woodworking does anyone know what these parts are?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
C

ChristianTonyB

I have this in mind to move the material being worked on.
Yes, you could make that work. I could upend the saw and fix it into a saw bench, that's an option for me. Not that I have much of a need for a sliding electric mitre saw at home, but it would extend the usefulness of the drop saw. I have electric and manual saws so I'm not without sufficient options. But the design of the items in your posts are quite impressive.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
It's a type of machinists mill.

I prefer to start with a lathe like this:
https://www.grizzly.com/products/gr...F9mKbwPf9nVu2yz_BC2H_Roz1UKLSO-waApNFEALw_wcB

And then use a DRO with it....because it's not very powerful....only capable of doing aluminum parts. That's why I prefer the one I showed vx the one in the OP.

Then a cnc bench top mill. And away I go capable of machining any material I wish just about.

I can't do titanium....but why would I need that anyway?

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
It's a type of machinists mill.

I prefer to start with a lathe like this:
https://www.grizzly.com/products/gr...F9mKbwPf9nVu2yz_BC2H_Roz1UKLSO-waApNFEALw_wcB

And then use a DRO with it....because it's not very powerful....only capable of doing aluminum parts. That's why I prefer the one I showed vx the one in the OP.

Then a cnc bench top mill. And away I go capable of machining any material I wish just about.

I can't do titanium....but why would I need that anyway?
I like, I once made my own Baseball Bat in Shop Class, It extended pass the Other batters' box and was five or six inches thick. The wood I used was very light. I also made one out of some kind of plastic. When I hit the ball with that, the ball went all kinds of weird motions, left to right, --- the end moved like a fishing rod.

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021
I like, I once made my own Baseball Bat in Shop Class, It extended pass the Other batters' box and was five or six inches thick. The wood I used was very light. I also made one out of some kind of plastic. When I hit the ball with that, the ball went all kinds of weird motions, left to right, --- the end moved like a fishing rod.
Yeah....

I've been looking into machinist milling for making some things and Google translated the page.

I'm looking at being a hobbyist horologist. (Clock maker)

There are lots of awesome looking wooden clocks out there....but their lack of accuracy and daily winding make them unpopular.

So I began looking into brass and steel clock making. Precision and polishing with the gears is an absolute must.
There are many many different ways to make a clock. Marine or grasshopper encroachment seems to be the most accurate and requires the least winding of the mechanicals.

That ticking means loss of power in an inefficient manner.....

But it's been an interesting subject to investigate and look at.

I'm thinking that CNC is going to be the best choice. Wife is wanting to help. She definitely has her talents that can lend themselves to all of this. Her computer skills are definitely a big plus. (CAD and CAM) Now her hands in the machinery? Not so much. My hands are always in machinery so I know which end I get.

But most all of these precision, custom made clocks are pricey. The materials are mid range but end results go for as much as 30k. (Pre-inflation)

So I got more learning curve to go through....and lathe work to figure out as well. Gonna need to be able to do all kinds of things....but it's not a stretch from my previous skill set.

TheLearner

Jan 14, 2019
Brighton, MI
Yeah....

I've been looking into machinist milling for making some things and Google translated the page.

I'm looking at being a hobbyist horologist. (Clock maker)

There are lots of awesome looking wooden clocks out there....but their lack of accuracy and daily winding make them unpopular.

So I began looking into brass and steel clock making. Precision and polishing with the gears is an absolute must.
There are many many different ways to make a clock. Marine or grasshopper encroachment seems to be the most accurate and requires the least winding of the mechanicals.

That ticking means loss of power in an inefficient manner.....

But it's been an interesting subject to investigate and look at.

I'm thinking that CNC is going to be the best choice. Wife is wanting to help. She definitely has her talents that can lend themselves to all of this. Her computer skills are definitely a big plus. (CAD and CAM) Now her hands in the machinery? Not so much. My hands are always in machinery so I know which end I get.

But most all of these precision, custom made clocks are pricey. The materials are mid range but end results go for as much as 30k. (Pre-inflation)

So I got more learning curve to go through....and lathe work to figure out as well. Gonna need to be able to do all kinds of things....but it's not a stretch from my previous skill set.
https://www.google.com/search?q=how...nt=gws-wiz#kpvalbx=_W6nMYvOCGJanptQPn8mM-A814

JohnDB

Jan 16, 2021