Why the law question is so important.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

gotime

Mar 3, 2011
Some wonder why there is always so much talk of the law particularly the 10 commandments.

Might I suggest that the reason is simple.

It is a matter of salvation and no I don't mean how you are saved.

I mean what you are saved from. If you don't know what your problem is then you will not understand the solution or remedy.

We all know it is faith in Jesus that saves but saves from what?

Some seem to think what he came to save us from is the law.

well if that is so then why did he just not give it in the first place? That worked for Abraham and Joseph and Noah etc.

If the law is what we needed saving from the God himself created the problem.

If the law is what Jesus saves from then why did people die before it came?

If one asks these questions it becomes obvious that the law is not what Jesus came to save us from.

In fact most know that the law is just writing that shows what is good and shows us that we are sinners when we see we are breaking it.

So what Jesus came to save us from is sin, I am sure no one will argue with that. However the problem is here. The law shows sin. Sin is breaking or not doing the law.

So doing away with the law does nothing if sin still remains. Forgiveness for sin means nothing if sin still remains. For example, if you kill it is still sin even if the law is taken away. Killing does not become OK because the law is gone.

So sin must go and if sin is gone then one by default will be left keeping the law. you can't not sin and not keep the law at the same time. In other words you can't be transformed so that you don't kill and then kill at the same time. Killing shows you are not transformed you are not yet saved form sin.

The law shows sin so read it and ask yourself does it show you your sin? If yes then you need saving by Jesus. If no then the law has just witnessed to you that Christ has saved you from your sinful nature.

Ps I am not speaking of perfection here.

Last edited:

Zen

Sep 11, 2015
So what Jesus came to save us from is sin, I am sure no one will argue with that. However the problem is here. The law shows sin. Sin is breaking or not doing the law.
I don't speak for everyone but I think maybe 1 mega thread on the law, and 1 mega thread on the sabbath would be beneficial, it's easier than posting in 4 different threads. :rolleyes:

As for arguing against that, I think He saves us from death, which sin causes. Both sin and death still occur, but we have hope in what?

Matthew 19:16
And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

John 3:15
That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.

gotime

Mar 3, 2011
I don't speak for everyone but I think maybe 1 mega thread on the law, and 1 mega thread on the sabbath would be beneficial, it's easier than posting in 4 different threads. :rolleyes:

As for arguing against that, I think He saves us from death, which sin causes. Both sin and death still occur, but we have hope in what?

Matthew 19:16
And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?

John 3:15
That whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have eternal life.
different posts are focused on different things. this one while still talking about the law has its focus on how it relates to what we are saved from. Also threads very seldom stay on topic. So sometimes a new thread clears things up a little for a while. But I hear what you are saying and respect your opinion.

As for what you said about arguing against what I said you have not really gone against what I said. Death is not the problem it is the result of the problem it is "a problem" but not "the" problem.

thus it is inevitable that if God saves us from the problem/Sin then we are also saved from the result of that problem/death. None the less the problem is sin the result of being saved from the problem is eternal life. Don't confuse the problem with the results.

However you are right in that Jesus does save us from death.

graceNpeace

Aug 12, 2016
I am sorry - this is just a back-door effort to maintain observance of the law but it is based on several misunderstandings:

For anyone who was never a Jew the law of Moses was never binding in the first place. However, whatever system of jurisprudence one is under will condemn one.
This is what Rom 2:12 is explaining:

12 For as many as have sinned without law will also perish without law, and as many as have sinned in the law will be judged by the law Rom 2:12

Furthermore righteousness in Christ is obtained apart from the law:

21 But now the righteousness of God apart from the law is revealed, being witnessed by the Law and the Prophets, 22 even the righteousness of God, through faith in Jesus Christ, to all and on all[h] who believe. Rom 3:21-22

Now if Paul can also say this about the law before one is saved:

23 But before faith came, we were kept under guard by the law, kept for the faith which would afterward be revealed. 24 Therefore the law was our tutor to bring us to Christ, that we might be justified by faith Gal 3:22-24

But then go on to say this about the law once we are saved:

But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor. Gal 3:25

The "
tutor" is the law and it is no longer required - simple as that.
gotime has this idea that once we are saved we need the law to tell us when we have sinned!
Paul flatly contradicts you, unequivocally contradicts you!

