What is the Bible to us?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

newton3003

Feb 4, 2017
What is the Bible to us?

Did you ever listen to someone preach, and they pepper their preaching with “The Bible says…”? And maybe there are those in the congregation who wait in breathless anticipation for the preacher to say what the Bible says. Or perhaps there are those who may have picked up the Bible once or twice in their lives, and they regard it as a book with mysterious passages that have inspired crusades, wars, inquisitions, and have triggered miracles real and imagined. And they rely on others, like a preacher, to tell them what is in the Bible because, for whatever reason, they don’t see for themselves. Maybe they believe it requires a degree in theology or a stay at a seminary to understand what is in the Bible. All those funny words, like, thee, thou, sayest, speaketh.

Maybe some think, ‘Why read the Bible when we have Dear Abbey or Ann Landers to tell us what is right and moral and proper?'

What is the Bible to us? The Bible make no distinction as to who is capable of reading and understanding it. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that a layperson should not bother reading it. The closest it may come to that is Deuteronomy 32:7 which says, “Remember the days of old; consider the years of many generations; ask your father, and he will show you, YOUR ELDERS, AND THEY WILL TELL YOU. But the Bible does not say that only certain people should read it.

If fact, the Bible invites anyone to read it and meditate on its words. PSALM 1:1-2 says, “Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; BUT HIS DELIGHT IS IN THE LAW OF THE LORD, AND ON HIS LAW HE MEDITATES DAY AND NIGHT.” Does this passage say which man or woman should indulge themselves in God’s Law? Isaiah 34:16 says, “Seek and read from the book of the LORD… For the mouth of the LORD has commanded, and his Spirit has gathered [the words.]” Does this passage limit who should read from the Book?

And even Jesus, who has likened himself to a prophet in John 5:46, says to a lawyer in Luke 10:25-28 who asks him what he should do to get eternal life, ““What is written in the Law? How do you read it?” Jesus doesn’t say to the lawyer something like, ‘I am the prophet that Moses speaks of, and this is what you must do.’

What is the Bible to us all, then?

Well, Psalm 119:105 says, “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.” Psalm 119:49-50 says, “Remember your word to your servant, in which you have made me hope.
This is my comfort…that your promise gives me life.” In this regard, the Bible is a book for anyone to spend time reading, and THEN to seek understanding of what you have read so that it doesn’t seem like a whole lot of words put together in a book that is more than 1,000 pages.

Noose

Apr 18, 2016
The bible is a prophesy.

Oct 11, 2017
The Spirit of Truth. The Scriptures are written by those who were IN-Spirit-ed (inspired) by God through His Holy Spirit. They teach the Way of salvation. How to be redeemed from death and the grave.

But God will redeem my soul (life) from the power of the grave: for he shall receive me. Selah. Psa. 49:15

"And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there you may be also." John 14:3

Lucy-Pevensie

Dec 20, 2017
To me The Bible is God talking. A message system from our creator.

oldhermit

Jul 28, 2012
Alabama
Strictly speaking, the Bible is a representational document that represents the mind of God. Everything else the Bible is must be subordinate to this one truth.

shaneaccyl

Mar 9, 2018
What is the Bible to us?

Did you ever listen to someone preach, and they pepper their preaching with “The Bible says…”? And maybe there are those in the congregation who wait in breathless anticipation for the preacher to say what the Bible says. Or perhaps there are those who may have picked up the Bible once or twice in their lives, and they regard it as a book with mysterious passages that have inspired crusades, wars, inquisitions, and have triggered miracles real and imagined. And they rely on others, like a preacher, to tell them what is in the Bible because, for whatever reason, they don’t see for themselves. Maybe they believe it requires a degree in theology or a stay at a seminary to understand what is in the Bible. All those funny words, like, thee, thou, sayest, speaketh.

Maybe some think, ‘Why read the Bible when we have Dear Abbey or Ann Landers to tell us what is right and moral and proper?'

What is the Bible to us? The Bible make no distinction as to who is capable of reading and understanding it. Nowhere in the Bible does it say that a layperson should not bother reading it. The closest it may come to that is Deuteronomy 32:7 which says, “Remember the days of old; consider the years of many generations; ask your father, and he will show you, YOUR ELDERS, AND THEY WILL TELL YOU. But the Bible does not say that only certain people should read it.

If fact, the Bible invites anyone to read it and meditate on its words. PSALM 1:1-2 says, “Blessed is the man who walks not in the counsel of the wicked, nor stands in the way of sinners, nor sits in the seat of scoffers; BUT HIS DELIGHT IS IN THE LAW OF THE LORD, AND ON HIS LAW HE MEDITATES DAY AND NIGHT.” Does this passage say which man or woman should indulge themselves in God’s Law? Isaiah 34:16 says, “Seek and read from the book of the LORD… For the mouth of the LORD has commanded, and his Spirit has gathered [the words.]” Does this passage limit who should read from the Book?

