What Does Humbling Yourself Before God Mean to You?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Hi Everyone, I hope I'm not posting in the wrong place... I went to volunteer at a homeless shelter for the first time yesterday. Our team was led by one of our youth pastors and his wife, and they said it was the most organized, well-run place they had seen to date. The center provides a school for preschoolers, as well as full-time residency to those who qualify and in-site programs for substance abuse, counseling, etc., and even a program to keep war veterans esteemed and a valuable contribution to the community. As we were working in the kitchen, I noticed a sign on the door with the proper titles of who was running the kitchen, such as (sorry if I'm confusing the terms), "Executive Chef", "Assistant Chef", and "Sous Chef," along with all their names. And I thought about that... What if you or, for instance, your child, had a great gift in the kitchen... and what if you believed God was even telling you that you would be a great chef one day? And so you went to school, got the training... and one day, you saw your name on that plaque: "Executive Chef"--(your name), and it' on the front door of a center for the homeless. How would you feel about this in your heart? Would you consider it to be below your abilities or a great honor and privilege from God? How has God humbled you in your own experiences? (Believe me, I have plenty of examples from my own life--I just don't want to take up all the space here!) Thanks for your thoughts!

Kakashi

Jan 3, 2007
Humbling yourself before God, i think, means you understand your position with God and his purpose for you. When you realize that you;re merely just a vessel( one that he loves and saved i might add) to show his glory through whatever you do, it's a humbling experience. He formed us and every ability we have. it's all about the mindset. The whole name plaque thing, I mean if someone wants to do that for you, let them do it. it means that they show their respect for you, but if you keep demanding for a plaque because you ''deserve it'' maybe you're not as humble as you think you are. Not saying it's wrong to want something like that, but i think you can tell when your head gets big enough to where you;ve gone overboard..

My pastor, Pastor Jack, says that "People call me pastor out of respect, but I don't demand that people go around calling me pastor. They can call me Jack if they want.'' i call him Pastor Jack and Jack, because I respect him, but also am comfortable with him. The bible says that if you humble yourself, then he will lift you back up and glorify you. There's nothing wrong with acknowledging that you HAVE a title, it's where your pride lies is the issue. " Yes, I am a great chef, but thanks to God i am here."

My 2 cents.

W

worldlover

Humbling yourself before God, i think, means you understand your position with God and his purpose for you. When you realize that you;re merely just a vessel( one that he loves and saved i might add) to show his glory through whatever you do, it's a humbling experience. He formed us and every ability we have. it's all about the mindset. The whole name plaque thing, I mean if someone wants to do that for you, let them do it. it means that they show their respect for you, but if you keep demanding for a plaque because you ''deserve it'' maybe you're not as humble as you think you are. Not saying it's wrong to want something like that, but i think you can tell when your head gets big enough to where you;ve gone overboard..

My pastor, Pastor Jack, says that "People call me pastor out of respect, but I don't demand that people go around calling me pastor. They can call me Jack if they want.'' i call him Pastor Jack and Jack, because I respect him, but also am comfortable with him. The bible says that if you humble yourself, then he will lift you back up and glorify you. There's nothing wrong with acknowledging that you HAVE a title, it's where your pride lies is the issue. " Yes, I am a great chef, but thanks to God i am here."

My 2 cents.
I agree with you that whatever we receive is simply a gift form GOD after all the good things you did like despite of all the success you've gained, your feet is still on the ground!^_^

Jan 31, 2009
humble yourself before God, means when we learn that it's not about us, that it is all about Him

N

NoahsMom

AMEN thaddaeus.......its about putting others before yourself, and being joyful, and good hearted in doin so, without expecting one single , itty , bitty thing in return.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
A wise person once told me that when you base your pride in the failings of others that is false pride. But when you base your pride in overcoming yourself because of the grace of Jesus and give glory to God that is an acceptable pride. For me to humble myself before God is a daily expeariance. It is to know that all that I am is from him, because of him, to glorify Our lord God. It is in being humble that God gives his love and lifts you up. Humbleing myself is to give up all to our Lord Jesus and one of his great gifts. I love the Jesus so much for this and his grace. God bless, pickles

S

Sonzzz01

To me, it means being true about myself, not being self- centered , not pretending to be someone i'm not also doing what i should when i should and obedient to him.

