What false doctrines after being saved will send you to hell?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

NoahsMom

Anything that seperates YOU from GOD, or is contrary to what the word says.......Id go the other way, with a quickness.

C

CTR

I'm pretty sure works are part of salvation because Rev 20:13 says people are judged by works, Rev 12 too, Rev 14:13, Rev 3:2, Rev 2:26, 2:23, Rev 2:19. Jas 2:24-26, Heb 10:24, And there are so many other scriptures.
So Jesus certainly takes out works into account. If they bad, there's punishment (lake of fire or otherwise). If they good, there is reward (eternal life or otherwise). Yet, scripture does teach in Tit 3, about how it's God's grace, not our own works. And that justification is at the moment of belief.
You pointed out that Titus Chapter 3 (verse 5 I believe) teaches that our salvation comes through God's grace (specifically, through the atonement of Jesus Christ that paid the price for our sins, and through His resurrection as I'm sure you would agree), and not our own works.

I would refer you to Titus 3:8 where Paul immediately follows by saying, "This is a faithful saying, and these things I will that thou affirm constantly, that they which have believed in God might be careful to maintain good works. These things are good and profitable unto men."

Those others who have posted here have indicated there is no conflict between what the Lord has told us, or what we have been taught by Paul or by James - they are all saying the same thing to us, and that is that faith in the Lord Jesus Christ must come first, followed by good works due to our obedience and love for our Savior.

In the end, we are judged not by our faith but by the works our faith produces. Please don't misunderstand what the scriptures say about this. Jesus himself is our perfect example of this fact. Did Jesus have complete faith in his Heavenly Father? And that Christ himself was to be the Savior of the world? Of course he did. But, it was not Christ's faith that saved us, but by his works that he saved us!

Based upon that complete faith and knowledge, Jesus Christ fulfilled his Father's plan of salvation by paying the price of all mankind's sins by choosing to suffer and laying down his life for us, and by being resurrected from the grave. These are his works, based upon faith, that saved us all! How could have Christ's faith have substituted for those marvelous works he did? He had to have both faith, then works to be obedient to his Heavenly Father.

Our lives as believers in and followers of Christ, remarkably, is to do what Jesus did. No we can't provide an atonement for our sins or provide for our own resurrection from death - Christ alone did these things for us, but we can follow him in every other way. Our Heavenly Father has so much more in mind for us and wants us to GROW spiritually and become more like his precioius son. We do that by following him on that straight and narrow path to righteousness he has placed us on, and by living our lives as he did: by service to our Heavenly Father, and service to our fellow man through faith and works).

To be obedient to our Heavenly Father and to serve others we MUST include works! The scriptural basis for this cannot be ignored. How can we "feed" Christ's "sheep" without works? How can we be a good neighbor like the Good Samaritan without works? This is why is it competely fair that we are judged by our works, whether good or evil, at the Great White Throne Judgment (Revelations 20:11-12). This is where those faith-producing works come in.

We don't want to be judged like the Lord's servant who when given one talent squandered his opportunity to do something good with it (Matthew 25:13-30). This entire parable is about faith-producing works and the Lord's expectation for it from us!

Take care.

