Why did G-d give us the Torah?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 27, 2009
I have quite an extensive list of verses that apply to this, but I think I'd like to try to let this thread progress the same way our original Bible study did... By simply posing the question, and seeing what kinds of answers people can find in the Bible.

So, what say you? Or more importantly, what does SCRIPTURE tell us, as to what G-d's reasoning was for giving us the Torah ?

For any that don't know, the Torah is the five books of Moses, and by extension, the instructions ("law" is a poor translation) contained therein.

L

lil-rush

Can I cheat and ask Leo?

Sep 25, 2009
Why is the default asking Leo? Have y'all forgotten that we believe the same, Hollie? :p

L

lil-rush

Well, Leo doesn't have an account here, so if I ask him I don't have to worry about him coming and giving an answer on here.

Sep 27, 2009
*sigh* you can't use Leo's whole list at once. That defeats the point of what I'm trying to do here.

Hey, I've got a challenge for you if you want to hop right in, though.

The ORIGINAL thread started out being about Paul.

See, I had found one answer from Messiah on this question (Why did G-d give us the Torah?) and quite a different answer from Paul.

If you want, you could see about finding those answers, which I don't think Leo has on his list.

But if you must consult him, then just take it nice and slow as you post them, please.

S

Sunnie82

Please don't think that I am being ignorant. I am not Jewish or know much about Judaism. Why do you spell God the way that you did. I am not asking to offend you in any way. I am just curious and want to learn.

Sep 27, 2009
No offense taken.

It's a combination of two things. One is that we are not to use lightly the Name of G-d (Exo 20).

And the other thing is that the Hebrew word for "keeping" G-d's commands, is really more along the lines of "guarding" them, the way one might guard a city from invasion. Just as city planners might build defenses outside the city limitis, to protect the city proper, so do we believe in going a step beyond what G-d asks of us, just to be extra careful in not doing that which may be displeasing to Him.

We know that "G-d" is not His Name. Nonetheless, since we do captialize it, to refer to the One True G-d, I prefer to treat it with reverence, all the same.

S

Sunnie82

I just read your other post. Now I know why you spell it the way that you do. I think that it is very respectful of you.

L

lil-rush

Leo has a list? lol, I forgot about the list. Hmm. I think I have the list saved somewhere...

Wait, so Paul gives a reason for why God gave us the Torah?

S

Sunnie82

thanks!

p.s. you type really fast! LOL

Sep 25, 2009
Wait, so Paul gives a reason for why God gave us the Torah?
According to Christianity, Paul's reason is that G-d gave it to us to show us how much of a big, depraved failure we are.

Jan 8, 2009
We know that "G-d" is not His Name. Nonetheless, since we do captialize it, to refer to the One True G-d, I prefer to treat it with reverence, all the same.
I would have thought that deliberately mispelling God is more a sign of irreverence? Can you subsitute the - with anything? Is G@d or G^d acceptable too?

L

lil-rush

So I'll admit, I'm feeling lazy at the moment and don't feel like taking the five steps to go grab my Bible and crack it open(which is why I wanted to cheat off of Leo), thus I have no scriptures for you, but I have conjecture. I promise I'll provide scripture later.

God gave us the Torah so that we would be obligated to think about Him every day in every action we partake in(because when one follows the mitzvot, they pretty much end up having to think about God throughout the whole day).

God gave us Torah so that we might be set apart from the rest of the world.

God gave us Torah in order to display our love for Him, because it is through love that one keeps His commandments (at least one would hope it is through love, and not out of a sense of obligation).

uhm... hmm there is more, I'm sure. So yes, those are just my guesses atm

Sep 27, 2009
Can you subsitute the - with anything? Is G@d or G^d acceptable too?
Sure, or even Gd.. except that people might think you were trying to curse, maybe..

Well, it's like this. First off, it's personal conviction, not a cookie cutter obligatory type of thing, that I think everyone should be doing, or something like that. I wouldn't write down the Name of G-d, and burn it, or set it on fire, or in any other way "destroy" the Name of G-d. When a treasured Bible becomes worn down, I would simply throw it in the trash..

So this is how I and some others choose to carry that sort of reverence onto the internet. We have no control over someone else's website, whether the thread would be deleted, or anything like that. So in no way shall the Name of G-d being "destroyed" here, even if it IS only symbolic, and doesn't actually hurt anything, in no small way am I contrbuting to it.

