Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 66
Like Tree59Likes

Bible Discussion Forum

Ask (or answer) Bible questions here. Join or start a Bible discussion now!

Thread: Why did God hate Esau?

  1. #1
    Senior Member unobtrusive's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 23rd, 2017
    Age
    69
    Posts
    864
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Why did God hate Esau?

    I know that God is not a respecter of persons, and that Esau was just as much of a child of Abraham and Isaac as was Jacob. Yet the Bible seems to make it clear that there was a great difference between God's attitude of loving Jacob and hating Esau.

    Now selling his birthright to Jacob, Esau is not hated as a person as mentioned in Hebrews 12:16, but is used as an example for us to not be a "profane person, (crossing the line/threshold) as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright."

    What did he do so wrong that he couldn't repent?

    I know that Esau's descendants are called Edomites, but God specifically told Israel that Edom was their brother and to treat them with respect in Deuteronomy 2:2-5, and 23:7-8.
    I know this cannot be a double standard according to righteousness.

    Was it Esau as a person that God hated, or what Edom represented?


    Romans 9:10-13 NASB
    10 And not only this, but there was Rebekah also, when she had conceived twins by one man, our father Isaac;
    11 for though the twins were not yet born and had not done anything good or bad, so that God’s purpose according to His choice would remain, not from works but from Him who calls,
    12 it was said to her, “The older will serve the younger.”
    13 Just as it is written, “Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.”

    Could this be much more than just selling out, going over the line so far as bringing a person to the point of not being able to repent?


    joefizz likes this.

  2. #2
    Senior Member eternally-gratefull's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14th, 2011
    Age
    52
    Posts
    46,697
    Rep Power
    277

    Default Re: Why did God hate Esau?

    Good did not hate Esau, he loved him less, God chose Jacob to do something special. His, he loved jacob more,

    Plus in Malachi where that is sad, HS not talking about 2 kids, but two nations, he love Israel more than he did Edom.
    Eternally Grateful for the grace God has shown a wretched soul such as myself.

    Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus,

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    March 22nd, 2015
    Age
    83
    Posts
    7,611
    Rep Power
    82

    Default Re: Why did God hate Esau?

    Quote Originally Posted by unobtrusive View Post
    I know that God is not a respecter of persons, and that Esau was just as much of a child of Abraham and Isaac as was Jacob. Yet the Bible seems to make it clear that there was a great difference between God's attitude of loving Jacob and hating Esau.

    Now selling his birthright to Jacob, Esau is not hated as a person as mentioned in Hebrews 12:16, but is used as an example for us to not be a "profane person, (crossing the line/threshold) as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright."

    What did he do so wrong that he couldn't repent?

    I know that Esau's descendants are called Edomites, but God specifically told Israel that Edom was their brother and to treat them with respect in Deuteronomy 2:2-5, and 23:7-8.
    I know this cannot be a double standard according to righteousness.

    Was it Esau as a person that God hated, or what Edom represented?


    Romans 9:10-13 NASB
    10 And not only this, but there was Rebekah also, when she had conceived twins by one man, our father Isaac;
    11 for though the twins were not yet born and had not done anything good or bad, so that God’s purpose according to His choice would remain, not from works but from Him who calls,
    12 it was said to her, “The older will serve the younger.”
    13 Just as it is written, “Jacob I loved, but Esau I hated.”

    Could this be much more than just selling out, going over the line so far as bringing a person to the point of not being able to repent?


    Jacob loved Rachel and 'hated' Leah. Far better would it be to translate the words, 'not loved' or 'loved less'.
    joefizz and unobtrusive like this.

  4. #4
    Senior Member unobtrusive's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 23rd, 2017
    Age
    69
    Posts
    864
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: Why did God hate Esau?

    Quote Originally Posted by eternally-gratefull View Post
    Good did not hate Esau, he loved him less, God chose Jacob to do something special. His, he loved jacob more,

    Plus in Malachi where that is sad, HS not talking about 2 kids, but two nations, he love Israel more than he did Edom.
    Thanks!! That's what I thought.

