wow i write tooo many of these:)

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
T

tkgurl

but, i was wondering about dress and clothing. i recall in the bible that we are supposed to reflect God and dress somewhat modestly. but how exactly? am i supposed to throw everything i own out and go buy some turtlenecks? what? i kind of want to throw most of my clothes out...but i dont really have the money to buy a new wardrobe. i know the inside is more important, but the outside is supposed to reflect my christian inside... what do you think? how are christian teens supposed to dress? btw, i dont dress that badly, i hate short shorts, i do not wear low tops, my jeans could be a little less tight but i still feel awkward...

D

Dmurray

but, i was wondering about dress and clothing. i recall in the bible that we are supposed to reflect God and dress somewhat modestly. but how exactly? am i supposed to throw everything i own out and go buy some turtlenecks? what? i kind of want to throw most of my clothes out...but i dont really have the money to buy a new wardrobe. i know the inside is more important, but the outside is supposed to reflect my christian inside... what do you think? how are christian teens supposed to dress? btw, i dont dress that badly, i hate short shorts, i do not wear low tops, my jeans could be a little less tight but i still feel awkward...
Skirts below the knees, no pants at all, uncut hair, no makeup no jewlery except wedding/promise ring and watch (depending on what it is I suppose). Not tight clothing,

Uncut hair: 1Co 11:5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.
1Co 11:6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.

So what this is saying is, if you are praying or prophecying with your head uncovered you are dishonoring God. Now if the woman isn't covered let her also be shorn (shorn means to shear, so cut your hair) but if it be a shame to be shorn or shaven let her be covered.

So basically in God's eye if the woman is going to cut her hair, to him you are like shaving your head. Remember God has high standards.

Skirts: Deu 22:5 The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

Pants were invented for men. Women didn't start to wear pants really until the 1950's

Jewlery: 1Ti 2:9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

So be modest, don't be wearing gold or costly things of the world, because when it comes to women lets face it, if one see's one wearing something expensive the other wants it, and it causes competition between them. God doesn't want that, so let us just not wear that kind of stuff.

God Bless.

If you want something more in depth give me a day or so to ask my mom about it, or research it a bit more. Just send me a PM if you want to discuss it. :D
(PS Sorry if I sound un-loving about it. Just wanted to get to the point and not dilly dally with it)

S

ShelleBelle76

Skirts below the knees, no pants at all, uncut hair, no makeup no jewlery except wedding/promise ring and watch (depending on what it is I suppose). Not tight clothing,

Uncut hair: 1Co 11:5 But every woman that prayeth or prophesieth with her head uncovered dishonoureth her head: for that is even all one as if she were shaven.
1Co 11:6 For if the woman be not covered, let her also be shorn: but if it be a shame for a woman to be shorn or shaven, let her be covered.

So what this is saying is, if you are praying or prophecying with your head uncovered you are dishonoring God. Now if the woman isn't covered let her also be shorn (shorn means to shear, so cut your hair) but if it be a shame to be shorn or shaven let her be covered.

So basically in God's eye if the woman is going to cut her hair, to him you are like shaving your head. Remember God has high standards.

Skirts: Deu 22:5 The woman shall not wear that which pertaineth unto a man, neither shall a man put on a woman's garment: for all that do so are abomination unto the LORD thy God.

Pants were invented for men. Women didn't start to wear pants really until the 1950's

Jewlery: 1Ti 2:9 In like manner also, that women adorn themselves in modest apparel, with shamefacedness and sobriety; not with broided hair, or gold, or pearls, or costly array;

So be modest, don't be wearing gold or costly things of the world, because when it comes to women lets face it, if one see's one wearing something expensive the other wants it, and it causes competition between them. God doesn't want that, so let us just not wear that kind of stuff.

God Bless.

If you want something more in depth give me a day or so to ask my mom about it, or research it a bit more. Just send me a PM if you want to discuss it. :D
(PS Sorry if I sound un-loving about it. Just wanted to get to the point and not dilly dally with it)
All of that sounded a little bit legalistic and extreme. Especially if someone is newly a Christian, you cannot expect to shove them in a little Christian box all at once and expect them to be immediately transformed. You have to be careful not to demand people abide by the law, but that they are open spiritually to God's conviction and direction.

I think mostly you should be aware of the message you are sending with your clothing. Godly clothing will not overly accentuate your body, be too fitting, or draw attention to your figure. Modest apparel doesn't show too much skin, both below the skirtline and above the neckline. Leggings, pants and shorts are a topic of debate and I believe if you sincerely desire an answer you should pray about it and see where God leads you.

