What Do You Know About Demons? (article I found interesting)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
Came across this article on demons. Some may agree to it. Some may not. I did find it interesting. Anyone have thoughts on this? Please give scriptural references.
https://www.christiancourier.com/articles/1576-what-do-you-know-about-demons

[h=1]What Do You Know About Demons?[/h] by Wayne Jackson
The study of “demons” is a fascinating yet challenging topic in biblical literature. There is much to be learned from a survey of this theme.
Admittedly, however, there is some mystery as well. It is not that the sacred text cannot be understood; that is plain enough. The puzzlement lies in the fact that we are not witnesses to the phenomena that the original saints were. Demon possessions during the time of Christ’s public ministry, and subsequently in the first century to a lesser degree, have not been extended in the ages since that time.
Unfortunately, not all Bible students understand this reality. Recently a misguided brother in Christ has attempted to argue the case that demon possession is a modern day reality (Dan R. Owen, “The Powers That Be,” Gospel Advocate, December, 2014. 20-22). In view of this, we offer the following observations.
[h=2]Demons: What Do You Know About Them?[/h]One of the most controversial topics to be discussed in recent years is that of “demons.” The subject has been given wide publicity by a variety of sensational books, television shows, and movies, such as The Exorcist or more recently NBC’s Constantine.
Many people, upon considering this theme, have been led to believe they are demon possessed, or else they believe they know someone who has been taken over by evil spirits.
What is the truth regarding this matter? What were the demons of biblical fame? What was their origin? What powers did they possess? Why did they enter certain persons and not others? Do they still possess people today? These questions engage the attention of thinking people.
The answers to the foregoing inquiries will not be found in the cheap books and shoddy movies of our perverse society. Rather, any valid information with which the human race has been indulged will be in the inspired Scriptures.
[h=2]Demon Possession in the New Testament[/h]The truth of the matter is, the Bible does not give a systematic treatment of demons. When one has examined every biblical reference to the subject, there still are unanswered questions.
The subject of demons is only introduced in the New Testament as the topic relates to other matters of importance; it is therefore incidental. We are merely given sufficient minimal information—information necessary for the establishment of more important truths.
The subject of demonology thus was obviously not an end within itself in New Testament doctrine.
Demon possession was a historical reality of first century society; and no one, who respects the accuracy of the New Testament record, will deny this.
[h=2]Origin of Demons[/h]Spirit entities, known as demons, did inhabit and afflict human bodies during that age. However, the question of demon origin is not spelled out in the Scriptures. Several theories have been advanced by Bible students, most of which, incidentally, may be dismissed immediately.
Some, for instance, have suggested that demons were the disembodied spirits of a strange pre-Adam race of men that once lived upon the earth in that fictional “gap period” that is supposed to have fallen between Genesis 1:1 and 1:2.
The problem with that theory is this: there is not a shred of biblical evidence that any such gap period ever existed! That idea was born in the feverish minds of those who were panicked by the assertions of the evolutionists, and who thus sought to force the Bible into harmony with evolutionary chronology. How could there have been a pre-Adam race of men if Adam was the first man (1 Cor. 15:45)?
Others have contended that demons resulted from the cohabitation of angels with some of the women who lived before the Flood. This theory is based upon a misunderstanding of Genesis 6:1-4, and the phrase that states: “the sons of God came in unto the daughters of men, and they bore children unto them.”
However this cannot be correct since Christ clearly taught that angels are sexless beings, incapable of such unions (cf. Mt. 22:30). In the Genesis context the “sons of God” were the righteous lineage from Seth, while the “daughters of men” represented the wicked descendants of Cain.
The other suggested views on the identity of demons are these.
First, demons may have been the spirits of wicked dead men whom God, in harmony with his divine purposes, permitted to leave the Hadean realm to indwell some people. Alexander Campbell argued this position in his lecture on, “Demonology,” found in his volume, Popular Lectures and Addresses.
Others have contended that demons were fallen angels who were allowed to escape their confinement to similarly accomplish some component in the divine plan (cf. Jude 6). Charles Hodge, a leading Presbyterian theologian, in his work on Systematic Theology contended for this viewpoint, which is most unlikely.
Regardless of the ambiguity relative to demonic origin, the New Testament clearly recognizes the fact of first-century demoniacs.
[h=2]The Nature of Demons[/h]As to their nature, demons were “spirits.” Note how Matthew interchanges the terms: “they brought unto him [Jesus] many possessed with demons: and he cast out the spirits with a word” (8:16).
Since Christ declared that: “a spirit has not flesh and bones” (Lk. 24:39), it is certain that demons were not physical beings.
Concerning their character, demons are represented as malevolent entities. They were unclean, evil spirits—under the sway of him commonly known as “the prince of demons,” i.e., Beelzebub or Satan (cf. Mt. 12:24).
Demons were intelligent beings, possessing true knowledge (Mk. 1: 24); moreover they could exercise both volition and locomotion when permitted to do so (Mt. 12:44, 45).
Demon possession frequently resulted in physical and mental illness (though such illnesses were clearly distinguished from the demons themselves — cf. Mt. 4:24). Those possessed of demons were at times smitten with dumbness (i.e., muteness) (Mt. 9:32), blindness (Mt. 12:32), convulsions (Mk. 9:18), epilepsy (Mt. 9: 32), etc. Occasionally they were endowed with superhuman strength (Mk. 5:4; Acts 19:16). The New
