Why does the devil have so much power?

• Thread starter sunshine_debbie
  • Start date
  • Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sunshine_debbie

I know that this is probably a silly question. But HOW did the devil (Lucifer) get so much power? I mean he is only an angel right? He should have no more power then Gabriel or Michael. So then why does he get to cause so much destruction and devestation here on earth? Also, why does God allow his behavior yet does not allow other angels to intercede for his saints? How did Lucifer get so much power in the first place. He is not equal in any way to God, so why is he so special that he gets special powers and can take people to hell and have power over demons and such?

Sorry if this is a religion 101 question, but I just can not figure it out.

Debbie

A

Artbox

Satan doesn't take people to Hell. Satan will suffer in Hell himself. Hell is created by God as a righteous judgement for sinners.

Personally, I think Satan has less power than people attribute to him. I consider most the destruction and devastation here on earth due to humans disgusting sinful ways. I also can't think of any Biblical verses supporting him actually having dominion over other demons. It seems like most the demons in the Bible, such as Legion or any of the others Jesus cast out, are operating on their own simply in rebellion of God.

Dec 21, 2009
I know that this is probably a silly question. But HOW did the devil (Lucifer) get so much power? I mean he is only an angel right? He should have no more power then Gabriel or Michael. So then why does he get to cause so much destruction and devestation here on earth? Also, why does God allow his behavior yet does not allow other angels to intercede for his saints? How did Lucifer get so much power in the first place. He is not equal in any way to God, so why is he so special that he gets special powers and can take people to hell and have power over demons and such?

Debbie

Satan/Lucifer
HAS NO POWER
YES, he is a fallen angel like the other 1/3 that believed him
YES, he was the leader of PRAISE and WORSHIP to GOD
BUT
In Heaven, his only power was that by which GOD gave him
NOW
On Earth, his only power is by which we give him thru FEAR
TO BE
a JOINT-HEIR or CHILD of GOD
is to live in VICTORY and walk in FAITH
THESE
are the opponents of FEAR

O

OreoSoleil

Okay a good book for you to read again -- Is Job -- it is amazing with a commentary.

God in a way sets Job --similar to the temptation of Jesus. God gives the devil the authority to bring on pain and hurt into Jobs life. God allows it -- the reason -- to show His glory.

We have a God of adversity --- He never came to bring peace to earth -- but peace to His chosen -- peace between us and God.

God gave satan the world --he is the god of the world --so that may answer your question as well --why God did it -- because he's soveriegn and will bring good from all things.

W

worldlover

My answer to that is Satan has power but not powerful. God has already beaten satan a long long time ago. God let evil roam on earth to see which among us are faithful and sincere to him and to give proper judgement to each and everyone of us and once he arrives, he will put all evil and sinners in the lake of fire and will encage them forever. Satan can only put fear to us but if we'll put our trust to God, darkness has no match.

D

Definition_Christ

Satan only has as much power as we give him.

W

wwjd_kilden

A reverend in my church once said:

Satan is standing there with his slingshot, flailing it at us, trying to beguile us and threatening us, but he has no stones for his weapon...

VW

Banned
Dec 22, 2009

Debbie
Jesus said an interesting thing to the people one day. He said, "You are of your father, the devil." He went on to describe the devil in very revealing terms. He called him a liar, and even called him the father of the lie. The devil's power is in lies, and our suceptibilty to them. Our flesh is corrupted by a sinful nature, and that sin nature is willing to believe almost any lie it hears. Like, "there is no God." Or, God does not care about you, you are not worthy of His notice." Or, "Jesus did not really did for your sin and then rise from the dead." And these are just the biggies. He lies to us in so many ways that our only hope of having the truth is in the Holy Spirit, the living God coming into us and becoming our new nature, which will see his lies for what they are. and teach us the truth. The devil has some power in the physical realm, but only what we and God allows him to have. As believers filled with the Spirit, we are endowed with power from on high, and we can command the devils. But, I know from experience that it is best to follow the leading of the Spirit in this, as in all things, because we we can cause harm without meaning to.

This current world system is fraught with lies from the devil. And the purpose of these lies from him are to hide the truth from those who are part of that system. (I call it a system, but it is really a kingdom.) Almost every facet of the media is part of this system. The government, the economic system is part of it. The market system, by which we purchase our needs, and by which we work to earn wages, is a part of it. The world is under the power of the princes of the air, who are in the employ of the devil, and their tools are deception. Its power to deceive is not to be underestimated. Many have swallowed whole "the lie."

In His peace,

N

NoahsMom

Satan only has as much power as we give him.AMEN!!!!!

G

Graybeard

Satan actually is over demons (fallen angels) as they where his "followers".
but there is in the Bible somewhere that when people eventually see Satan (in hell) they are going to say....is this the one that caused so mush mayhem with man?....such a puny being?? (something to that effect) because they will be surprised at the smallness of his stature and his puniness.
The only power he really has is our being gullible to his lies...which he is very good at.

S

songster

Debbie
The word says in II Corinthians 4:4, 'The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers'. Though this scripture calls satan the god of this age, it is accepted that he is not the god of the church, though we live in this world.

It is also known that satan can do no more than he is permitted to do. We know this because of Job's sufferings, which would not have occurred unless it had been permitted. This permission, however, should not be construed a decision which God made in order to trouble a righteous man, but rather, to allow Job to answer the accusations which had been brought against him, by successfully proving these accusations false, which he did.

