Results 1 to 19 of 19
Like Tree34Likes
  • 6 Post By seoulsearch
  • 2 Post By blue_ladybug
  • 3 Post By MichaelOwen
  • 5 Post By Tommy379
  • 1 Post By seoulsearch
  • 2 Post By Lynx
  • 1 Post By Lynx
  • 3 Post By NewStuff17
  • 1 Post By zeroturbulence
  • 2 Post By tourist
  • 1 Post By Dino246
  • 1 Post By Susanna
  • 2 Post By melita916
  • 1 Post By seoulsearch
  • 3 Post By Tommy379

Christian Singles Forum

Christian and single? Seek (or give) advice and encouragement here.

Thread: Would You Date A Friend or Relative's Ex, and if So, How Long After Their Breakup?

  1. #1
    Senior Member seoulsearch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 23rd, 2009
    Age
    44
    Posts
    10,447
    Rep Power
    228

    Default Would You Date A Friend or Relative's Ex, and if So, How Long After Their Breakup?

    Hey Everyone,

    If it's one thing I've learned over my time of being single, it's that very few couples stay together forever--which is all the more reason I admire the ones who do, because it is surely a superhuman feat that is solely enabled by God.

    However, for the rest of us mere mortals, it seems much more common (unfortunately) that most couples don't stay together, putting both people who were once involved "back on the market."

    * So what if someone that's become "available" again is someone that you think you really like... but the person they used to date was a good friend or relative of yours?

    * Would you still pursue/date them anyways?

    * How long would you wait until after their breakup in order to start something? A month? 6 months? A year or more?

    And, to make this conversation a little more controversial--something I've noticed as I get older is that a lot of people seem to be becoming available later in life either through the death of their spouse, or by divorce. (I realize that this is a scenario that will probably only resonate with some of the older posters out there.)

    * How would you feel about dating someone whose spouse had passed away, and their spouse had been a good friend or family member of yours?

    * How would you feel about dating a divorced person (someone with a Biblical reason for divorce and was cleared by the church to remarry) if their ex-spouse was a friend or close family member to you?

    * In either case, how long would you wait after the death or divorce in order to start dating?

    The reason I'm asking about this is because as I've gotten older... I've noticed that the dating pool seems to get a bit smaller and "intermingled"--especially in smaller communities--and it seems as if many people do seem to wind up with someone who is an ex of someone they are, or were, once close to.

    I personally don't think I could date someone in any of these scenarios, but, I don't want to judge anyone's choices because you never know what could happen in life.

    What are your thoughts?
    MissCris, Susanna, tourist and 3 others like this.
    "You say, you dream of my face...
    But you don't like me,
    You just like the chase." -- JoJo.


  2. #2
    Senior Member blue_ladybug's Avatar
    Join Date
    February 21st, 2014
    Age
    47
    Posts
    59,837
    Blog Entries
    8
    Rep Power
    406

    Default Re: Would You Date A Friend or Relative's Ex, and if So, How Long After Their Breakup

    My parents have been married since 1955, and the only reason they're still married is because they don't believe in divorce.. lol
    Waggles and MichaelOwen like this.



    Blue ladybug, fearless leader of the orange kitty battalion! She loves orange tabbies and is innocent as decreed by Pottersclay who states that Scripture says that all people who love orange tabbies are innocent. Truthtalk says that God created the world, and then He created wonderful orange tabbies. Joefizz has elected blue ladybug as captain of the brave orange kitty ​army!



    Quote Originally Posted by kaylagrl View Post
    ​ Orange kitties approve



  3. #3
    Senior Member MichaelOwen's Avatar
    Join Date
    November 6th, 2017
    Age
    29
    Posts
    672
    Rep Power
    57

    Default Re: Would You Date A Friend or Relative's Ex, and if So, How Long After Their Breakup