The reasoning of gotime is NOT scriptural that as Christians once we stop sinning then we by default are left with the law and are then obliged to keep it.
This is COMPLETELY anti-Scriptural!

The fact that the law is no longer binding does not mean that the Christian is left without a moral compass - by no means!
What does Paul say about this:

I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh.17 For the flesh lusts against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; and these are contrary to one another, so that you do not do the things that you wish. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the law. Gal 5:16-18

We are to be led by the Spirit not seduced or coerced into following a law of death and condemnation!
What does it mean to be led by the Spirit, Paul again provides the answer, just a few verses later:

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, long-suffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness,23 gentleness, self-control. Gal 5:22-23

This is the result of being Spirit-led!
And what does Paul say next:

But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control. Against such there is no law. Gal 5:22-23

"
Against such there is no law. "
This is the moral code to which we have been called - to manifest the fruit of the Spirit!
And there is NO LAW against such things!

I will conclude with Paul's exasperated outburst to the Galatians who had seduced believers back into observance of the law:

[SUP]1[/SUP]O foolish Galatians! Who has bewitched you that you should not obey the truth,[a]before whose eyes Jesus Christ was clearly portrayed among you[b] as crucified? 2 This only I want to learn from you: Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith? 3 Are you so foolish? Having begun in the Spirit, are you now being made perfect by the flesh? Gal 3:1-3

Paul makes it ABSOLUTELY clear: "
Having begun in the Spirit, are you now being made perfect by the flesh?" Gal 3:3
and,
"
Did you receive the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?" Gal 3:2

As far as I am concerned the answer is clear!
The law IS NO LONGER BINDING in any form!

The OP is trying backdoor tactics to seduce people back under the law.
Paul makes it clear what he thinks of such people:

12 I could wish that those who trouble you would even cut themselves off! Gal 5:12 NKJV

Other translations use the word emasculate!
Paul makes no attempt to hide his anger and distaste for those who would try to and bring believers back under the law.
And it is still absolutely apropro now!

It matters little what the emphasis is, whether that be circumcision, as representing law-keeping in Apostolic times, to Sabbath-keeping or any other form of observance now - Mosaic law is NOT binding!

Last edited:
W

WingsOfFidelity

Some wonder why there is always so much talk of the law particularly the 10 commandments.

I mean what you are saved from. If you don't know what your problem is then you will not understand the solution or remedy.

well if that is so then why did he just not give it in the first place? That worked for Abraham and Joseph and Noah etc.

If one asks these questions it becomes obvious that the law is not what Jesus came to save us from.

In fact most know that the law is just writing that shows what is good and shows us that we are sinners when we see we are breaking it.

So doing away with the law does nothing if sin still remains. Forgiveness for sin means nothing if sin still remains. For example, if you kill it is still sin even if the law is taken away. Killing does not become OK because the law is gone.

So sin must go and if sin is gone then one by default will be left keeping the law. you can't not sin and not keep the law at the same time. In other words you can't be transformed so that you don't kill and then kill at the same time. Killing shows you are not transformed you are not yet saved form sin.

The law shows sin so read it and ask yourself does it show you your sin? If yes then you need saving by Jesus. If no then the law has just witnessed to you that Christ has saved you from your sinful nature.

Rom 2:12-15/KJV
12 For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law;
13 (For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.
14 For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
15 Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another

W

WingsOfFidelity

Wow. Grace, your post didn't show up for me before I posted my response.

Nov 22, 2015
The law written on my heart is not the 10 commandments. It's the law of the spirit of life in Christ Jesus. The law of love. Love fulfills the intent of the law.

The Law Written on Our Hearts is not the Ten Commandments

“This is the covenant I will make with them after that time,” says the Lord. “I will put my laws in their hearts, and I will write them on their minds.” (Heb 10:16)

“This is obviously a reference to the law of Moses,” says the law-preacher. “The Ten Commandments were written in stone, now they’re written in the hearts and minds of God’s people.”

Not true. Here are seventeen reasons why God has not written the Ten Commandments on your heart:

1. The law inflames sin (Rom 5:20) and the strength of sin is the law (1 Cor 15:56). Why would God want to stir up sin in your life?