    Numbers 20:14-21 (In my own words)
    Moses sent messengers the king of Edom, with detections of communication, clarifying Israel as their brother, and sat, “You already know about the slavery we experienced in Egypt after our forefathers, the sons of Jacob lived there. We were there for a very long time, and how they came to hate us and our forefathers. We begged Jehovah (יְהֹוָה the self-existent), He heard us sent an angel to free us, so now we are wandering fugitives in the desert ( קָדֵשׁ Kadesh) on the edge of your boarder.

    We beg you to let us pass through your country, being careful to not go through your fields or vineyards. WE promise not to drink your water, following the king’s highway without detour, as we travel through your country.”


    The reply from Edom was that if they dared come into their country, they would fight against Israel with the sword.

    After Edom’s refusal Israel affirmed that they would for sure travel on the highway, and if any of their cattle would drink their water, that they would pay for it. They said they would travel on foot wihtout doing anything else.

    Edom came out to Israel with military forces, reaffirming that Israel would not come into their land, causing Israel to turn away without conflict.


    joefizz likes this.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Nehemiah6's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 18th, 2017
    Age
    75
    Posts
    1,913
    Rep Power
    68

    Default Re: Why did God hate Esau?

    While we cannot minimize the fact that the Bible says that God hated Esau, we can certainly try to understand this hatred in light of the character of God. While God is Love, and Christ is also Love, Scripture says about the Son of God "thou hast loved righteousness and HATED iniquity". So we should view the enmity of God against Esau in this light. The Hebrew word sane (saw-nay) literally means hate but that includes the following: detest (1), enemy (3), enmity (1), foes (1), hate (78), hated (28), hated her intensely (1), hates (19), hating (2), hatred (1), turned against (1), turns against (2), unloved (7).

    When Scripture says that God hated "Esau", that also includes the nation of Edom and the Edomites, who allsprang from Esau. But "why" is the question, and the answers are found in the character of Esau (Heb 12:16,17)

    Lest there be any fornicator, or profane person, as Esau, who for one morsel of meat sold his birthright. For ye know how that afterward, when he would have inherited the blessing, he was rejected: for he found no place of repentance, though he sought it carefully with tears.

    Esau is called " a profane person", which really means "a godless person".


    Strong's Concordance
    bebélos: permitted to be trodden, by impl. unhallowed
    Original Word: βέβηλος, ον
    Part of Speech: Adjective
    Transliteration: bebélos
    Phonetic Spelling: (beb'-ay-los)
    Short Definition: profane, secular, unspiritual, godless, worldly
    Definition: permitted to be trodden, accessible.


    When Esau rejected his birthright, he rejected both the grace of God and God Himself. Thus he first became an enemy of God, so God became his enemy and hated Esau. The history of the Edomites proves
    that they hated God.
    Last edited by Nehemiah6; September 11th, 2017 at 05:09 PM.
    joefizz likes this.

  6. #6
    Senior Member BillG's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 15th, 2017
    Age
    49
    Posts
    3,130
    Rep Power
    158

    Default Re: Why did God hate Esau?

    Quote Originally Posted by eternally-gratefull View Post
    Good did not hate Esau, he loved him less, God chose Jacob to do something special. His, he loved jacob more,

    Plus in Malachi where that is sad, HS not talking about 2 kids, but two nations, he love Israel more than he did Edom.
    Hi EG,

    to be honest given my understanding Gods love is perfect.
    Perfect love casts out all fear.

    If God is true to himself and is constant therefore his love must be.
    For God so loved the world he gave his one and only son.

    So I would say he did not hate or love Esau less.

    But if his love is perfect and constant and he acts as he does then there must be a reason and purpose.

    In Genesis 33 we find Jacob and Esau met.