    Personally for me, I've always felt that if you truly had a liking towards someone that truly enlightened your heart, you tell them straight away. I wouldn't go right up to them after losing a loved one or right after a divorce or break up, because the heart needs time to heal. But the old saying goes, You snooze, you loose. And for me, in my heart, I'd have to get it off my chest, otherwise it pesters at me and it's never good to let something like that build up.
    Even if it was a good friend or a family member, there's a reason that relationship did not work out in the sight of the Lord, maybe he did not sanctify it, but that doesn't mean you cannot test the waters and see if he will sanctify a relationship you may have with that person. But for me, I'd have to let that person know that I care and pray for them first and foremost, and that Christ directs my life, regardless of where things may lead, and if he blessed me with a relationship or marriage, I would do my part as a Christian man in front of her.
    seoulsearch, MissCris and tourist like this.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Tommy379's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 12th, 2016
    Age
    38
    Posts
    4,731
    Rep Power
    121

    Default Re: Would You Date A Friend or Relative's Ex, and if So, How Long After Their Breakup

    I don't think I could get involved with any exes of family or friends. I don't want to violate the bro-code either. I live in a relatively small community, and it's very bad around here. The jealousy level is maxed out.

    Widows..... that's a different ball of wax. When my grandmother died, my grandfather started spending time with her best friend. That's fine. I'm sure grandma would have been down with it.
    Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

  5. #5
    Senior Member seoulsearch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 23rd, 2009
    Age
    44
    Posts
    10,447
    Rep Power
    228

    Default Re: Would You Date A Friend or Relative's Ex, and if So, How Long After Their Breakup

    Quote Originally Posted by Tommy379 View Post
    I don't think I could get involved with any exes of family or friends. I don't want to violate the bro-code either. I live in a relatively small community, and it's very bad around here. The jealousy level is maxed out.

    Widows..... that's a different ball of wax. When my grandmother died, my grandfather started spending time with her best friend. That's fine. I'm sure grandma would have been down with it.
    I have to say that I feel the same way. Two of my closest female friends are married and their spouses are like brothers to me. Even if, heaven forbid, the Lord decided to call one of my friends home, it would just be way. too. creepy. to me.

    I totally understand what you're saying though. Part of my inspiration for the threads I put up today has been watching my older family members honor their "'til death do us part" commitments in their marriages, then struggle with the loneliness that results in losing their spouse.

    They later found companionship with other people, sometimes the exes of a friend or family member, though one was with someone for some time who was also verbally abusive.

    I guess I was sad to see that no matter what stage of the game you're, and no many times you have to start over, you still have to be very careful, and willing to walk away if things aren't right.

    The more optimistic part of myself wanted to believe that because these people were older and had a lot of life experience, they would have either learned from their mistakes and chosen better situations and to better themselves, or they would have been able to walk away from bad situations a lot sooner.
    Tommy379 likes this.
    "You say, you dream of my face...
    But you don't like me,
    You just like the chase." -- JoJo.


  6. #6
    Senior Member Lynx's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 13th, 2014
    Age
    39
    Posts
    11,843
    Rep Power
    167

    Default Re: Would You Date A Friend or Relative's Ex, and if So, How Long After Their Breakup

    Oh, so, so many factors to consider, so many questions that can't really be answered until you get there...

    Will it hurt your friend's feelings if you date his ex?
    Will you care more about your friend's feelings or dating his ex?
    Will it hurt his ex if you want to date her but don't because of your friend?
    Will you discuss either ex with the other?
    Will you discuss with the ex how to date her without hurting your friend?
    If you did talk about how to date the ex relative to your friendship, would that make the situation better or worse?

    Sorry Kim, this one can never be answered until it happens, IF it happens. Even if it has happened before to the same person, each situation is always different.
    seoulsearch and MissCris like this.
    "Do you sing at church?"
    "Yes I sing at church. And I sing at work. And I sing at home... and in the car... at the supermarket... at Wal-Mart..."

  7. #7
    Senior Member Lynx's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 13th, 2014
    Age
    39
    Posts
    11,843
    Rep Power
    167

    Default Re: Would You Date A Friend or Relative's Ex, and if So, How Long After Their Breakup

    Mind you, I'm not saying the question should not be asked. Sometimes it is better to consider these matters before you get there. You can't get to an answer until you get to the situation, but at least you can nail down what variables you are considering. This thread has a net balance of being a good thing. Discussing this question is a lot better than being hit with the situation and just randomly guessing at what is best to do off-the-cuff.
    seoulsearch likes this.
    "Do you sing at church?"
    "Yes I sing at church. And I sing at work. And I sing at home... and in the car... at the supermarket... at Wal-Mart..."

