Will Christ set up His literal Kingdom on earth in the future?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Aug 7, 2016
I've been taught about a lot of all of it sister Stunned, I'll never come to accept a literal reign of the Lord Jesus Christ for 1000 years. I believe He is already reigning and He will reign forever in the hearts of believers that have faith in Him.

I'll believe what Jesus Christ said, and not whatever one else has to say about it, His Kingdom is established already you just can't observe it, because it resides (kingdom of God) in the hearts of believers that have faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.

If Jesus Christ did come and reign on this earth literally, would that change the life expectancy of everyone too? Would you last the 1000 years, until it was all over? Then what Happens?

1000 years that is like a day and a day is like 1000 years, I understand it as Jesus Christ reigns forever now and not in the future, and I believe that Jesus Christ has had all enemy underneath His feet, that would mean Death/Satan/Sin/Satans Demons.

Not trying to argue or anything just looking logically, I'm suppose to listen to what Jesus Christ has stated, not on what people believe on their hearts that will happen, which is totally okay.

You're allowed to believe how you're going to that is Freedom in the Lord Jesus Christ.

A

Ariel82

I agree with this! And it also says that during this 1000 years there will still be disputes, (which Jesus will mediate instead of war mediating) and more importantly, it says there will still be death. That can't be the new heaven and earth if there is still death.
The question is the 1000 years figurative or literal? Is God's kingdom ON EARTH or IN HEAVEN during those thousand years?

Where and WHEN is the 1000 years referred to in Revelation 20?

A

Ariel82

Yes, I know your eschatology as Amellennialism and while I teach that it is in error, I have very few who feel the way you do, that are willing to open themselves to the authority of GOD, the BIBLE as it was written. No, I will not try here.

I have said many times that as I await His arrival for His Bride as I live yet if He does not come before I die, I will die with unrelenting faith in His gospel.

If it be His WILL that I am to live through turmoil that is more horrific that anything known on earth from the beginning until today, then my prayers will be for Him to give me the strength to die as well as the multitude of Saints have before me.

The Bible does tell us that whosoever teaches /preaches a different Gospel than what Jesus has taught will be Accursed. There is no way out of this Prophecy.....One of us, My Friend will not like the outcome...?????

Truthfully if you are right, then Jesus will come and rapture me out because i trust in HIM more than my understanding of end times. I know who I am in Christ and He has called me His child. His Holy Spirit leads me every day. Upon waking I pray for guidance and upon sleeping I give thanks for His many blessings. I may not be perfect but each day He leads me into a closer walk with Him and reveals how I could have handled any situation with more love, grace and wisdom.

you are right we will not be able to come to any sort of agreement. Since neither you or Deade believe the passage I asked EG about is about JESUS just before He died upon the cross.

Our beliefs are too different and it would be too hard to find a common ground, nor are you willing to try to actually understand what I believe but seek only to convert me to your beliefs and imply that if I don't agree I believe and teach a different gospel and thus condemned?

Unless i am reading too much into your words, than i will apologize. We have not spoken much so I don't know your beliefs on the matter of salvation and what is needed and what the gospel actually is to you.

However, i will state that I hold my beliefs after much research into all positions because when I first encountered the contraversy here on CC, I had no clue which I believed was Biblical truth.

I came to Amillenialiam because of various reasons:

1. HISTORY: it is the historical position of the main line church since recorded history.

the new estacological veiws are fairly new and i believe a part of the delusion mentioned in Revelation to make people sleep and become prideful or unprepared to suffer and endure for His name sake. However I do recognize that you say you are willing to endure if needed and pray for God for strength, which is good. I ask HOW WOULD YOU LIVE DIFFERENTLY IF YOU BELIEVED THAT REVELATION WAS HAPPENING NOW AND THE WAR IS PRESENT TENSE AND NOT FUTURE OR PAST?

