Where do our souls come from

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
M

Miri

The only thing I can think of is for the original poster to read.

Job ch 38 - ch 41

Dec 9, 2017
Ge 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Ec 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

From these two scriptures describing life and death, I deduct that man is not a triune being.
99.99 % of the time the scripture uses the word soul to refer to a living person and that satisfies my curiosity.

glf1

Jun 10, 2018
Hey! Y'all... PTL!
We all know that we are body soul and spirit. And we all know the body is flesh, blood, and bone. imo: the soul and spirit should also be triune, since the body itself is triune. The soul is the seat of our emotions, our intellect, and that which is within us that allows us to use both heart and mind to make our choices. Our spirit is part conscience, part intuition, and for those who are born again, part is inhabited by the Holy Spirit. Our conscience is defiled by sin or renewed by the scriptures that have been illuminated. Our intuition is made more sensitive to the Spirit by the time spent in one's prayer closet. I'm unsure of how one's intuition functions for the person without God.
Maranatha!

Enocish

Nov 9, 2017
Have you noticed that everybody has a different interpretation of almost every scripture in the Bible? Well, I am going to ask my questions differently. Hopefully, I will get different results. It is the same question as before just asked differently.
Where in the Bible does it say or even suggest that the angels were to be passed through this earth age, Through the womb of Women? Hint you will have to go into the Hebrew to see it.

For the Mathematicians.
God + Freewill = Perfection
Angels + Feewill = Sin

How do we get to
Angels + Freewill = Perfection There is an answer

I will leave you to it.

Jul 10, 2018
I believe that the soul is formed (by God) at the exact moment of the union, but it's God that creates our souls and it's He that has the power to create life.

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
Have you noticed that everybody has a different interpretation of almost every scripture in the Bible? Well, I am going to ask my questions differently. Hopefully, I will get different results. It is the same question as before just asked differently.
Where in the Bible does it say or even suggest that the angels were to be passed through this earth age, Through the womb of Women? Hint you will have to go into the Hebrew to see it.

For the Mathematicians.
God + Freewill = Perfection
Angels + Feewill = Sin

How do we get to
Angels + Freewill = Perfection There is an answer

I will leave you to it.
No, angels are a distinct creation. Never were human, never will be human.
Heb. 1:5
"For to which of the angels did God ever say, “You are my Son, today I have begotten you”? Or again, “I will be to him a father, and he shall be to me a son”?"

Heb. 1:14 "Are they not all ministering spirits sent out to serve for the sake of those who are to inherit salvation?" :)

OstrichSmiling

Jun 17, 2018
There's Creationism, which says God creates every soul like he did with the Adam when he breathed into Adam's nostrils and Adam then became a living soul. And God does that with every living person at live birth. Though there's nothing in scripture that says he does this or did breathe into anyone other than Adam so as to make them a living soul.

Then there's the theory of Traducianism. Which teaches that our soul is created within the mother by the same reproductive process that joins the characteristics of both parents so as to create us. So too is our soul brought into us that way because God first breathed life and living soul into the first of our kind, the progenitor of the human race on the paternal side, Adam.

I have a soul. That's a blessing. The rest is just details.

P

pjharrison

We were born with a body, soul and spirit. Mathew 26: 38 Then he (Jesus) said to them, “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me.”
So we have a soul.
Mathew 26: 41 “Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak.”
So we have a sprit and body.
4 And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:
5 For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.
What eyes would be opened?
God said you shall surely die. What would surely die?
The eyes to the soul were opened.
The spirit died and went dormant.

Deade

Called of God
Dec 17, 2017
Vinita, Oklahoma, USA
yeshuaofisrael.org
Ge 2:7 And the LORD God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Ec 12:7 Then shall the dust return to the earth as it was: and the spirit shall return unto God who gave it.

From these two scriptures describing life and death, I deduct that man is not a triune being.
99.99 % of the time the scripture uses the word soul to refer to a living person and that satisfies my curiosity.
Right on jimd. This is the proper response to this question: The word soul in Gen. 2:7 is:

SOUL=H5315

נֶפֶשׁ​

nephesh

neh'-fesh

From H5314; properly a breathing creature, that is, animal or (abstractly) vitality; used very widely in a literal, accommodated or figurative sense (bodily or mental): - any, appetite, beast, body, breath, creature, X dead (-ly), desire, X [dis-] contented, X fish, ghost, + greedy, he, heart (-y), (hath, X jeopardy of) life (X in jeopardy), lust, man, me, mind, mortality, one, own, person, pleasure, (her-, him-, my-, thy-) self, them (your) -selves, + slay, soul, + tablet, they, thing, (X she) will, X would have it.

It is the same word in Genesis 1 that described creature Gen. 1:21. Furthermore nothing about man is immortal, only the saved have the promise of immortality at Christ's coming. :)

Enocish

Nov 9, 2017
king
No, angels are a distinct creation.
Not Sure what you mean by no Distinct Creation, Every angel that is talked about in the Bible is presented as distinct, And has body mass, From Genisis 1:1 When all the angels were created, The angels that left there the first abode in Jude, The angels that took wives of the daughters of men, The two angels that got lot and his family out before Sodom and Gomara was destroyed. The list goes on and on. Until you can show me proof otherwise, Let's agree to disagree on that one.

