What type of compensation should Preachers/Ministers receive?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jul 16, 2018
I actually love this ministry, but after I saw this story, it kind of changed my opinion on the ministry. I don't expect Ministers to struggle financially, but I do believe there should be a limit, the question is where is the limit.

U

Ugly

Firstly I'd get my info from a more official source than some random person with no known credibility.
Though I am no fan of televangelists or megachurch preachers. But many of them have income outside their church such as books.
That said I find it personally inappropriate and questionable when pastors draw enormous salaries from their churches. Or expect churches to pay for their private expenses such as private jets.

And, really, we have to go back to even Christian bookstores and ask how close to being "money changers in the temple" that is. Would Jesus really approve of these stores selling overpriced paintings and pens with scriptures on them? Sounds dubious as well.

Oncefallen

Idiot in Chief
Staff member
Jan 15, 2011
Firstly I'd get my info from a more official source than some random person with no known credibility.
Though I am no fan of televangelists or megachurch preachers. But many of them have income outside their church such as books.
The unfortunate thing is that by far the majority of ministries such as Joyce Myers' routinely refuse any form of outside accountability.

IMO any reputable non-profit (Christian or not) is a member of a third party organization that digs through their accounting to insure that donations are actually doing the work that it was intended to do and not lining the pockets of a handful of executives.

Jul 16, 2018
Yes accountability would be nice, I love different outreach programs that this particular ministry does, however I don't want to question where any donation I give is going. To the good of the ministry or people associated to the ministry. And by far this is not the only ministry that I have questions about, but just ran across this story recently and had me ask the question I had been asking for awhile. I am getting more jaded in me wanting to give and it shouldn't be that way.

OstrichSmiling

Jun 17, 2018
I usually turn to Charity Navigator when considering donations to any charity.
Joyce Meyer Ministries Inc.

I am not a supporter of Joel Osteen. However, if true I think pastors with public ministries and so called mega churches should sustain themselves off the monies they receive from the books and other media they write, produce. As Osteen claims he does.

I think the monies that flow into mega churches should go to mega public service in the community they serve.
As for small time preachers, I think they should have their home provided by the church as is typical. And a salary that is not exorbitant. Having a part time job would be ideal also and that way they can have time to serve their congregation and their own financial needs. The church should be a provider to the needy, not a sustainer of the rich and greedy.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
Imagine if they received non monetary compensation. One chicken for a book or tape? An estate may bequeath a cow or a horse.

As long a gullible Christians will buy the stuff they are selling they will become wealthy and the body of Christ will be poorer.

I know the teacher is due his hire but really multi million dollar businesses?

The late Billy Graham was much more circumspect in his finances than all these new modern money makers.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Jul 10, 2018
It's too bad about Joyce Meyer. I've watched her for many years and I saw one of her sermons recently that was disturbing, I tried finding the sermon on YouTube but it hasn't been posted. Totally prosperity gospel, sufficed to say I'll be watching another ministry.

The most telling part is at 1:11.

Jul 10, 2018
To answer the OP's question perhaps pastors shouldn't make any more than a cashier at McDonald's, most of the money should go towards the church.

1 Timothy 6:10 (MEV)

"For the love of money is the root of all evil. While coveting after money, some have strayed from the faith and pierced themselves through with many sorrows."

notuptome

May 17, 2013
To answer the OP's question perhaps pastors shouldn't make any more than a cashier at McDonald's, most of the money should go towards the church.

1 Timothy 6:10 (MEV)

"For the love of money is the root of all evil. While coveting after money, some have strayed from the faith and pierced themselves through with many sorrows."
Unless you work for McDonalds that is a very arbitrary standard. A pastor is worthy of double honor.

1Ti 5:17 Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine.

Do not starve the oxen that tread out the grain.

For the cause of Christ
Roge

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
If you study #s in congregation/rabbis compaired to tithes/pastors you'd see historicly professional minister should make about the same as his members make. 11 x 10% = 110 % - 10%, the pastor or rabbi was expected to tithe too. Get it? [I don't speak very good math but in english it would take 1/2 a page.] That's tithes, but don't forget offerings

calibob

Sinner saved by grace
May 29, 2018
Anaheim, Cali.
tithes are earnings for the pastors and offerings are on the side like wages+tips

Jul 10, 2018
Unless you work for McDonalds that is a very arbitrary standard. A pastor is worthy of double honor.

1Ti 5:17 Let the elders that rule well be counted worthy of double honour, especially they who labour in the word and doctrine.

Do not starve the oxen that tread out the grain.

For the cause of Christ
Roge
Double that of minimum wage isn't bad.

OstrichSmiling

Jun 17, 2018
It's too bad about Joyce Meyer. I've watched her for many years and I saw one of her sermons recently that was disturbing, I tried finding the sermon on YouTube but it hasn't been posted. Totally prosperity gospel, sufficed to say I'll be watching another ministry.

The most telling part is at 1:11.

Jesse Duplantis, Meyer, Hagee, Hinn, all of them could care less about their prosperity teaching harming those who fall for it.

Jul 10, 2018
Theirs another prosperity preacher on TV, Robert Morris of Gateway Church. Now I think it's important to tithe but I draw the red line at the prosperity gospel. Heck the title of his new book is "The Blessed Life: Unlocking The Rewards Of Generous Living". Beware of this man.

I'm this video you'll see him go on an angry rant about people not tithing enough and says some other stuff that aren't biblical, he then says we are all under a curse and we have to tithe more in order to break the curse.

And here is one of his sermons if I haven't yet made my case called "The Principle Of Treasure" where he immediately opens with asking everyone for money.

Dude653

Mar 19, 2011
They should get a job like everyone else

P

pjharrison

I actually love this ministry, but after I saw this story, it kind of changed my opinion on the ministry. I don't expect Ministers to struggle financially, but I do believe there should be a limit, the question is where is the limit.
This happens because the pastor , teachers, apostles, evangelist, and prophets are not suppose to be associated with a local church. For those whose are in the local church it is a business. They are suppose to live by faith. In other words, on what God gives them. They Speak at different places in the world. You know them by their fruit. God's servant's have no desire to live as these people do.