Who did Jesus say would be told to "depart" from Him because he didn't know them?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

1still_waters

Who did Jesus say would be told to "depart" from Him because he didn't know them?

There are a couple of passages in the Gospels where Jesus describes the kinds of people he is going to tell to depart from him because he doesn't know them.. I'm sure these passages aren't an exhaustive list, but they do give us a few examples.

Here are the kinds of people Jesus is going to tell to depart from him because he doesn't know them.

I'll give the list first, then have the passages of scripture at the end of the post.

Matthew 7:21-23
1. People who honestly thought they knew him as Lord, heard from him, and spoke in his name. Verse 22

2. People who honestly thought they knew him as Lord, and thought they were casting out demons in his name. Verse 22

3. People who honestly thought they knew him as Lord, and honestly thought they were doing wonders in his name. Verse 22

Luke 13:23-30

4. People who didn't trust in the only way, Jesus.Verse 24

5. People who thought they existed in his presence and taught for him. Verse 26-27

Matthew 25:31-46 (This doesn't say depart for I never knew you, but it does include the depart from me aspect.)

6. People who didn't feed the hungry when they could. Verse 42

7. People who didn't give the thirsty a drink when they could. Verse 42

8. People who didn't take in a stranger when they could. Verse 43

9. People who didn't give people clothes when they could. Verse 43

10. People who didn't visit those who are sick or in prison. Verse 43

(The "when they could" qualifier is on there meaning God obviously isn't going to require something of someone if they aren't able. Knowing the nature of forums, a disclaimer is always a good thing to include.)

(After thought. Interesting how this list has 10 things. Could this be the 10 commandments of the NT?)

Matthew 7
21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

Luke 13

And He said to them, 24 “Strive to enter through the narrow gate, for many, I say to you, will seek to enter and will not be able. 25 When once the Master of the house has risen up and shut the door, and you begin to stand outside and knock at the door, saying, ‘Lord, Lord, open for us,’ and He will answer and say to you, ‘I do not know you, where you are from,’ 26 then you will begin to say, ‘We ate and drank in Your presence, and You taught in our streets.’ 27 But He will say, ‘I tell you I do not know you, where you are from. Depart from Me, all you workers of iniquity.’ 28 There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when you see Abraham and Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, and yourselves thrust out. 29 They will come from the east and the west, from the north and the south, and sit down in the kingdom of God. 30 And indeed there are last who will be first, and there are first who will be last.”

Matthew 25
31 “When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the holy[c] angels with Him, then He will sit on the throne of His glory. 32 All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats. 33 And He will set the sheep on His right hand, but the goats on the left. 34 Then the King will say to those on His right hand, ‘Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 35 for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; 36 I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? 38 When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? 39 Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ 40 And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’

41 “Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels: 42 for I was hungry and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty and you gave Me no drink; 43 I was a stranger and you did not take Me in, naked and you did not clothe Me, sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.’

44 “Then they also will answer Him,[d] saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to You?’ 45 Then He will answer them, saying, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’ 46 And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

Last edited:

Bookends

Aug 28, 2012
Re: Who did Jesus say would be told to "depart" from Him because he didn't know them?

Help me Lord, to love others as you loved me!

damombomb

Feb 27, 2011
Re: Who did Jesus say would be told to "depart" from Him because he didn't know them?

Luke12:47And that servant, who knew his lord's will, and prepared not himself, neither did according to his will, shall be beaten with many stripes.
Great post!

N

nw2u

Those who do not help their neighbor.

E

eternally-gratefull

It is sad that so may people believe they will be in heaven for eternity, Yet one day found out their works were useless, and could not save them. Because God NEVER KNEW THEM, because instead of recieving his GIFT, they tried to earn it!

A

Abiding

A big clue must be in these words that go along with "I never knew you" ...."you who practice lawlessness"
in another version "ye that work iniquity"

My first impression is that Jesus started out by talking about a strait gate, narrow way, then He mentions
false prophets....why mention false prophets here? Why say BEWARE?