R

redeemed2

AMEN to that

Feb 27, 2007
I'm thinking one thing leads to the other, at least thats my personal experience. I was born again of the Spirit, so now I long to do the works. I spent 10 years on the fence though not receiving the incredible spiritual blessing that comes from being in Gods will and properly seeking God. Now, sorry, but I believe Christ paid the price, I was just as saved when i sat on the fence a believer but alot of times ignoring the Holy spirit as I grew in knowledge of the Lord. I sinned yesterday and am so upset when i grieve the spirit. I'm thankful that Christ paid the price for little ole me but do try very hard to please him and to know him through his word. As I was reading this thread I was surprised to find myself thinking I agree... I agree... I agree with what both sides are saying. How ODD is that? I've come to the knowledge that Christ paid the price, we receive the Holy Spirit who convicts us of direction of our lives, we can ignore the Holy Spirit but Christ paid the price. When we ignore the Holy Spirit and continue our lives for ourselves and not for God we hurt ourselves spiritually. Christ still paid the price and we are still saved but our lives lack the fullness that living in Gods will produces and daily seeking him in fellowship produces. We are stealing spiritual blessings from ourselves when we dont seek to do Gods will. Jesus said sin no more and I try my best to sin no more. still, like paul, that which i want to do, i dont do and that which i do i dont want to do. I just cant seem to get past the sin in my life. I think the key is in being repentant and trying our best to please God. If I died immediately after a sin, I'm still saved. I give thanks to God for Jesus cause if it were entirely up to me, and if I were able to totally sin no more...(including those silly random thoughts) there would be no need for Jesus!!!

Jan 31, 2009

Being saved in the sense that one has been irrevocably judged while still alive for eternal life is a gross heresy. It simply doesn't exist in Christian theology.

Judgment is based on one's LIFE RECORD. If we die JUSTIFIED in God's eyes then we may hope for eternal life. We are justified when our behavior, our lives, at a certain time, are pleasing to God. We may lose justification by bad decisions. If so, we must repent to regain justification. The cycle is a life cycle. Justification is a JOURNEY OF FAITH THROUGHOUT one's life.

Salvation is free. Jesus' Passion and Death was an expiation to the Father. The Father had not been able to see His way to bestowing eternal life on imperfect humanity. The Father is perfect and believes in perfect justice. Allowing imperfection into heaven would be a violation of that justice under the Law.The Law is inflexible. One is either innocent or guilty under the Law. The slightest offense brings us a judgment of death. Jesus' Passion and Resurrection allowed the Father to substitute GRACE for Law. Under Grace the Father can be merciful in His judgement of us and make allowance for our failings as long as He judges we tried to be good.

The "works of the Law" that Paul refers to concern Mosaic rituals. Paul was NOT referring to good works done out of God's GRACE. Paul told the Jews that a mere ministerial performance of these works would not make them good with God insofar as their efforts did not come from the heart; did not come from Grace. Only works that come from Grace would be appealing to God. God is not an employer, Paul said, He does not owe any one wages when they carry out a work. God owes us nothing, Paul admonished the Jews. So, better be good and do good things from your heart, not because you are trying to bribe God.

Rom. 3:20,28; Gal. 2:16 - Paul's phrase for "works of the law" in the Greek is "ergon nomou" which means the Mosaic law or Torah and refers to the teachings (legal, moral) and works (ceremonial) that gave the Jews the knowledge of sin, but not an escape from sin. We have further proof of this from the Dead Sea Scrolls which provide the Hebrew equivalent ("hrvt ysm") meaning "deeds of the law," or Mosaic law. James in James 2 does not use "ergon nomou." He uses "ergois agathois." Therefore, Paul’s "works of the law" and James' "works" are entirely different types of works. Again, they could never contradict each other because the Scriptures are the inspired word of God.

Judgment is based on one's LIFE RECORD

I am no expert of the Judgements but scriptures will tell us there is more than one judgement, as well as more than one book of life. the book of life that is used at the great white judgement only contains the names that are saved. this judgement that is judging the works of Christians. will only apply to the saved, and it will not effect our salvation only our rewards. this judgement is the judgement that is referred to as the Great White Throne Judgement of Christ. let's look at the scriptures pertaining to the Great White Judgement
Re 20:11And I saw a great white throne, and him that sat on it, from whose face the earth and the heaven fled away; and there was found no place for them.Re 20:12And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books were opened: and another book was opened, which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books, according to their works.Re 20:13And the sea gave up the dead which were in it; and death and hell delivered up the dead which were in them: and they were judged every man according to their works.Re 20:14And death and hell were cast into the lake of fire. This is the second death.Re 20:15And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire.

notice here in verse 15 that not everyone was written in the book that was just used to judge our works, this has to be a book of works of those whose names where in the lamb's book of life. For it is referred to in verse 12 as another book. Now I know at this point. someone will try to dispute more than one Lamb's book of life, but here are two types of judgement from to different books, by saying that there was so many people that they couldn't get them in a single books so there were different volumes of the Lamb's book of life. Maybe like all the people whos name stated with "A" was in one book and the "B's" were in another book . but if this were the case then shouldn't it be referred to as the Lamb's books of life, instead of the Book of Life.

