X Marks the Spot

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
K

kaylagrl

Yeah. Some people are just spoiled children. Ignore them.

I remember one Communist got so upset at the truth I was using to destroy her lies, she went through all of my recent posts and x marked them all, before putting me on ignore. Lol. Just like a Communist. Cowardly and pathetic.

I had to cross mark your post, because I really like the crosses, but just like guns, they can be used or misused. The crosses allow me to tell someone (and others) a post is incorrect, without wasting precious words and time, in the event that such a one is too ignorant to understand truth. Also, if a few people have already x-marked an incorrect post, it can save you time even bothering to read it.

I agree that some people will misuse this function, but a number of the cowardly Communists I have seen misusing the crosses eventually end up banned. :)

Lol, I saw it was you and it made me laugh cause we're both in the trenches over there in the News forum. I agree, when the X is not used to disagree but as a weapon that person needs to be banned. The use of it doesn't bother me, but it would be polite if a person gave an explanation if asked. They really are getting tiresome, the people who come to troll, time on their hands I guess.

jb

Feb 27, 2010
While I totally realize that CCs intentions were to give people several emojis to react with, things have lately been getting out of hand. I recall when the red x first popped up. I would use it only when I believed what a person was saying was heresy, totally against what the Bible taught. Then suddenly people began to use it not because they disagreed with a comment, but as a weapon. I had several people, who are now banned, that would follow me around the forum and red x anything I said, even if it was straight out of the Bible!! I pop in today and see someone has given me ten thumbs down in a row, and I wasn't even speaking directly to them!! smh Hey, you want to disagree, do so. But people are using these emojis as a weapon. I feel that's a misuse of the emojis. Anyone else feel the same way? Understand, I'm not saying people don't have a right to use it, I just don't think you should be allowed to misuse it simply because you dislike that person. There is a difference.
I see you've doled out 224 X's!

Is that a record on here? :p

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
how can you tell the number of xs you give out?
I think ive only given out a few, like you could count on one hand. I dont know if I received many because I dont always look to see if anyones reacted to my posts. And they dont have to react the minute I post something either.

I think in some ways its good, but not always beneficial to get a big head about being popular or feeling crushed for being unpopular. I guess it comes down to if you worried what others think of YOU rather than the content of your post.
Im sure that everyones posted some clunkers on a bad day. myself included.

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
I actually made a thread once that was just called the emoji thread.
It didnt last very long but it was fun. Maybe it stopped cos it got a thumbs down?

jb

Feb 27, 2010
how can you tell the number of xs you give out?
I think ive only given out a few, like you could count on one hand. I dont know if I received many because I dont always look to see if anyones reacted to my posts. And they dont have to react the minute I post something either.

I think in some ways its good, but not always beneficial to get a big head about being popular or feeling crushed for being unpopular. I guess it comes down to if you worried what others think of YOU rather than the content of your post.
Im sure that everyones posted some clunkers on a bad day. myself included.
You've given out 3 and received 77...

It's part of your profile info...

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
interesting. well if you talk about politics all the time you are probably gonna give out and receive heaps because most politics is all about disagreeing anyway. Im like I dont have time to argue about politics.

hmm seems I got so many thumbs up they had to write k next to it. But I never really checked or kept tabs on it. If someone disagreed with me I'd just leave it and not interrogate them on why. Thats their choice. Not everyone has to agree with me. Id be weirded out if someone put ticks next to every post of mine like they were marking it for school. Do I get an A? A gold star?

When's the exam?

Billyd

May 8, 2014
I thought that a red x meant that I disagree with a post, and a green check meant I agree with a post. That's how I have been using them. I use a thumbs down for dislikes

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
I thought that a red x meant that I disagree with a post, and a green check meant I agree with a post. That's how I have been using them. I use a thumbs down for dislikes
That's an excellent point about the meaning of some symbols being interpreted differently.

One CC friend here said that this whole time, they thought that the "wrench" symbol meant, "Your post needs some work. Nice try, but try harder." In other words, they thought it was a negative cut down.

But I always saw the wrench as positive, because when you hover over it, the explanation that's given is "useful." I've always used it as a means to say, "Your post gave very practical information or advice that I can implement in my own life, thank you."

But of course, if someone is repeatedly using the X, or is following someone around just to give it to them, I don't think that can really be interpreted as anything else than negative, at least in my opinion.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
That's an excellent point about the meaning of some symbols being interpreted differently.

