What do you think?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
Is God...

One being with 3 expressions/ essences, or substances?

Or 3 seperate beings who are one God?

(note that answering this isn't a big deal.. if the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are all equally God eg.. Father is God.. Jesus is God.. Holy Spirit is God)

K

Kite

...Like an egg with the shell, the white, and the yolk.

Jan 8, 2009
I think the answer is somewhere between or a combination of both a) and b).

The Son, the Father, and the Spirit are three distinct and separate persons (not personalities) of the one God. Yet all three together share in teh same nature of Divinity and work as One. To be picky, the Father and the Spirit are more God than the Son, if we look at their function and roles in the old and new testament. The Father is God, the Spirit is God, the Son is the Son of God. But the Son and the Father are One, so the Son is as much God as is the Father...yet, only with proper ordering of the God-head - the Father has placed all things under the Son's feet, until the end, when the Son Himself will place Himself under the Father. and hand over the Kingdom (1 Cor 15:28, 15:24). The Father is always greater than the Son (John 14:28, Mark 13:32).

Sometimes , the Father is referred to as the one God (not Jesus), but Jesus is referred to as the one Lord:
1Co 8:6 But to us thereisbut one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we in him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we by him.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2009
So in summary , there is One God, the Father, and one mediator between God and man, Jesus Christ the Son of God.
And the Spirit, is the Spirit of God, and who God is (God is Spirit John 4:24). The Father is the Spirit (the Spirit was the Father of Jesus), and the Spirit is the Father.
Jesus should not be thought of as part of the "one God", that leads to the confusion - He is the Son of the one God. And by virtue of His Son-ship, from our point of view, Jesus is Divine and is also worshipped and glorified with the Father, as God.

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2009
The doctrine of the Trinity confuses things somewhat because it fails to consider the relationship between the Father and the Son in any great detail, that the Son was subject to the Father on earth, and is still subject to the Father to a certain extent as Jesus is at the right hand side of God, and is not on the throne. (Heb 12:2). that is where the Father is. And as for the Spirit, I sometimes think of the Father as simply being the Spirit's presence in heaven, there He is in all His power might and glory. Our taste of the Spirit, is somewhat less. The Spirit is the Father's Spirit, but often gets put second place to the Father and the Son. When I think the ordering should be - Father-Spirit, Son. Not Father, Son, Spirit. See, you can blaspheme the Father or the Son and be forgiven, but blaspheme the Spirit and you can't be forgiven. The Spirit ranks right up there with the Father. The Spirit is actually the Father of Christ (Luke 1:35, Matt 10:20).

Last edited:
M

MaggieMye

God is: Father, Son, Holy Spirit
Man is: Body, Soul and Spirit
Body is: Bone, flesh, blood
Soul is: Mind, will, emotion
Spirit is: Consciences, communion, wisdom

A woman is a mother, daughter, friend
A man is a father, son, friend
I don't know why it is so hard for so many to understand that GOD is three in one when WE are also, multiples even of, three in one.
Maggie

F

faithwarrior

Well put MaggieMye...

Jan 8, 2009
I don't think we should be defining God by how we are created. That is assuming 1 to 1 correlation between who God is, and how He chose to create us humans.

Comparing God to the human body is quite different. For example, the Father is not equivalent to the human body, the Father is as much Spirit as the Holy Spirit. In humans, the body is less important than the spirit/soul, yet in the God-head the Father is the most important.

The human body is not three separate persons that work in unison as God is, but three parts.

Last edited:

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
The only problem I have with 3 seperate beings is if we get to heaven and meet all 3 -- that multiple Gods.. polytheism

M

MaggieMye

"I don't think we should be defining God by how we are created."

We don't He says in His word that WE are created in HIS image.
Maggie

Jan 8, 2009
As I said, we shouldn't be confusing the creation with the Creator. We shouldn't say, I have two arms, therefore God must have two arms. I have a body, soul and spirit, therefore God must have a body, soul and spirit. God the Father is Spirit and doesn't have a body. So why compare Him to our physical body? At the time Genesis was written that says man was created in God's image, the trinity doctrine did not exist. What did the author mean? He meant created in God's likeness in nature..not necessarily physical nature - God is Spirit.