2. REASON: Prophecy is often written in figurative language and has a lot of SYMBOLISM.

i don't know what you mean by allegory. i have heard people use it to say things like "the book of Esther is allegorical. that means it is like a parable or aesop fables. they didn't actually happen but was told as a story to teach a lesson." I disagree with statements like that. I believe that the stories are TRUE stories not Fables but they do teach a deeper spiritual lesson. Thus I referi to such things as symbolism NOT allegory.

for example i believe that 40 days that Jesus spent between Resurrection and ascension into heaven was LITERAL even though it is also SYMBOLIC because 40 means "the time appointed by God to be fulfilled" I believe this because ten days later at Pentacost or the Feast of Weeks, the Holy Spirit filled the disciples waiting in the UPPER Room.

I give this example because I discussed it last week at my church and the guy believed in allegory and I believed in a literal 40 days but also acknowledged the symbolic nature of the number 40.

3. Personal Experience: Amil stance makes sense or the IMMEDIATE nature of Jesus words and fits in with the destruction of the Temple as Jesus predicts. It shows what HAS BEEN FULFILLED by Jesus upon the cross and WHAT IS YET TO COME. It does not put all prophecies into the future but acknowledges what was accomplished by Jesus and the 1st century saints in the war against Satan. It states that SATAN has been tossed out of Heaven but still roams the earth now. How that is possible is a total different topic that will take months to actually discuss fully because we would have to talk about what having ACCESS to heaven means and HOW JESUS GAVE US ACCESS TO HEAVEN even while we are still living in these temporal tents.

4. Biblical support of how God has fulfilled His prophecies in the past with the taking away of Israel by Babylon and Persia

Anyway. Hope you have a blessed day and that God touches your heart on the subject, because I doubt my words will change your stance.

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
I'll believe what Jesus Christ said, and not whatever one else has to say about it, His Kingdom is established already you just can't observe it, because it resides (kingdom of God) in the hearts of believers that have faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Hello MattG,

If you truly believe what Jesus says, then do you believe the scripture below:

"
This is the revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show His servants what must soon come to pass. He made it known by sending His angel to His servant John, 2who testifies to everything he saw. This is the word of God and the testimony of Jesus Christ.

As you can see from the very first line in Revelation, the book of Revelation is the revelation of Jesus Christ i.e. the events that are to come to pass. Now, since Jesus sent his angel to reveal the information written in Revelation, then everything written in this book is from Christ. That said, Jesus also said the following:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"
Then I saw an angel coming down from heaven with the key to the Abyss, holding in his hand a great chain. 2He seized the dragon, the ancient serpent who is the devil and Satan, and bound him for a thousand years. 3And he threw him into the Abyss, shut it, and sealed it over him, so that he could not deceive the nations until the thousand years were complete. After that, he must be released for a brief period of time.

4Then I saw the thrones, and those seated on them had been given authority to judge. And I saw the souls of those who had been beheaded for their testimony of Jesus and for the word of God, and those who had not worshiped the beast or its image, and had not received its mark on their foreheads or hands. And they came to life and reigned with Christ for a thousand years.

5The rest of the dead did not come back to life until the thousand years were complete. This is the first resurrection. 6Blessed and holy are those who share in the first resurrection! The second death has no power over them, but they will be priests of God and of Christ, and will reign with Him for a thousand years.Satan Cast into the Lake of Fire.

When the thousand years are complete, Satan will be released from his prison, 8and will go out to deceive the nations in the four corners of the earth, Gog and Magog, to assemble them for battle. Their number is like the sand of the seashore.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"a thousand years" is mentioned six times from Revelation 20:1 thru 7. There is nothing in the context that would suggest anything but a literal thousand years. Remember, the angel who is revealing this information was sent by Christ, so it is valid. For the most part, a the scripture states that the thousand years is the amount of time that Satan will be bound in the Abyss and it is the same amount of time that the church and the great tribulation saints will rule with him during that thousand years and on this present earth. This is what Jesus is saying and therefore, if you believe in what Jesus says, then you must believe this. If you don't, then you are ignoring the plain meaning of scripture.

