Women submitting to their husbands

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CarrierOfChrist

• Wives, be subject to your husbands as you are to the Lord. For the husband is the head of the wife just as Christ is the head of the church, the body of which he is the Savior. (Ephesians 5: 22-23)

• Children, obey your parents in the Lord, for this is right. Honor your father and mother — this is the first commandment with a promise: so that it may be well with you and you may live long on the earth. And, fathers, do not provoke your children to anger, but bring them up in the discipline and instruction of the Lord. (Ephesians 6: 1-4)
Overwhelmingly rejected were two other amendments that called upon husbands and wives to submit to each other and that would have included widows, widowers, and single persons as expressions of “family.” Evidently, some men didn’t like the idea of making any sort of gesture of submission to their wives.
And what about widows and widowers — is one kicked out of the family the moment one’s spouse dies? Is marriage so privileged a state that all pre-marital and post-marital people can be excluded from the definition of “family”? That’s absurd.
Whoa whoa whoa, stop the tape... "Overwhelmingly rejected" -- are you talking about from the Bible?

C

CarrierOfChrist

i think were forgetting that lots of guys in the bible had more than one wife. the bible was written in the bronze age or thereabouts, so you kinda have to take what it says with a grain of salt.
Deureronomy 25:11 "If two Israelite men are fighting and the wife of one tries to rescue her husband by grabbing the testicles of the other man, her hand must be cut off without pity."

so to be a good little christian, im going to carry around a nice sharp meat cleaver, in order to carry out the will of god as it is written, right?
1. That's Israelite men. You're not an Israelite, are you?

2. That was Old Testament "Mosaic" Law. As Christians, we're not under that.

3. Taking what the Bible says with a grain of salt?

Aug 25, 2009
1.There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. Galations 3:28

2. 'You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination. Leviticus 18:22 this is also old testament, but is often quoted by christians as applying to everyone. if christians are not under these laws, why are they in the christian bible.

3.“For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day shall be your holy day, a Sabbath of rest to the LORD. Whoever does any work on it must be put to death. Ex. 35:2 kill ppl who work on sunday? u cant take that literally, thats what i mean by take it with a grain of salt.

C

CarrierOfChrist

1.There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. Galations 3:28

2. 'You shall not lie with a male as one lies with a female; it is an abomination. Leviticus 18:22 this is also old testament, but is often quoted by christians as applying to everyone. if christians are not under these laws, why are they in the christian bible.

3.For six days, work is to be done, but the seventh day shall be your holy day, a Sabbath of rest to the LORD. Whoever does any work on it must be put to death. Ex. 35:2 kill ppl who work on sunday? u cant take that literally, thats what i mean by take it with a grain of salt.
1. He was speaking of the way God looks at you, that one person has just as much right to Him as the next person. Do you think that he meant slaves should leave their masters even if they still owed them? Do you think he meant our reproductive organs were going to miraculously go missing? Do you think he meant that, suddenly, your heritage was going to change and you were no longer going to be a Jew or a Greek?

2. Galatians 3:24 - So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ that we might be justified by faith. 25 Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law.

This means no more animal sacrifices, no more lobbing off women's hands for grabbing a man's testicles when defending her husband, etc.

1 Corinthians 6:9 - Do you not know that the wicked will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor male prostitutes nor homosexual offenders.

This verse, being given in the New Testament AFTER the Mosaic Law (or Covenant) was repealed, applies to Christians.

The reason the Old Testament is included in the Christian Bible is for progression purposes. If you were to take the first half out of any book, how would you understand what was going on in the second half? How would we know that Jesus' coming was foretold before He was born to Mary? How would we know what true devotion was without the stories of Abraham and his descendants? The Old Testament was included because it tells the past of our relationship with God.

3. Again, in the days when the Mosaic Covenant was the law, this was followed. Now that we have a new covenant, a new law from Jesus, we're not under that law anymore.

