Who is your favorite Bible character?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 19, 2009
Who, other than the Lord, is your favorite Bible character, and why?

C

charisenexcelcis

Luke, the beloved physician. History tells us that he was probably a slave, purchased by one of the two "great" healing schools in Asia Minor. There he learned both practical and occultic medicine. As he progress, they would have tatooed his hands with pagan symbols and pictures intended to win the favor of the gods of Greece. Eventually Luke was probably purchased by a rich man, apparently Theophilis (in Troas), because of some ongoing physical ailment (malaria? epilepsy?). I believe that he was able to relieve sympthoms but not heal Theophilis. So, along comes Paul. Theophilis is healed through Paul's ministry and sends Luke (because Luke was literate) with Paul so that Luke can learn about Jesus and send Theophilis an account of the life of Jesus. Now this is the part that hits me. Paul refers to Luke as the beloved physician. Why would he do that? Why not brother in Christ or co-worker in the ministry? This is what I think: Paul gets sick (perhaps his thorn in the flesh) and Luke uses his practical knowledge to care for Paul. What a picture of grace, this man with the pagan scars on his hands being allowed to minister healing to the man with the great healing ministry. This is me, so priviledged, so graced to be able to be of use to the One who saved me out of wickedness and insanity.

Dec 19, 2009
I like John the Baptist. His message (“Repent, the kingdom of heaven is at hand”) seems, to me, to be straight to the point.

K

kujo313

King David.

As a kid, he left the sheep and went to the front lines where King Saul and people were hiding from Goliath and the Phillistines. He said "Just WHO does this guy THINK he is? Coming against G-d's annointed?"
Such confidence in G-d!
THEN, to took out his slingshot and hit Goliath between the eyes!
Think about it:

To get a shot like that he'd have to have been good at his weapon. I bet that while he was watching the sheep one of his friends could've said to him, "Hey, Dave! I bet you can't hit that tree way over there."
David would've replied, "WHICH branch do you want me to hit?"

I bet he was THAT good.

THEN, when he was king, he danced before the LORD with all his might.

When was the last time YOU did that before people?

M

mcubed

My favorite is Jacob. I see how G-d relates to man through him. In spite all Jacob did G-d never came down on him nor rejected him. G-d was continually with Jacob and blessed him, it did not matter… when Jacob acted in fear (when returning home and he meant up with Esau) G-d came down and meant him at Peniel. He suffered consequences for his decisions and had to leave home because Esau wanted to kill him and G-d meant Jacob in the wilderness and made a covenant with him. When Laban took advantage of him and used him, Jacob had to go through it but G-d blessed him. He is the perfect evidence that G-d works all things together for those that love Him. G-d honored Jacob He allowed the 12 tribes to come from him, Messiah came from him, our homeland is named after him—Israel. Jacob was very, very human but he loved G-d and G-d is soooo amazing in how He dealt with him.

M

machew

Definitely David. David was the only man that God called "a man after my own heart" and was able to pull in New Covenant blessing into his relationship with God. God allowed David to enter into the Holy place in the temple, even though he was not a priest, and it was illegal according to God's law established in Israel. Any person that entered this Holy of Holies in the temple if they were unclean or not a priest would immediately die. But because of David's burning heart for God, God seems to have made an exception. David was able to tap into God's heart, His intentions to redeem His people from sin and bring them into His presence. He brought a new covenant blessing into his time.

David also had amazing character shown when he had multiple opportunities to kill Saul while being chased for more than 10 years while Saul tried to kill him. It was prophesied to David that God would deliver David from Saul, yet David was able to recognize Saul as someone God anointed and made king, and was unwilling to go against God's established authority. He was patient enough to wait for God to do it, and recognized the opportunities to kill Saul, as not being what God wanted him to do.

David sinned, but David was able to repent and be restored as the generational seed of Jesus, where God calls his own Son the son of David. David's life stirs my soul into hunger for God, realizing that David was able to have his relationship with God with an inferior covenant than the one we are live in.

Last edited:

haley4jesus

Jul 28, 2009
My favorite character is Esther... as a little girl it was fun imagining myself to be her. Beautiful, regal... so bravely going in before the king knowing her life was in peril. What an honor it would be to know that my life may be for a time that God has for me, there for a time like this.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
Well as a child I always liked David, for taking out Golieth. That his streangth came from God and took out the big bad guy.
As an adult? I still like David, but John is my fave, he speaks to the heart, humility, and truth.
God bless, pickles

G

greatkraw

My favourite author is John, so he will do

D

Definition_Christ

Other than the Lord - OK.

Gideon!!!

G

greatkraw

Gideon experimented with genetic engineering - the old fashioned way

S

sunali

Elijah.
He stood strong against extreme opposition and refused to compromise.
He chose to serve God, even though it put his life in danger.
He stood out as an example in the worst time of ancient Israeli history.

DinoDillinger

Jul 28, 2009
I think I would say Moses, imagine going to people and saying, these are the words of I AM. nuff said.

W

Wootie

David is my favorite. He howed that no matter who you are or what you are going through that God can make you a giant. All it takes is a true faith in God. David's faith made him larger than all put together that tried to defeat Goliath.

A

Ash_JFF

My favorite is David and Rahab.

David: All he cares about is the heart of God. Even when he messes up, he repents and continues to trust and long after God.

Rahab: She was a prostitute who saved the spies in Jerico. Imagine the courage she had to have to ask the spies to save her when she knew Jerico was going to be destroyed. What great faith she had to have to believe that an unknown God (to her) would care for her when she has done so much wrong in her life. All she heard about this God is that He protected his people and destroyed anyone in the way. God really worked in her heart. She is even mentioned in the Hall of Faith in Romans. She is a great example of God's love and faithfulness to us.

J

jesus_be4_religion

Definitely Job, because he went through so much troubles and everyone told him it was his fault and to even curse God yet he stayed strong and went to the Father and asked him why he was having all the troubles. I would love for God to say about me to Satan but look at my son Jason he still praises me. I love you God through all my problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.