If Jesus Christ did come and reign on this earth literally, would that change the life expectancy of everyone too? Would you last the 1000 years, until it was all over? Then what Happens?

The answer is "Yes!" During the thousand year kingdom, we have scripture that infers that longevity of life will be like it was before the flood. Regarding this, consider the following:

"
Never again will there be in it an infant who lives but a few days, or an old man who does not live out his years; the one who dies at a hundred will be thought a mere child; the one who fails to reach a hundred will be considered accursed." - Isaiah 65:20

1000 years that is like a day and a day is like 1000 years, I understand it as Jesus Christ reigns forever now and not in the future, and I believe that Jesus Christ has had all enemy underneath His feet, that would mean Death/Satan/Sin/Satans Demons.

I wish that Peter would have never said this, because people began to use it as a plumb line for trying to figure out prophecy, when that is not what it was meant for. Peter was just using it to show that God is not affect by time as humans are. This is one of the reasons why so many fail at setting dates, because they used what Peter said as a formula and it isn't.

If your going to listen to Jesus, he is the One who gave his angel the information in Revelation 20:1 thru 7.

E

eternally-gratefull

one question EG, cuz i know you love me and will answer honestly:

is this passage past, present or future:

Zech 13

7“Awake, O sword, against my shepherd,
against the man who stands next to me,”
declares the LORD of hosts.
“Strike the shepherd, and the sheep will be scattered;
I will turn my hand against the little ones.
8In the whole land, declares the LORD,
two thirds shall be cut off and perish,
and one third shall be left alive.
9And I will put this third into the fire,
and refine them as one refines silver,
and test them as gold is tested.
They will call upon my name,
and I will answer them.
I will say, ‘They are my people’;
and they will say, ‘The LORD is my God.’”
Hey sis, I will try, and yes I do

I see prophesy as God making points, these events will happen in this succession, first A. Then B then C. it is like telling a story. But the whole story (all events) are not given, just important ones. You can think of it as looking at different mountain peaks which are lined up straight and you are looking at them in line, each point or event is symbolized by each peak. When you look at it this way,. It seems they all happen immediatly in sequence. With no sense of how long it will take for each event to occur or when they will occur. Turn the picture side ways and you see that in between each event there are valleys, there could be long valleys or short ones, depending. These valleys are time periods in between each event that you can not see in the prophesy because the information is not given, another way to look at it is that each event is a train station, and your just seeing the stops. But are not told what happens between each stop so you have no ideas to determine how far the events are from each other.

So Zech 13.

1. We have the Sheppard (chrst) being stricken - That is the cross
2. We have the sheep scattered - some say that was the disciples scattering when he was arrested. I believe it was Isreal being scattered in 70 AD. Where for the first time the FULL cycle of discipline for rejection as given in Lev 26 was enforced (before. It was just partial)
3. We have 2/3 being cut off. 1/3 shall life. This could either be the remnant (God promised there will always be a remnant) it could be the number killed in 70- AD. It could be the nu,her of them killed in some future war. There are a lot of views as I remember (I think it was 70 AD. Where many were killed and the rest were scattered.
4. We have the refinement., This refinement will cause them to call on the name of the Lord. Scripture shows this as the time of Jacobd’s trouble, the day of the lord, the tribulation period. The time of the end (age of the gentile) I believe this is the 7 year period as spoken of by Daniel or 1 week covenant which is split into 2 parts. The final 3 12 years spoken of by Jesus as the time of great tribulation. All OT prophesies concerning this period show that this time will cause great outcry in Isreal. At the end, they will repent, and call out on the name of the lord. Because their destruction is imminent,
5. Israel calls out, and God answers them - This is the return of jesus

Zech 14 is the day of the Lord. Given in more detail

E

eternally-gratefull

The question is the 1000 years figurative or literal? Is God's kingdom ON EARTH or IN HEAVEN during those thousand years?