If we take note that at this point of revelation is in chronological order. for every verse starts with "and" , which implies it is continued from the last verse. the wife ( the Church ) has already been set aside at this point also:
Re 19:7Let us be glad and rejoice, and give honour to him: for the marriage of the Lamb is come, and his wife hath made herself ready.

if the wife has already been made ready she has been raptured at this point.( one more point here for a pre-trib rapture ). also take note in these verses that there are some other folk who has already been resurrected
Re 20:4And I saw thrones, and they sat upon them, and judgment was given unto them: and I saw the souls of them that were beheaded for the witness of Jesus, and for the word of God, and which had not worshipped the beast, neither his image, neither had received his mark upon their foreheads, or in their hands; and they lived and reigned with Christ a thousand years.
Re 20:5But the rest of the dead lived not again until the thousand years were finished. This is the first resurrection.Re 20:6Blessed and holy is he that hath part in the first resurrection: on such the second death hath no power, but they shall be priests of God and of Christ, and shall reign with him a thousand years.

note here that verse 6 says that the second death has no power over those that was part of the first resurrection, they won't be judged again. but there is a judgement after this judgement of works and in verse 14 also referrs to the second death . let me note here that, I use the King James, but here in these scriptures I think where some folks get mislead is that death and hell delivered up the dead. but the word used for Hell, is the same word used for the grave so without changing the meaning death and hell (the grave) were cast into the lake of Fire ( Hell). one more note here notice that verse 4 is referring to the ones that had gone through the great tribulation, thus they being the last ones saved were the first resurrected thus we have the First shall be last and the last shall be first.

I could go on and on but I think I have proved my point that a Christian's salvation will not be judged based on theirs works. there is more than one judgement, in verse 4 there is a judgement in verse 12 there is a judgement of works . then we have the judgement where Christ said that He would separate the sheep and the goats. where Jesus himself says that this judgement is not based on what was done in His name ( our works ) but rather they were judged if Jesus knew them or not.

Jan 31, 2009
1co 3:11For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.1co 3:12Now if any man build upon this foundation gold, silver, precious stones, wood, hay, stubble;1co 3:13Every man's work shall be made manifest: for the day shall declare it, because it shall be revealed by fire; and the fire shall try every man's work of what sort it is.1co 3:14If any man's work abide which he hath built thereupon, he shall receive a reward.1co 3:15If any man's work shall be burned, he shall suffer loss: but he himself shall be saved; yet so as by fire.
Our works are tried by fire the good ones will be our reward our bad ones will be a loss , but the man himself shall be saved, our works have nothing to do with our salvation we work because we are saved we don't work to get saved and if we walk to far from God right before we can step away from our salvation God will
1co 5:5To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.
so even though evil may destory the body the Spirit is still saved . Praised the Lord, what an awesome God I serve

Jan 31, 2009
a false doctrine that might displease God would be a doctrine that teaches us to be arrogant enough to think the our works can earn us a ticket into heaven. A very prideful thought to think that we can actually do something that would merit us into heaven.
Eph 2:9Not of works, lest any man should BOAST.