M

MaggieMye

To Lead question: To me, to humble oneself is to take the attitude and position of that everyone else is just as important and worthy of consideration, attention and love as I am; not more and certainly not less than I am myself. It means to be of that kind of character SO that GOD will not have to chastise me, especially to the point of humiliation and/or embarrassment for how I've behaved. Scripture tells us to 'humble yourself before the Lord"....which is a good thing to do if you don't want God to do it for you!
Maggie

C

carpetmanswife

to me humbling myself before God is acknowledging the fact that i am nothing without Him,every breath i take is because He allows it,sounds sappy but like the song says..i cant even walk without Him holding my hand..thats humbleness to God for me , because ive been to some extremely low points in my life and looking back..thats how it makes me feel. He IS every breath i take.Only by His mercy and grace am i here today.

F

faith79

My 2 cents.
I think you're right on. My pastor (who doesn't go by "Pastor this" :) says: the way up is down (i.e., humbling yourself, like Christ) and the way down is up (to exalt yourself)...My 2 cents! are we rich yet? ;-)

D

DaveScotland

I think you're right on. My pastor (who doesn't go by "Pastor this" :) says: the way up is down (i.e., humbling yourself, like Christ) and the way down is up (to exalt yourself)...My 2 cents! are we rich yet? ;-)
My pastor says the same thing, Its a pretty awesome little sentence and its so true.

F

faith79

My pastor says the same thing, Its a pretty awesome little sentence and its so true.
good signature line apropo. God must be first and foremost no matter what day it is!

BLC

Banned
Feb 28, 2009
Humility is tapeinos, which means to rise from the ground (or dust) only a little

Condescend is sunapago, to be lead or carried away with or together

When we recognize those who truly are humble before the Lord, who are putting themselves in a position (not far from the dust) to receive grace, we are to come along side of them and be lead by the grace of God that they are receiving in that state of lowliness and humility. They may be believers that you don't like or think very much of, but God wants you to receive grace from them. In order to do that you have to condescend to their low estate because that is where God is dishing out the grace. If you think I am making this up, check out (Luke 2:40-52, Acts 4:33-37, 1Cor 15:10, Acts 13:43, 11:20-24).

Just because we like someone and we have a good personality rapport with them, it does not mean that we submit to them. When we submit to one another in the fear of God (Eph 5:21, 1Pt 5:5), we are submitting to those who are receiving grace. Only those that are receiving grace can grow in it. God is resisting the proud and giving grace to the humble (James 4:6). If a believer is not receiving grace, no matter what kind of rapport you have with them, they are proud and they are being resisted by God. Everything they are doing is not approved by God because there is no grace in it. God only approves His work of grace. Faith without works is dead. It is dead because there is no supply of grace. A believer can be doing all kinds of work for God and we speak well of them, but in reality all their works are being rejected because there was no grace in any of it. Any work without grace that is offered to God is dead works and it will bear no fruit unto God. Cain offered the work of his own production to God and it was rejected but Abel's offering was accepted because of the blood and it was offered by faith.

We are to be wise as to who we think is humble. It is not necessarily the one who appears that way but it is the one who is receiving grace with no outward appearance because it takes place in the heart.

T

thefightinglamb

I got a philosophy bachelors, so pardon me if this gets too technical...but as this is one of the worst problems that plagues people of faith, I think I will seek to elucidate it as clearly as possible...