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    December 30th, 2017
    Age
    38
    Posts
    59
    Rep Power
    0

    Default Re: Would You Date A Friend or Relative's Ex, and if So, How Long After Their Breakup

    There's got to be a serious attraction to make me do that. I almost certainly would not date any family member or friend's ex whether they were married or just dating.

    If I did do it, I would try to give them as much time as it seems they needed. At some point I'd make my attraction known though. I'd more inclined to date them if the ex had died. A living ex would make me uncomfortable. But then again, if that guy seemed to be the one for me sent by God, then we just have to move away and live happily ever after.

    Having said that, I know of a situation like this. A man married a woman whom he didn't love. When he met her sister, he knew he had made a mistake. He only stayed married to his wife to be close to the sister. The sister didn't seem to notice. She just thought he was very kind. Although he was still still married, he died early and lonely. The sister is dying and lonely too.

  9. #9
    Senior Member zeroturbulence's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 2nd, 2009
    Age
    52
    Posts
    19,171
    Blog Entries
    21
    Rep Power
    216

    Default Re: Would You Date A Friend or Relative's Ex, and if So, How Long After Their Breakup

    When I was in my 20's I once was interested in a friend's ex and I asked him if she's seeing anyone (he was the one who broke it off with her because he said she was getting too "serious" for him, I think she was hoping they'd get married)... Anyway, he was not only happy to give me her number but he said he would even put in a good word for me...

    But I was too shy to actually call and ask her out..

    I don't think I could do that sort of thing now. Back when I was young it wasn't that big of a deal because everyone was still dating I guess..
    tourist likes this.
    My dad was the greatest dad I could have ever asked for. Thank you, Dad..

    "If you talk about scripture more than you talk about God, then you've missed the point".
    - A Retired Minister
    Quote Originally Posted by loverofjesus27 View Post
    Who owns this site? Why is it bad to have fun?? And where is Harpy Eagle ??

    Quote Originally Posted by joefizz View Post
    Milk talk who in the land of taco are you posting to?

  10. #10
    Senior Member tourist's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 13th, 2014
    Age
    63
    Posts
    18,921
    Blog Entries
    5
    Rep Power
    398

    Default Re: Would You Date A Friend or Relative's Ex, and if So, How Long After Their Breakup

    Quote Originally Posted by NewStuff17 View Post
    There's got to be a serious attraction to make me do that. I almost certainly would not date any family member or friend's ex whether they were married or just dating.

    If I did do it, I would try to give them as much time as it seems they needed. At some point I'd make my attraction known though. I'd more inclined to date them if the ex had died. A living ex would make me uncomfortable. But then again, if that guy seemed to be the one for me sent by God, then we just have to move away and live happily ever after.

    Having said that, I know of a situation like this. A man married a woman whom he didn't love. When he met her sister, he knew he had made a mistake. He only stayed married to his wife to be close to the sister. The sister didn't seem to notice. She just thought he was very kind. Although he was still still married, he died early and lonely. The sister is dying and lonely too.
    Sounds like Romeo and Juliette which was another tragic romance.
    zeroturbulence and NewStuff17 like this.
    M & M's melt in your mouth and not in your hands.

  11. #11
    Senior Member Lynx's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 13th, 2014
    Age
    39
    Posts
    11,843
    Rep Power
    167

    Default Re: Would You Date A Friend or Relative's Ex, and if So, How Long After Their Breakup

    Quote Originally Posted by zeroturbulence View Post
    When I was in my 20's I once was interested in a friend's ex and I asked him if she's seeing anyone (he was the one who broke it off with her because he said she was getting too "serious" for him, I think she was hoping they'd get married)... Anyway, he was not only happy to give me her number but he said he would even put in a good word for me...

    But I was too shy to actually call and ask her out..