The trinity doctrine is a simplistic doctrine to define a complex God.
It's like trying to measure the Eiffel tower with a short ruler. The confusion with defining God arises because the ruler we use is too short.
The trinity doctrine does not account for the inter-relationships between the Father and the Son, or the Son and the Spirit etc. It gives the impression that the Son and the Father are co-equal with God. But as Scripture reveals, the Son is still subject to the Father's will and authority, and only the Father knew when the Son would return. It puts a different slant on the Trinity diagram as not a equilateral triangle with perfectly equal sides, but more of a skewed triangle towards the Father with a slightly shorter side for the Son.

Last edited:
Jan 31, 2009
As I said, we shouldn't be confusing the creation with the Creator. We shouldn't say, I have two arms, therefore God must have two arms. I have a body, soul and spirit, therefore God must have a body, soul and spirit. God the Father is Spirit and doesn't have a body. So why compare Him to our physical body? At the time Genesis was written that says man was created in God's image, the trinity doctrine did not exist. What did the author mean? He meant created in God's likeness in nature..not necessarily physical nature - God is Spirit.

The trinity doctrine is a simplistic doctrine to define a complex God.
It's like trying to measure the Eiffel tower with a short ruler. The confusion with defining God arises because the ruler we use is too short.
The trinity doctrine does not account for the inter-relationships between the Father and the Son, or the Son and the Spirit etc. It gives the impression that the Son and the Father are co-equal with God. But as Scripture reveals, the Son is still subject to the Father's will and authority, and only the Father knew when the Son would return. It puts a different slant on the Trinity diagram as not a equilateral triangle with perfectly equal sides, but more of a skewed triangle towards the Father with a slightly shorter side for the Son.
once again you have missed paraphasing the true scripture the Bible did not that man was created in the image of God but rather God said let US create man in OUR image,

Ge 1:26And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

the trinity doctrine was in the very first three verses in the Bible.

Ge 1:1In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.Ge 1:2And the earth was without form, and void; and darkness was upon the face of the deep. And the Spirit of God moved upon the face of the waters.Ge 1:3And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.Ge 1:4And God saw the light, that it was good: and God divided the light from the darkness.

God the Father, created, and God the Spirit moved upon the face of the waters, and God the Son was the light of the world, this is not saying that God the Son was created at this point but that He was made light of the World, this is not the sun but rather the Son. for the sun was not created until verse 14
Ge 1:14And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:Ge 1:15And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.Ge 1:16And God made two great lights; the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night: he made the stars also.Ge 1:17And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,

Jan 31, 2009
the trinity is very much a bibical doctrine, just because we can't fully comprehend it, does not make it non existence, God gave it to me like a Pie. He new I understood food. take a pie cut it into three equal parts. unless someone comes a long like me and takes a piece of the pie we still have a whole pie. three parts/pieces, but one whole pie. same As God three equal parts but one God. Jesus was equal with God, the scripture we find where He is not equal was while He was in the flesh, no big deal for the same scriptures that says that Jesus felt it NOT robbery to be equal with the Father, tells us that when He took on the flesh that He was made a little lower than the angels.

there are all equal, someone stated that Jesus was even under the Spirit, while scriptures teach us that, the Spirit reminds us of What Jesus did, if the Spirit was greater, wouldn't Jesus teach us what the Spirit did. they are all the same there are several places in the scriptures that does put them in the same scenes together but yet separate The Baptism of Jesus, for example, the Son was Baptised, the Father spoke from heaven "this is my Son" and the Spirit descended like a dove from the Father down to the Son.. here are three verses we can learn from Joh 1:1In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.Joh 1:2The same was in the beginning with God.Joh 1:3All things were made by him; and without him was not any thing made that was made.

Joh 1:14And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Dec 24, 2008
God is Holy ...and God is Spirit.
Jesus Christ is the Son of God.
God gave His gift of holy spirit [the promise of the Father, power from on high] on the day of Pentecost.
The doctrine of the trinity began in the latter half of the fourth century [for those who take the time to study history].

God bless

Apr 23, 2009
Is God...

One being with 3 expressions/ essences, or substances?

Or 3 seperate beings who are one God?

(note that answering this isn't a big deal.. if the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are all equally God eg.. Father is God.. Jesus is God.. Holy Spirit is God)
God is one being, the rest is more than our minds can comprehend

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
I have asked this question of Our Lord God alot lately in prayer, I worried I might not see it the way he wanted. God answered me last night. Dont worry, Ive got it covered. God bless, pickles

dscherck

Banned [Reason: persistent, ongoing Catholic heres
Aug 3, 2009
I think that if we think we're starting to understand the mystery of the Holy Trinity, we're on the wrong track.

Status
Not open for further replies.