Who touched me??

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Walter11

In Matthew 9:20, Luke 8:43, we read of a woman that touched Jesus cloak in the mist of so many people that thronged Him. How did she do that? What did she know that the others that were thronging Christ did not know including Peter and they that were with him??? This is why i love the bible, there is always something intriguing about it that is not so often noticed by a great many christians out there. Now, what really happend to Saul and those that were with him on the way to Damascus in Acts 9:7, 22:9, 26:13??? Where was Eve when God was telling Adam not to eat from the forbiden tree? Dont speed read the bible, study it instead.

Jan 8, 2009
The bit I get most out of the women touching Jesus thing, is how it describes what Jesus felt:

Luk 8:46 And Jesus said, Somebody hath touched me: for I perceive that virtue is gone out of me.

W

Walter11

The bit I get most out of the women touching Jesus thing, is how it describes what Jesus felt:

Luk 8:46 And Jesus said, Somebody hath touched me: for I perceive that virtue is gone out of me.
The mystery of what you have said i think goes back to the day of Adam and Eve. You will remember that when they ate from the forbidden tree, their eyes were opened and they saw that they were naked. Adam in relation to the land portrays every green grass that covers the land, while Eve is the land or ground or earth. Satan turned the world into a wilderness with his lie, Isaiah 14:17. That woman understood who she was and only needed to touch Christs cloak, a symbol of His flesh, the very thing we all need, to cover our sins and nakedness that came about as the result of our first parents. Look at what God is doing in Isaiah 51:3, 62:4-5. Unless we understand how a man and woman relate to each other and how they both relate to the world they live in, it might not be easy to understand many things in scripture.

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
I think that lady who touched Jesus-- like a whole bunch of other people in the bible aswell... just wanted to be healed, and revered Jesus as the Healer.. greatly!

But it is interesting that in that big throng you don see others touching Jesus' cloak and being healed.. hmm

W

Walter11

I think that lady who touched Jesus-- like a whole bunch of other people in the bible aswell... just wanted to be healed, and revered Jesus as the Healer.. greatly!

But it is interesting that in that big throng you don see others touching Jesus' cloak and being healed.. hmm
Thats the mystery behind that woman. She must have known something that the others did not know. She did what only a woman can.

Jan 8, 2009
She was probably the one with the faith, as Jesus said to her ,
Daughter,
thy faith hath made thee whole.

We notice that Jesus always commends the faith of a person, as if she had healed herself, and she did.

W

Walter11

She was probably the one with the faith, as Jesus said to her ,
Daughter,
thy faith hath made thee whole.

We notice that Jesus always commends the faith of a person, as if she had healed herself, and she did.
It could only have been the faith of Christ that healed her which she had to touch. She must have heard as we read in Romans 10:17 thus had the faith of Christ in her and not of her own.

Jan 8, 2009
Jesus said "thy faith". Not, "My faith has healed thee".

W

Walter11

Jesus said "thy faith". Not, "My faith has healed thee".
True, but then why touch Christ if she had enough of her own faith to heal herself? Healing someone is like forgiving that persons sins. Thats what Christ ment in Mark 2:9-10.

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
True, but then why touch Christ if she had enough of her own faith to heal herself? Healing someone is like forgiving that persons sins. Thats what Christ ment in Mark 2:9-10.

You can't heal yourself!

Christ can heal you, If it His will to do so, it is not 'Christs faith' It was the womans faith. Check out Peter trying to walk on water 'Christ was fine He was on the water, it wass Peter who had the problem'.

I fail to see the point you are trying to make by this thread, and it almost seems to be an insinuation, that we don't study God's word but you do? Hope I am wrong.

Soli Deo Gloria

Phil

W

Walter11

It took me a while to realize the difference between our own faith and that of Christ and i seek answers to compair them with what i know to help me better understand less i find myself trusting in what i am not suppose to. This is the main purpose of this thread phil36. I find a big difference between our own faith and that of Christ but i could also be taking it the wrong way.

