What is the age children become responsible for their salvation/

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
T

tryingtofindhim

I mean if a little 3 year old dies and isn't saved he goes to heaven. But what about a 13 or 14 year old? What age does God determine a child stops being under his grace and must accept his son? I'm asking this question because I had a classmate commit suicide, and I've always wondered if he went to heaven; he was 13. He was a Christian, but someone said a true Christian wouldn't commit suicide. So I was just wondering.

Apr 23, 2009
There is scripture that could be given that would seem to say 20 is the age of accountability, but I believe it is when ever you are old enough to know right from wrong and understand the gospel.

C

cornerstone

When a children can realize his/her accountability for sin, then he stands before God accountable for those sins. Until a child reaches that understanding he/she is covered by the blood of Christ until he/she reaches that age. We see this in David's response about the son that died that was born of Bethsheba. He cannot come to me, I will go to him...paraphrase. A person with special needs, that can never reach that age of knowing 'right' from 'wrong' mentally are also covered like a small child.

S

Slepsog4

I believe the age of 20 as seen in the OT deserves tremendous consideration. Under this age God considered them children and little ones who do not know right from wrong.

Those over this age were required to pay a ransom in support for the tabernacle/temple.

Those over this were fit for war.

Those Levites over this were able to serve in the tabernacle/temple.

This was the age for being counted as men in the census.

Kathleen

Oct 13, 2009
I think as soon as a child knews about Jesus dieing on the cross, and God sending him down. This is abut age of 5 coz it is taught in Primary 1.

And after their first sin.

I highly doubt ur 13 year old friend went to heven if he has not accepted the lord jesys christ as pour savoiour and repented for his sins.

C

concernedguy

I mean if a little 3 year old dies and isn't saved he goes to heaven. But what about a 13 or 14 year old? What age does God determine a child stops being under his grace and must accept his son? I'm asking this question because I had a classmate commit suicide, and I've always wondered if he went to heaven; he was 13. He was a Christian, but someone said a true Christian wouldn't commit suicide. So I was just wondering.

The Bible says were are born "as a sinful creature but not as a sinner". A child that dies goes straight
to heaven. We are all born into sin but not a sinful person. The reason babies and young children go
to heaven is because they have a sin nature but have not committed a sin by doing something they
know is wrong.

There is no set age. Each person becomes a sinner when they commit an act that their conscience
tells them is wrong but do it any. Prior to committing this first act of willful sin, each child was born
into sin possessing the sin seed but has not sinned yet.

I understand that many say suicide is not something a Christian would do. But suicide is just another
sin that we commit that God will forgive. Remember, God sees us as helpless children instead of the
all-knowing adults we see ourselves as. Because we are children in His eyes, he will forgive all sin
except one. Suicide is not that sin.

God understands how we mess things up, get things wrong and don't have the common sense to
ask God for help. No one can say for sure that your friend did not go to heaven. But you knew him.
If his ways demonstrated he was aware of God and was seeking God's guidance in his life but was
just over come by his human weaknesses, then there is a good chance he is in heaven. If he never
expressed any concern about God or God's Word, then it is highly unlikely he went to heaven but
we can't know for sure.

We are saved based on our faith not our works. If he professed his belief in Christ but just never
did much that showed he followed Christ, he is most likely in heaven. He is no different than most
Christians.

Many say those that commit suicide do not go to heaven. But this statement places man's limited
understanding on God's unlimited grace that none of us deserve. So who is any one of us to say
who went to heaven and who didn't. Many Christians have depression. Does this mean Christ is not
their Saviour?

Man too many times tries to limit God to man's limited understanding which most of the time is
foolishness. Which is exactly what God thinks about man's wisdom.

In regard to the "true Christian" statement. Many that profess to be Christians and will tell
you who goes to heaven and who doesn't are no better Christians than the Christian that
committed suicide. Any one can state their opinion but its God's decision.

Fortunately for us and mankind God makes His own decisions and doesn't take into consideration
the all-knowing foolishness of man. One of God's blessings is that He has perfect wisdom and
will decide based on His perfection, not ours. One other thing God has the ability to do that
we don't is to not only know if your friend is saved but God can actually talk to him if He
chooses to.

Praise the Lord that God is not limited by our views.

Last edited:

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
I leave this one to Our Lord God. He would be the one to decide.
God bless, pickles

Jan 8, 2009
Where is this verse about 20 years old? I never heard of it before.

C

Cako53

I also would leave this up to our father. It is more reason to share with as many people as possible, and live for God.

P

Phoenix

"Behold, I was brought forth in iniquity, and in sin did my mother conceive me." Psalm 51 verse 5.
Look at it this way. do you have to teach a child to lie?
Do you have to teach a child to steal?
Do you have to teach a child to be mean to other kids?
I pray that the babies are under God's grace and do go to heaven. especially the aborted ones.
but we do not know for sure. so until we go to heaven then we will find out.

Status
Not open for further replies.