Aug 25, 2009
1. no i do not belief those things. do you believe a dead man could miraculously be brought back to life? do you believe a mans ear could miraculously be reattached to his head? do you believe a man could walk on the surface of water? that is why i said take these things with a grain of salt.
2. by your logic, Galatians abolishes the 10 commandments. and if the coming of jesus nullifies the old testament laws, how could you still seriously consider its stories and/or "prophecies" relevant?
3. apparently your an antinomianist. ironic that in the judeo-christian faith, you deny the jewish part and consider it something like a prologue while it is still considered gods holy law by many devout jews, gods chosen people.

C

CarrierOfChrist

1. no i do not belief those things. do you believe a dead man could miraculously be brought back to life? do you believe a mans ear could miraculously be reattached to his head? do you believe a man could walk on the surface of water? that is why i said take these things with a grain of salt.
2. by your logic, Galatians abolishes the 10 commandments. and if the coming of jesus nullifies the old testament laws, how could you still seriously consider its stories and/or "prophecies" relevant?
3. apparently your an antinomianist. ironic that in the judeo-christian faith, you deny the jewish part and consider it something like a prologue while it is still considered gods holy law by many devout jews, gods chosen people.
AHHHH, the truth comes out, you're not a Christian. I see.

Aug 25, 2009
does that mean your not obligated to respond?

C

CarrierOfChrist

does that mean your not obligated to respond?
No, it doesn't mean that, but it means you're teaching false doctrine, which you can be banned from the site for.

Fine, I'll respond.

1. Yes, I believe in all of the miracles of the Bible. If they were lies and presented as truth, why would I trust any of the other parts of the Bible?

2. Galations does indeed 'abolish' the ten commandments. As does Ephesians...

Ephesians 2:15 - by abolishing in his flesh the law with its commandments and regulations. His purpose was to create in himself one new man out of the two, thus making peace,

And Romans...

Romans 10:4 - Christ is the end of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes.

However, His commandment..

Matthew 22:37 Jesus replied: “ ‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ 38 This is the first and greatest commandment. 39 And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’

... still stands, therefore the Ten Commandments are basically still in effect, in the new law. If you follow the new law, you wouldn't break one of the Ten Commandments.

3. Honestly never heard the word, if you care to explain the label, then I'll respond. We still believe Jews were the chosen people of God, and still are. However, they denied Christ. We are Christians, and we live by what Christ taught, and Christ taught us that the laws that were for the Jews are not for us. Simple.

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2009
teaching? i thought i was doing the same thing you are doing. quoting scripture to support ideas. and banning someone who may not be christian doesnt seem like a very "christian" thing to do. they would come banging at my door to try to get me to listen to the dogma, shove literature in my face, but would ban me from here? interesting.
1. exactly. if any of the miracles or events had been exaggerated or invented, the entire bible would be questionable, wouldnt it.
2.love god and love your neighbor covers all 10 commandments to you? so, "basically", its a little misleading when churches preach sermons on the 10 commandments isnt it. they were abolished, "basically".
3. you can google antinomianism if you want.
"The Catholic Encyclopedia article on Judaizers notes: "Paul, on the other hand, not only did not object to the observance of the Mosaic Law, as long as it did not interfere with the liberty of the Gentiles, but he conformed to its prescriptions when occasion required (1 Corintians 9_20) Thus he shortly after the Council or Jerusalem circcumcised Timothy (Acts 161-3) and he was in the very act of observing the Mosaic ritual when he was arrested at Jerusalem (21:26sqq.)."
The Jewish Encyclopedia article on Gentile: Gentiles May Not Be Taught the Torah notes the following reconciliation: "R. Emden in a remarkable apology for Christianity contained in his appendix to "Seder 'Olam," gives it as his opinion that the original intention of Jesus, and especially of Paul, was to convert only the Gentiles to the seven moral laws of noah and to let the Jews follow the Mosaic law—this explains the apparent contradictions in the New Testament regarding the laws of moses and the Sabbath."
thanks for responding.

