Why did the Rich Man go to Hell? What Grave Sin did he commit?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jun 28, 2022
So let's discuss this Scripture. What sin did the Rich Man commit? Was being rich itself the sin? Was having no love or compassion for Lazarus the sin?

Let's study the issue further in this thread. Here's the entire passage in Scripture:

"The Rich Man and Lazarus
19 “There was a rich man who was dressed in purple and fine linen and lived in luxury every day. 20 At his gate was laid a beggar named Lazarus, covered with sores 21 and longing to eat what fell from the rich man’s table. Even the dogs came and licked his sores.
22 “The time came when the beggar died and the angels carried him to Abraham’s side. The rich man also died and was buried. 23 In Hades, where he was in torment, he looked up and saw Abraham far away, with Lazarus by his side. 24 So he called to him, ‘Father Abraham, have pity on me and send Lazarus to dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue, because I am in agony in this fire.’
25 “But Abraham replied, ‘Son, remember that in your lifetime you received your good things, while Lazarus received bad things, but now he is comforted here and you are in agony. 26 And besides all this, between us and you a great chasm has been set in place, so that those who want to go from here to you cannot, nor can anyone cross over from there to us.’"
Had the rich man had wealth of charitable heart dear Lazarus would not have been laying in the dirt starving and dying of thirst.

Jun 2, 2022
The rich mans sin was that he rejected the Messiah, the rich man represented Judah. In Luke 16:21 it says he has 5 brethren, Judah had 5 brothers (Genesis 35:23). Notice he is clothed in purple, Judah was the royal tribe and purple was the colour of royalty.

The poor man was the gentiles who Judah considered dogs (Matthew 15:22-28).

In verse 29 it says they have the law and the prophets, the scriptures which spoke of Christ and they rejected Him.
John 5:46 For had ye believed Moses, ye would have believed me; for he wrote of me. 47 But if ye believe not his writings, how shall ye believe my words?

In verse 31 it says, "If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead." this was a prophecy of what was to happen, Jesus was resurrected but still Judah did not believe.

The book of Malachi is a prophecy about the destruction of Jerusalem because of the wickedness of Jewish priesthood and their rejection of the Messiah. If you read that book alongside Luke 15 and 16, you will see that parables follow that book and Jesus is laying the charges against Judah.

"Lovers of money" (Luke 16:14; Malachi 3:8-10)
Justified themselves (Luke 16:15; Malachi 1:7; 2:14; 3:8, 13)
Improperly Divorced and remarried (Luke 16:18; Malachi 2:13-16)

The point Christ was making was as a whole Judah will be cut off for their rejection of the Messiah

Dirtman

Jul 19, 2022
The real point of the story is that Jesus is fore telling about his resurrection.