Why the cross? Why the manger?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
A

Ariel82

Why was Jesus born in a manger and died on the cross?

Why did we need a blood sacrifice to atone for our sins?

T

Tinuviel

The manger was so we could see that Jesus Christ was indeed a man like us. It was a humble place for even a poor man's child to be born, but for the Son of the King of kings! It was unheard of. It was to show us that we don't need great riches or worldly knowledge to come to Him.

The cross/blood sacrifice is because since Adam's sin, everyone has deserved death. God is a just God, He can't just sweep our sins under the rug. But because of his infinite mercy, He loved us. He wanted to save His people. Yet He is perfect, and He cannot go against His perfect nature, which includes perfect justice. So he sent Jesus Christ, the God-man, His perfect Son to die in our place. Because He loved us. That is so emotional and amazing to me!

H

HisHolly

Blood represents life

B

BeyondET

The manger because there was no room in the Inn.

it wasn't a cross it was a tee post with the added piece of board with the notice nailed to the back of the tee post thus became the depliction of the event in the form of a cross.

because sin can be of human carnal thought or human flesh action or both...

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
The inn I see as representing our hearts in the natural man who rejects the Spiritual
things of God. Jesus came as a servant, willing to be born as the lowest of the low,
to suffer and die a wretched painful cruel undeserved death, that we might have a life
more abundant by being born again of the Holy Spirit of God, for until that rebirth
happens, we are in the flesh and enemies of God. Faith in Jesus' propitiatory sacrifice
reconciles us to God, and allows us to pass from death in Adam to life ever after in
Jesus Christ, Who holds the keys of life and death, for all things were created by
Him and for Him, for His glory. Rejecting Him and His righteous blood shed on our
behalf, is as good as rejecting life. To see ourselves as sinners in the sight of God,
unworthy of that which He offers but by the love of Christ, is to acknowledge Truth.
The life of the flesh is in the blood, but the flesh counts for nothing.

B

BeyondET

The inn I see as representing our hearts in the natural man who rejects the Spiritual
things of God. Jesus came as a servant, willing to be born as the lowest of the low,
to suffer and die a wretched painful cruel undeserved death, that we might have a life
more abundant by being born again of the Holy Spirit of God, for until that rebirth
happens, we are in the flesh and enemies of God. Faith in Jesus' propitiatory sacrifice
reconciles us to God, and allows us to pass from death in Adam to life ever after in
Jesus Christ, Who holds the keys of life and death, for all things were created by
Him and for Him, for His glory. Rejecting Him and His righteous blood shed on our
behalf, is as good as rejecting life. To see ourselves as sinners in the sight of God,
unworthy of that which He offers but by the love of Christ, is to acknowledge Truth.
The life of the flesh is in the blood, but the flesh counts for nothing.
Are you saying the natural man has a heart full of rejection of spiritual things..

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Are you saying the natural man has a heart full of rejection of spiritual things..
The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit. 1 Cor 2:14

B

BeyondET

The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit. 1 Cor 2:14
O I see it's like huh...

B

BeyondET

The manger a feeding trough basically , so if one was to look at that in a spiritual way then certainly is a good message to that..

Jesus was not laid in a manger by accident. It is a major spiritual symbol. Animals go to the manger for physical food, but with Jesus lying on the hay, we can go to the manger for spiritual food. Jesus has an infinite storehouse of nourishment available, and we can approach him any time and never go hungry. Jesus feeds us with Word and Sacrament, his gospel and the Eucharist. Jesus wants us to devour his word (Jer 15:16; Ez 3:1; Rev 10:9-10), chew on it, slowly ruminate on its meaning, swallow and digest it, and make it part of the fabric of our being. Jesus’ Word is like no other food, it has the power to save our souls (Jas 1:21). Not only that, the infant in the feeding trough is the Bread of Life (Jn 6:35), the true bread come down from heaven, and whoever eats this bread will live forever (Jn 6:51). If a person wants to be spiritually well-fed, it is important to read Scripture and receive the Eucharist often.

G00WZ

May 16, 2014

Humble beginnings, He took on the punishment for sin so trash like me could rise up to be called a son.
sheep and lamb offerings weren't good enough..We used to be slaves to sin, But we were paid for through his blood.. actually it was more like a trade, because if He never came for us, that would be us on the cross with no salvation.. just a life of pain.

lastofall

Aug 26, 2014
"..without shedding of blood is no remission." (Hebrews 9:22) which is to say that without sacrifice for sins is no passing over of sins.

B

BeyondET

Humble beginnings, He took on the punishment for sin so trash like me could rise up to be called a son.
sheep and lamb offerings weren't good enough..We used to be slaves to sin, But we were paid for through his blood.. actually it was more like a trade, because if He never came for us, that would be us on the cross with no salvation.. just a life of pain.
Quite the amazing things can come from trash, like this eagle made from discarded plastic utensils..

Mar 7, 2016
No chance of salvation ? if Jesus hadnt of shown us the light GODS GREAT PLAN from the beginning i think not tHE ONLY REASONABLE explanation is god never created evil only something else did

Mar 7, 2016
so let me get this staight what where peple from the old t doing in heaven if there was no chance of salvation and what was the idea of 2000 years of the ten commandments for ?? if god didnt want you to be saved befor jesus

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
so let me get this staight what where peple from the old t doing in heaven if there was no chance of salvation and what was the idea of 2000 years of the ten commandments for ?? if god didnt want you to be saved befor jesus
Faith was counted as righteousness. How many were righteous in the time of Noah, or Lot?

Dec 19, 2009

I think the manger symbolizes humility.

Back in those days, the government mandated that those sentenced to death be nailed to a cross and left to die, i think, a rather cruel way to execute people.

It was necessary for a person who had never sinned to be sacrificed, in order to ransom us from Satan's power, I believe. Otherwise, Satan could torment us forever for any sin we had committed.

Mar 7, 2016
Faith was counted as righteousness. How many were righteous in the time of Noah, or Lot?
THE TEN COMMANDMENT CAME AFTER NOAH why where they not in place at the days of noah ??????????????????????

G00WZ

May 16, 2014
The people of old testament had the law, also God thought of people differently because they still were of a sinful nature. You can't compare OT God to the new one because his view of us has changed.. Salvation does not mean just going to heaven when you die, it also has to do with being right with God and being righteous. When Jesus died on the cross believers were upgraded into sons and daughters of God, new creations in Christ.

B

BeyondET

I think the manger symbolizes humility.

Back in those days, the government mandated that those sentenced to death be nailed to a cross and left to die, i think, a rather cruel way to execute people.

It was necessary for a person who had never sinned to be sacrificed, in order to ransom us from Satan's power, I believe. Otherwise, Satan could torment us forever for any sin we had committed.
Yes crucification was one of common methods to bring death upon someone. They were cruel in many ways...
The Roman methods of inflicting death were various, in the time of Nero the punishment for treason was, to be stripped stark naked, and with the head held up by a fork to be whipped to death. The most common punishment were as follows:

Beheading (percussio securi)
Strangling in prison (strangulatio)
Throwing a criminal from that part of the prison called Robur (precipitatio de robore)
Throwing a criminal from the Tarpeian rock (dejectio e rupe Tarpeia)
Crucifixion (in crucem actio)
Burying a person alive
Throwing a criminal into the river (projectio in profluentem).

Mar 7, 2016
because God liked the song away in an manger the manger being the chariot