So back to the topic at hand, come on guys... People have a lot to say about the "Curse of the law" and all this stuff in other threads.

Here's your perfect chance to bring it all together, and discuss what sort of reasoning does G-d give Himself, for why He gave us the Torah ?

D

Definition_Christ

Romans 8
1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus,who do not walk according to the flesh, but according to the Spirit.
2 For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death.
3 For what the law could not do in that it was weak through the flesh, God did by sending His own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, on account of sin: He condemned sin in the flesh,
4 that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us who do not walk according to the flesh but according to the Spirit.
5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit.
6 For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be.
8 So then, those who are in the flesh cannot please God.
9 But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, he is not His.
10 And if Christ is in you, the body is dead because of sin, but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
11 But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you.

12 Therefore, brethren, we are debtors—not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh.
13 For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live.
14 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God.
15 For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.”
16 The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God,
17 and if children, then heirs—heirs of God and joint heirs with Christ, if indeed we suffer with Him, that we may also be glorified together.

D

Definition_Christ

Pretty much as Christians we are to live by the Spirit and not by the flesh.

Galations 6:8 For he who sows to his flesh will of the flesh reap corruption, but he who sows to the Spirit will of the Spirit reap everlasting life.

We are to die *daily* to the flesh and deny ourselves. We are to live by the Spirit, by doing so we are doing God's will and we will not be disobeying God by living by His Spirit. However if we live by the flesh (notice how I say by the flesh and not IN the flesh). First of all you are referring to the Torah, that has 613 commandments right? Well I'm not going to lie (otherwise that would be a sin).. But I can't even name those 613 commandments so how can I keep them? I just know that by living by the Spirit, and being lead by the Spirit we will not displease God, we will be obeying Him.

So I guess your question is really, as Christians being under the New Covenant.. Is it okay to sin??

Romans 6
15 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? Certainly not!
16 Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to righteousness?
17 But God be thanked that though you were slaves of sin, yet you obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine to which you were delivered.
18 And having been set free from sin, you became slaves of righteousness.
19 I speak in human terms because of the weakness of your flesh. For just as you presented your members as slaves of uncleanness, and of lawlessness leading to more lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves of righteousness for holiness.
20 For when you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness.
21 What fruit did you have then in the things of which you are now ashamed? For the end of those things is death.
22 But now having been set free from sin, and having become slaves of God, you have your fruit to holiness, and the end, everlasting life.
23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Jan 31, 2009
well, I myself think that the reason God gave us the whole old testament was the same reason he told moses and the jewish nation to tell there sons and daughtes and their sons and daughter of the story of moses is that that all who are children of God can know where God has brought us through and from. But If you want the bibical reason the Bible says that.

Ga 3:17And this I say, that the covenant, that was confirmed before of God in Christ, the law, which was four hundred and thirty years after, cannot disannul, that it should make the promise of none effect.Ga 3:18For if the inheritance be of the law, it is no more of promise: but God gave it to Abraham by promise.Ga 3:19Wherefore then serveth the law? It was added because of transgressions, till the seed should come to whom the promise was made; and it was ordained by angels in the hand of a mediator.Ga 3:20Now a mediator is not a mediator of one, but God is one.Ga 3:21Is the law then against the promises of God? God forbid: for if there had been a law given which could have given life, verily righteousness should have been by the law.Ga 3:22But the scripture hath concluded all under sin, that the promise by faith of Jesus Christ might be given to them that believe.Ga 3:23But before faith came, we were kept under the law, shut up unto the faith which should afterwards be revealed.Ga 3:24Wherefore the law was our schoolmaster to bring us unto Christ, that we might be justified by faith.Ga 3:25But after that faith is come, we are no longer under a schoolmaster.Ga 3:26For ye are all the children of God by faith in Christ Jesus.Ga 3:27For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.Ga 3:28There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.Ga 3:29And if ye be Christ's, then are ye Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise.

L

Leilaii425

So im not sure i understand. You dont put the O in god because its irrevrant??

Apr 23, 2009
Why did G-d give us the Torah?
Well Jesus tells us that all the Law, and the Prophets spoke of Him, and Paul tells us that they were a shadow of things to come (which would be Christ). So God gave us the Torah to reveal to us the coming of His Son.

Status
Not open for further replies.