Then He lists their deeds:
1 Prophecy in His name
2 cast out devils
3 did many wonderful works in Jesus name

Then immediately goes into how this happens. By not building life and motives on Him...and no obedience...but they have sheeps clothing.

This make me think of the wind of doctrine that says to judge them by their fruit. I understand Jesus said that we will know
them by their fruits.....but what did He mean?

I think we need to deduct from this passage.....sheeps clothing.....signs and wonders with good works..Hmmmm...what is fruit then? Beware!

G

GreenNnice

There are a couple of passages in the Gospels where Jesus describes the kinds of people he is going to tell to depart from him because he doesn't know them.. I'm sure these passages aren't an exhaustive list, but they do give us a few examples.

Here are the kinds of people Jesus is going to tell to depart from him because he doesn't know them.

I'll give the list first, then have the passages of scripture at the end of the post.

Matthew 7:21-23
1. People who honestly thought they knew him as Lord, heard from him, and spoke in his name. Verse 22

2. People who honestly thought they knew him as Lord, and thought they were casting out demons in his name. Verse 22

3. People who honestly thought they knew him as Lord, and honestly thought they were doing wonders in his name. Verse 22

Luke 13:23-30

4. People who didn't trust in the only way, Jesus.Verse 24

5. People who thought they existed in his presence and taught for him. Verse 26-27

Matthew 25:31-46 (This doesn't say depart for I never knew you, but it does include the depart from me aspect.)

6. People who didn't feed the hungry when they could. Verse 42

7. People who didn't give the thirsty a drink when they could. Verse 42

8. People who didn't take in a stranger when they could. Verse 43

9. People who didn't give people clothes when they could. Verse 43

10. People who didn't visit those who are sick or in prison. Verse 43

(The "when they could" qualifier is on there meaning God obviously isn't going to require something of someone if they aren't able. Knowing the nature of forums, a disclaimer is always a good thing to include.)

(After thought. Interesting how this list has 10 things. Could this be the 10 commandments of the NT?)

Matthew 7
21 “Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. 22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

Luke 13

And He said to them, 24 “Strive to enter through the narrow gate, for many, I say to you, will seek to enter and will not be able. 25 When once the Master of the house has risen up and shut the door, and you begin to stand outside and knock at the door, saying, ‘Lord, Lord, open for us,’ and He will answer and say to you, ‘I do not know you, where you are from,’ 26 then you will begin to say, ‘We ate and drank in Your presence, and You taught in our streets.’ 27 But He will say, ‘I tell you I do not know you, where you are from. Depart from Me, all you workers of iniquity.’ 28 There will be weeping and gnashing of teeth, when you see Abraham and Isaac and Jacob and all the prophets in the kingdom of God, and yourselves thrust out. 29 They will come from the east and the west, from the north and the south, and sit down in the kingdom of God. 30 And indeed there are last who will be first, and there are first who will be last.”

Matthew 25
31 “When the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the holy[c] angels with Him, then He will sit on the throne of His glory. 32 All the nations will be gathered before Him, and He will separate them one from another, as a shepherd divides his sheep from the goats. 33 And He will set the sheep on His right hand, but the goats on the left. 34 Then the King will say to those on His right hand, ‘Come, you blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world: 35 for I was hungry and you gave Me food; I was thirsty and you gave Me drink; I was a stranger and you took Me in; 36 I was naked and you clothed Me; I was sick and you visited Me; I was in prison and you came to Me.’

37 “Then the righteous will answer Him, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry and feed You, or thirsty and give You drink? 38 When did we see You a stranger and take You in, or naked and clothe You? 39 Or when did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’ 40 And the King will answer and say to them, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did it to one of the least of these My brethren, you did it to Me.’

41 “Then He will also say to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from Me, you cursed, into the everlasting fire prepared for the devil and his angels: 42 for I was hungry and you gave Me no food; I was thirsty and you gave Me no drink; 43 I was a stranger and you did not take Me in, naked and you did not clothe Me, sick and in prison and you did not visit Me.’