    And it seems that Esau had some kind of blessing

    Genesis 33:9-12
    9 “My brother, I have plenty,” Esau answered. “Keep what you have for yourself.”
    10 But Jacob insisted, “No, if I have found favor with you, please accept this gift from me. And what a relief to see your friendly smile. It is like seeing the face of God!11 Please take this gift I have brought you, for God has been very gracious to me. I have more than enough.” And because Jacob insisted, Esau finally accepted the gift.
    12 “Well,” Esau said, “let’s be going. I will lead the way.”

    God chose Abraham’s son Isaac instead of Abraham’s son Ishmael.
    Through which we are saved by faith.

    so to me it's not loving less but Gods love choosing one over another.

    I assume to work his purpose.
    unobtrusive likes this.
    Lord

    Help me to be the person my dog thinks I am.

  7. #7
    Senior Member eternally-gratefull's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14th, 2011
    Age
    52
    Posts
    46,697
    Rep Power
    277

    Default Re: Why did God hate Esau?

    Quote Originally Posted by BillG View Post
    Hi EG,

    to be honest given my understanding Gods love is perfect.
    Perfect love casts out all fear.

    If God is true to himself and is constant therefore his love must be.
    For God so loved the world he gave his one and only son.

    So I would say he did not hate or love Esau less.

    But if his love is perfect and constant and he acts as he does then there must be a reason and purpose.

    In Genesis 33 we find Jacob and Esau met.

    And it seems that Esau had some kind of blessing

    Genesis 33:9-12
    9 “My brother, I have plenty,” Esau answered. “Keep what you have for yourself.”
    10 But Jacob insisted, “No, if I have found favor with you, please accept this gift from me. And what a relief to see your friendly smile. It is like seeing the face of God!11 Please take this gift I have brought you, for God has been very gracious to me. I have more than enough.” And because Jacob insisted, Esau finally accepted the gift.
    12 “Well,” Esau said, “let’s be going. I will lead the way.”

    God chose Abraham’s son Isaac instead of Abraham’s son Ishmael.
    Through which we are saved by faith.

    so to me it's not loving less but Gods love choosing one over another.

    I assume to work his purpose.
    Hey bro, thanks for your response.

    I got my view from research, the term "Hate" in the Hebrew is not literally "hate" but is better translated as "love less"

    we see an example in the NT when jesus said if we do not hate our spouses, our parents and our kids, we can have no fellowship with him. Where he can not be telling us to hate anyone, he would be telling us to sin, WHat he is saying is we have to put God first above even them.

    God had a special place in his heart for Israel. They have always been his love, In this aspect.WHile your right, God loves all the same, He did have a special relationship with Jacob, That is what is in focus here. Not that God hated anyone.

    I hope this makes sense.
    UnderGrace and unobtrusive like this.
    Eternally Grateful for the grace God has shown a wretched soul such as myself.

    Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus,

  8. #8
    Senior Member BillG's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 15th, 2017
    Age
    49
    Posts
    3,130
    Rep Power
    158

    Default Re: Why did God hate Esau?

    Quote Originally Posted by eternally-gratefull View Post
    Hey bro, thanks for your response.

    I got my view from research, the term "Hate" in the Hebrew is not literally "hate" but is better translated as "love less"

    we see an example in the NT when jesus said if we do not hate our spouses, our parents and our kids, we can have no fellowship with him. Where he can not be telling us to hate anyone, he would be telling us to sin, WHat he is saying is we have to put God first above even them.

    God had a special place in his heart for Israel. They have always been his love, In this aspect.WHile your right, God loves all the same, He did have a special relationship with Jacob, That is what is in focus here. Not that God hated anyone.

    I hope this makes sense.
    ooh didn't think to look up the Hebrew.
    Its all Greek to me

    I agree that God had a special relationship with God.
    We know that Isaac was the son of Abraham and Jacob the son of Issac.
    And we all know the mistakes Jacob made.
    But he know that he held on to God and says "I will not let go until I get your blessing"

    Me thinks God knows who will be like Jacob, like David, like Peter.
    not perfect but boy we are going to hang on.