One CC friend here said that this whole time, they thought that the "wrench" symbol meant, "Your post needs some work. Nice try, but try harder." In other words, they thought it was a negative cut down.

But I always saw the wrench as positive, because when you hover over it, the explanation that's given is "useful." I've always used it as a means to say, "Your post gave very practical information or advice that I can implement in my own life, thank you."

But of course, if someone is repeatedly using the X, or is following someone around just to give it to them, I don't think that can really be interpreted as anything else than negative, at least in my opinion.
i more or less use them the way they're described in the hover-text. except the heart isn't really for 'friendly' lol it's love!

i give out a lot of 'useful' reactions, even if i don't agree with or particularly like a comment, if i think the post brings up good points or important, relevant arguments, or if someone has explained their view on something.

i may or may not agree with the content but i'll put 'useful' kinda to say, i'm glad this post is here; it really adds to the discussion.

Lynx

Folksy yet erudite
Aug 13, 2014
Yup, love. I just LOVE that post!

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
if you hover over the symbol, it tells you what it stands for.

You dont need to guess. thumbs down is dislike, thumbs up is like.
x is disagree. tick is agree.

the reactions are slightly different from the emojis available on the posts itself. eg there is no hersheys kiss symbol :poop:

G00WZ

May 16, 2014
While I totally realize that CCs intentions were to give people several emojis to react with, things have lately been getting out of hand. I recall when the red x first popped up. I would use it only when I believed what a person was saying was heresy, totally against what the Bible taught. Then suddenly people began to use it not because they disagreed with a comment, but as a weapon. I had several people, who are now banned, that would follow me around the forum and red x anything I said, even if it was straight out of the Bible!! I pop in today and see someone has given me ten thumbs down in a row, and I wasn't even speaking directly to them!! smh Hey, you want to disagree, do so. But people are using these emojis as a weapon. I feel that's a misuse of the emojis. Anyone else feel the same way? Understand, I'm not saying people don't have a right to use it, I just don't think you should be allowed to misuse it simply because you dislike that person. There is a difference.
I wouldn't worry about it. First of all it requires effort to follow around a person to disagree with everything they say and #2 is
people can see who's giving you the X's. If someone spent their time trying to hurt my feelings with that i'd find it amusing, mostly
because i know the effort it takes and the fact that they're waiting to see when i post to do it.

It kind of reminds me of the time i angered an entire team of people on an online game and they would literally take shifts 24 hours a day just to try to harass me when i'd log in. Imagine a group of 10+ people each losing sleep and having to be on a specific logged in schedule just to have a 24 hour surveillance for just 1 person lol.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
I wouldn't worry about it. First of all it requires effort to follow around a person to disagree with everything they say and #2 is
people can see who's giving you the X's. If someone spent their time trying to hurt my feelings with that i'd find it amusing, mostly
because i know the effort it takes and the fact that they're waiting to see when i post to do it.

It kind of reminds me of the time i angered an entire team of people on an online game and they would literally take shifts 24 hours a day just to try to harass me when i'd log in. Imagine a group of 10+ people each losing sleep and having to be on a specific logged in schedule just to have a 24 hour surveillance for just 1 person lol.
What on earth did you do?! 😆

I've had this happen with individuals, but not entire teams.

I guess I need to try harder. 🤪🤓😂

G00WZ

May 16, 2014
What on earth did you do?! 😆

I've had this happen with individuals, but not entire teams.

I guess I need to try harder. 🤪🤓😂
It started with them first harassing and being racist one of my friends. Long story short one of my other friends doxed the entire clan and gave me all of their Facebook pictures and i basically roasted them 1 by 1 and kept killing them when they would try to attack us in game. The final nail in the coffin was when i said that their clan leader looked like the rock biter from the movie The Never-ending Story 1 (he did), and i'd leave limestone bricks where they would often hang out. That's basically what started a war with them, that was years and years ago though when i had absolutely no chill lol.

B

Blackpowderduelist

With the some folks on here a red x is pretty much a sure sign you are right on track. So thumbs down is the same. I don't know how I have so few red xs

gb9

Jan 18, 2011
the red x reminds me of girls passing notes in class back in middle and high school....

Lanolin

Dec 15, 2018
could mean kisses
Maybe they secretly like you....