What is a soul tie?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

JesusMyOnly

Jun 30, 2014
I've heard this phrase 'soul tie' and I kinda get it but I was just curious on all other opinions on this.

U

Ugly

I'd never heard the term, so i looked it up.
Seems to be a concept that may have some biblical basis, but has been turned into some trendy, confused Christianese term. Mostly it looks like people taking a concept too far, to explain away things they can't understand, so they twist a scriptural concept to try to spiritualize it, thereby, reducing the personal blame.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
I Googled "soul tie" to give you some info about it............but, to be honest, after reading through a couple of the Articles, I didn't even want to post a link to them here on CC.

Ugly pretty much nailed it though..............

S

Sirk

It's like a neck tie but it goes around your soul and binds it in heaven....with Jesus. Idk. Sounds good to me.

Jan 25, 2015
Soul ties are real and complicated because just like trinity and certain other biblical aspects in the Bible we can't find this word in the Bible but evidence is there that it does exist.

If nobody has answered you by tomorrow I will do so but I am on my way home.

JonahLynx

Dec 28, 2014
Most of the time when people use the term, they are talking about some mythological force than binds two lovers together. But in the strictest definition, it just means a deep emotional connection to a significant other. "Soul ties" aren't a subject in the Bible, although some Christians have spiritualized it, and as a result they will list strong friendships and marriages in the Bible as evidence. I have not seen evidence that a loving relationship differs in any way from what is called a "soul tie."

In my opinion, a "soul tie" as used by most people is pseudo-mystic bologna. It's a spiritualization of "true love" in fairy tales.

Last edited:

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
There are certain things that we do, when we had our conversation with darkness, that have placed strongholds of the enemy in our minds.

These strongholds, of which a soul-tie is one, are taken down in Christ. But like everything else you have to ask the Lord Jesus for it.

Ephesians 6:12 [SUP] [/SUP]For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

PopClick

Aug 12, 2011
I think it's a modern term for what was described in the bible, being cautious about with whom you join yourself. This passage is talking about how serious that type of sin is: "Do you not know that your bodies are members of Christ? Shall I then take away the members of Christ and make them members of a prostitute? May it never be! Or do you not know that the one who joins himself to a prostitute is one body with her? For He says, “THE TWO SHALL BECOME ONE FLESH.” But the one who joins himself to the Lord is one spirit with Him. Flee immorality."

But I've also heard the term over-spiritualized and used as a reason for things that had nothing to do with sexual sin.

Jan 25, 2015
Oh boy… ok I can see that people don’t believe in soul ties but let’s try to find a Biblical explanation and not what we as humans believe because our deeds without God are like filthy rags (Isa 64:6 But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away. )

When God created man and women he told them that they will become one (echad)
Gen2:24 Therefore shall a man leave his father and his mother, and shall cleave unto his wife: and they shall be one flesh

Eph5:31For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.

This is a soul tie between husband and wife and is unbreakable by man Mark10: 7-9 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife; And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh. What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

But the challenge for us as is that we don’t have all the answers because Yeshua told the Pharisees the following in Luke 20:33-35 Therefore in the resurrection whose wife of them is she? for seven had her to wife. And Jesus answering said unto them, The children of this world marry, and are given in marriage: But they which shall be accounted worthy to obtain that world, and the resurrection from the dead, neither marry, nor are given in marriage.

They clearly also didn't understand everything...

By reading the Bible we can see that when we have sex with somebody there is this bond that is created and we become one. That is what is referred to as soul ties by the world today. If we sleep around that soul ties are inter mingled and in the end you have all of these unknown forces working in on your relationships. That is why we should try to abstain from the sexual pleasures until we are married to a person. To put it bluntly, if you act like a cheap girl or boy you might have problems in future relationships you are not even aware of.

I have seen it so many times before with friends of mine, they go into a relationship that is clearly not working for either party but because there is this soul tie (sexual bond) they cannot walk away from the poison being created in this physical relationship.