C

CarrierOfChrist

teaching? i thought i was doing the same thing you are doing. quoting scripture to support ideas. and banning someone who may not be christian doesnt seem like a very "christian" thing to do. they would come banging at my door to try to get me to listen to the dogma, shove literature in my face, but would ban me from here? interesting.
1. exactly. if any of the miracles or events had been exaggerated or invented, the entire bible would be questionable, wouldnt it.
2.love god and love your neighbor covers all 10 commandments to you? so, "basically", its a little misleading when churches preach sermons on the 10 commandments isnt it. they were abolished, "basically".
3. you can google antinomianism if you want.
"The Catholic Encyclopedia article on Judaizers notes: "Paul, on the other hand, not only did not object to the observance of the Mosaic Law, as long as it did not interfere with the liberty of the Gentiles, but he conformed to its prescriptions when occasion required (1 Corintians 9_20) Thus he shortly after the Council or Jerusalem circcumcised Timothy (Acts 161-3) and he was in the very act of observing the Mosaic ritual when he was arrested at Jerusalem (21:26sqq.)."
The Jewish Encyclopedia article on Gentile: Gentiles May Not Be Taught the Torahnotes the following reconciliation: "R. Emden in a remarkable apology for Christianity contained in his appendix to "Seder 'Olam," gives it as his opinion that the original intention of Jesus, and especially of Paul, was to convert only the Gentiles to the seven moral laws of noah and to let the Jews follow the Mosaic law—this explains the apparent contradictions in the New Testament regarding the laws of moses and the Sabbath."
thanks for responding.
This site is a place for Christians to fellowship and new believers to learn, not for an opponent to voice their gripes with Christianity.

So, from your response, it is becoming more and more apparent that you are not in agreement with the Bible, and don't think others should be either.

This will be my last response to you. I'm not sure how you expected to get a decent discussion when you have doubts on the entire subject. This opens up the option for you just to pick and choose which verses you want to argue with and which you choose to call fake.

Either way, I hope your mind is changed soon.

Mar 11, 2009
Peace be to you
gen;
This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him;Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.
gal
For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

John
Jesus saith unto her, Woman, believe me, the hour cometh, when ye shall neither in this mountain, nor yet at Jerusalem, worship the Father.
Ye worship ye know not what: we know what we worship: for salvation is of the Jews.But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshippers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him.God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.The woman saith unto him, I know that Messias cometh, which is called Christ: when he is come, he will tell us all things.Jesus saith unto her, I that speak unto thee am he.And upon this came his disciples, and marvelled that he talked with the woman: yet no man said, What seekest thou? or, Why talkest thou with her?

Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born?
Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.
That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

gen;
Wherefore she said unto Abraham, Cast out this bondwoman and her son: for the son of this bondwoman shall not be heir with my son, even with Isaac.
Gal 4:30 And the thing was very grievous in Abraham's sight because of his son
And God said unto Abraham, Let it not be grievous in thy sight because of the lad, and because of thy bondwoman; in all that Sarah hath said unto thee, hearken unto her voice; for in Isaac shall thy seed be called.
Rom 9:7 Gal 3:16 Heb 11:18

math;
When he was set down on the judgment seat, his wife sent unto him, saying, Have thou nothing to do with that just man: for I have suffered many things this day in a dream because of him.

he should have listened.

The reason people have silly questions about gender is because they never enter the kindom.Your gender should be on the cross.Your husband is you maker.He will teach you how to treat others.

Love God,Love your nieghber like you love yourself,Honor your mother and father,Stay away from idols
math
For whosoever shall do the will of my Father which is in heaven, the same is my brother, and sister, and mother.

Love a friend in God

C

contessa

This has been a struggle for me for the first 3 yrs of my marriage. Ive been raised in a christian environment, as an only child i was really close to my parents. Ive seen how they deal with each other's differences. My dad died when i was in college and my mom taught me to stand up for the right things, to speak out and iron things out by talking and weighing things before making the decision. My husband was raised diffrently. That men or fathers have the last say in every decision making. After 3 yrs, ive learned that whenever a decision is needed and my husband doesnt like my idea, what i do, i submit my requests to the LOrd, praying for it unceasingly...be it a change of my husband's mind, a change in his decision that he will favor mine. God honors our requests when He knows its best for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.