Underactive Thyroid

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

tinydancer

I was just wondering does anyone else have an underactive thyroid?

How does it affect you? Anyone here willing to share personal experience?

U

Ugly

I have some minor problems with it, and a close friend of mine had hers blown out.

The two most common symptoms i can think of are sleeping frequently, depending on how under active. My friend takes medicine, and if she goes 2-3 days without it she will fall asleep every 2-3 hours. But yours may not be as bad so may not be as strong.
The other symptom i know of is being cold. For some reason even medicine doesn't seem to do a lot to help this symptom. I remember once walking into her house, it was about 70-75 outside, nice warm day, and when i entered her house the wall of heat actually made me stop in my tracks. She was standing in front of the oven, with it turned on, apparently she had been there a while as her whole place felt like a steamer. I could barely breath it was so hot. Yet she leaned against the door of that stove saying how good it felt. Now its not always that bad. Now that i also have some thyroid issues i'm cold a lot. So be prepared to be colder than everyone around you and how you may need to dress.

Quick check on WebMD has this list..
-Feeling tired, weak or depressed
-Dry skin, brittle nails
-Cold
-Constipation
-Memory problems or trouble thinking clearly
-Heavy or irregular menstrual cycles

Assuming you don't have any of the symptoms hit very strong, and stay on the meds, its not a huge issue. Maybe just have your med levels tested once a year and watch for a flare up of symptoms in between. If symptoms flare just have it checked again. Hope this helped.

T

tinydancer

i've had problems with my thyroid for about 5-6 years now although in hindsight they date further back than that. Oh the joys of looking back. Mine are pretty bad as the doc said my thyroid had pretty much stopped. I'm starting to not feel like myself again, problem is that when my meds aren't right i don't remember things very well so it's pretty hard to know whether i'm ok or not.

I was just wondering does anyone else feel like they are one person when all is fine and everything working properly and another which is like just a shell of your former self when you're on the wrong level of medication?

And does anyone else find that the whole changing medication levels just messes up their life so badly and makes everything stupidly hard to cope with?

Sorry if that's just me.

Aug 2, 2009
Have you tried supplementing with iodine? Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) is sometimes caused by iodine deficiency.

Nov 10, 2011
I have a advanced hypothyroidism, caused by another ailment, but it is the same thing. And yes Tinydancer, a change in medication is pretty stressful to your body. It can also lead to a variety of mental illness, cold intolerance (I know Ugly mentioned that), getting fat. It is a really fun disease to have....

T

tinydancer

Thank you :) Well, i've going to talk to my doc so i'll see what she suggests too.

Indeed, changes in medication can be pretty stressful for you body, that's why it affects so much of us. Fun times.. lol

I know i don't have mental illnesses, i just end up feeling a bit like two people because when everything is going well i'm a pretty active person and can think straight and do my job (interpreting) but when things are so good i feel like i can't be me because i can't do half of the things i normally do or enjoy. I mainly just wanted to know that i wasn't the only one who has ever felt that... ?

Feb 4, 2012
I have a friend who thyroid problems cause symptoms of schizophrenia

T

tinydancer

I'm not like that, just that i'm quite an active person and when i've not got the energy to do that i don't feel as much like me the person i know and love and others know and love because i can't do the things i love. I'm not unhappy, just tired and can't think as clearly. Am i making sense without sounding like i have a mental illness?

Nov 10, 2011
I'm not like that, just that i'm quite an active person and when i've not got the energy to do that i don't feel as much like me the person i know and love and others know and love because i can't do the things i love. I'm not unhappy, just tired and can't think as clearly. Am i making sense without sounding like i have a mental illness?

I would like to add..if you are having schizophrenic symptoms...you might not be aware of it :p

T

tinydancer

my mum works in mental health wards at hospitals. She hasn't picked up on anything...

Nov 10, 2011
my mum works in mental health wards at hospitals. She hasn't picked up on anything...

How would you know?

Maybe you are so crazy you just think your mom works in mental health.

Maybe you are in a hospital and the person you think is your mom is a nurse.

Aug 2, 2009
Thank you :) Well, i've going to talk to my doc so i'll see what she suggests too.

Indeed, changes in medication can be pretty stressful for you body, that's why it affects so much of us. Fun times.. lol

I know i don't have mental illnesses, i just end up feeling a bit like two people because when everything is going well i'm a pretty active person and can think straight and do my job (interpreting) but when things are so good i feel like i can't be me because i can't do half of the things i normally do or enjoy. I mainly just wanted to know that i wasn't the only one who has ever felt that... ?
Someone very close to me has had thyroid problems for the past few years. It started out as low thyroid but after they started treating her it was always either hypo or hyper and they kept trying to adjust her medication so she finally had it removed. It can really make someone stress a lot and that's what she went through. It does affect one's mood. Hypo makes you feel depressed and hyper makes you feel rushed and stressed (but I'm sure you already knew that).

Last edited:
T

tinydancer

How would you know?

Maybe you are so crazy you just think your mom works in mental health.

Maybe you are in a hospital and the person you think is your mom is a nurse.

Look, i can't tell whether you're joking or being serious right now but it's not funny and if you're being serious i'm finding it really annoying because i don't feel like you're listening to what i'm saying of how i am. I know i'm mentally well, i know where my mum works and i know my thyroid isn't ok. I only opened this thread to see whether other people had similar experiences. That is all.

Also, i don't want to offend or argue with anyone, that really wasn't the point of anyone of this. I see no point in arguing.

Nov 10, 2011
Look, i can't tell whether you're joking or being serious right now but it's not funny and if you're being serious i'm finding it really annoying because i don't feel like you're listening to what i'm saying of how i am. I know i'm mentally well, i know where my mum works and i know my thyroid isn't ok. I only opened this thread to see whether other people had similar experiences. That is all.

Also, i don't want to offend or argue with anyone, that really wasn't the point of anyone of this. I see no point in arguing.

Im joking 100%

T

tinydancer

Ok :) Sorry, as i said i can't think clearly...

Nov 10, 2011
Ok :) Sorry, as i said i can't think clearly...

Most crazy people can't

Ok I'm done lol.

Seriously, hypothyroidism can be very serious. You are smart to go see a doctor.

God bless and good luck with it.

T

tinydancer

Lol, normally it takes me longer to build up the courage to go see them but God gives strength and courage. I'm sure that is the only reason i booked an appt :) Yay for God. And thank you :)

B

burnsm

I have congenital hypothyroidism, and wasn't diagnosed until before I turned 2.

T

tinydancer

how do you find life with the hypothyroidism burnsm?

T

TC

Hi! Many of my family members hav under active thyroid and I can say that each persons body is different and can hav different symptoms, mine causes my muscles all over my body to twitch, and some days ill get a specific muscle pain almost asif it just stoped cramping, I also hav very little strength..but the general symptoms like dry skin and tiredness are found mostly by everyone with under active thyroid...