Uni Placement

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Pilkington

Jan 13, 2015
Please pray for my fellow student who will have to go on placement on her own tomorrow, we were on placement last week together. I am unwell and so can't go as I can't risk infecting aready ill patients. I feel like I am letting everyone down also don't want it to have a negative impact for her or myself.

crmvet

Jul 4, 2013
Philippians 4:19

levi85

Jul 2, 2013
Lord heal Pilkington and bless her and her fellow students, let all the infections stop. In Jesus name, Amen!

D

Depleted

Please pray for my fellow student who will have to go on placement on her own tomorrow, we were on placement last week together. I am unwell and so can't go as I can't risk infecting aready ill patients. I feel like I am letting everyone down also don't want it to have a negative impact for her or myself.
Dumb question: What's "placement?" Is that like student teaching, but for nurses? For now I'll pray like that's what it means.

Lord, it's frightening to go into the environment of our future career for the first time. It's terrifying when you thought you'd have someone there who understands that, but now even she can't go, so you're all alone. Give Pilkington's study partner the courage and wisdom to pull that off. And then give Pilkington the same courage and wisdom to do the same when she is feeling better. And I don't think anyone would mind if you hurried off her illness too, so she can face it without building up the worry of that first day or infecting patients.

Thank you for getting her as far as you have. Please keep her mind as full as her heart and spirit for her good and her patients' good. Amen.

Dec 19, 2009
You aren't letting anybody down.

Pilkington

Jan 13, 2015
Thank you for praying Depleted and yes it is kind of like what student teachers do, yes kind of like teaching practise. As a Physician Associate student (Physician Assistant US) I am currently in Uni four days a week and one day a week on placement in a hospital department or in a GP practice, learning to do certain procedures, like inserting cannula, taking blood etc. This year it is predominately getting a feel for the different departments. On Tuesday I was ment to be in A and E, taking histories, poss taking blood helping where I could under the direction of the doctors. Next year I am on placement five days a week, every three weeks I am back in uni for one day. Before I can take a National exam I have to complete 1600 hours of placements and have certain skills signed off.

It is amazing how God works things out. Another student on my course was ment to be in the Gastro department (endoscopy) the consultants wasn't in and so had nothing to do so in the end he went down and worked in A and E with the person I was ment to be doing the placement with. I will get the change to do A and E in a couple of weeks time again.

Also praise God my cough and cold is improving. I was back in Uni today, learning more critical care medicine and practicing putting in different airways.

Last edited:
D

Depleted

Thank you for praying Depleted and yes it is kind of like what student teachers do, yes kind of like teaching practise. As a Physician Associate student (Physician Assistant US) I am currently in Uni four days a week and one day a week on placement in a hospital department or in a GP practice, learning to do certain procedures, like inserting cannula, taking blood etc. This year it is predominately getting a feel for the different departments. On Tuesday I was ment to be in A and E, taking histories, poss taking blood helping where I could under the direction of the doctors. Next year I am on placement five days a week, every three weeks I am back in uni for one day. Before I can take a National exam I have to complete 1600 hours of placements and have certain skills signed off.

It is amazing how God works things out. Another student on my course was ment to be in the Gastro department (endoscopy) the consultants wasn't in and so had nothing to do so in the end he went down and worked in A and E with the person I was meant to be doing the placement with. I will get the change to do A and E in a couple of weeks time again.

Also praise God my cough and cold is improving. I was back in Uni today, learning more critical care medicine and practicing putting in different airways.
Is it a little frightening I understood all your medical lingo but A and E? Last October, I would have only caught taking blood (phlebotomy) and Gastro.

Pilkington

Jan 13, 2015
Depleted, A and E is Accident and Emergency. Yes it is frightening but also exciting. Frightening when consultants decide to ask you loads of questions, or you have to do things for the first time. Fear is a good thing it helps to prevent you making mistakes. Over confidence is dangerous, you need to know your limitations. At the moment it is tough as we do one day in a department and then on somewhere else. After 13 weeks in hospital departments we will be going to General practice for 13 weeks. It is scarry the amount we have to know and the competencies we have to have signed off. Yesterday I was learning how to insert nasopharyngeal tubes, put in auropharngeal tubes, intubate and bag and mask. We are blessed with an amazing course director whose whole aim is we are safe practioners, she is a former A and E doctor and knows so much.

It is hard with lots of exams, first term I came close to quiting but I am certain God opened up the door to do this course (not what I expected to be doing at 44). It is amazing how everything came together. We are fortunate that most of the medical staff I have met want Physician Associates particularly as it is relatively new within the UK only around 200-300 Physician Associates working in the UK. The first PA's in the UK qualified around 5 years ago so we are still having to break ground and in certain places there is opposition. My background is a PhD in pharmacology and in my dim and distant past I used to work in research on cardiovascular disease. I wanted a job where I could make a difference to peples lives.

Pilkington

Jan 13, 2015
Blue ladybug thank you for the Bible verse it has really encouraged me.