why did John the Baptist had to baptize Jesus?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

Talitha

(John 1:29-34) "¶ The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world. {30} This is he of whom I said, After me cometh a man which is preferred before me: for he was before me. {31} And I knew him not: but that he should be made manifest to Israel, therefore am I come baptizing with water. {32} And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him. {33} And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost. {34} And I saw, and bare record that this is the Son of God."

Why John the baptist had to baptise Jesus ? any thoughts?

Last edited:
D

Depleted

Part of the ritual for going into the holy of holies -- wash well.

T

Talitha

so he could have dipped in the water by himself, he was God in flesh why did he had to go through the baptism by John?

stonesoffire

Poetic Member
Nov 24, 2013
The scripture gives the answer Talitha. To fulfill righteousness. Born of water.

Johnny_B

Mar 18, 2017
(John 1:29-34) "¶ The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world. {30} This is he of whom I said, After me cometh a man which is preferred before me: for he was before me. {31} And I knew him not: but that he should be made manifest to Israel, therefore am I come baptizing with water. {32} And John bare record, saying, I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove, and it abode upon him. {33} And I knew him not: but he that sent me to baptize with water, the same said unto me, Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending, and remaining on him, the same is he which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost. {34} And I saw, and bare record that this is the Son of God."

Matthew 3:13-17 Then Jesus came from Galilee to the Jordan to John, to be baptized by him.14 John would have prevented him, saying, “I need to be baptized by you, and do you come to me?”15 But Jesus answered him, “Let it be so now, for thus it is fitting for us to fulfill all righteousness.” Then he consented.16 And when Jesus was baptized, immediately he went up from the water, and behold, the heavens were opened to him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove and coming to rest on him;17 and behold, a voice from heaven said, “This is my beloved Son, with whom I am well pleased.”
When recieving instruction on how to consecration of the preists in Exodus 29:7 You shall take the anointing oil and pour it on his head and anoint him.” We also see in Psalm 133:2 It is like the precious oil on the head,running down on the beard, on the beard of Aaron,running down on the collar of his robes!”

So the priesthood were anointed with oil and the Holy Spirit is symbolized by oil. The Holy Spirit anointed Jesus into the preisthood after the order of Melchizedek according to Hebrews 5:6 and Psalm 110:4 “You are a priest forever, after the order of Melchizedek.”

There were washing that the priests had to do as well for performing offerings, they would wash hands and feet as well as the offering, in the same water. They also had to make an anointing oil for the priests as well, to
consecrate themselves here it is in Exodus 30:17-30.

“Then the Lord spoke to Moses, saying:18 “You shall also make a laver of bronze, with its base also of bronze, for washing. You shall put it between the tabernacle of meeting and the altar. And you shall put water in it,19 for Aaron and his sons shall wash their hands and their feet in water from it.20 When they go into the tabernacle of meeting, or when they come near the altar to minister, to burn an offering made by fire to the Lord, they shall wash with water, lest they die.21 So they shall wash their hands and their feet, lest they die. And it shall be a statute forever to them—to him and his descendants throughout their generations.

22 Moreover the Lord spoke to Moses, saying:23 “Also take for yourself quality spices—five hundred shekels of liquid myrrh, half as much sweet-smelling cinnamon (two hundred and fifty shekels), two hundred and fifty shekels of sweet-smelling cane,24 five hundred shekels of cassia, according to the shekel of the sanctuary, and a hin of olive oil.25 And you shall make from these a holy anointing oil, an ointment compounded according to the art of the perfumer. It shall be a holy anointing oil.26 With it you shall anoint the tabernacle of meeting and the ark of the Testimony;27 the table and all its utensils, the lampstand and its utensils, and the altar of incense;28 the altar of burnt offering with all its utensils, and the laver and its base.29 You shall consecrate them, that they may be most holy; whatever touches them must be holy.30 And you shall anoint Aaron and his sons, and consecrate them, that they may minister to Me as priests.”

Since Jesus was going to offer His whole body and being a priest He washed His whole body and the Holy Spirit anointed His whole body, to fulfill rigtheousness.

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
Because water baptism by full immersion is fundamental to
discipleship.
Jesus underwent water baptism to fulfill all righteousness and
to show disciples and believers what they also must do.

Acts 2: 38 reinforces this commandment.