    I don't think I could do that sort of thing now. Back when I was young it wasn't that big of a deal because everyone was still dating I guess..
    You never know, you might have dodged a bullet there. I can imagine somebody doing that for a "friend" and chuckling to himself, "Let's see how HE manages that hateful old bat!" ("Old bat" substituted for things that would be less appropriate in a christian forum, but more likely to be used.)
    "Do you sing at church?"
    "Yes I sing at church. And I sing at work. And I sing at home... and in the car... at the supermarket... at Wal-Mart..."

  12. #12
    Senior Member Lighthearted's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 17th, 2016
    Age
    47
    Posts
    679
    Rep Power
    59

    Default Re: Would You Date A Friend or Relative's Ex, and if So, How Long After Their Breakup

    Depends on the situation, the people involved, and most importantly God's answer.
    Is your Jesus light shining?

  13. #13
    Senior Member Dino246's Avatar
    Join Date
    July 1st, 2015
    Age
    47
    Posts
    3,755
    Rep Power
    169

    Default Re: Would You Date A Friend or Relative's Ex, and if So, How Long After Their Breakup

    I have a good friend, an older man who is married for the second time. They knew each other when they were married to other people, both of whom passed away. After about a year they started talking, and realized that they were highly compatible. Now unless you knew the details, you'd never guess they hadn't been married since the beginning.

    I think it's a different situation when there was a divorce, than when there was a death. I simply would not date a friend's ex-wife. In one case I can think of, I know what kind of person she is... or should I say what unkind of person.

    I have a pretty good idea what my ex says to others about me, so I suspect none of her friends would date me. I don't know any of her friends who aren't married so it's never been an issue.
    seoulsearch likes this.

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    January 21st, 2013
    Age
    41
    Posts
    2,402
    Rep Power
    70

    Default Re: Would You Date A Friend or Relative's Ex, and if So, How Long After Their Breakup

    Quote Originally Posted by seoulsearch View Post
    Hey Everyone,

    If it's one thing I've learned over my time of being single, it's that very few couples stay together forever--which is all the more reason I admire the ones who do, because it is surely a superhuman feat that is solely enabled by God.

    However, for the rest of us mere mortals, it seems much more common (unfortunately) that most couples don't stay together, putting both people who were once involved "back on the market."

    * So what if someone that's become "available" again is someone that you think you really like... but the person they used to date was a good friend or relative of yours?

    * Would you still pursue/date them anyways?

    * How long would you wait until after their breakup in order to start something? A month? 6 months? A year or more?

    And, to make this conversation a little more controversial--something I've noticed as I get older is that a lot of people seem to be becoming available later in life either through the death of their spouse, or by divorce. (I realize that this is a scenario that will probably only resonate with some of the older posters out there.)

    * How would you feel about dating someone whose spouse had passed away, and their spouse had been a good friend or family member of yours?

    * How would you feel about dating a divorced person (someone with a Biblical reason for divorce and was cleared by the church to remarry) if their ex-spouse was a friend or close family member to you?

    * In either case, how long would you wait after the death or divorce in order to start dating?

    The reason I'm asking about this is because as I've gotten older... I've noticed that the dating pool seems to get a bit smaller and "intermingled"--especially in smaller communities--and it seems as if many people do seem to wind up with someone who is an ex of someone they are, or were, once close to.

    I personally don't think I could date someone in any of these scenarios, but, I don't want to judge anyone's choices because you never know what could happen in life.

    What are your thoughts?
    I wouldn't date anyone.

    After all these years I'm so used to being alone and do as I please.
    seoulsearch likes this.
    AWV

  15. #15
    Senior Member melita916's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 13th, 2011
    Age
    34
    Posts
    8,608
    Rep Power
    131

    Default Re: Would You Date A Friend or Relative's Ex, and if So, How Long After Their Breakup

    "mark" and "Samantha" were engaged. due to drama, they broke off the engagement. shortly after, Samantha started hanging out a lot with jack. and yes, we all went to the same church.

    one day, jack texted me asking if was available to talk. sure! turned out, jack and Samantha were trying to have a relationship, but Edward, our other friend, told jack he shouldn't because of the recent engagement. I told him, "I don't think it's a good idea considering mark is our friend." Jack replied, "I spoke with Mark. he said he's ok with it." meeeeeeeeeeeh.