This is the power that satan has in this world. If believers or unbelievers give this creature access to their minds, their lives, or their families, through sin, permission has been given, or in other words, he is authorized to try them. It is important to understand that this is not simply a random attack as some might think, but it is a trial, or the result of sin.

Sometimes what may appear to be satan's power reaking havoc on the earth, is actually man's willingness to allow himself to be used as instruments of wickedness. This is not power, this is man's voluntary submission to the powers of darkness.

A devil's only power over man is to tempt , but once a person submits to temptation, (believing or unbelieving), devils are given greater access to do more damage, sometimes even producing supernatural manifestations, but all of this is the result of sin.

In the garden, it was made clear that man is to rule over the earth and that satan is actually lower than the beasts, Genesis 3:14 'Cursed are you above all the livestock and all the wild animals'.

Man has been given authority, greater than that of satan, because our power is of God, through the Holy Spirit, as we speak in the name of Jesus.

Luke 10:19

I have given you authority to trample on snakes and scorpions and to overcome all the power of the enemy; nothing will harm you.

This satan, is a counterfeit who never lost his desire to be like the most high God, and his power is worthless without those who willingly assist him by creating other gods, vain philosophies and by rejecting Christ Jesus.

Last edited:
C

charisenexcelcis

While I agree that Satan's power is very limited and his most effective weapon the lie, remember that Jude teaches that even the remnant of power that Satan has ought to be treated with discretion:
"But Michael, the archangel when he disputed with the devil and argued about the body of Moses, did not dare pronounce against him a railing judgement, but said, "The Lord rebuke you."

M

machew

Debbie
Hey Debbie,

I addressed a lot of this in a previous thread I made:
http://www.christianchat.com/showthread.php?t=8958&highlight=Spiritual+Warfare+101

Hopefully this helps.

Blessings,

Machew

S

sunshine_debbie

Hey Debbie,

I addressed a lot of this in a previous thread I made:
http://www.christianchat.com/showthread.php?t=8958&highlight=Spiritual+Warfare+101

Hopefully this helps.

Blessings,

Machew
I actually did see your thread after I had already posted mine and it did help. I guess I just was wondering why God allows this fallen angel so much authority on earth. He even allowed him to tempt his only son. He allows him to tempt and defile and manipulate and lie. STILL, even after Jesus died for our sins. I understand about free will and everything. But for HOW LONG is this going to continue. And why so much allowed for what is essentially the same being/creature as those in heaven. Its not like Lucifer in terms of his construction was special or more special then any other angel right? So why the preferential treatment now?

Debbie

Jan 8, 2009
I used to wonder this too and also wonder why God doesn't just kill satan on the spot... the answer I think and it may be hard to comprehend, is that satan is God's servant, and God has given and allows satan as much power as satan needs to do God's will. Satan serves God in a number of ways, by accusing the brethren, and to chastise and test God's children so they grow in faith and learn to depend upon God... as some examples.. when you think about it, without satan there would be no saviour Jesus Christ.

H

Harley_Angel

Interesting way to look at it Mahogany. I guess Satan exists and is allowed to do what he does because it's God's will. We are only tempted when we allow ourselvs to be tempted. We only sin when we let ourselves sin. If we let Satan into our lives, we give him power, power he doesn't truly have on is own. God allows it because with fear, sin, and temptation in the world, it gives us a reason to turn to Him. Notice all sins usually leave us in a bad place in our lives, and it's not until we turn to God that we find comfort again. Through satan, we learn trust in the Lord.

pickles

Apr 20, 2009
I was told this story just a few hours ago and I think it may help you have a better understanding.
A man went into a barber shop to get his hair and beard trimed.
As the barber was working on him ,they got into a disscusion about God and the barber said there is no God.
The man who was a christian said why would you say that. The barber replied, have you walked the streets? All the pain and suffering that is?
I just cannot believe in a God that would allow that.
The man sat quietly for a moment. The barber finished his hair. So the man paid him an started to leave.
As he was walking out the door the man stopped, turned to the barber and said look out the door. The barber looked out the door at the homeless man on the street. The homeless man had long dirty hair and beard.
The christian man then said I do not believe in barbers, they do not exist.
The barber said how can you say that?
The christian man replied, I see a man with long hair and a beard, so there must be no barbers.

What I belive the message here is that as long as we do not go to God Our Father, we will only see what we believe is the power of evil or lack of faith in others.
Once we go to Our Lord God Or Father, then all that we see through Jesus shows truelly where the power, faith and truth is.
God bless, pickles

G

greatkraw

Actually he doesnt have THAT much

a lot of it is bluff

people GIVE him ground

M

machew

I actually did see your thread after I had already posted mine and it did help. I guess I just was wondering why God allows this fallen angel so much authority on earth. He even allowed him to tempt his only son. He allows him to tempt and defile and manipulate and lie. STILL, even after Jesus died for our sins. I understand about free will and everything. But for HOW LONG is this going to continue. And why so much allowed for what is essentially the same being/creature as those in heaven. Its not like Lucifer in terms of his construction was special or more special then any other angel right? So why the preferential treatment now?

Debbie

A lot of you may find the God in authority vs in control thing controversial, but I am posting it anyway. (for the record I don't like his illustration of the policeman) but Bill Johnson has an interesting take on this. If you listen past all of the healing testimonies, he starts addressing aspects of this issue around 3 minutes into the video.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56GOKTowu14[/video]

G

greatkraw

i agree with above

Status
Not open for further replies.