    Maybe that's why he chooses them because he knows before hand
    Lord

    Help me to be the person my dog thinks I am.

  9. #9
    Senior Member eternally-gratefull's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 14th, 2011
    Age
    52
    Posts
    46,697
    Rep Power
    277

    Default Re: Why did God hate Esau?

    Quote Originally Posted by BillG View Post
    ooh didn't think to look up the Hebrew.
    Its all Greek to me

    I agree that God had a special relationship with God.
    We know that Isaac was the son of Abraham and Jacob the son of Issac.
    And we all know the mistakes Jacob made.
    But he know that he held on to God and says "I will not let go until I get your blessing"

    Me thinks God knows who will be like Jacob, like David, like Peter.
    not perfect but boy we are going to hang on.

    Maybe that's why he chooses them because he knows before hand

    Well said, and I agree, foreknowledge is huge.
    unobtrusive likes this.
    Eternally Grateful for the grace God has shown a wretched soul such as myself.

    Rom 8:1 There is therefore now no condemnation to those who are in Christ Jesus,

  10. #10
    Senior Member unobtrusive's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 23rd, 2017
    Age
    69
    Posts
    864
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: Why did God hate Esau?

    Quote Originally Posted by Nehemiah6 View Post
    The history of the Edomites proves that they hated God.
    I agree God told Israel to pass through Edom.
    Deuteronomy 2:2-5
    God said to me: You have been skirting this hill country long enough, now turn north. And charge the people as follows: You will be passing through the territory of your kinsmen, the descendants of Esau who live in Seir. Though they will be afraid of you, be very careful not to provoke them. For I will not give you of their land so much as a foot can tread on; I have given the hill country of Seir as a possession to Esau.

    Seir is actually “Edom,” located south of the Dead Sea, today the Negeb (southern part) of Israel, also including the southern half of Jordan, Jordanian religion being close to 95% Sunni Islam.


    You shall not detest an Edomite, for he is your brother; you shall not detest an Egyptian, because you were an alien in his land. The sons of the third generation who are born to them may enter the assembly of the Lord. (Deuteronomy 23:7-8 NASB)

    Then the king of Edom flatly refused to allow that to happen, going directly against the instructions God gave to Israel. referring to this post


    Last edited by unobtrusive; September 11th, 2017 at 06:16 PM.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    August 17th, 2017
    Age
    37
    Posts
    138
    Rep Power
    2

    Default Re: Why did God hate Esau?

    what is wrong with Jacob? His brother was starving and he was eyeing up his inheritance... I know if I had a pot of soup going and my brother was hungry I would be saying eat up without cost

  12. #12
    Senior Member unobtrusive's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 23rd, 2017
    Age
    69
    Posts
    864
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: Why did God hate Esau?

    Quote Originally Posted by BillG View Post
    Hi EG,

    to be honest given my understanding Gods love is perfect.
    Perfect love casts out all fear.

    If God is true to himself and is constant therefore his love must be.
    For God so loved the world he gave his one and only son.

    So I would say he did not hate or love Esau less.

    But if his love is perfect and constant and he acts as he does then there must be a reason and purpose.

    In Genesis 33 we find Jacob and Esau met.

    And it seems that Esau had some kind of blessing

    Genesis 33:9-12
    9 “My brother, I have plenty,” Esau answered. “Keep what you have for yourself.”
    10 But Jacob insisted, “No, if I have found favor with you, please accept this gift from me. And what a relief to see your friendly smile. It is like seeing the face of God!11 Please take this gift I have brought you, for God has been very gracious to me. I have more than enough.” And because Jacob insisted, Esau finally accepted the gift.
    12 “Well,” Esau said, “let’s be going. I will lead the way.”

    God chose Abraham’s son Isaac instead of Abraham’s son Ishmael.
    Through which we are saved by faith.

    so to me it's not loving less but Gods love choosing one over another.