Basically, if anything makes you feel uncomfortable or awkward, don't do it! God has ways of convicting us of things He deems innappropriate for us, and those answers cannot come from anyone else because that is His conviction for you. God can feasibly convict you of something that is not specifically addressed in the Bible, so keep an open heart towards Him for the answers.

D

Dmurray

Well according to her profile shes been a Christian her whole life. And if it is in the Bible we must do it. People used to do it, but people think we don't have to now. That's just the enemy deceiving the world. It has happened A LOT in the last 60 years.

D

Dmurray

Thats just what the Bible says. :)

A

angelos

Well according to her profile shes been a Christian her whole life. And if it is in the Bible we must do it. People used to do it, but people think we don't have to now. That's just the enemy deceiving the world. It has happened A LOT in the last 60 years.
There is a scripture that says happy are those that dash thy little ones on the ground? should we do that? There is also a scripture that says don't shave. Men today shave all the time.

Leviticus 19:27 "'Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard"

D

Dmurray

That's a good question I'll have to look into it. Thank you for bringing it to my attention.

S

ShelleBelle76

There is a scripture that says happy are those that dash thy little ones on the ground? should we do that? There is also a scripture that says don't shave. Men today shave all the time.

Leviticus 19:27 "'Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard"
These were JEWISH LAW, right? The same law that Christ fullfilled with his sacrifice on the cross? We are under the law of grace, not this law. That doesn't mean we have free reign to live "lawlessly" but that through salvation we will achieve righteousness and will fullfill his requirements for godly living.

A

angelos

These were JEWISH LAW, right? The same law that Christ fullfilled with his sacrifice on the cross? We are under the law of grace, not this law. That doesn't mean we have free reign to live "lawlessly" but that through salvation we will achieve righteousness and will fullfill his requirements for godly living.
Do you think that I believe that in Christ I can sin all i want or something that i have no rules to live by?

S

ShelleBelle76

Do you think that I believe that in Christ I can sin all i want or something that i have no rules to live by?
I'm not sure why you are making this about you... I wasn't saying anything about you personally, or even eluding to the fact that you don't feel you have to live by rules. I was addressing the fact of the shaving issue and the multitude of other laws that are no longer observed.

Anyone who thinks they could sin all they want and have no rules is not living righteously through salvation, and I have never gotten that impression from any of your posts, EVER! I rather enjoy your perspective most of the time. :)

A

angelos

I'm not sure why you are making this about you... I wasn't saying anything about you personally, or even eluding to the fact that you don't feel you have to live by rules. I was addressing the fact of the shaving issue and the multitude of other laws that are no longer observed.

Anyone who thinks they could sin all they want and have no rules is not living righteously through salvation, and I have never gotten that impression from any of your posts, EVER! I rather enjoy your perspective most of the time. :)
I'm sorry :( I thought i was being compared to a legalist somewhere in there.

S

socperkins

There is a good verse that says not to tempt people with your clothing, and I think that's the best way to go. Your clothing should frame your face not your body. This goes for men and women alike.

phil36

Feb 12, 2009
I basically agree with Shellebelle, plus another thing is if you can't really afford new clothing, you have to wear what you have. Give it to God in prayer and the next time you can get new clothes choose what you think will be honourable to God not to man.

I admire that at the age you are you are thinking of these things, I have a daughter similar age (shes not saved) so I know what young kids like to wear, and to be honest there is nothing wrong with being fashionable. Jjust dress with a thought on God, that doesn't mean you have to wear a tent and hide your face, I think some men on here seem to think that way.

Have a look around in Church and out what do Christians ladies/girls wear God will show you and I am sure by asking this question God may be showing you already. But, you don't need two dress like something straight out of Queen Victories royal court. Ask advice from Godly women, not neanderthal men on here.

Phil

L

lighthousejohn

God Bless.

DMurray,

You are being a bit legalistic in your quoting of the Mosaic Law. Paul addressed this issue at Antioch when he confronted Peter about strict adherance to the lLaw for all believers. The Judaizers demanded that the gentile believers be circumcised and be purified so that they could make offerings at the Temple (ref; First Council of Jerusalem, Acts 15) The Council wrote that the gentile believers were not to be burdened with the whole Law but that they "must abstain from food sacrificed to idols, from blood, from the meat of strangled animals and from sexual immorality." They had in essence compromised the Law to accomodate the gentile believers.

In the Book of Galatians 2 and 3 Paul confronts Peter and the Galatians about this. He accused Peter of hypocrisy; Galatians 2:14 "14When I saw that they were not acting in line with the truth of the gospel, I said to Peter in front of them all, "You are a Jew, yet you live like a Gentile and not like a Jew. How is it, then, that you force Gentiles to follow Jewish customs?"