Testament provides no specific reasons why demons entered into particular individuals; they inhabited men (Mt. 9:32), women (Lk. 8:2), and even little children on occasion (Mk. 7:25-30).
[h=2]Purpose of Demons[/h]Since demons were obviously under the control of God ultimately (Lk. 10:17ff), why were they allowed to enter into, and to afflict, those ancient people?
Apparently demon possession was divinely permitted by God so that the supreme authority of Christ might be made manifest in their expulsion. As the Savior revealed his control over the forces of nature (Mk. 4:37-39), disease (Mk. 1:12), material things (Jn. 2: 9), and even death (Jn. 11:44), so also must the Son of God demonstrate his power over the “spirit” realm.
His authority over unclean spirits heralded his approaching regime. He declared: “If I by the finger [power] of God cast out demons, then is the kingdom of God come upon you” (Lk. 11:20).
The authority of Jesus over evil spirits amazed the Jews. They exclaimed: “What is this? A new teaching! With authority he commands even the unclean spirits, and they obey him” (Mk. 1:27).
The Lord also empowered his disciples to expel demons, and they did so (Lk. 10:17), except on one occasion when their own lack of faith hindered their efforts (cf. Mk. 9:28; Mt. 17:18-20).
[h=2]Demons of the First Century Unlike So-called Demon Possession of Modern Times[/h]There are about eighty references to demons in the New Testament. A careful study of the details in these cases reveal they have nothing in common with modern alleged episodes “demon possession.”
Shortly after The Exorcist movies was released, a description of some purported modern cases of demon possession was published in an article titled, “The Exorcism Frenzy” appearing in Newsweek magazine (Feb. 11, 1974). Note some of the contrasts between these alleged “modern examples,” and the circumstances of the first century.
[h=3]Private exorcisms[/h]Most alleged demon “exorcisms” today are secluded, back-room affairs that are only later publicized. Yet when Jesus expelled evil spirits, his miracles were publicly viewed, by astonished multitudes (Lk. 4:36).
[h=3]Difficult and complex exorcisms[/h]The Lord and his apostles could expel demons with but a word, effecting immediate results (Mt. 17:18; Acts 19:11-12). However, a Jesuit Priest, who was supposed to have “exorcised” the young boy who served as the main character in William Blatty’s book, The Exorcist, was said to require two months and a ceremony employed twenty times, to effect that alleged miracle!
More recently, a Catholic Priest in San Francisco claimed that he was able to cast out a demon after only fourteen attempts!
[h=3]No Horror Scenes[/h]The demoniacs of the New Testament era were afflicted, either bodily or mentally, by some malfunction of otherwise normal attributes. Those cases involved no grotesque details.
In contrast, however, a Roman Catholic “exorcist,” Luigi Novagese, claimed: “A possessed man’s skin turned white like paper, his teeth became transparent, his eyes bulged with balls of flame, and fire issued from his mouth.”
If one may whimsically say so, modern “spirits” are apparently considerably more dramatically qualified than their first century counterparts!
[h=3]Absurdities[/h]It also is very significant that the New Testament record is not cluttered with the absurdities common to so-called contemporary cases. Catholic Priest Karl Patzelt claimed that during one of his “exorcising” sessions, a demon took a bite out of a sandwich! A magazine photo shows a picture with a perfect set of teeth prints in the sandwich.
One cannot but wonder though, how the demon could have bitten into the sandwich, since spirits have no teeth (cf. Lk. 24:39), and even why such an urge would have occurred in the absence of a physical appetite!
[h=3]No cursing or blasphemy[/h]Modern demoniacs are described as frequently uttering “fierce curses” and “bursts of blasphemy.” In the New Testament, however, demons always were very respectful of deity. They believed in the one God (Jas. 2:19); they acknowledged Jesus as the “Holy One of God” (Mk. 1:24), and the “Son of God” (Mk. 3:11)—who ultimately would banish them to torment (Mt. 8:29). Never did they blaspheme deity.
[h=3]No modern day miracles[/h]Finally, it must be observed that the ability to cast out demons was a miraculous sign which demonstrated that the person with that gift was a proclaimer of God’s revealed truth. The gift was to confirm the divine message (Mk. 16:17-20; Heb. 2: 3, 4).
Modern exorcists are constantly contradicting themselves and their fellow exorcists, as well as the written Word of God. Their very testimony is self-incriminating.
With the termination of the supernatural era of the early church (cf. I Cor. 13:8ff), demon possession, and the corresponding gift of expulsion, ceased. Does it seem reasonable to assume that since there is no gift of demon expulsion available today, God would allow demons to continue entering and afflicting his human creatures?
That would certainly suggest an imbalance of power and would put man at a great disadvantage. A careful study of the New Testament data reveals a gradual cessation of demonic activity as the apostolic age drew toward its conclusion.
The highly respected Guy N. Woods correctly noted:
“Are people today afflicted by demon possession? Obviously, not. Even a casual examination of the instances chronicled in the New Testament will show that the circumstances attending demon possession then are not characteristic of our day” (Questions and Answers. Vol. I, Freed-Hardeman College. Henderson, TN. 1976. 234).
Demon possession is not a phenomenon of this age, and affirmations to the contrary are seriously misguided.
See also: Demons: Ancient Superstition or Historical Reality?
[h=6]Scripture References[/h] Genesis 1:1; 1 Corinthians 15:45; Genesis 6:1-4; Matthew 22:30; Jude 6; Luke 24:39; Matthew 12:24; Mark 1:24; Matthew 12:44, 45; Matthew 4:24; Matthew 9:32; Matthew 12:32; Mark 9:18; Mark 5:4; Acts 19:16; Luke 8:2; Mark 7:25-30; Luke 10:17; Mark 4:37-39; Mark 1:12; John 2:9; John 11:44; Luke 11:20; Mark 1:27; Mark 9:28; Matthew 17:18-20; Luke 4:36; Matthew 17:18; Acts 19:11-12; James 2:19; Mark 3:11; Matthew 8:29; Mark 16:17-20; Hebrews 2:3, 4