Where and WHEN is the 1000 years referred to in Revelation 20?

The return of Jesus, And setting up his kingdom, where satan is bound and can not deceive the nations, And he will rule with a rod of Iron,

at the end, Satan will be loved one more time, one more war will occur (not really a war Christ squashes the rebellion before it even starts) then we go into eternity future, where this heaven and earth is destroyed and a new one made.

Aug 7, 2016

Hello MattG,
If you truly believe what Jesus says, then do you believe the scripture below:
"
This is the revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave Him to show His servants what must soon come to pass.

Brother in Christ Jesus friend Ahwatukee

I'm not a futurist, you see this scripture that says what must soon come to pass. It's soon to come to pass for them, you can make 1000 years literal and I make it not so literal, I can make Satan bound for ever saying 1000 years is like a day and a day is like a 1000 years, symbolizing forever.

Jesus Christ, has Satan defeated and underneath his feet, like the scripture does sayeth.

Psalm 90:4 A thousand years in your sight are like a day that has just gone by, or like a watch in the night.
2 Peter 3: 8
And this one thing let not be unobserved by you, beloved, that one day with the Lord is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day;

Is there anything you have to say about these few scriptures here?

Stunnedbygrace

Nov 12, 2015
I've been taught about a lot of all of it sister Stunned, I'll never come to accept a literal reign of the Lord Jesus Christ for 1000 years. I believe He is already reigning and He will reign forever in the hearts of believers that have faith in Him.

Not trying to argue or anything just looking logically, I'm suppose to listen to what Jesus Christ has stated, not on what people believe on their hearts that will happen, which is totally okay.

You're allowed to believe how you're going to that is Freedom in the Lord Jesus Christ.
Yes, He is reigning in our hearts and lives! :)
There was time when He wasn't though.
But now He has our allegiance.

And yes, His kingdom is not visible. But one day it will be and THEN EVERY knee will bow.

As to your 3rd paragraph, it WILL change the life expectancy! It says: no more will men die young but they will outlast the work of their hands (I always think of how our houses currently outlast us and think...we will have to build a new house because WE will outlast IT!) and if a man dies younger than 100, it will be considered that he died a youth! Have you read those verses? I can find them for you if not. :)

Its also strange to think of how men used to live closer to a thousand years than to 100 years, as we read in Genesis. That will come again according to those verses!

So it isnt just what men believe in their hearts. They have believed it BECAUSE of the verses! :)

Aug 7, 2016
Yes, He is reigning in our hearts and lives! :)
There was time when He wasn't though.
But now He has our allegiance.

And yes, His kingdom is not visible. But one day it will be and THEN EVERY knee will bow.

As to your 3rd paragraph, it WILL change the life expectancy! It says: no more will men die young but they will outlast the work of their hands (I always think of how our houses currently outlast us and think...we will have to build a new house because WE will outlast IT!) and if a man dies younger than 100, it will be considered that he died a youth! Have you read those verses? I can find them for you if not. :)

Its also strange to think of how men used to live closer to a thousand years than to 100 years, as we read in Genesis. That will come again according to those verses!

So it isnt just what men believe in their hearts. They have believed it BECAUSE of the verses! :)

Fair enough Sister StunnedbyGrace, and I was worried my post was bad, Thanks for your response dear sister in Christ Jesus.

Stunnedbygrace

Nov 12, 2015
Fair enough Sister StunnedbyGrace, and I was worried my post was bad, Thanks for your response dear sister in Christ Jesus.
No, your post wasn't bad. You shared what you thought and how you felt. :) I think its largely based on the influences of men rather than you struggling with the scriptures yourself with Gods help, but He gets us all where He wants us and takes us on the path to it however He will. :)

7seasrekeyed

I really don't think that you can pull verses to prove a point a view

I will always say that knowledge of the entire Bible is what it takes to provide yourself with a proper understanding and even then people disagree for various reasons

however I think the Bible is pretty specific that a literal kingdom will occur but the earth and the elements will burn after the fact

Nov 23, 2016

So Zech 13.