B

broken

Her faith at that moment in time was surrounding the issue of touching his cloak. "IF only I touch his cloak, I will be healed. 21" She fully believed that touching his cloak would heal here, therefore, the moment she touched his cloak her faith was activiated. Christ said, "Your faith has headled you. 22" 'Not I have healed you.' I take nothing away from the Christ in saying that. I am just man. SHe could easily have believed that if she prayed in the name of jesus she would be healed. If her faith was surrounding that name, it would have been so. So its not 'She' that healed herself, rather her faith was activiated. We can see something similar happen in Mathew 8:5-13. In this case the centurian fully believed that christ merly speaking had the power to heal.

I also find it interesting that CHrist said he felt virtue leave him. It is a curious thing for him to say. Notice he didn't say power for example.

Jan 8, 2009
Obviously she had no power herself to heal herself. Faith in itself has no power, it is a means to an end. It is an enabler that enables and allows God to work. Things are done through faith, things are done by faith. But faith is only one , but a very important part of the whole healing event. Christ had His own faith, which allowed Him to do miraculous things. The woman had her own faith, which allowed her to reach out and touch Christ. Jesus always commended the faith in the person who was healed, or rebuked the lack of faith in the person/s who were not healed or hindered their healing. This also demonstrates the great humility of Christ, who could easily have boasted in His great ability to work miracles, but rather commends those who trust in Him.

Jan 8, 2009
By the way broken, the word for virtue means:

) strength power, ability
a) inherent power, power residing in a thing by virtue of its nature, or which a person or thing exerts and puts forth
b) power for performing miracles
c) moral power and excellence of soul
d) the power and influence which belong to riches and wealth
e) power and resources arising from numbers
f) power consisting in or resting upon armies, forces, hosts

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand
There are even those who are healed regardless of their faith in Jesus.. Lazarus is the first example that comes to mind

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
I am not one to recite verse or scripture. A reading cognitive issue. Jesus is faithful through his spirit and has always given me the understanding he knows I need. This scripture has always held a very tresured place in my heart. Many years ago when I was going through a tough time I felt so worn out. I started telling Jesus in my prayers that I was touching his sleeve . My way of saying that it took all my streangth just to do this, knowing he would understand what was in my heart at that time. It was during this time that I was given this scripture. It is beyond words to describe what I knew and felt when I heard this scripture, but he healed and restored my hope. I always felt that this was about more than just her being healed. It was about Jesus telling her that he could see her with his heart and aknowaging her faith. You see that was what this scritpure did for me. Jesus told me he knew and could see me even though I was lost in the crowd and I was healed. God bless, pickles

W

Walter11

Now, Lazarus is one fine example. Was it really he's own faith or that of Christ that got him out of that grave?? Did he not first hear Christ's voice calling him? Everyone who came running to Christ for help must have first heard what He can do for them. I say this in light of what we read in Romans 10:17. I think when Christ said, your faith has made you whole, He must have ment the faith we get when we hear of Him and not really our own faith. Can you see what i mean?

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
Many times people were healed because of the compassion Jesus felt for them or in Lazarus, his sorrow and compassion for others.

Jan 8, 2009
Lazarus wasn't healed, he was raised from the dead lol. But that said, God does and can heal and do miracles without the receiver having faith themself, but it is the exception to the norm and requires a gift of healing. John 5:4 is one such example.

If the bible says it was their faith, it was their faith.
God does do miracles by the "hearing of faith" (Gal 3:5).
First the word must be spoken, then it must be believed.
But it is the person's own faith that they put in what they hear.

There's nothing mystical or mysterious or magical about faith coming into a person after they hear some words. It is just that they have chosen to put the measure of faith that they already have, into what they hear. That measure of faith is dependant upon their willingness to hear and obey and trust.

That's why some had little faith and others hand great faith. God cannot be blamed for the little faith or credited for the great faith. Why was Jesus so surprised at times by their great faith if it was His faith to begin with? shouldn't He have known? Why did Jesus scold them for their little faith if that little faith too was from Him?

J

jgrig2

In Genesis it was using human language because an all knowing God must use human language to some extent to communicate and dialogue with His creation. In the Gospels it is a bit more complicated for Jessus was one person with 2 natures. Being Reformed I would say as a human he was, is and never shall be omniscient. As God he is and always was and always will be. How they relate together in the person of Jesus Christ... I leave that to mystery for God has not choosen to reveal this answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.