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
I am also aware this topic will probably open a can of worms. I don't care if you agree with it or not. this is meant for discussion and maybe a little bit of education. If you cant be mature and respectful just get out of the thread. I am not on here much these days so the ongoing drama fests in threads do not entice me one bit.

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
I know I don't like talking about them. :(

Budman

Mar 9, 2014
Interesting.

In the "origins of demons" part, the author seems to dismiss the notion demons are fallen angels. I think the most likely origin of demons is, in fact, that they are fallen angels who followed Lucifer into rebellion.

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
Interesting.

In the "origins of demons" part, the author seems to dismiss the notion demons are fallen angels. I think the most likely origin of demons is, in fact, that they are fallen angels who followed Lucifer into rebellion.
I noticed that, and thought that it was strange that was left out.

W

wwjd_kilden

I think we should spend as little time as possible dealing with satan and his demons

Sure, we should be on our guard, but studying demons? That sounds like it borders on spiritually dangerous.
It would be wiser to study the holy spirit. If it is active in us, it will discern other spirits for us

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
I think we should spend as little time as possible dealing with satan and his demons

Sure, we should be on our guard, but studying demons? That sounds like it borders on spiritually dangerous.
It would be wiser to study the holy spirit. If it is active in us, it will discern other spirits for us
How can you be on guard if you don't know about them?