2. We have the sheep scattered - some say that was the disciples scattering when he was arrested.
I believe it was Israel being scattered in 70 AD. Where for the first time the FULL cycle of discipline for rejection as given in Lev 26 was enforced (before. It was just partial)
[TABLE="align: center"]
[TR]
[TD]
Matthew 26:31
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

[TABLE="align: center"]
[TR]
[TD]
Then Jesus told them, "This very night you will all fall away on account of me, for it is written: "'I will strike the shepherd, and the sheep of the flock will be scattered.'
[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

Ahwatukee

Mar 12, 2015
I'm not a futurist, you see this scripture that says what must soon come to pass.

It's referring to imminencey MattG. The OT prophets used the same exact words that are written in Revelation, "is near, is coming, soon to take place." And they were talking about the same time period, the time of God's wrath, the day of the Lord. For someone who says they believer what Jesus says, you don't do that at all. You read God's word and then overlay it with the teachings of preterism and then call it the word of God.

I can make Satan bound for ever saying 1000 years is like a day and a day is like a 1000 years, symbolizing forever
Once again, you are misusing what Peter said to interpret a literal amount of time. I told you already and if you go and read the scripture, it was not Peter's intention for anyone to make a thousand years as equaling a day. Satan will be bound for a literal thousand years, as in, 999 years + 1.

You spiritualize everything away. But soon you are going to find out the truth of the matter, that is, unless you see the events mentioned in scripture and even then continue to ignore them for the sake of your belief. Here is a sign for you so that you will know that everything that you believed was wrong. I'm telling you ahead of time so that you will know that it is the truth when it happens.

* The Lord is going to gather the church

* The antichrist is going to be revealed, making it possible for Israel to build her temple

* 3 1/2 years after the antichrist makes his agreement, he will set up that abomination in the temple

The above are just a couple of the end-time events that will take place. Therefore when you see them happening, you will know that end-time events have not already taken place as you believe. But I'm afraid that you are so brainwashed from preterism, that you will probably stand in line to get your very own mark/device in/on the hand or forehead. And I'm sure that you will come up with some excuse as to why you will receive it, doing exactly what scripture warns us not to do.

Psalm 90:4 A thousand years in your sight are like a day that has just gone by, or like a watch in the night.
2 Peter 3: 8
And this one thing let not be unobserved by you, beloved, that one day with the Lord is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day;
It is the context that should be considered first. And the thousand years in revelation is self descriptive. You don't need to go and apply the meaning of a thousand years from any other scripture. If you would just put your preterism aside and read the scripture at face value, then you would understand what it says. It's unfortunate that Preterism got ahold of you before you got grounded in the word of God.

Is there anything you have to say about these few scriptures here?
What good would it do to say anything about those scriptures? The problem with you and all preterist's, is that you can't comprehend scripture. you override it with the teachings of preterism, instead of just reading the scripture.

I've always wondered what God would need to have written in order to get a preterist to interpret his word in the literal sense. He mention "a thousand years" six times in the context, but the preterist ignores that and applies a symbolic meaning from another scripture, instead of what the context says here in Revelation. You apply another meaning when none is required.

Last edited:

Locutus

Feb 10, 2017
I have to chuckle when people make up there own definition of words to fit bogus "theology" such as "
imminencey".

imminent:

adjective:

about to happen. "they were in imminent danger of being swept away"

synonyms:

impending, close (at hand), near, (fast) approaching, coming, forthcoming, on the way, in the offing, in the pipeline, on the horizon, in the air, just around the corner, coming down the pike, expected, anticipated, brewing, looming, threatening, menacing; "a ceasefire was imminent"

According to our expert imminent means about to happen in 1970 years and counting....

