Why does giving birth to girl babies instead of boys make you more unclean?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Mar 21, 2011
Since these days, the Old testament Laws are more important than ever, why do you think giving birth to girls is more unclean than boys?

[h=3]Leviticus 12:1-5[/h]New International Version (NIV)

[h=3]Purification After Childbirth[/h]12 The Lord said to Moses, 2 “Say to the Israelites: ‘A woman who becomes pregnant and gives birth to a son will be ceremonially unclean for seven days, just as she is unclean during her monthly period. 3 On the eighth day the boy is to be circumcised. 4 Then the woman must wait thirty-three days to be purified from her bleeding. She must not touch anything sacred or go to the sanctuary until the days of her purification are over. 5 If she gives birth to a daughter, for two weeks the woman will be unclean, as during her period. Then she must wait sixty-six days to be purified from her bleeding.

K

Kerry

Cause you can take them boy's hunting and fishing while the chicks are cooking supper. Why is this thread here. There is neither Jew nor Gentile nor male nor female. Just a little read and not what pastor say's would squash this.

Feb 17, 2010
David for the same reason men can be defiled by women, but women CANNOT be defiled by men... Rev 14:14.
The Bible teaches how the structure of God works.... To not be defiled by a woman is the most HOLY STATE for a man, and the woman. Paul mentions... if two virgins marry, the man does good to take her virginity, but if he does not, he does better... 1 Cor 7.

There is a BIG difference between a woman and a vigin... BIG!

N

nathan3

If your really interested in learning about Leviticus, then go to this site and start reading from chapter one. Leviticus

N

nathan3

Leviticus chapters 21 and 22 are instructions that are given strictly for the priesthood. Those members of the priesthood and their families were discussed in detail from**Leviticus 8:1**to*Leviticus 10:20*. The Levitical priesthood was build around Aaron and his sons, of the tribe of Levi. These were the men that God instructed Moses to consecrate with the anointing Olive oil, make the sin offerings and place the garments of the priest upon. God set Aaron and his sons aside to be the spiritual leaders of the children of Israel, and come before Him with and intercede on behalf of the people. Then in"*"*Leviticus 8:36*"*"So Aaron and his sons did all things which the Lord commanded by the hand of Moses."" Read in more detail what Leviticus. Teaches. :::: Leviticus21

D

didymos

For christians the law is as important NOW as it was in the time of Jesus...

Way to stir up the forums.... again....

May 15, 2013
Since these days, the Old testament Laws are more important than ever, why do you think giving birth to girls is more unclean than boys?

Leviticus 12:1-5

New International Version (NIV)

Purification After Childbirth

12 The Lord said to Moses, 2 “Say to the Israelites: ‘A woman who becomes pregnant and gives birth to a son will be ceremonially unclean for seven days, just as she is unclean during her monthly period. 3 On the eighth day the boy is to be circumcised. 4 Then the woman must wait thirty-three days to be purified from her bleeding. She must not touch anything sacred or go to the sanctuary until the days of her purification are over. 5 If she gives birth to a daughter, for two weeks the woman will be unclean, as during her period. Then she must wait sixty-six days to be purified from her bleeding.
I'm assuming that when a woman given birth to a girl loses more estrogen when given birth to a boy. A woman is more fertile after given birth to a child and need to wait for her body to restore itself to be able to reproduce another. If she doesn't wait, there will be a chance that the baby will be low nutrients or a chance of birth defects. But if the woman doesn't wait for her estrogen level to rebuild itself in the body, will causes weight gain or make her vulnerable to diseases like heart diseases and or since estrogen help for woman to stay youthful and beautiful, and if she doesn't wait for to be fully restored, she will will be unattractive and loses her curves.

But the spiritual concept to this is, that a male represent the one that is stronger in spirit and a female represent the one that are weaker in spirit. And it take longer for the ones that are weaker in spirit to become fully restore.

R

reject-tech

Yes, it does.
And here's the explanation.

Once a baby is physically put into a mother's arms, that is once it all becomes real, that mother begins to worry for that child.
The future outlook of a female child is more worrisome than that of a male child, because the world goes after females harder than it goes after males. We assume that girl is going to get heartbroken more severely, at an earlier age, and be victimized in general, more than the boy.

It's that worry that is the "uncleanliness"
If we trust God, we don't have to worry. It takes more effort to put a girl child's future into the hands of God than a boy.
Will you trust God to protect your 13 year old daughter at the movie theater on Friday night? Or will you just "hope" in God and send her into the fray?
That's the difference in the purifying ritual being more intense for the female birth.

It has nothing to do with God having some kind of iniquity in creating or addressing women.

There are a lot of troublesome things in the OT laws that can be laid to rest this way.

M

Married_Richenbrachen

I think these days, the Old Testament ceremonial laws have been fulfilled in Jesus, so they aren't important as ever! At least, not important to obey. :) And while people can probably give their opinions on such ceremonial laws as why did giving birth to a girl baby mean a longer purification period, or why did only boy babies have to be circumcised, I believe the scriptures are silent on the reasons.