Never were human, never will be human.
Now this one I see why you choose to ignore the obvious, But when you do there are unexplained things, Like how God could hate someone before he was in his mother's womb. Like Esau, Or Elizabeth's husband, When the distinct angel appeared and told him to stop praying to him Because he was just like him. Now how can an angel be just like A man? Unless he had already passed through this earth age, Then died and went back to be with the Lord. Or Jesus who was God before he entered into his mother Mary.

Jesus was actually Melchezedeck of the old testament. How much more distinct can you get than that. Heb 7:1-2
It does, however, raise a good point in Heb 7:9-10 About Levi paying tithes even before he was in his father's loins. With your line of thinking none of this could be explained. I may not be a 100% correct on everything, I am only human But I think I keep thinking here with me. until I go back to be with the Lord. But then again I will have my new body then
Heb 1:5 For which angel did God ever say, “You are my Son, today I have begotten you”? Or again, “I will be to him a father, and he shall be to me a son”?"
This scripture I don't think really even applies here.
Heb. 1:14 "Are they not all ministering spirits sent out to serve for the sake of those who are to inherit salvation?" :)
These both are talking about Jesus being the embodiment of God. No other angel could do it. To me this sort of changing the subject.

Enocish

Nov 9, 2017
Right on jimd. This is the proper response to this question: The word soul in Gen. 2:7 is:

SOUL=H5315

נֶפֶשׁ​

nephesh

neh'-fesh

From H5314; properly a breathing creature, that is, animal or (abstractly) vitality; used very widely in a literal, accommodated or figurative sense (bodily or mental): - any, appetite, beast, body, breath, creature, X dead (-ly), desire, X [dis-] contented, X fish, ghost, + greedy, he, heart (-y), (hath, X jeopardy of) life (X in jeopardy), lust, man, me, mind, mortality, one, own, person, pleasure, (her-, him-, my-, thy-) self, them (your) -selves, + slay, soul, + tablet, they, thing, (X she) will, X would have it.

It is the same word in Genesis 1 that described creature Gen. 1:21. Furthermore nothing about man is immortal, only the saved have the promise of immortality at Christ's coming. :)
Just curious how many people were created and how many were born. While doing the math don't forget the sixth-day creation.

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
What I'm asking is when.

The six days of creation are all bounded by evenings and mornings. The
seventh day is not bounded, i.e. the seventh day is an on-going day; viz:
God is still on sabbatical and hasn't created anything new for the current
cosmos since the end of the sixth day.

So then, babies are nothing new; they're just extensions of the one soul that
God created in Gen 2:7, viz: the "all souls" of Ezek 18:4 are simply multiples
of that one soul; which is exactly what Adam was instructed to carry out.
(Gen 1:28)

"In Adam, all die" (1Cor 15:22)

Well, all die because all were doomed to die when God doomed that one soul
to die; viz: it only stands to reason that if that one soul was doomed to die,
then of course its multiples would automatically be doomed to die too.
_

P

pjharrison

We were born with a body, soul and spirit. Mathew 26: 38 Then he (Jesus) said to them, “My soul is overwhelmed with sorrow to the point of death. Stay here and keep watch with me.”
So we have a soul.
Mathew 26: 41 “Watch and pray so that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the body is weak.”
So we have a sprit and body.
4 And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die:
5 For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil.
What eyes would be opened?
God said you shall surely die. What would surely die?
The eyes to the soul were opened.
The spirit died and went dormant.
Since the spirit died and went dormant, that's why we have to be born again. To wake the spirit, and the soul humble itself to the spirit and follow. And be lead by the spirit. Then will be able to be taught by the Holy Spirit.

Zmouth

Nov 21, 2012

Do you also deduct that man was formed from the dust of the ground to be the dry land that God called Earth in Genesis 1:10?

But as far as the physical body of man as a triune being, without the three states of matter (solid/liquid/gas) you wouldn't have a physical body of flesh.

And all flesh died that moved upon the earth, both of fowl, and of cattle, and of beast, and of every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth, and every man: All in whose nostrils was the breath of life, of all that was in the dry land, died. Gen 7:21-22

Makes one think about what Jesus meant in John 3:7 wherein it is written, "Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again."

Enocish

Nov 9, 2017
Makes one think about what Jesus meant in John 3:7 wherein it is written, "Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
The word again is a bad translation, The word in the greek is an'othen which actually means from above. So when reading like it is in the manuscripts it reads
Joh 3:7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born from above.
Letting us know that the only way we can achieve salvation, is the angel's ( who have a spiritual body ) must take on the flesh, Just like God did through Christ.
Now, this is where it gets interesting, all souls ( that's all an angel is a soul that God sent as a messenger ) had a chance to choose of there own free will to come to this earth age through the womb of women, from above, whereby taking on flesh and blood, except five. These five had no choice in the matter.
Now, also we know according to Jude there were some who chose of there own free will not to do that, and that was there unforgivable sin. and those are who we are fighting against now, those are the principalities and powers in high places. ( there were others along the way but they were the first, ).
The Geber who came through the offspring of the angels is another story for another time.