Paul continued in verses 15-21 "

15"We who are Jews by birth and not 'Gentile sinners' 16know that a man is not justified by observing the law, but by faith in Jesus Christ. So we, too, have put our faith in Christ Jesus that we may be justified by faith in Christ and not by observing the law, because by observing the law no one will be justified.
17"If, while we seek to be justified in Christ, it becomes evident that we ourselves are sinners, does that mean that Christ promotes sin? Absolutely not! 18If I rebuild what I destroyed, I prove that I am a lawbreaker. 19For through the law I died to the law so that I might live for God. 20I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me. 21I do not set aside the grace of God, for if righteousness could be gained through the law, Christ died for nothing!"

Paul then admoished the Galatians in chapter 3, summing up part of his argument in verses 23-29 "23Before this faith came, we were held prisoners by the law, locked up until faith should be revealed. 24So the law was put in charge to lead us to Christ[h] that we might be justified by faith. 25Now that faith has come, we are no longer under the supervision of the law.
26You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, 27for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. 28There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. 29If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise."

Paul finalizes his argument in Chapter 5:16-26 "16So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature. 17For the sinful nature desires what is contrary to the Spirit, and the Spirit what is contrary to the sinful nature. They are in conflict with each other, so that you do not do what you want. 18But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under law.

19The acts of the sinful nature are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.
22But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. 24Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. 25Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit. 26Let us not become conceited, provoking and envying each other.

To tkgurl;
Let us live by the Spirit and not bind ourselves to strict adherance to the Law. If we judge ourselves by the fruits of the Spirit and not by the Law then we will be okay. If the Holy Spirit convicts you of dressing immodestly, then respond accordingly. It is not for me or anyone else to dictate what you cann and cannot wear and wheter or not you should or should not cut your hair. That is the soul pervue of the Holy Spirit.

In Christ,
John

D

Dmurray

She asked what the Bible says about womens apparel. Thats what the Bible says. Legalistics or not. If it is in the Bible we should do it. God is not the author of confusion so if he is going to say to dress modestly and not wear expensive things, or to not cut your hair because it is a shame and you are dishonoring God by doing so. Then I think we should follow it. The Bible can be followed the exact same as it was 2000 years ago. Why is it that we don't anymore? Did God tell us otherwise? God forbid. The Bible is the standards and way to live a Holy life. Why change what it says?

S

ShelleBelle76

She asked what the Bible says about womens apparel. Thats what the Bible says. Legalistics or not. If it is in the Bible we should do it. God is not the author of confusion so if he is going to say to dress modestly and not wear expensive things, or to not cut your hair because it is a shame and you are dishonoring God by doing so. Then I think we should follow it. The Bible can be followed the exact same as it was 2000 years ago. Why is it that we don't anymore? Did God tell us otherwise? God forbid. The Bible is the standards and way to live a Holy life. Why change what it says?
So what of circumcision? Are we dishonoring God by not circumcising our sons? It is in the Bible. I thought this issue was addressed in the New Testament?

D

Dmurray

So what of circumcision? Are we dishonoring God by not circumcising our sons? It is in the Bible. I thought this issue was addressed in the New Testament?
So did I but it's not. I talked to my Pastor about it, and he explained it to me. I forget exactly what he said now though.
PS when you have a baby anyways the doctor asks about it for health reasons. (or here they do at least)

S

ShelleBelle76

So did I but it's not. I talked to my Pastor about it, and he explained it to me. I forget exactly what he said now though.
PS when you have a baby anyways the doctor asks about it for health reasons. (or here they do at least)
When you have a son you have a choice to or not to circumcise. But that is not my point. My point is in the church we do not teach it is required to circumcise your children, although it is in the Bible as a requirement of the law.

You need to understand that when (honest) people say the law is no longer applicable to our lives, it is not to excuse ungodly behavior, but because if we are truly living a life that is pleasing to God, we will not require the law, but will exceed the law in the choices we make. We will dress modestly, we will not participate in sexual immorality, we will not speak hatefully, bitterly, etc, but we will walk in righteousness through the Holy Spirit.

That is why the law preceeded Jesus Christ, because without the law there was no other means for them to do good. They sinned, rules were implemented, so they would know how to do good and please God.

We now have the blessing of salvation, that changes our hearts and makes us overcomers over sin, through the power of the Holy Spirit. Which is why if you are saved and living in the Holy Spirit, there is no need for the law. Hope that explains the point I was trying to make.

Last edited:
D

Dmurray

The NT isn't the law though. We're not under the law. What I quoted about the hair and modest apparel was all NT. Not law. So what do you say then? Pass it off? We can't pick and chose. I know there are things I'm probably not doing right, with little legalistic things, but as of right now, I don't know what they are. When I do know then I want to follow what the Bible says.

God Bless.