    I assume to work his purpose.
    The story of the reconciliation between Esau and Jacob (to me) is one of the most heart warming stories in the Bible. I paraphrased the following according to what I felt in my heart as I read the story. I actually got a lump in my throat as I read. It's a beautiful story of great love. Here's my take.

    Genesis 33:1-16
    Jacob looked up and saw Esau coming toward him with four hundred men. Jacob separated the children of Leah from Rachel’s children, with their maids, and put the children of their maids in front.

    Following were Leah’s children, and last were Rachel and Joseph. Jacob went before all of them, bowing seven times until he came to his brother. Esau actually ran to hug Jacob, then kissed him, both of them crying while they embraced each other.

    During their embrace, Esau looked up over the shoulder of Jacob, and asked, “Who are these with you?”
    Jacob said, “All these that you see are my God given family.” The maids with their children came near and bowed down before Esau. Next came Leah with her children, followed by Joseph, Rachel and her children, all of them bowing before Esau.

    Esau, not understanding these actions asked Jacob, “What do you mean by all this company which I have met?”
    Jacob’s response was, “To find favor with you.”
    “Oh brother,” said Esau, “I have plenty, keep what you already have.”
    Jacob replied, “Oh no, please, if now you are good with me, then please take my present I offer to you, because I see your face as one sees the face of God, because you have accepted me so graciously.”
    Jacob continued, “Please,... please take my gift which has been brought to you, because God has dealt graciously with me and because I have plenty.”

    After this urging of Jacob, Esau accepted his gifts.

    Then Esau said, “Let’s travel together and I will take the lead.”
    Jacob’s response was, “ You know that my children are frail, and my livestock are not even weaned yet. If I start to drive them, they will die. Go ahead, and I’ll take my time according to the pace of my children and cattle, and I’ll meet you at Seir.”

    Esau begged Jacob, “Please let me leave you some of my people to help you on as you travel.”
    “I don’t have any need for others.” Jacob replied. “Let’s depart from each other, and keep this memory of our time together, forever in our hearts.” So before the day was done, Esau went on his way to Seir.




    Last edited by unobtrusive; September 11th, 2017 at 06:27 PM.
    BillG and Rosemaryx like this.

  13. #13
    Senior Member unobtrusive's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 23rd, 2017
    Age
    69
    Posts
    864
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: Why did God hate Esau?

    Quote Originally Posted by eternally-gratefull View Post
    Hey bro, thanks for your response.

    I got my view from research, the term "Hate" in the Hebrew is not literally "hate" but is better translated as "love less"

    we see an example in the NT when jesus said if we do not hate our spouses, our parents and our kids, we can have no fellowship with him. Where he can not be telling us to hate anyone, he would be telling us to sin, WHat he is saying is we have to put God first above even them.

    God had a special place in his heart for Israel. They have always been his love, In this aspect.WHile your right, God loves all the same, He did have a special relationship with Jacob, That is what is in focus here. Not that God hated anyone.

    I hope this makes sense.
    Excellent comparison!!

  14. #14
    Senior Member unobtrusive's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 23rd, 2017
    Age
    69
    Posts
    864
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: Why did God hate Esau?

    Quote Originally Posted by Paisley_buddie View Post
    what is wrong with Jacob? His brother was starving and he was eyeing up his inheritance... I know if I had a pot of soup going and my brother was hungry I would be saying eat up without cost
    I think the hate thing, as eternallygratefull mentioned, has more to do with the nations of Israel and Edom (Esau) than the twin brothers as individual human beings. I think it has to do with the detestable things that Esau's descendants did, and even today concerning the Muslims hatred for Israel. One thing however. Jordan is not as hateful as Iran.

    Jordan's significance results partly from its strategic location at the crossroads of what all Christians, Jews and Muslims call the Holy Land. Jordan is a key ally of the US and, together with Egypt, one of only two Arab nations to have made peace with Israel.

    It appears to me that the story of Jacob and Esau continues to this day. The real enemy that God hates is the tactical resistance against God by the underworld persuasion of Satan. Maybe the king of Edom (in Biblical history) was doing just that by not allowing Israel to cross through the land of Edom as God said to do.