44 “Then they also will answer Him,[d] saying, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not minister to You?’ 45 Then He will answer them, saying, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, inasmuch as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’ 46 And these will go away into everlasting punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”
Choices. The ones we make are eternally important, I hope and pray you never depart from that kind of thinking.

Enduring? A choice.
Fighting the good fight of faith? A choice.
Leaving the Holy Spirit's recognized goodness, the worst choice one can make.

Foreboding warnings from God Himself on earth of the consequencs of not making right choices.
, one worse than others, but all put one at risk of not even realizing they had, unbeknownst to their thinking, departed their Father. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
E

eternally-gratefull

Choices. The ones we make are eternally important, I hope and pray you never depart from that kind of thinking.

Enduring? A choice.
Fighting the good fight of faith? A choice.
Leaving the Holy Spirit's recognized goodness, the worst choice one can make.

Foreboding warnings from God Himself on earth of the consequencs of not making right choices.
, one worse than others, but all put one at risk of not even realizing they had, unbeknownst to their thinking, departed their Father. :(
We can't depart from the father once we are adopted. God is eternal, he is also omnipresent. We may try to depart, but he knows where to find us.Notice jesus said I NEVER KNEW YOU. If one was saved and adopted as a son of God, and lost it by departing/. Jesus would have lied by saying he never knew them. Because in the time they were in the same family, Jesus would have known him. Jesus did not Say I knew you and you left me, he said I never knew you, key phrase.

RickyZ

Sep 20, 2012

I have a chapter on this but it's 3 pages long... INCLUDING CHAPTER AND VERSE REFERENCES! (That's big for some people ;)) If anyone's interested message me I'll send it to you.

T

Tandemtruths

John 3:1-8
1Now there was a man of the Pharisees named Nicodemus, a ruler of the Jews. 2 This man came to Jesus by night and said to him, “Rabbi, we know that you are a teacher come from God, for no one can do these signs that you do unless God is with him.” 3 Jesus answered him, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born again he cannot see the kingdom of God.” 4 Nicodemus said to him, “How can a man be born when he is old? Can he enter a second time into his mother's womb and be born?” 5 Jesus answered, “Truly, truly, I say to you, unless one is born of water and the Spirit, he cannot enter the kingdom of God. 6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh, and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. 7 Do not marvel that I said to you, ‘You must be born again.’ 8 The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear its sound, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit.”

I think this is a perfect example of the difference of perceiving Jesus, and knowing him. And a direct connection to 1still_waters' passages:
2 Timothy 3:5-8
5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with them.

6 They are the kind who worm their way into homes and gain control over weak-willed women, who are loaded down with sins and are swayed by all kinds of evil desires, 7 always learning but never able to acknowledge the truth. 8 Just as Jannes and Jambres opposed Moses, so also these men oppose the truth—men of depraved minds, who, as far as the faith is concerned, are rejected.

others to consider: Rom 4:13, Rom 1:17, Eph 2:13

How peter emphasized obedience to Christ (rather than the law [works]) at the start of his letter: 1 Pet 1:2
2 who have been chosen according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through the sanctifying work of the Spirit, for obedience to Jesus Christ and sprinkling by his blood:

Grace and peace be yours in abundance.

Or just plainly put:
John 14:5-7 EVERYBODY!

5 Thomas said to him, “Lord, we don’t know where you are going, so how can we know the way?”

6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me. 7 If you really knew me, you would know my Father as well. From now on, you do know him and have seen him.”

J

jkalyna

:eek::p:) WHAT IT MEANS TO ME IS THIS. THE SCRIPTURE THAT SAID, MY SHEEP KNOW MY VOICE, ANOTHER THEY WILL NOT LISTEN TO. { I NEVER KNEW YOU}. HOW ABOUT A STORY OF A SON WHO'S FATHER NEVER KNEW HE HAD. ONE DAY THE SON COMES TO THE FATHER AND SAYS, LET ME INTO YOUR HOUSE, AND LIVE THERE. THE MAN MIGHT REACT SAYING, I NEVER KNEW YOU BEFORE, AND WHO ARE YOU? WHAT THIS MEANS TO ME IS OUR PRAYER LIFE. OUR COMMUNICATION WITH THE LORD, OUR FELLOWSHIP IN THE CLOSET WITH HIM. PRAYER TALKING TO HIM, AND LISTENING.:):):p:eek:

PopClick

Aug 12, 2011

22 Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ 23 And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’
Reminds me of this:

"1Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. 2And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. 3And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing."