TheAristocat

Oct 4, 2011
I'm assuming that when a woman given birth to a girl loses more estrogen when given birth to a boy. A woman is more fertile after given birth to a child and need to wait for her body to restore itself to be able to reproduce another. If she doesn't wait, there will be a chance that the baby will be low nutrients or a chance of birth defects. But if the woman doesn't wait for her estrogen level to rebuild itself in the body, will causes weight gain or make her vulnerable to diseases like heart diseases and or since estrogen help for woman to stay youthful and beautiful, and if she doesn't wait for to be fully restored, she will will be unattractive and loses her curves.

But the spiritual concept to this is, that a male represent the one that is stronger in spirit and a female represent the one that are weaker in spirit. And it take longer for the ones that are weaker in spirit to become fully restore.
Well, so far this is one of the few posts in this thread that is actually on topic and is of any interest. Kudos. Whatever physical relevance it has, it probably has some spiritual ritualistic application. Hence the terminology clean and unclean. I believe a sin offering was to be made after the birth of a child, but how can child birth be a sin? The problem is, in my opinion, that this sin doesn't refer to the spiritual concept of sin. So I don't think this passage means boys are dirty and girls are filthy in the literal sense. I think there's something more to it. To look at it any other way is the sign of a smug mind, tolerant of ignorance and satisfied with the inexplicable.

jb

Feb 27, 2010
All I can say to the above is "what utter rubbish"! :p

Mar 21, 2011
I think these days, the Old Testament ceremonial laws have been fulfilled in Jesus, so they aren't important as ever! At least, not important to obey. :) And while people can probably give their opinions on such ceremonial laws as why did giving birth to a girl baby mean a longer purification period, or why did only boy babies have to be circumcised, I believe the scriptures are silent on the reasons.
Nope sorry. We can't pick and choose. There are many Christians who seek to make these rules at the forefront of their politics and identity as a Christian today in 2013. We can't just pick and choose. Personally I still don't have any explanation that I can understand about this verse.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
[h=1]

Romans
8[/h]
1 .) There is therefore now no condemnation to them which are in Christ Jesus, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
2 .) For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus hath made me free from the law of sin and death.
3 .) For what the law could not do, in that it was weak through the flesh, God sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh, and for sin, condemned sin in the flesh:
4 .) That the righteousness of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not after the flesh, but after the Spirit.
5 .) For they that are after the flesh do mind the things of the flesh; but they that are after the Spirit the things of the Spirit.
6 .) For to be carnally minded is death; but to be spiritually minded is life and peace.
7 .) Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.
8 .) So then they that are in the flesh cannot please God.
9 .) But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his.
10 .) And if Christ be in you, the body is dead because of sin; but the Spirit is life because of righteousness.
11 .) But if the Spirit of him that raised up Jesus from the dead dwell in you, he that raised up Christ from the dead shall also quicken your mortal bodies by his Spirit that dwelleth in you.
12 .) Therefore, brethren, we are debtors, not to the flesh, to live after the flesh.
13 .) For if ye live after the flesh, ye shall die: but if ye through the Spirit do mortify the deeds of the body, ye shall live.
14 .) For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God.
15 .) For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Abba, Father.
16 .) The Spirit itself beareth witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God:
17 .) And if children, then heirs; heirs of God, and joint-heirs with Christ; if so be that we suffer with him, that we may be also glorified together.

This may not appear to be related to the OP, but in my mind it is...........we are under GRACE! If only we could accept that, what a wonderful joy we would receive......

KohenMatt

Jun 28, 2013
Well, so far this is one of the few posts in this thread that is actually on topic and is of any interest. Kudos. Whatever physical relevance it has, it probably has some spiritual ritualistic application. Hence the terminology clean and unclean. I believe a sin offering was to be made after the birth of a child, but how can child birth be a sin? The problem is, in my opinion, that this sin doesn't refer to the spiritual concept of sin. So I don't think this passage means boys are dirty and girls are filthy in the literal sense. I think there's something more to it. To look at it any other way is the sign of a smug mind, tolerant of ignorance and satisfied with the inexplicable.
There is a difference between being unclean and having to give a sin offering.

Was Mary "sinning" when she gave birth to Jesus?

KohenMatt

Jun 28, 2013
Kinda of makes the Dad a little happier to have boys.:D

We had a baby girl back in June. We waited 80 days.

It wasn't fun.

KohenMatt

Jun 28, 2013
And remember, Jesus was circumcised on the 8th day.
Mary gave a sacrifice for purification.

That's a pretty good example of these things being relevant.

p_rehbein

Sep 4, 2013
And remember, Jesus was circumcised on the 8th day.
Mary gave a sacrifice for purification.

That's a pretty good example of these things being relevant.
I thought that Jesus became the "perfect sacrifice" ONCE for ALL TIME, for ALL OF US.........? (but, that may just be me....)

Jul 27, 2011
Genesis 1:27, So God created man in His own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.