Elizabeth619

Jul 19, 2011
I see a constant thing going on in CC these days. Where people want to avoid certain topics because we should only concentrate on this or that. Well, if God wanted us uninformed about demons or any other topic then they wouldn't be in scripture. The article posts bible verses to back up his claims and whether some want to admit it or not it IS something that needs to be studied. Every bit of info in the article can be found in scripture. We aren't talking about other books. We aren't talking about worshipping demons here. We are talking about being properly educated so we aren't astray. We can easily be misinformed about Satan, demons, sin ect and it will still put our souls in danger.

I have seen people come on here claiming they are possessed by the devil because they don't know any different. I have seen people on here follow cult leaders because they were never educated on actual evil. If one doesn't want to discuss the topic then don't it's simple, but it's not something that should be outright avoided.

Dec 1, 2014
Elizabeth619...everything you stated is true, and more. I have been studying demonology for years and have written a book about it. Barnes & Nobel now carries it. Sad, but most 'mainline" churches, except charismatic/evangelical/Pentacostal, dismiss this topic or rarely mention it. Therefore, even in this forum, you will see by the responses that most "CHRISTIANS" still choose to ignore their enemy, never knowing anything about demons. Thus, they are weak when demonic activity is all around them. A holy spirit filled child of GOD is the victor over demons...but how would they know that? The BIBLE is full of satanic events that were overcome by the Supernatural power of GOD. I join you as a fellow warrior against demons....let's compare notes! lol

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
I was reading a thread just last night on the book of Mark (thank you, GodIsSalvation! :)) and it struck me how the demon possessed boy seemed to be suffering epilepsy as well as other ailments that caused him to be mute, and deaf as well, while the demon itself could both hear and speak. It has occurred to me before that demon possession often manifests as some kind of disease or disorder, and while such diseases could be said to have a life of their own, whose aim is the death of the host, we hardly think of them as being capable of speaking or being an individualized entity with a will of their own... and yet that is how they were seen when Jesus walked this world.

May 15, 2013
I am also aware this topic will probably open a can of worms. I don't care if you agree with it or not. this is meant for discussion and maybe a little bit of education. If you cant be mature and respectful just get out of the thread. I am not on here much these days so the ongoing drama fests in threads do not entice me one bit.

Daemonologie — in full Daemonologie, In Forme of a Dialogie, Divided into three Bookes. By James Rx — was written and published in 1597[SUP][1][/SUP] by King James VI of Scotland (later also James I of England). The book endorses the practice of witch hunting. James begins the book:
The fearefull aboundinge at this time in this countrie, of these detestable slaves of the Devil, the Witches or enchaunters, hath moved me (beloved reader) to dispatch in post, this following treatise of mine (...) to resolve the doubting (...) both that such assaults of Satan are most certainly practised, and that the instrument thereof merits most severely to be punished.
The work is in the form of a dialogue between characters called "Philomathes" and "Epistemon".
In writing the book, King James was influenced by his personal involvement in the North Berwick witch trials (1590). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daemonologie

[video]https://youtu.be/ICGFbEYyNdE[/video]

W

wwjd_kilden

I see a constant thing going on in CC these days. Where people want to avoid certain topics because we should only concentrate on this or that. Well, if God wanted us uninformed about demons or any other topic then they wouldn't be in scripture. The article posts bible verses to back up his claims and whether some want to admit it or not it IS something that needs to be studied. Every bit of info in the article can be found in scripture. We aren't talking about other books. We aren't talking about worshipping demons here. We are talking about being properly educated so we aren't astray. We can easily be misinformed about Satan, demons, sin ect and it will still put our souls in danger.

I have seen people come on here claiming they are possessed by the devil because they don't know any different. I have seen people on here follow cult leaders because they were never educated on actual evil. If one doesn't want to discuss the topic then don't it's simple, but it's not something that should be outright avoided.
Did Jesus' disciples study demons? They encountered them, they cast them out, but where does it say we need to study them?

blue_ladybug

Feb 21, 2014
I was reading a thread just last night on the book of Mark (thank you, GodIsSalvation! :)) and it struck me how the demon possessed boy seemed to be suffering epilepsy as well as other ailments that caused him to be mute, and deaf as well, while the demon itself could both hear and speak. It has occurred to me before that demon possession often manifests as some kind of disease or disorder, and while such diseases could be said to have a life of their own, whose aim is the death of the host, we hardly think of them as being capable of speaking or being an individualized entity with a will of their own... and yet that is how they were seen when Jesus walked this world.