Feb 11, 2012

Jesus also made it clear who His sheep were,and those He sent away were the ones who were doing good dead works on the outside,but still defiled and disobedient in thier heart.

You can be the best tither, worshiper,giving of all your time, and charity, but still be defiled in your heart.

Many today do just that, they feed the poor, give much of thier time, but never preach the truth on repentance and faith both proven by deeds.

We all need to be open to give,and help a neighbor in need, but of most importance is being a strong light for the truth. As without a crucified life walking in the truth,all you do is just vanity and chaff.

A Saint or an aint?

Joh 10:27 My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow(obey) Me.

Either you are one or the other, no such things as a sinning saint! A saint is walking in the present tense with Christ, being obedient, pure in heart and deed, and listening to His voice, then they follow Him on the narrow road. Luke 9-23-24.

Luke 9:23 And He said to all, If anyone desires to come after Me, let him deny himself and take up his cross daily and follow Me.
Luke 9:24 For whoever will save his life shall lose it, but whoever will lose his life for My sake, he shall save it.

A real saint as described in the Bible has crucified his flesh with Christ, Galatians 2-20,

Gal 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ, and I live; yet no longer I, but Christ lives in me. And that life I now live in the flesh, I live by faith(obedience) toward the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself on my behalf.

Once and for all, hence I have been crucified, and thus they now walk in newness of life, 2 Corinthians 5-17.

2Co 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold all things are become new.

Cleansed and purified of all willful sin, through a real repentance and faith. 2 Corinthians 7-10-11.

2Co 7:10 For the grief according to God works repentance to salvation, not to be regretted, but the grief of the world works out death.
2Co 7:11 For behold this same thing (you being grieved according to God); how much it worked out earnestness in you; but also defense; but also indignation; but also fear; but also desire; but also zeal; but also vengeance! In everything you approved yourselves to be clear (pure) in the matter.

They must remain diligent and faithful to the truth, obey from the heart, and keep themselves undefiled from the world and its false ways! 1 John 2-15-17.

1Jn 2:15 Do not love the world, nor the things in the world. If anyone loves the world, the love of the Father is not in him,
1Jn 2:16 because all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.
1Jn 2:17 And the world passes away, and the lust of it, but he who does the will of God abides forever.

You are not a saint without actually doing the works of righteousness(doing what is right) Jesus didn’t obey for you, but made a way, through His bold example for us to follow, He said His sheep follow Him and His steps and ways, which leads to eternal life. But sadly most churches teaches Jesus did it all for them, He took their place, and a real Christian is actually a sinner, but called a saint because they believe in Jesus!

Rom 8:4 So that the righteousness of the Law might be fulfilled in us,who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.

It’s simple, obedience matters, those who count the cost and endure to the end will inherit eternal life, as you walk in the spirit, and not the flesh, walking as Jesus walked, in sincerity, purity and love!

A real saint will not be perfect as some think perfection is( as perfect as God) BUT will be living the crucified life, that only comes through repentance and faith both proven by deeds! And these deeds include obeying Jesus from the heart, abstaining from all appearances of evil, departing from iniquity, counting the cost, and most of all, crucifying your flesh with Christ once and for all, not because He did it for you, but because He commands you to do it, and a real saint will never argue in favor of sin!

Gal 5:24 But those belonging to Christ have crucified the fleshwith its passions and lusts.
Gal 5:25 If we live in the Spirit, let us also walk in the Spirit.
Tommy

Many will say this way is too difficult, and will come up with many excuses why they can’t obey and follow Jesus on the narrow road, but Jesus made it perfectly clear when He said, strive to enter the narrow gate, where the professing church says, it’s done for you, you cannot obey God, and to fear Him isn't important, just believe all is done, you do nothing but trust it has been done for you! Does this sound like the narrow way Jesus preached in the word?