2. The law condemns (2 Cor 3:9), yet there is no condemnation to those in Christ.

3. The law ministers death (2 Cor 3:7), but God wants you to enjoy abundant life.

4. Law and grace don’t mix. You are under grace, not law (Rom 6:14).

5. Living by the law will alienate you from Christ (Gal 5:4).

6. Living by the law is cheating on Jesus (Rom 7). Why would God do anything to encourage spiritual adultery?

7. We’re to live by faith but the law is not of faith (Gal 3:12).
The law encourages us to depend on ourselves instead of Jesus.

8. Those who live under the law are under a curse (Gal 3:10). Why would God curse those he has blessed?

9. The law binds and enslaves (Rom 7:6), but Jesus wants you free.

10. The law keeps you immature for it makes nothing perfect or complete (Heb 7:19).

11. We have died to the law so that we may serve in the new way of the Spirit and “not in the old way of the written code” (Rom 7:6).

12. When there has been a change of priesthood, the law must be changed also (Heb 7:12). For God to write the old law on our hearts would be like saying Aaron is greater than Jesus.

13. God found fault with the law-keeping covenant and made it obsolete (Heb 8:7,13). Why would God insult his Son’s sacrifice by giving you the very thing his sacrifice rendered obsolete?

14. The law is a shadow of the good things to come and not the reality (Heb 10:1). Why would God give you the shadow instead of “the good thing”?

15. The Jews considered the law to be ordained by angels (Heb 2:2). If so, says the author of Hebrews, then it is inferior to the gospel of Jesus (Heb 1:4). Why would God give you an inferior gift?

16. Some Christians think that God gives them the law as a guide to live by, but why would God want you to repeat the mistake of the Galatians (Gal 3:2)? Why would God do anything to make you fall from grace?

17. The old law-keeping covenant required an accounting or remembering of sin, but the new covenant is characterized by God forgiving and forgetting on account of Jesus (Heb 10:17). If the law that God writes in our hearts is the law of Moses, then Jesus died for nothing.

If God has written the Ten Commandments on your heart and mind, you should be able to list all ten with no trouble. Can you? What’s the seventh commandment? You can’t do it because it’s not there, and a very good thing that is too! If the law that God writes in our hearts is the law of Moses, you’re in big trouble.

The good news is that God has written in us a far better law. What is this new and better law? We’ll find out in
the next post!

Here is the website for this article. It has a comment section at the bottom where people can ask questions.

https://escapetoreality.org/2015/04/...-commandments/

May 11, 2014
Our Lord Jesus Christ came to save us from sin and redeem us from the bondage of the law, that being the animal sacrifices for example, He didn't come do away with the Royal Law.

beta

Aug 8, 2016
I am sorry-..................
The law IS NO LONGER BINDING in any form- Mosaic law is NOT binding!
Indeed not ! but you are speaking of the Mosaic law and we speak of the spiritual/eternal Commandments of God.
What you are not doing is 'to put difference between holy and unholy...eternal and temporary....carnal and spiritual....you put them all together and abolish them....can't be right !

Nov 22, 2015
For some reason some see the word "law" and only think of Moses and the Old Covenant. But the word "law" means "principle" or "rule".

What is the Law Written on Our Hearts if it isn't the 10 Commandments?

Six-hundred years before Jesus came, the prophet Jeremiah spoke of a new covenant that God would make with his people:

“This is the covenant I will make with the people of Israel after that time,” declares the Lord. “I will put my law in their minds and write it on their hearts. I will be their God, and they will be my people. No longer will they teach their neighbor, or say to one another, ‘Know the Lord,’ because they will all know me, from the least of them to the greatest.” (Jer 31:33-34)

What is the law that God writes on our hearts and minds? Here are three things it is not:

• It is not the law of Moses. As we saw in the last post, if God wrote the Ten Commandments on our hearts then Jesus died for nothing.

• It is not a new and improved version of the law. It is not the new commands of Jesus or the New Testament. We cannot please God by keeping a new law any more than we could please him by keeping an old one.

• It is not the knowledge of right and wrong that was bestowed upon us – against the Lord’s wishes – by Adam.

So what is this law that the Lord writes on our hearts and minds and embeds in our very being?

It is Himself.

Let’s look at three things the New Testament says about the new law in our hearts.

1. The law of love

A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another. (John 13:34)

Under the old law covenant, love was demanded from you. “Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength.”