    I think the relationship lasted about a month after that conversation. cuz. drama.

    lol
    seoulsearch and Tommy379 like this.
    ~cheers~

    "I will sing to the Lord for He has been good to me." -Psalm 13:6

  16. #16
    Senior Member seoulsearch's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 23rd, 2009
    Age
    44
    Posts
    10,447
    Rep Power
    228

    Default Re: Would You Date A Friend or Relative's Ex, and if So, How Long After Their Breakup

    Quote Originally Posted by melita916 View Post
    "mark" and "Samantha" were engaged. due to drama, they broke off the engagement. shortly after, Samantha started hanging out a lot with jack. and yes, we all went to the same church.

    one day, jack texted me asking if was available to talk. sure! turned out, jack and Samantha were trying to have a relationship, but Edward, our other friend, told jack he shouldn't because of the recent engagement. I told him, "I don't think it's a good idea considering mark is our friend." Jack replied, "I spoke with Mark. he said he's ok with it." meeeeeeeeeeeh.

    I think the relationship lasted about a month after that conversation. cuz. drama.

    lol
    I have learned over time (and a lot of trial and error... mostly error) that almost anytime someone says, "I'm ok with it," regarding a highly emotional situation...

    They're really not ok with it.

    At all.
    Tommy379 likes this.
    "You say, you dream of my face...
    But you don't like me,
    You just like the chase." -- JoJo.


  17. #17
    Senior Member Tommy379's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 12th, 2016
    Age
    38
    Posts
    4,731
    Rep Power
    121

    Default Re: Would You Date A Friend or Relative's Ex, and if So, How Long After Their Breakup

    Quote Originally Posted by melita916 View Post
    "mark" and "Samantha" were engaged. due to drama, they broke off the engagement. shortly after, Samantha started hanging out a lot with jack. and yes, we all went to the same church.

    one day, jack texted me asking if was available to talk. sure! turned out, jack and Samantha were trying to have a relationship, but Edward, our other friend, told jack he shouldn't because of the recent engagement. I told him, "I don't think it's a good idea considering mark is our friend." Jack replied, "I spoke with Mark. he said he's ok with it." meeeeeeeeeeeh.

    I think the relationship lasted about a month after that conversation. cuz. drama.

    lol
    So we should stay away from Samantha.
    Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

  18. #18
    Senior Member garet82's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 20th, 2011
    Age
    35
    Posts
    557
    Rep Power
    9

    Default Re: Would You Date A Friend or Relative's Ex, and if So, How Long After Their Breakup

    never lol thats the bad idea n never come to my mind

  19. #19
    Senior Member Waggles's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 21st, 2017
    Age
    63
    Posts
    917
    Rep Power
    50

    Default Re: Would You Date A Friend or Relative's Ex, and if So, How Long After Their Breakup

    Quote Originally Posted by seoulsearch View Post
    Hey Everyone,
    * So what if someone that's become "available" again is someone that you think you really like... but the person they used to date was a good friend or relative of yours?
    * Would you still pursue/date them anyways? What are your thoughts?
    You are swimming in shark filled waters.
    Are you looking for trouble?

    Always pray for the Lord to provide you with a suitable spouse.
    Never do things in your own strength.

    from a wise old man
    for necessity is laid upon me; yea, woe is unto me, if I preach not the gospel!
    1Corinthians 9:16

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 56
    Last Post: August 8th, 2017, 06:57 AM
  2. Are facts relative? AKA Relative Truth
    By violakat in forum Christian Singles Forum
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: January 3rd, 2015, 11:19 AM
  3. Long distance breakup
    By jsr1221 in forum Christian Singles Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: August 2nd, 2014, 10:26 PM
  4. Can A Dead Relative Or Friend Come Back To Help Or Harm You?
    By Swingalong in forum Bible Discussion Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: December 1st, 2013, 01:55 AM
  5. Replies: 71
    Last Post: April 11th, 2013, 02:19 AM