Stunnedbygrace

Nov 12, 2015
I have to chuckle when people make up there own definition of words to fit bogus "theology" such as "
imminencey".

imminent:

adjective:

about to happen. "they were in imminent danger of being swept away"

synonyms:

impending, close (at hand), near, (fast) approaching, coming, forthcoming, on the way, in the offing, in the pipeline, on the horizon, in the air, just around the corner, coming down the pike, expected, anticipated, brewing, looming, threatening, menacing; "a ceasefire was imminent"

According to our expert imminent means about to happen in 1970 years and counting....

Well...when you consider the concept of eternity, 1970 years IS soon! :)

Mar 28, 2016
"a thousand years" is mentioned six times from Revelation 20:1 thru 7. There is nothing in the context that would suggest anything but a literal thousand years. Remember, the angel who is revealing this information was sent by Christ, so it is valid. For the most part, a the scripture states that the thousand years is the amount of time that Satan will be bound in the Abyss and it is the same amount of time that the church and the great tribulation saints will rule with him during that thousand years and on this present earth. This is what Jesus is saying and therefore, if you believe in what Jesus says, then you must believe this. If you don't, then you are ignoring the plain meaning of scripture.

The plain meaning or, the signified meaning (spiritual) which one?

Rev 1:1 The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified it by his angel unto his servant John:

You offer nothing in the context of that parable that not only God revealed but also signified? What does nothing represent in respect to the things not seen, the eternal things of faith, as the things of God not seen?

The word thousand is used to represent a unrevealed mystery to whatever is in view . There are many references that show how the word thousand is used in parables to given the hidden Manna signified in Revelation 2:17,

The spiritual interpretation is hid from natural man but revealed to those who look to His grace...

What does the key signify in that parable found in chapter 20. I would think the gospel ?

I would suggest the thousand in that same context is what it signified to be an unknown ... heading towards the last day, the day of the Lord .Judgment day for the non believer.The second and final resurrection for the new creatures (Christians)

Locutus

Feb 10, 2017
Well...when you consider the concept of eternity, 1970 years IS soon! :)
What you've just done is taken John's literal time statement and made it totally meaningless - this is why most people are confused.

Mar 28, 2016
One offered .....Psalm 90:4 A thousand years in your sight are like a day that has just gone by, or like a watch in the night.
2 Peter 3: 8 And this one thing let not be unobserved by you, beloved, that one day with the Lord is as a thousand years, and a thousand years as one day;

Another relied....... It is the context that should be considered first. And the thousand years in revelation is self descriptive. You don't need to go and apply the meaning of a thousand years from any other scripture. If you would just put your preterism aside and read the scripture at face value, then you would understand what it says. It's unfortunate that Preterism got ahold of you before you got grounded in the word of God.

A remnant of the word thousand signified.,I offer below.. Something a friend shared with me a few years ago. I have a longer version if interested?

A THOUSAND and TEN THOUSAND

The terms one thousand and ten thousand are employed many times in Scripture, in varying figurative senses, to describe large numbers or vast periods of time. The expressions are also commonly used to symbolically describe great pictures of immeasurable vastness.

The first time the actual term ‘‘a thousand’’ is used in a figurative sense in Scripture is found in Deuteronomy 1:10-11where Moses is seen speaking to the children of Israel, saying, ““The Lord your God hath multiplied you, and, behold, ye are this day as the stars of heaven for multitude. (The Lord God of your fathers make you A THOUSAND times so many more as ye are, and bless you, as he hath promised you!).””

Moses, here, under the inspiration of the Holy Spirit employs the term ‘‘a thousand’’ to reveal the immense prosperity he desires for the people of God. This expression again does not in any way denote an exact ‘‘thousand’’ but rather explains in a figurative sense the deep sense of spiritual increase he wishes to see bestowed on his kindred from the providential hand of the God of his fathers. This passage is not intending to limit God's blessing to an expansion of only one thousand times. Rather it is a figurative way of saying that God is the source of ALL increase and ALL blessing.