But under the new covenant of grace, love is given to you – “As I have loved you” – and out of the overflow of Christ’s measureless love we are able to love others.

How does it happen?

God’s love has been poured out into our hearts through the Holy Spirit, who has been given to us. (Rom 5:5)

God abundantly pours his love into our hearts by giving us the Holy Spirit, a.k.a. the Spirit of Christ. Do you see the difference between the old and new?

• Under the old, the law was a rule for weak men to obey. Under the new, the Law is the Spirit of Christ given to us, loving us, and loving others through us.

• Under the old, you loved others because you feared punishment. But under the new, you love because a Lover lives in you and it is his nature to love.

• Under the old, you had to make an effort to obey. But under the new you have to make an effort to disobey. It’s a whole new way of life.

2. The law of the Spirit of life

It’s important that you understand the difference between the old law (a written code you can’t keep) and the new Law (Christ himself, living in you). Try and live by the old laws, as Paul did, and it make you miserable:

What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body that is subject to death? (Rom 7:24)

Paul couldn’t keep the old law no matter how hard he tried. He needed a new law and that new law is a Who:

Who will rescue me…? Thanks be to God, who delivers me through Jesus Christ our Lord. (Rom 7:24-25a)

Do you see? The old law is a what; the new law is a Who. The old law ministers condemnation and death (2 Cor 3:7-9), but the new “law of the Spirit gives life” (Rom 8:2).

For the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life. (2 Cor 3:6)

Who gives life? Not a set of rules, but the Spirit of Christ within you. The new law is a Who.

3. The perfect law of liberty

James wrote of “the perfect law that gives freedom” (Jas 1:25), which can be contrasted with the law of Moses that binds (Rom 7:6). What is the perfect law that gives freedom? Well, what is the implanted word that can save you (Jas 1:21)? It’s not the Ten Commandments or the Bible. It’s Jesus, the living Word who sets us free.

The perfect law of liberty describes what Jesus has done (perfectly fulfilled or completed the law) and the fruit he will bear in our lives (liberty) if we trust him.

But whoever looks intently into the perfect law that gives freedom, and continues in it – not forgetting what they have heard, but doing it – they will be blessed in what they do. (Jas 1:25)

Look into the mirror of Moses’ law and you will be miserable, for it exposes all your faults. But look into the perfect law which is Jesus and you will be blessed, for it reveals His righteousness.

“Don’t just listen but do what it (the perfect law of liberty) says” (Jas 1:22). In other words, allow the Spirit of Christ to convince you that in him you are righteous and holy. Don’t walk away from the perfect law and forget who you are in Christ. Fix your eyes on Jesus. Look intently with an unveiled face and be transformed into his likeness.

The Law written in our hearts is Jesus

Jeremiah said those who had the new law written on their hearts would know the Lord and would no longer need others to teach them. This is describing your union with Christ. One with the Lord you have the mind of Christ (1 Cor 2:16). His Spirit dwells in you and teaches you all things (John 14:26).

The law of the Lord written into your members is your Father’s spiritual DNA. It is the seed of God birthed in you by the Holy Spirit. It’s Jesus himself.

How do you know He’s there? Because you are a new creation with new hopes and desires. You no longer want to sin. Your desire is to love God and others and that desire has nothing to do with old rules written in stone.

Christian, you are who you are because Christ lives in you. He is the new law written, by God, in your heart and mind.

Here is the website for this article if anyone is interested. It has a comment section at the bottom where people can ask questions. I find I learn a lot in the question area.

https://escapetoreality.org/2015/04/...on-our-hearts/

graceNpeace

Aug 12, 2016
Indeed not ! but you are speaking of the Mosaic law and we speak of the spiritual/eternal Commandments of God.
What you are not doing is 'to put difference between holy and unholy...eternal and temporary....carnal and spiritual....you put them all together and abolish them....can't be right !
I would say that the problem is that you cannot distinguish!

E

eternally-gratefull

So much wrong here I do not even know where to start.