    Satan's tactics might be what is really hated. My thoughts.

    Magenta and Paisley_buddie like this.

  15. #15
    Senior Member Magenta's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 3rd, 2015
    Age
    62
    Posts
    18,745
    Rep Power
    410

    Default Re: Why did God hate Esau?

    Rebecca was told she had two nations in her womb.

    Jacob was renamed Israel, representing God's chosen people.



    Skip to about ten minutes, thirty seconds in
    unobtrusive likes this.


    Embrace the Grace and Rejoice in His Everlasting Mercy and Love

  16. #16
    Senior Member unobtrusive's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 23rd, 2017
    Age
    69
    Posts
    864
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: Why did God hate Esau?

    You ever noticed that God usually doesn't choose the first? If you have a thought on this, please share. We might see that it happens over and over. Judah over Levi for example. How would this play into the Gospel ya think?
    Last edited by unobtrusive; September 11th, 2017 at 07:01 PM.

  17. #17
    Senior Member oldhermit's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 28th, 2012
    Age
    63
    Posts
    8,181
    Rep Power
    81

    Default Re: Why did God hate Esau?

    Esau represents the classic profane mind. It is the mind that shows disrespect or contempt for things that are holy. The holy thing that was profaned was his relationship with the Lord which was represented by the blessing and the birthright. Esau becomes the poster boy for this type of disregard.
    * Esau demonstrated a higher regard for material concerns than for holy things.
    * Consequently, he lost not only his birthright, he lost his blessing also.
    * He found no place for repentance though he “sought it with tears.” The 'it' modifies the blessing not the repentance. Once the time to inherit had come, he could no longer lay claim to that which he had despised. There is no place left for repentance.
    * Access to the grace of God can be cut off. No one will see the Lord without it. We can “come up short,” “fail to obtain.” The 'today' of chapters 3 and 4 has passed beyond that person by reason of the hardness of heart.
    MarcR likes this.

  18. #18
    Senior Member Magenta's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 3rd, 2015
    Age
    62
    Posts
    18,745
    Rep Power
    410

    Default Re: Why did God hate Esau?

    Quote Originally Posted by unobtrusive View Post
    You ever noticed that God usually doesn't choose the first?
    It starts in Genesis chapter 4; Cain was the first born son of Adam and Eve, but God looked with favor upon the younger brother Abel.
    unobtrusive likes this.


    Embrace the Grace and Rejoice in His Everlasting Mercy and Love

  19. #19
    Senior Member Locutus's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 10th, 2017
    Age
    64
    Posts
    2,787
    Rep Power
    46

    Default Re: Why did God hate Esau?

    I love the way Esau gets defamed but the wiley Rebekah and Jacob come out smelling like Roses..
    BillG and unobtrusive like this.

  20. #20
    Senior Member unobtrusive's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 23rd, 2017
    Age
    69
    Posts
    864
    Rep Power
    17

    Default Re: Why did God hate Esau?

    Shem was the youngest son of Noah, and He is in the direct line of the lineage of Christ Jesus. Luke chapter 3 verse 36. "Which was the son of Cainan, which was the son of Arphaxad, which was the son of Sem, which was the son of Noe, which was the son of Lamech,"
    Magenta likes this.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Why does God hate Esau?
    By stonesoffire in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 272
    Last Post: May 8th, 2017, 08:00 PM
  2. Why Does God hate Esau/Edom?
    By LiveForRighteousness in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: July 10th, 2014, 12:11 AM
  3. I HATE HATE HATE HATE HATE being cute
    By cyphercat in forum Christian Poems & Poetry
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: February 6th, 2014, 10:47 PM
  4. Does God really hate Esau?
    By texascowgirl in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 40
    Last Post: September 13th, 2013, 04:14 PM
  5. WHO IS ESAU TODAY AND WHY DOES GOD HATE HIM.
    By yahuadah in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: August 6th, 2013, 03:46 AM