Who is my Neighbour?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

mystic7

Jul 27, 2013
Matthew 22:36-40 Master, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Luke 10:26-37 He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou? And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself. And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live. But he, willing to justify himself, said unto Jesus, And who is my neighbour? And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead. And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side. And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side. But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him, And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him. And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave them to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee. Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves? And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.

According to these teachings, who is my neighbour?

Dino246

Jun 30, 2015
I'm tempted to write, "the guy in the ditch". However, I suspect you may be serious. Of course, if you do come across a guy in a ditch....

I think the point of the parable is to cast aside man-made rules, preconceptions, and prejudices, and focus on loving the people in your path... whether they are "like you" or not, and without fear of being defiled in some way.

J

joefizz

Matthew 22:36-40 Master, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets.

Luke 10:26-37 He said unto him, What is written in the law? how readest thou? And he answering said, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy strength, and with all thy mind; and thy neighbour as thyself. And he said unto him, Thou hast answered right: this do, and thou shalt live. But he, willing to justify himself, said unto Jesus, And who is my neighbour? And Jesus answering said, A certain man went down from Jerusalem to Jericho, and fell among thieves, which stripped him of his raiment, and wounded him, and departed, leaving him half dead. And by chance there came down a certain priest that way: and when he saw him, he passed by on the other side. And likewise a Levite, when he was at the place, came and looked on him, and passed by on the other side. But a certain Samaritan, as he journeyed, came where he was: and when he saw him, he had compassion on him, And went to him, and bound up his wounds, pouring in oil and wine, and set him on his own beast, and brought him to an inn, and took care of him. And on the morrow when he departed, he took out two pence, and gave them to the host, and said unto him, Take care of him; and whatsoever thou spendest more, when I come again, I will repay thee. Which now of these three, thinkest thou, was neighbour unto him that fell among the thieves? And he said, He that shewed mercy on him. Then said Jesus unto him, Go, and do thou likewise.

According to these teachings, who is my neighbour?
Your neighbor would be anyone that you seeing in need that you can help that you have a way to help to help.

J

joefizz

Your neighbor would be anyone that you seeing in need that you can help that you have a way to help to help.
I'll expand a bit more...
Basically Jesus would have us help those in need that we "can help" like with the Samaritan he obviously had some source of money or income and he simply helped the man as he would if it were himself or family but, some go about this "wrong" the scripture doesn't mean to use up all of what you have to help someone in need(or that you think is in need) leaving yourself broke(I have family members that did this and ended up in a mess) it means of that which you "can" help a person in need with,you help them, like once again the Samaritan helped "knowing" what he had to give of himself, there is a fine line between "helping" and "squandering".

mcubed

Dec 20, 2013
I'm tempted to write, "the guy in the ditch". However, I suspect you may be serious. Of course, if you do come across a guy in a ditch....

I think the point of the parable is to cast aside man-made rules, preconceptions, and prejudices, and focus on loving the people in your path... whether they are "like you" or not, and without fear of being defiled in some way.
You know I get you with the "guy in the ditch".... or the way I interpreted it the guy in the gutter.... And I get your "joke" I man really get it....

I will buy beggars food... and I can count on 2 hands how many times I went to the store bought bread, peanut butter, and jelly for them and they were gone when I returned.... They wanted money not food!!! Outside McDonalds people ask for money, I say no but I will buy you food... And they say "no" I want money.... I had one man be honest with me and say I need to get high but I am hungry.... So I bought him food gave him enough to go get high (addicts as addicts need to get high) and told him where he can get free treatment, and I if ever see him here again I will not help him.

Every human is my neighbor and if I am done "wrong" by being "good" G-d sees it and counts it as righteousness...