What Jesus did to the Blind Man's eyes

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

MaggieMye

Per John 9, I offer that Jesus did more than just 'heal' the blind man's eyes. When he took the clay, spat in it and applied it to the man's eyes, He was actually REFORMING the man's eyes. Remember that God created ADam from the dust. Our bodies are 60-78% water (depending on age). When dust or soil is mixed with water it makes a paste or a clay. When Jesus applied this clay or paste to the man's eyes, it was to 'recreate' or 'reform' his eyes so that he could see.

john 9:6
When He had said this, He spat on the ground, and made clay of the spittle, and applied the clay to his eyes,

13They brought to the Pharisees the man who was formerly blind.
14Now it was a Sabbath on the day when Jesus made the clay and opened his eyes
15Then the Pharisees also were asking him again how he received his sight. And he said to them, "He applied clay to my eyes, and I washed, and I see."

Gen 1: 27God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.
Genesis 2:7
And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
Genesis 3:19
In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return

And we shall do greater works!! Praise His name!

Maggie​

L

lighthousejohn

Per John 9, I offer that Jesus did more than just 'heal' the blind man's eyes. When he took the clay, spat in it and applied it to the man's eyes, He was actually REFORMING the man's eyes. Remember that God created ADam from the dust. Our bodies are 60-78% water (depending on age). When dust or soil is mixed with water it makes a paste or a clay. When Jesus applied this clay or paste to the man's eyes, it was to 'recreate' or 'reform' his eyes so that he could see.

john 9:6
When He had said this, He spat on the ground, and made clay of the spittle, and applied the clay to his eyes,

13They brought to the Pharisees the man who was formerly blind.
14Now it was a Sabbath on the day when Jesus made the clay and opened his eyes
15Then the Pharisees also were asking him again how he received his sight. And he said to them, "He applied clay to my eyes, and I washed, and I see."​

Gen 1: 27God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.
Genesis 2:7
And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.
Genesis 3:19
In the sweat of thy face shalt thou eat bread, till thou return unto the ground; for out of it wast thou taken: for dust thou art, and unto dust shalt thou return

And we shall do greater works!! Praise His name!​

Maggie​
Maggie,

I cannot fault your logic. Whenever Jesus healed someone, He restored that individual as a new creation. When we are saved we become a new creation in Christ Jesus. In the case of the blind man, he was able to see things in a new light (perhaps as Jesus sees).

I too praise God for what He tells us that we shall do greater things in His name.

In Christ,
John

M

MaggieMye

In the case of the blind man, he was able to see things in a new light (perhaps as Jesus sees).

Scripture does not say that the blind (BLIND as in not able to see anything) saw "in a new light". It says, simply, that he saw. To see in a 'new light' would imply that his UNDERSTANDING was enhanced and that is not what scripture said.

Jan 8, 2009
There's a few reasons why Jesus did it with clay spittle :
a) to show how foolish the sabbath traditions and superstitions were. Using spittle was a common way to treat diseases of the eye. But use of anything medicinal on the sabbath was forbidden by the Pharisees. The traditions of their elders said
"it is forbidden to put fasting spittle even on the eyelid on a sabbath day.''
Jesus knew this and so deliberately did the exact opposite. He put clay spittle on this man's eyes to show how superstitious and foolish the elder's traditions were.

b) to stir up the Pharisees, get on their nerves, and he certainly did that. Jesus never bypassed a good practical demonstration with a lesson.

c) to demonstrate to the blind man that the Hands touching him were the same Hands that formed man out of the clay in the ground in Genesis. As Maggie basically said. Whether or not the clay itself had any practical or physical input in healing the eye, such as being used to reform it, scripture doesn't detail. But it has significance in any case.

d) to demonstrate Jesus's power to heal even more strongly than if He had used a spoken word only. Applying clay to the eyes would normally blind a seeing person and goes against all common sense if you want to open someones eyes up. In this case, contrary to nature and all common sense, Jesus used clay to open up and heal a person's eyes.

C

charisenexcelcis

I am always reminded of the fact that when Jesus heals a man who was born blind, that he performs two miralces: one to heal the eyes, and one to enlighten the mind to be able to process immediately what it never had to process before.

L

lighthousejohn

In the case of the blind man, he was able to see things in a new light (perhaps as Jesus sees).

Scripture does not say that the blind (BLIND as in not able to see anything) saw "in a new light". It says, simply, that he saw. To see in a 'new light' would imply that his UNDERSTANDING was enhanced and that is not what scripture said.
Maggie,

I was not trying to add to what the Bible says. I believe that when Jesus heals someone, he heals the whole person. There was restoration to soceity for the lepers which would have had a dramatic impact on their mental outlook as well as their health. The Blind man was healed and he did see in a new light in the literal sense that he was living in darkness prior to Jesus' healing him. Semantics aside, when we become Christians, we are a new creation and we are told to be more Christlike.

The scripture does not elaborate on what happened to the man after he was called to testify. I was just musing about a possibility.

In Christ,
John

QuestionTime

Feb 16, 2010
Maggie!!!!! What an amazing revelation!!! I bet you anything you are correct!

Do you know then what this means? This is how people who are missing limbs should be healed by God! A false limb should be created out of wet clay, and prayed for.

Amazing!

Jan 8, 2009
If it's a white person you praying for make sure you don't use black clay and vice versa.

L

Lauren

There's a few reasons why Jesus did it with clay spittle :
a) to show how foolish the sabbath traditions and superstitions were. Using spittle was a common way to treat diseases of the eye. But use of anything medicinal on the sabbath was forbidden by the Pharisees. The traditions of their elders said
"it is forbidden to put fasting spittle even on the eyelid on a sabbath day.''
Jesus knew this and so deliberately did the exact opposite. He put clay spittle on this man's eyes to show how superstitious and foolish the elder's traditions were.
Thanks for this tidbit snail. I was just reading this passage the other day and I was wondering why he did that rather than just touch the blind man and heal him. Thanks!

M

MaggieMye

QuestionTime: Exactly! As led do to so by Holy Spirit....though the Word says we will do GREATER things!
MahoganySnail: "If it's a white person you praying for make sure you don't use black clay and vice versa." PLEASE tell me you are not serious and that this is an attempt at humor!?!

Maggie

Jan 8, 2009
Sort of both. Surely the type of clay you use matters, if God is forming the leg out of that piece of clay? Does God automatically change the colour of it to match the rest of the body or what? What do you think?

M

MaggieMye

well....duh....YEAH!!! He IS GOD, afterall!