To understand humility truly, you must understand the inherent self-contradiction...humility is to bring oneself low---and in order to bring oneself low or to one's proper place, they must have had to have been exalting themselves above their proper place...aka they must needs have been prideful...can a stone or dust humble itself? No, it is as low as gravity takes it and it will be no more or less than it is placed...but if it is thrown, then it experiences in an analogy the folly of pride--being brought high--and the humilty of being brought low--by reclaiming where gravity places it...

The truly humble are those who do not intentionally humble themselves--but are as scripture says 'meek'--they accept and see what they are, and they also see who Jesus is--and this gives them hope...

So, where am I distraught in all this? It fumes me when I see Christians in their pride 'humbling' themselves to somebody else, only as a false-charity event to feed their own pride...Let me draw an example...A person with haughty eyes (thinking themselves better then others) decides out of charity (false-charity) to help someone they see as a needy soul (someone they see as far below them as the ground they walk on)...This is by no means humility this is pride-feeding...

Let me share a personal story...I voluntaried at a homeless shelter when I was in college...and different churches would have volunteers to help feed and give out sleeping bags...and there were some there who would see it as a 'good deed' and would think the people they were helping were trash, but that is not truly humilty...doing a good deed for those you believe yourself far above...humility is when you truly understand what God's love is...and you truly look eye to eye with people...and you do not exalt yourself at all above the 'other' person...but you truly see that God gives you everything you have--your talents, your money, your job, et cetera, everything...and that God also gives them everything they have--their talents, their money, their job/position, et cetera, everything...and that what you don't see as God you can just be thankful to God that He had mercy by shedding light on your darkness and pray that He will also have mercy on whatever sinner's soul you encounter...because sin is not of God...but He does and did love us when we were in the 'torrents of destruction' as well...and we are no different than even non-Christians other than that simple fact that God had mercy on our blind, callous hearts and gave us true light, and love...

Humility is understanding who you are before God...that God is everything and you are nothing...but what He makes and gives you...and I truly mean nothing...you are no different than any other person that God has made, except for how God has granted you or them mercy...

God bless,...I hope this makes sense...and may we love each other eye-to-eye in holiness as true, sincere brothers and sisters
antony of the wounded Lord

Last edited:
C

Cookie38115

No need for me to say it, you said it for me. Ditto!!!

to me humbling myself before God is acknowledging the fact that i am nothing without Him,every breath i take is because He allows it,sounds sappy but like the song says..i cant even walk without Him holding my hand..thats humbleness to God for me , because ive been to some extremely low points in my life and looking back..thats how it makes me feel. He IS every breath i take.Only by His mercy and grace am i here today.

T

thefightinglamb

I was slightly wrong in what I posted earlier; I do believe for all but one person what I said about being humble is true....that in order to humble yourself you have got to be somewhere above your right position...or just thinking about it perhaps not...perhaps to be humble means that you see a position that is rightfully yours and you accept less than what is rightfully yours...for example, when Jesus talked about going to someone's house and accepting a lower position so that perhaps you will be invited higher, rather than choosing a higher seat and being brought to a lower seat...

But anyway, with Jesus, scripture sas that he 'humbled' himself becoming as a man, and even more so to accepting 'death, death on a cross." Now Jesus NEVER exalted himself beyond what he truly was, but this verse gives some sense of what humility is to be for Christians...

It is the same with Jesus' response to 'who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven'? And he says that amongst gentiles those with authority lord it over them--but NOT so is it to be among you--------------whoever is great among you must be your servant, and the greatest is the slave to all...

So Christian humility is to take on the role of not only seeing what one is through Christ (children of God), but after having this knowledge being willing and desiring to serve everyone and to be counted with the least...

Just my thoughts, and corrections to what I wrote before...so to continue the rock analogy from the former post, Christian humility demands not only the rock seee that the Rock (the Lord) is in them, but seeing this being willing and able to cast oneself into the mud in order to serve Christ and everyone through Him...

God bless and may Christ's humility always abide in us

tony

Status
Not open for further replies.