Ecc 12:13 Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man.
Ecc 12:14 For God shall bring every work into judgment, with every secret thing, whether it be good, or whether it be evil.

Feb 11, 2012

When I talk about sin, I do not mean our many faults, struggles ,slip ups ,etc,,, but I do mean willful pre meditated presumptuous sin against God, this is sin that separates you from God, such as fornication, porn watching,adultery, idolatry, etc,,, all sin isn't the same, I agree sin is missing the mark ,we all do it each and every day.

But missing the mark by falling in to willful rebellion against God, leads to death,and must be repented of and nailed to the cross with Christ, mistakes will happen, many poor judgment's and decisions we feel are right at the time and regret later etc, but many in the system are in great bondage to the mentioned sins, they remain in them and have never come through real repentance and faith that leads to a purified heart. Because the churches today do not teach the crucified life, its all a done deal in thier eyes, Jesus did it all, and no vile sins will disqualify them from the kingdom.

Gal 5:19 Now the works of the flesh are clearly revealed, which are: adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lustfulness,
Gal 5:20 idolatry, sorcery, hatreds, fightings, jealousies, angers, rivalries, divisions, heresies,
Gal 5:21 envyings, murders, drunkennesses, revelings, and things like these; of which I tell you before, as I also said before, that they who do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

E

eternally-gratefull

As we can see. Jesus is speaking of people like Tommy here. Who place their faith not in the finished work of Christ. but their ability to stop sin, or not do what he claims to be the "deadly sins" It is based on them, and not Christ, that is why he said they did all these works, but what did it prophet them? "depart for I NEVER KNEW YOU"

Tommy seems to think someone could be saved, and be known by and of God, be a member of his family, and somehow sin himself out of the family, where they are cast out of Gods family and kingdom. Yet Christ did not say that here. He said I NEVER KNEW YOU.

We ALL practice unrighteousness. because we can never be sinless. Don;t let people say there are differing degrees of sin, James said if you break the least of the law you are found guilty of the whole law. It is easy to boast of your righteous deeds because you do not do those sins, But it is hard to see the sin we commit on a daily basis. If we looked at our lives in the eyes of God we would be appalled at our own self, and see the truely sinful people we still are. Paul did, And he did nto struggle with porn, Adultry. fornication or any of the sins tommy mentioned. Yet he still found himself as guilty as they were in his every day life. why? He realised what it would take to be righteous before God. perfection, and he could not make it, even til the day he died.

A

Abiding

As we can see. Jesus is speaking of people like Tommy here. Who place their faith not in the finished work of Christ. but their ability to stop sin, or not do what he claims to be the "deadly sins" It is based on them, and not Christ, that is why he said they did all these works, but what did it prophet them? "depart for I NEVER KNEW YOU"

Tommy seems to think someone could be saved, and be known by and of God, be a member of his family, and somehow sin himself out of the family, where they are cast out of Gods family and kingdom. Yet Christ did not say that here. He said I NEVER KNEW YOU.

We ALL practice unrighteousness. because we can never be sinless. Don;t let people say there are differing degrees of sin, James said if you break the least of the law you are found guilty of the whole law. It is easy to boast of your righteous deeds because you do not do those sins, But it is hard to see the sin we commit on a daily basis. If we looked at our lives in the eyes of God we would be appalled at our own self, and see the truely sinful people we still are. Paul did, And he did nto struggle with porn, Adultry. fornication or any of the sins tommy mentioned. Yet he still found himself as guilty as they were in his every day life. why? He realised what it would take to be righteous before God. perfection, and he could not make it, even til the day he died.
Yes but the whitewash job does lift the ego...dont forget that.:rolleyes:

The more light you put on an object the more dirt and grime you see.

C

cfultz3

We can't depart from the father once we are adopted.*****
I wish to apologize to the author of this thread for speaking on a different matter.

Rev 22:19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

Rev 3:5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

For one to be in the Book of Life, then they must have been in the group which has everlasting life. We only have to look at these two verses to see that it was a choice committed by a human by which God would took their name out of that Book which states who has life in them.