Nehemiah6

Jul 18, 2017
discipleship.

Exactly. This is the correct answer. And also to identify fully with sinners. He was made Sin for us who knew no sin...

Waggles

Sep 21, 2017
South
adelaiderevival.com
Exactly. This is the correct answer. And also to identify fully with sinners. He was made Sin for us who knew no sin...
Again reiterated in Romans 6 an entire chapter on baptism
death, burial, resurrection a symbolic expression of Jesus'
baptism by blood. But only need express this through immersion
in water.
Dead to sin, alive to righteousness.

But I have a baptism to be baptized with; and how am I straitened till
it be accomplished!
Luke 12:50

But Jesus answered and said, Ye know not what ye ask. Are ye able
to drink of the cup that I shall drink of, and to be baptized with the
baptism that I am baptized with? They say unto him, We are able.
Matthew 20:22

slave

Mar 20, 2015
The reason is because Jesus - who was the sinless Son of God - took upon Himself your sins and my sins, and the sins of the whole human race. Just as He didn’t have to die, so He didn’t have to be baptized - until He became the bearer of all our sins. This He did by coming to earth for us.

In other words, from the very beginning of His ministry Jesus demonstrated that He was the promised Messiah, and (in the words of John the Baptist) “the Lamb of God, who takes away the sin of the world!” (John 1:29). His baptism was a sign of this great truth - and it was confirmed immediately by a voice from heaven declaring, “This is my Son, whom I love; with him I am well pleased” (Matthew 3:17).

P

pckts

The same reason Jesus/God waited until 30 to begin his ministry. It was customary to wait until 30 at the time to begin ministry. He fulfilled everything he asked of us, to be even more perfect than sinless.

T

Talitha

Thanks very much everyone for sharing answers!

Johnny_B

Mar 18, 2017
discipleship.

Again reiterated in Romans 6 an entire chapter on baptism
death, burial, resurrection a symbolic expression of Jesus'
baptism by blood. But only need express this through immersion
in water.
Dead to sin, alive to righteousness.

But I have a baptism to be baptized with; and how am I straitened till
it be accomplished!
Luke 12:50

But Jesus answered and said, Ye know not what ye ask. Are ye able
to drink of the cup that I shall drink of, and to be baptized with the
baptism that I am baptized with? They say unto him, We are able.
Matthew 20:22

N6 I did not realize that you are a baptismal regeneration type, that is the weakest view of one Scripture. The idea that Peter was teaching that one need to be baptised to recieve the remission of sin is again not taking the full context of Scripture. In the very next chapter Peter says in Acts 3:19
Repent therefore, and turn back, that your sins may be blotted out,20 that times of refreshing may come from the presence of the Lord, and that he may send the Christ appointed for you, Jesus,”

No mention of baptism, as there is no mention of baptism in Acts 4:32 “Now the full number of those who believed were of one heart and soul, and no one said that any of the things that belonged to him was his own, but they had everything in common.”

Acts 5:14
And more than ever believers were added to the Lord, multitudes of both men and women,” Acts 6:7 “And the word of God continued to increase, and the number of the disciples multiplied greatly in Jerusalem, and a great many of the priests became obedient to the faith.” Acts 8:4-5 Now those who were scattered went about preaching the word.5 Philip went down to the city of Samaria and proclaimed to them the Christ.”

Notice no mention of baptism in any of the results of preaching or in the preaching to be baptised. Acts 9:18-22
And immediately something like scales fell from his eyes, and he regained his sight. Then he rose and was baptized;19 and taking food, he was strengthened. For some days he was with the disciples at Damascus.20 And immediately he proclaimed Jesus in the synagogues, saying, “He is the Son of God.”21 And all who heard him were amazed and said, “Is not this the man who made havoc in Jerusalem of those who called upon this name? And has he not come here for this purpose, to bring them bound before the chief priests?”22 But Saul increased all the more in strength, and confounded the Jews who lived in Damascus by proving that Jesus was the Christ.”

