Twilight/Harry Potter?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
R

romans1212

Hello all! I was just wondering what some of you think about the whole debate with Twilight and Harry Potter? A lot of people think it's sinful to read/watch these things. What are your opinions??? Should Christians not get involved with the Twilight series and Harry Potter?

K

karuna

I tend to think that people say these sorts of things so that they can be sure they're not sinning. Sure, on a daily basis I get needlessly angry, treat my neighbors poorly, indulge fear more than faith, etc., but at least I'm not reading a book about vampires or kid witches. It's not always the case, but I really do smell Phariseeism behind a lot of Christian critiques of popular culture.

Anyway, is it a sin? Perhaps, perhaps not. If it is a sin, what percentage can you read and still not sin? The first chapter? Surely the first sentence is ok. What happens if you don't know what the book is about and someone gives it to you to read? Will accidentally casting an eye on the page **** you?

"It is not what enters into the mouth that defiles the man, but what proceeds out of the mouth, this defiles the man."

T

tryingtofindhim

Hello all! I was just wondering what some of you think about the whole debate with Twilight and Harry Potter? A lot of people think it's sinful to read/watch these things. What are your opinions??? Should Christians not get involved with the Twilight series and Harry Potter?
I don't think it's something you can say its a sin for a Christian to do. I believe it's a personal conviction. I mean some people can handle listening to non Christian music, but some can't. Let the holy spirit convict you. :)

D

Daedalus

Vampires are nephilim. Which are demonic. Witchcraft is work of the devil and people's will in rebellion to God. So I dunno should we support and or watch them? =P

T

TWILIGHTROYALTY

I don't think it's something you can say its a sin for a Christian to do. I believe it's a personal conviction. I mean some people can handle listening to non Christian music, but some can't. Let the holy spirit convict you. :)
amen sister not to think ur a vampiire thats not the same or to rather spend ur last on this and not think twice but when its time to give in offerring u dont want to give ur last its all about not putting it ahead of God. God created this earth he knws we like books and such and he give us free will to do so now i had question pop up abut my name lol and ia m a twihard and a potter fan and i knw it a had balancing act and u may slip into in of outting it b4 God so it all on u dont let no one take ut free choice frm u make up ur mind for u nt what others judge u by

Cleante

May 7, 2010
There is nothing wrong with watching or reading Twilight or Harry Potter. It is when you spend so much time with these things that it becomes a sort of idol that takes precedent before God. The Ten Commandments and the Church Father's warned us about this.

Twilight and Harry Potter aren't the only things that can become idols for some people. My indulgence is Soccer and Tennis and there have been times where I have chosen those over going to the Divine Liturgy. It is indeed a balancing act. So go ahead and read or watch Harry Potter and Twilight, just make sure not to make it an idol..

In XC

Ioannes.

W

wwjd_kilden

agree with above poster

anything can be bad for you if you put if before God.... sports...work/ school... exercise.... it's all about priorities and how much things mean to you
if one repeatedly "exchange" God for worldly things, it don't matter if they by themselves are not bad

D

Dmurray

I don't believe we should watch or read anything of the such, because it was put here by the enemy. And it contains works of the enemy. It opens ourselves up to unwanted spirits.