If I hear one more person say epilepsy, or ANY illness, is caused by demons, I'm gonna scream!! :mad: I am sick to death of being told that..

ForthAngel

Aug 31, 2012
Interesting.

There was a weird discussion about this here on this forum years ago. Some had presented the idea that demons were not fallen angels but the lost spirits of fallen angel/human progeny (the men of renown apparently) that died during the flood, their spirits having no place to go so they roamed the earth. Not sure if that is what the author is hinting at, but apparently some people believe this. Not sure what the source of this belief is, but some argued this before here on this forum.

Honestly, there isn't much in scripture to identify them one way or the other unless I'm missing something. I don't remember them in the old testament either. They just seemed to spring up in the new testament unless I'm again missing something. But I've only been through the OT once so far (first five books, proverbs, and ecclesiastes much more), so again, I may have missed something.

I really haven't looked much into these things as I think the study of demons leads us to places we shouldn't be looking.

May 15, 2013
There was a weird discussion about this here on this forum years ago. Some had presented the idea that demons were not fallen angels but the lost spirits of fallen angel/human progeny (the men of renown apparently) that died during the flood, their spirits having no place to go so they roamed the earth. Not sure if that is what the author is hinting at, but apparently some people believe this. Not sure what the source of this belief is, but some argued this before here on this forum.

Honestly, there isn't much in scripture to identify them one way or the other unless I'm missing something. I don't remember them in the old testament either. They just seemed to spring up in the new testament unless I'm again missing something. But I've only been through the OT once so far (first five books, proverbs, and ecclesiastes much more), so again, I may have missed something.

I really haven't looked much into these things as I think the study of demons leads us to places we shouldn't be looking.
The reason why the Jews did not believed in demons in the old testament, it is because they had thought that all the angels were from God, like the one that had came to visited them during the first passover at the time of the exodus; they called it an angel of the lord, but instead God has unleashed them unto the people, but were given strict orders to not harm any of those that is protected by the blood.

Exodus 12:23 When the Lord goes through the land to strike down the Egyptians, he will see the blood on the top and sides of the doorframe and will pass over that doorway, and he will not permit the destroyer to enter your houses and strike you down.

Job 2:6 The Lord said to Satan, “Very well, then, he is in your hands; but you must spare his life.”

2 Samuel 24:16 When the angel stretched out his hand to destroy Jerusalem, the Lord relented concerning the disaster and said to the angel who was afflicting the people, “Enough! Withdraw your hand.” The angel of the Lord was then at the threshing floor of Araunah the Jebusite.

Revelation 9:11 They had as king over them the angel of the Abyss, whose name in Hebrew is Abaddon and in Greek is Apollyon (that is, Destroyer).

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
A good and interesting article Elizabeth619. The author is right to suggest that we don't know that much about them, we have only what was needed for us to know regarding in the inbreaking of the Kingdom in the person and work of Jesus.

K

Kaycie

There is nothing wrong with talking about anything that the bible talks about. Anyone who does not want to discuss a certain subject can move on to another subject.

Josefnospam

May 29, 2014
I know very little about demons. I do know the one who has control over them and his name is Jesus Christ the Lord

Feb 11, 2016
Interesting.

Heres ones called evil angels and evil spirits, and then theres that lying spirit, all of these are sent by the LORD

Psalm 78:49
He cast upon them the fierceness of his anger, wrath, and indignation,
and trouble, by sending
evil angels among them.

1 Sam 16:14
But the Spirit of the LORD departed from Saul,
and an
evil spirit from the LORD troubled him.

1 Kings 22:23
Now therefore, behold, the LORD hath put
a lying spirit in the mouth of all these thy prophets,
and the LORD hath spoken evil concerning thee.

That last one, that lying spirit (which is singular) is put into the mouth of these thy prophets (which be many) a singular spirit would be working in them (not of the truth) but of a lie (lying spirit).

Sounds similar to God sending a strong delusion that they would believe a lie though dont it?