Wow the convertion of Saul soon to become apostle Paul and after being baptised he did not think that it was so important to salvation that he preached Christ with no mention of baptism, you would think if baptism is the focus of salvation that the soon to be apostle Paul would of brought up baptism, but he did no such think. And those that seen his convertion say that Saul is looking for those that call on this name, the name of Jesus, they did not say those that are baptized in His name. We are now into chapter 9 of the book of Acts with Peter not preaching baptism, Stephen not preaching baptism at his death. You would think that if a man is going to die and meet the Lord that he would preach the most important aspect of salvation, yet he did not even mention baptism. Then we have Philip who is moving in signs and wonders in demistration of the Holy Spirit who was sent to teach us all truth, yet no mention of baptism. Lets move on in the book of Acts.

More of Acts 9:27-28
But Barnabas took him and brought him to the apostles and declared to them how on the road he had seen the Lord, who spoke to him, and how at Damascus he had preached boldly in the name of Jesus.28 So he went in and out among them at Jerusalem, preaching boldly in the name of the Lord.” Wow again no mention of baptism in His name, only preaching in His name and we have seen that foirgiveness comes in His name.

Acts 10 the Lord shows Peter a vision and Peter response to that vision by going down to Cornelius a Gentile that worships the Lord, now you would think that if baptism is the most important part of salvation that Peter would of preached baptism since that is what the baptism regeneration people think he preached, here is the point of Peter's sermon, Acts 10"42-43.
And he commanded us to preach to the people and to testify that he is the one appointed by God to be judge of the living and the dead.43 To him all the prophets bear witness that everyone who believes in him receives forgiveness of sins through his name.”

Peter just preached to the Gentiles that forgiveness of sins is through the name of Jesus, no mention of being baptism in His name, but everyone that believes in Him receives forgiveness of sins in His name, believing in His name, not being baptized in His name.

Hey guys I would love to keep going, but it is getting late and I need to let you guys use the book of Acts to prove your point, because I will use the rest of it to prove mine. Then we will deal with Romans 6 and how it has nothing to do with water baptism and neither does I Peter 3:21. If you jump to Romans or I Peter you are admitting that Acts does not prove your point.

God Bless my brothers.

Jun 1, 2016

John the Baptist is actually an extremely important figure. there are prophecies about His ministry that would precede and prepare the way for the messiah. preaching repenatnce and remission of sins according to the first covenant. the prophets end with the promise of john the baptist, and Jesus to come immediately after Him. Baptism, according to the Bible is an act of obedience because of Faith, that God recognizes to include a person in the death of Christ, so thier sins can be remitted without thier death because death is the sentance of the first covenant.

God recognizes that we die and are raised again, because when you die, that means the laws punishment is fulfilled. Jesus death remits our sins, and baptism is our act of Faith according to our belief that Jesus died for our sins, and rose up the third day for our reconciliation and justification that we could not have acchieved because He rose up from death, we would not Have because we all have sinned. its actually a pretty straightforward doctrine.

Johns ministry was the end of the first covenant, and Jesus baptism was the beginning of the Gospel being preached the Long awaited Kingdom of God. Johns ministry is the proper division point petween the laws ministry, and the Gospel. its no coincidence then when we learn that baptism symbolizes our death in Goids sight to justify us through the payment of Jesus Christ.

SovereignGrace

Dec 28, 2016

Here's why Jesus had to be baptized.

“I saw the Spirit come down from heaven as a dove and remain on him. And I myself did not know him, but the one who sent me to baptize with water told me, ‘The man on whom you see the Spirit come down and remain is the one who will baptize with the Holy Spirit.’ I have seen and I testify that this is God’s Chosen One."[John 1:32-34]

The water baptism did not make Him any more God, any more righteous, any more holy than He already was. The baptism was a sign to John that the prophesied Messiah had come in the flesh.

Jan 25, 2018

Jesus needed to be baptised as the ceremony of anointing of His ministry by
the one who was sent to prepare the way.

Just as baptism seals the believer in the washing of their sins away through repentance
and faith in God, baptism of Jesus anointed Jesus with the Holy Spirit and Gods approval
to begin His public ministry.

Jun 1, 2016
Jesus needed to be baptised as the ceremony of anointing of His ministry by
the one who was sent to prepare the way.

Just as baptism seals the believer in the washing of their sins away through repentance
and faith in God, baptism of Jesus anointed Jesus with the Holy Spirit and Gods approval
to begin His public ministry.

amen and then Jesus Baptizes His disciples with the Holy Ghost. John 14:15-26, Matthew 28:18-20