movies, shows, and when to run the other way.

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

timemeddler

Jul 13, 2023
For those who occasionally go see movies or watch shows, finding out about the content of some shows and movies can be difficult sometimes. IMDB isn't always concerned about if a movie has offensive content in it, at least as far as Christians are concerned. Unless you've seen it before, you may not know about that nude scene, or if the movie has a hidden subversive message to in it. It doesn't hurt to ask people who have seen it for information. Avoiding questionable titles is preferable to finding out about something midway through.

Now when to run away? You'll have to gauge for yourself how much of what is appropriate, for example I don't consider violence a problem per say, after all the bible has stories with violence in it. I' m more concerned with how it presents it. Lone nude scenes can often avoided, hit the next button on the remote or avert your eyes from the screen, However for movies where the plot itself is pushing a sinful agenda, or multiple scenes contain nudity or something else that's taking front and center, don't bother, just turn it off or leave at that point.

Any other point or suggestions?

Cold

Apr 18, 2024
I can only offer the idea that I decided on. Cut out all movies and tv shows. Obviously not everyone will decide to follow my idea and I doubt it is a necessity for most people. I just decided to get rid of all media types that aren't focused on God and/or His word. Now I'm no longer worried about falling back into ignoring God just to enjoy some random entertainment that keeps my mind away from what should be the main focus.

Edify

Jan 27, 2021
1 Thessalonians 5:2But we ask you, brothers and sisters, to recognize those who diligently labor among you and [h]are in leadership over you in the Lord, and give you instruction, 13and that you regard them very highly in love because of their work. Live in peace with one another. 14We urge you, brothers and sisters, admonish the [j]unruly, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with everyone. 15See that no one repays another with evil for evil, but always seek what is good for one another and for all people. 16Rejoice always, 17pray without ceasing, 18in everything give thanks; for this is the will of God for you in Christ Jesus. 19Do not quench the Spirit, 20do not utterly reject [k]prophecies, 21but examine everything; hold firmly to that which is good, 22abstain from every [l]form of evil.

Romans 12:21
New American Standard Bible
Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

1 Peter 4:18 AND IF IT IS WITH DIFFICULTY THAT THE RIGHTEOUS IS SAVED, WHAT WILL BECOME OF THE GODLESS MAN AND THE SINNER?

1. If you can't SEE what a show's intent /purpose is, they win.
2. Considering these scriptures, what could possibly be left to safely watch?
Would you dig thru the garbage can to find a steak dinner? If you did, how would you keep the garbage off of you?
Don't think I'm trying to judge you or anything. God through this post is already dealing with me. :)

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
all born again Christians have the Holy Spirit of God living with them. between the H.S. & your spirit, conscious, soul & mind, you should know immediately or very close to immediacy, what is bad, negative, sinful or wrong. when you discern that, remove yourself quickly & move on. what a coincidence because just a couple of days ago while on f.b., a little quick "sex" movie appeared as a promotion in a little box off the side of the screen. i saw it & looked a second time to see if it was real. it was real! i couldn't believe it because i'm not used to that. i didn't sin because i didn't view it for enjoyment. i just couldn't believe it was there.

Edify

Jan 27, 2021
Has anyone noticed that the commercials are worse than some of the shows!

ResidentAlien

Apr 21, 2021
For those who occasionally go see movies or watch shows, finding out about the content of some shows and movies can be difficult sometimes. IMDB isn't always concerned about if a movie has offensive content in it, at least as far as Christians are concerned. Unless you've seen it before, you may not know about that nude scene, or if the movie has a hidden subversive message to in it. It doesn't hurt to ask people who have seen it for information. Avoiding questionable titles is preferable to finding out about something midway through.

Now when to run away? You'll have to gauge for yourself how much of what is appropriate, for example I don't consider violence a problem per say, after all the bible has stories with violence in it. I' m more concerned with how it presents it. Lone nude scenes can often avoided, hit the next button on the remote or avert your eyes from the screen, However for movies where the plot itself is pushing a sinful agenda, or multiple scenes contain nudity or something else that's taking front and center, don't bother, just turn it off or leave at that point.

IMDB does show ratings at least. If it has an R rating I'll look further and find out more about the movie. Wikipedia always tells who a movie is distributed by. If it's HBO you can almost guarantee it's not going to be something I would enjoy. Disney is another automatic no-go for me. Movieguide.org has some good reviews; it has reviews for Christians and breaks down the content by language, sex, nudity, violence, etc.

https://www.movieguide.org/category/reviews/movies

Karlon

Mar 8, 2023
Has anyone noticed that the commercials are worse than some of the shows!
yes, for about a couple of years that i know of. certainly, a sign of the times we're in.

Eli1

Apr 5, 2022

I agree with you, especially when one should know when a harmful agenda is pushed or just simply harmful content.
But how cultures view violence or sexuality differs. For example, in America most are okay with violence at a family movie at 8PM whereas in Eruope most are ok with a nude scene as a family movie at 8PM but not okay with a lot of rounds being unloaded like Chuck Norris did back in his 80s movies where he single-handedly went to Vietnam, killed all the bad guys, rescued his friends and then came home for dinner. :LOL:
Other than that, everyone should realize when bad or harmful content is pushed.