And even Jesus, who has likened himself to a prophet in John 5:46, says to a lawyer in Luke 10:25-28 who asks him what he should do to get eternal life, ““What is written in the Law? How do you read it?” Jesus doesn’t say to the lawyer something like, ‘I am the prophet that Moses speaks of, and this is what you must do.’

Well, Psalm 119:105 says, “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.” Psalm 119:49-50 says, “Remember your word to your servant, in which you have made me hope.
This is my comfort…that your promise gives me life.” In this regard, the Bible is a book for anyone to spend time reading, and THEN to seek understanding of what you have read so that it doesn’t seem like a whole lot of words put together in a book that is more than 1,000 pages.
basically Bible is God's breath and inspired by Him.he speak through it and what it is written is true.

Studyman

Oct 11, 2017
What is the Bible to us?

B asic
I nstructions
B efore
L eaving
E arth

Feb 21, 2012
The counsel of the Lord standeth for ever, the thoughts of his heart to all generations. Ps. 33:11

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
The bible far more than ink and paper, it is the love story between God and his children it is the ultimate story of good vs evil, how love always triumphs. It is the voice and the lips of God and is in fact the very heart of God himself. When we hold the bible in our hearts we are holding the very heart of God himself. The bible is our guide and instructions, it is the only physical item on earth infused with God's love power and spirit aside from ourselves. It is the holy and sacred scriptures that are not to be toyed with or treated with anything less than the greatest respect, it is also a never ending mystery that even if we read and studied it for thousands of years it would still reveal new and hidden truths and secrets of his heart and his kingdom.

The bible is to be held in high regard and treated as a sacred treasure but for many it is not much more than a book or a hand guide on how to be a Christian and it's scriptures are tossed around and treated like mere verses or words to prove a point or to win a debate and perhaps some would say I am over the top with all of this but to me this is what the bible is and why it is so sacred and treasured in my heart

mcubed

Dec 20, 2013
The Bible is my Daddy speaking to me... His OUTLOUD WORD for MY EVERYDAY LIFE!!!! Those who have ears let them rear!!!

mcubed

Dec 20, 2013
The Bible is my Daddy speaking to me... His OUTLOUD WORD for MY EVERYDAY LIFE!!!! Those who have ears let them hear!!! ALL 66 BOOKS!!!!!

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
The Bible is my Daddy speaking to me... His OUTLOUD WORD for MY EVERYDAY LIFE!!!! Those who have ears let them rear!!!
I know it was a typo but let them rear gave me a good chuckle XD

mcubed

Dec 20, 2013
I know it was a typo but let them rear gave me a good chuckle XD

BIG KISS... ON THE CHEEK IN THE LORD... HEAR....

You know ear, butt... what ever....lol Sometimes it seems like the same...lol

OneFaith

Sep 5, 2016
“Thy Word is a lamp onto my feet and a light unto my path.” “I will use the unwise to shame the wise.” The Bible can be understood by a third grader, yet not by some college professors. This is because you have to have ears to hear and eyes to see what it spiritually says. It is simple, yet some complicate it by trying to make it match what they want it to mean.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
“Thy Word is a lamp onto my feet and a light unto my path.” “I will use the unwise to shame the wise.” The Bible can be understood by a third grader, yet not by some college professors. This is because you have to have ears to hear and eyes to see what it spiritually says. It is simple, yet some complicate it by trying to make it match what they want it to mean.
Yes this is very true. Some people have gone through bible college and have degrees and are well versed in their knowledge of the bible yet can be totally blind to it vs a child who reads the bible and has a better understanding of it than the one who has all this educational understanding. This is a very interesting phenomena because normally the well educated and well versed person would be the one with the understanding because that is how it works in our world but in his he reveals his secrets to the most unlikely of people such as a child.

The thing with grown ups is that they complicate things and dissect everything even something as simple as a parable Jesus spoke, but a child doesn't complicate everything they take things as they are and they have this simplicity about them that is often times seen as ignorance yet it is this simplicity that allows them to see and hear the words of God in more depth than most of us adults. Of course this is not always the case sometimes it is the opposite situation and I have found that having both the mind of an adult and a child allows us to understand and to actually see and hear his words more so than we could before. To have that simplicity and that child like faith and yet also having the ability to grasp the more complicated and meats of his word.
I have noticed in the bible that there are parts that can only be read and understood with the heart of a child and yet there are parts of it that are to tough for a child to grasp.

Feb 28, 2016
Psa 119:165 - Great peace have they which love thy law: and nothing shall offend them.

PSA. 111:10.
The fear of The LORD is the beginning of wisdom: a good understanding have all they
that do His Commandments: His praise endureth for ever.