The Psalmist says, whilst exalting the Word of God in Psalm 119:72, ““The law of thy mouth is better unto me than THOUSANDS of gold and silver.”” Here he is simply highlighting the unfathomable riches of God’s eternal truth, in stark contrast to the temporal satisfaction of worldly possessions and worldly gain. That’s why Christ asked in Mark 8:36-37, ““For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul? Or what shall a man give in exchange for his soul?””

Isaiah 7:22-24 says, ““And it shall come to pass, for the abundance of milk that they shall give he shall eat butter: for butter and honey shall every one eat that is left in the land. And it shall come to pass in that day, that every place shall be, where there were A THOUSAND vines at A THOUSAND silverlings (or, for the price of a thousand bits of silver), it shall even be for briers and thorns.””

The term ““a thousand”” is here used as a symbol (rather than an exact amount) to impress a scriptural truth, indicating the grave consequence of disobedience –– briers and thorns would replace the many fruitful vines.

Moses again employs ‘‘a thousand’’ in Deuteronomy 7:9 saying, ““Know therefore that the LORD thy God, he is God, the faithful God, which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love him and keep his commandments to A THOUSAND generations.”” This reading expressly reveals that God is a covenant keeping God. Moses is specifically testifying to the unfailing faithfulness of God and to the continuous bountiful mercies He bestows upon His people. Psalm 119:90 says, ““Thy faithfulness is unto all generations.”” He is here, in some way, articulating the reality of His perpetual blessings and the enormity of His love towards His elect. The term ““a thousand”” is here used as an indeterminate number, evidently indicating all generations.

Psalm 89:4 says, ““Thy seed will I establish for ever, and build up thy throne to all generations.””

A thousand generations is therefore simply used here as a figure or symbol to represent all generations, it unquestionably cannot be limited to, or specifically relate to, a fixed number. This is highlighted when we discover the small amount of generations that have hitherto passed in this world.

Genesis 5:1-32 tells us that (1) Adam begat (2) Seth begat (3) Enos begat (4) Cainan begat (5) Mahalaleel begat (6) Jared begat (7) Enoch begat (8) Methuselah begat (9) Lamech begat (10) Noah begat (11) Shem. There is therefore eleven generations from Adam to Shem.

Genesis 11:1-32 says, (1) Shem begat (2) Arphaxad begat (3) Salah begat (4) Eber begat (5) Peleg begat (6) Reu begat (7) Serug begat (8) Nahor begat (9) Terah begat (10) Abram. There is therefore ten generations from Seth to Abraham.

Matthew 1:17 completes the remainder of the equation from Abraham to Christ, stating, ““So all the generations from Abraham to David are fourteen generations; and from David until the carrying away into Babylon are fourteen generations; and from the carrying away into Babylon unto Christ are fourteen generations.

Therefore:

Adam to Shem = 11 generations.
Shem to Abraham = 10 generations.
Abraham to David = 14 generations.
David to ““the carrying away into Babylon”” = 14 generations.
““The carrying away into Babylon”” unto Christ = 14 generations.

11 + 10 + 14 + 14 + 14 = 63 generations.

This is just a rough generational list, however, Luke accurately traces the exact direct generational lineage from Adam to Christ in Luke 3:23-38, and arrives at 76 generations. Moreover, just over 2,000 years have now elapsed from Christ to our present day; therefore, allowing approximately for a 40-year generation (2000 divided by 40), we have only reached an additional 50 generations today. We have consequently only approximately exhausted 126 generations roughly 874 short of the precise 1000 generations mark, which the literalists would have us believe.

Last edited:

Stunnedbygrace

Nov 12, 2015
I rather look at it more like...there is a literal meaning AND there is a deeper spiritual meaning. And there are literal things and signs (moon turned to blood for instance) that show something going on in the heavenlies. Don't know if that made sense...;)

Stunnedbygrace

Nov 12, 2015
What you've just done is taken John's literal time statement and made it totally meaningless - this is why most people are confused.
Its not meaningless if you consider verses as fitting together rather than one at a time.