If I have life in me, that is, Jesus, and I am not overcoming, which is a choice of who servant I am, THEN I will be blotted out and returned to the judgment of death.

If I choice to take away from God's revelation, THEN I am again erased out of that Book by a choice I made.

What then is the purpose of God saying there is a possibility of being erased from that Book, if there is no chance of someone departing from God, even as Hebrews 3:12 tells us? Why then are we warned to give heed to what the Spirit says in Hebrews 3? What happens if we become hardened in the heart towards His Voice, as per Hebrews 3:13? But all the more, we are to exhort one another so that we do not become like those who fell in the wilderness because of a faithless heart, even though they received salvation from their bondage.

A

Abiding

I wish to apologize to the author of this thread for speaking on a different matter.

Rev 22:19 And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book.

Rev 3:5 He that overcometh, the same shall be clothed in white raiment; and I will not blot out his name out of the book of life, but I will confess his name before my Father, and before his angels.

For one to be in the Book of Life, then they must have been in the group which has everlasting life. We only have to look at these two verses to see that it was a choice committed by a human by which God would took their name out of that Book which states who has life in them.

If I have life in me, that is, Jesus, and I am not overcoming, which is a choice of who servant I am, THEN I will be blotted out and returned to the judgment of death.

If I choice to take away from God's revelation, THEN I am again erased out of that Book by a choice I made.

What then is the purpose of God saying there is a possibility of being erased from that Book, if there is no chance of someone departing from God, even as Hebrews 3:12 tells us? Why then are we warned to give heed to what the Spirit says in Hebrews 3? What happens if we become hardened in the heart towards His Voice, as per Hebrews 3:13? But all the more, we are to exhort one another so that we do not become like those who fell in the wilderness because of a faithless heart, even though they received salvation from their bondage.

Are we sure all names are not originally in the book of life? It would seem that it could be a possibility

E

eternally-gratefull

lol. We were chosen BEFORE THE FOUNDATION OF THE WORLD to be adopted into Gods family, to be made holy and blameless. To be Justified before God.

so tell me. How can we be chosen to be given eternal life and adopted as Gods eternal sons BEFORE the foundation of the world. Then 1. Be given it when God knows we will lose it for whatever reason, and 2, have it taken away after we were given it? Did God get fooled somehow into thinking we would get it, then have to take it back because we did not deserve it?

As paul said, are we to be fools thinking we begin our eternal life by the spirit, then my perfect our salvation by the works of the law or being good enough?

If Salvation is by grace, and is freely given to people who do not deserve it. Then it can not be taken away because someone did not deserve to keep it. We did not deserve it, we will never deserve it. and to say otherwise it to place to much faith in self and not enough faith in God.

As for book of life. I believe everyone is written in, untilt hey die, those blotted out are done so because they committed the unpardonable sin, which is to reject the grace of God.They will instead be tried based on there works, and found hopless, and told to depart into everlasting darkness. Many screaming because they thought they were saved, but either outright rejected God, or tries to work it out themselves by trying to earn Gods love instead of freely receiving it. we can't earn Gods love. God loved us when we were his enemy, how much more will he love us when we are his child. a parent does not kick a child out for sin, for wrongdoing, or because they did not live up to their standard, then love them unconditionally. this is how God loves us, we may try to leave God, but he will never leave us or forsake us, try hiding from God. Jonah tried., how well did that work for him?

Last edited by a moderator:
A

Abiding

Are we sure all names are not originally in the book of life? It would seem that it could be a possibility

This is why i asked:
1 many clear passages that say we are saved...sealed...incorruptable seed...which doenst fade away...etc.
2 overcomers remind me of the parable of the sower....where people ditched before they took root(regenerated) bornagain
3 the other verse that said those who left us never were with us.
4 Jesus made it clear noone could take us out(we are a someone)
5 Paul said nothing in the heavens or earth could even multidimentialy

Back to the OP these wonderworking people Jesus is talking about never took root or were saved.
But they sure looked like it and thought they were.