1, If we read romans 1, We see that God not only holds all men accountable, but men knew sin is sin, And they loved their sin, so he gave them over to their passions, and let them make Gods of things of the world. This happened long before the law was given.
2. We are not saved from the law. We are saved fro the penalty of not being able to fulfill the law. God gave mmoses the commands, then he made everyone promise that they would confirm those words, (every one) and promise to obey every one, If they failed even one time, they would be under a curse, the curse? Death.
3. No one lived up to that standard, the bible says all have sinned and fall short of Gods glory so the law condemns everyone. which is why it is so amazing so many people want ot put us back under law. All the law can do is condemn, Why would you want to return to the very thing which condemned you in the first place.
4. Paul tells us the law had a purpose, To shut everyone mouth, To condemn them, To prove their failure, and their need for what the law pictured (the sacrificial lamb) and to lead them to Christ.
5. Paul said the law could never make us righteous people. It was not given for that purpose, not was it able to do so
6. Paul said Christ took that debt away from us, and nailed it to the cross, Where it can no longer condemn us (in Christ) again
7. Paul finally said, Once we have come to christ, the law has done its job IN OUR LIFE, and is no longer useful for us.

why? It can never make us righteous moral people. it was never given for that reason.

Now to the ten commands, I have heard people call the ten commands Gods law for dummies (using the book series popular a few years back) and I think it has merit, Think about it, God gave many commands in scripture. There are so manhy ways which we can sin, the ten does not even come close to telling us all ways in which we can sin, So why call it Gods law for dummies?

Out of all the hundreds of laws God has given from Genesis to revelation, God says, here, here are ten I will write on stone, And you will not even be able to keep these. If this does not show you how utterly sinful you are, there may be just no hope for you.

E

eternally-gratefull

Please, read the op. He is speaking of mosaic law. He mentions the ten commands.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
Romans 9:30-32
[FONT=&quot]30 What shall we say then? That the Gentiles, which followed not after righteousness, have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness which is of faith.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]31 But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]32 Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone;

1 Corinthians 15:56-57
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]56 The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]57 But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Some people insist on working at the law. Everything, apparently, points to what they think they should work at. They don't have faith.

Galatians 3:11-12
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]12 And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.

Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Interestingly, nowhere in Hebrews 6 does it say "by faith they worked at the law". Do you know why? Because the law is not of faith.... Pretty simple.[/FONT]

E

eternally-gratefull

Romans 9:30-32
30 What shall we say then? That the Gentiles, which followed not after righteousness, have attained to righteousness, even the righteousness which is of faith.
31 But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness.
32 Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law. For they stumbled at that stumblingstone;

1 Corinthians 15:56-57

56 The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law.
57 But thanks be to God, which giveth us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Some people insist on working at the law. Everything, apparently, points to what they think they should work at. They don't have faith.

Galatians 3:11-12

11 But that no man is justified by the law in the sight of God, it is evident: for, The just shall live by faith.
12 And the law is not of faith: but, The man that doeth them shall live in them.

Hebrews 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Interestingly, nowhere in Hebrews 6 does it say "by faith they worked at the law". Do you know why? Because the law is not of faith.... Pretty simple.
Love the last sentence, So true, Thanks Grandpa!

beta

Aug 8, 2016
Please, read the op. He is speaking of mosaic law. He mentions the ten commands.
And the 10 Commandments were not spoken by GOD personally ? Ex 20; Deut 5; to the people assembled....all of them with Moses 'among them'. Does not read as if coming through Moses only and are therefore NOT Moses law, only to those who REFUSE to hear GOD anymore. Go on...read it for yourself in the scriptures I quoted !

Zmouth

Nov 21, 2012
But the word "law" means "principle" or "rule".
Before I begin I just wanted to state my response is not directed at or towards the member who posted the above referenced comment but directly at the validity of the words that were posted.

I don't even have to taste those words to hear that they are 100% absolute gibberish. A principle is not man made rule, much less precept of nature. A principle is that everlasting light that proceedeth out of the mouth the LORD.

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, and cometh down from the Father of lights, with whom is no variableness, neither shadow of turning. James 1:17

You might even say that each principle is liken to that treasure you store in heaven, and those without think they are getting it for free. Mark 4:25

Last edited:

Dan_473

Mar 11, 2014

Totally, the Law question is super-
important.

The people of God keep,
or better yet,
fulfill
the Law.

In the NT, it's done this way
For the whole law is fulfilled in one word, in this: “You shall love your neighbor as yourself.”

Feb 28, 2016
because obeying His Laws, will keep us 'out of the world's JAIL' -
and Jesus' Spiritual jail...