Mar 11, 2009
Peace be to you
But all their works they do for to be seen of men: they make broad their phylacteries, and enlarge the borders of their garments,
And love the uppermost rooms at feasts, and the chief seats in the synagogues,
And greetings in the markets, and to be called of men, Rabbi, Rabbi.But be not ye called Rabbi: for one is your Master, even Christ; and all ye are brethren
And call no man your father upon the earth: for one is your Father, which is in heaven.
Neither be ye called masters: for one is your Master, even Christ.
But he that is greatest among you shall be your servant.
And whosoever shall exalt himself shall be abased; and he that shall humble himself shall be exalted.

Lets see what God says;
job
And the LORD said unto Satan, Hast thou considered my servant Job, that there is none like him in the earth, a perfect and an upright man, one that feareth God, and escheweth evil?
gen
And Enoch walked with God: and he was not; for God took him.
gen
These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God.
john
Peter saith unto him, Thou shalt never wash my feet. Jesus answered him, If I wash thee not, thou hast no part with me.Simon Peter saith unto him, Lord, not my feet only, but also my hands and my head.

Jesus saith to him, He that is washed needeth not save to wash his feet, but is clean every whit: and ye are clean, but not all.For he knew who should betray him; therefore said he, Ye are not all clean.

so after he had washed their feet, and had taken his garments, and was set down again, he said unto them, Know ye what I have done to you?Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am.

If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet.For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you.Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.

If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them.

Let us Walk with God.

Love a friend in God

Jan 8, 2009
All and any false doctrines have the capacity to lead a person to hell. It works like this, if after a person becomes a Christian due to being taught the right doctrine, then they believe a false doctrine, (i.e. they are deceived), either through fault of their own (eg choosing the wrong church eg Mormons, following their own mind, ), or ignorance, or led astray by others such as the pastor who himself is deceived, they then start acting out that belief in their walk , that leads to sin or denial of Christ for salvation which leads to death, which leads to hell.

Jan 8, 2009
Some believe that it's ok for every person to have their own individual interpretation of a passage of scripture, and it doesn't do any harm. I disagree. I've been in bible studies like that and it is so painful hearing everyone give a fairly different interpretation of the same scripture and concluding that everyone is right. Each verse has a very specific meaning and intent by the original author. If our interpretation is too far removed from the author's original intent, it opens up the way for deception. Check everything against the Word of God, even what your most trusted pastor says. And then don't even trust yourself, check what you believe against reliable and well respected experts i.e. Christian bible scholars, theologians, historians etc, daily devotionals, bible commentaries etc. The more the better, two or three witnesses or more. Stay away from youtube and google conspiracy theories, stay away from websites like jesus-is-savior and av1611.org which are full of sensationalm and amateurish theology. Sound doctrine is typically found in denominations with long and established histories and records. Like the Church of England, Lutherans, Baptists, etc. Relative newcomers like new pentecostals, non-denominationals, etc etc, I find usually have the most wrong doctrine than the established denominations. Because these do not have the history and reliable theological scholarly background that the Church of England or Lutheran church has for example. But can have a lot of doctrines that are taken from various movements and TV evangelists who themselves have no sound theological grounding. eg prosperity theology, Benny Hinn, Joyce Meyer etc.

Jan 31, 2009
All and any false doctrines have the capacity to lead a person to hell. It works like this, if after a person becomes a Christian due to being taught the right doctrine, then they believe a false doctrine, (i.e. they are deceived), either through fault of their own (eg choosing the wrong church eg Mormons, following their own mind, ), or ignorance, or led astray by others such as the pastor who himself is deceived, they then start acting out that belief in their walk , that leads to sin or denial of Christ for salvation which leads to death, which leads to hell.

I believe the true Bibical doctrine that you may have over looked would be;

1jo 2:1My little children, these things write I unto you, that ye sin not. And if any man sin, we have an advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous:
my children meaning the children of God if , not you can't sin and still be my children, but if you sin we have an advocate with the Father, Christ Jesus. Thank you Jesus for covering all my sins

Jan 8, 2009
Does 1 John 2:1, apply to Judaizing Christians and Gnostic Christians? and others who name Christ but hold to false doctrine?

Think about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.