Universalism

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
A

agirlandherguitar

I felt like I should post this here in young adults because the general Bible discussion forum is just packed. There are a lot of topics about "who goes to hell" and whatnot, but that isn't really what my post is about. If this gets bumped then let it get bumped.

There seems to me a rising popularity in the universalism belief... or at least I am just becoming aware of it! It seems like such a safe, non biased belief. Nice and comfortable. All religions lead to the one true God. We all be saved in the end. Hurray!

Ung... I just don't even know where to start. While I respect those who have different beliefs (as I hope they respect mine which is rarely the case let's be honest) I just can't accept the whole "all religions lead to God" because it just isn't true. God does not contradict Himself (many will use the excuse that He does as an excuse to diffuse your argument) so if all religions lead to God then why is there so much war and bloodshed? Why is everybody fighting, claiming their belief is the true one over another? If we all worshiped the same God then there wouldn't be a need for fighting.

I had a conversation with one of my dear friends. They were raised Catholic but consider themselves more Christian (yes, I know, some will argue that Catholics are/aren't "Christian" but let's put that aside for a moment). Yet they accept this whole view that God reveals Himself to people in different forms. While I can't deny that God will appear as He wishes to whomever He chooses that doesn't mean that He is really Buddha or Shiva in disguise to appeal to Eastern beliefs. That seems deceiving. I also can't say that there are some people who never knew Christ in some countries that won't be a part of God's kingdom but I can't tell if that is my own comfort level speaking over what is actually true. The Bible is pretty clear about who inherits God's kingdom. Is it possible that God makes exceptions depending on the person and what they did on Earth?

It's complicated when you start talking to people about this because they want to believe that nobody goes to hell or suffers the second death. I admit that I don't like that fact myself but that is what it is: A fact. It's pretty interesting what kind of alternatives we come up with to side step God's truth, which can seem hard at times but who are we to decide who goes where?

Also, after reading this post it makes me think about all of the disagreement WITHIN our own beliefs. There are so many different churches out there and while most of them have Jesus in common there are all kinds of different, man made doctrine and rituals. Some churches even blend religions from other counties and other churches blend evolutionism as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Siberian_Khatru

All these 'isms' are fatiguing.

Not to step on any toes, but the biggest problem with Christianity, is Christians.

All religions lead to the one true God. We all be saved in the end. Hurray!
Lol. I remember Ravi Zacharias touching upon this when he was confronted by a supporter of the "both hands" system. After the guy finished his defense, Ravi responded:

"So you're telling me that - in a both hands system - it's either the both hand system, or the 'either-or' system?"

Proponent: "... it does seem kind of contradictory, doesn't it...?"

Ravi: "Yes! Because I can tell you that if I step out into the street, it is either going to be me, or it is going to be the bus!"

AAAPlus

Aug 2, 2011
Not sure what to say about universalists. It's a convenient thing to believe that everyone goes to heaven, but in reality if you actually BELIEVE in heaven, you would be a fool to simply accept that everyone will go there. People like that say they believe in heaven, but they don't. They just like the idea of a heaven. They don't believe one actually exists. To believe that there is a heaven changes everything about someone.

If someone hears about Christ and rejects it their whole lives, they will not inherit Heaven.

There are people who have never heard about Christ that will inherit Heaven. Take Gideon for example. And Job. And Samuel. Basically any Old Testament hero. Even Romans said that Abraham had faith and it was credited to him as righteousness. He had never heard of Christ, but he had sincere faith, so Christ saved him anyway. I believe there are people like that still today.