τίς in Titus 1:6

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
I personally see no difference,
Apparently, someone else does, because (as you yourself say) ...

The verse says the man of one wife.
Pretty hard to shimmy a woman into that.

We do know that all historical context, whether Jew, Roman, or Greek gave no equal rights whatsoever to women.
So, we should reinterpret and reevaluate the Scripture to better accommodate the modern age?

Mar 4, 2020
Apparently, someone else does, because (as you yourself say) ...

Pretty hard to shimmy a woman into that.

So, we should reinterpret and reevaluate the Scripture to better accommodate the modern age?
We have an example of what an overseer of the church is though if we accept that’s what Paul was since that’s what he did.

Paul wasn’t known to have been married or have any biological children. Despite being blameless as one of the qualifications for an overseer, Paul readily admitted to his sins. I think that says something about what Paul meant to convey.

oyster67

May 24, 2014
We have an example of what an overseer of the church is though if we accept that’s what Paul was since that’s what he did.

Paul wasn’t known to have been married or have any biological children. Despite being blameless as one of the qualifications for an overseer, Paul readily admitted to his sins. I think that says something about what Paul meant to convey.
I completely hear you on that. Paul himself did not qualify for every position. According to Paul's writings, even Jesus Himself did not qualify for some positions. That does not nullify the clear qualifications given in the Scripture. I am disqualified from the ministry due to my being single. I am not going to get bent over it. I'll just bloom where I'm planted. As for what Paul meant to convey, I think it is clear. Lets take it at face value and not try to contort it to whatever suits the current fancy of the modern age.

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
Titus 1:5-6 . . The reason I left you in Crete was that you might straighten
out what was left unfinished and appoint elders in every town, as I directed
you. An elder must be blameless, the husband of but one wife

That plus 1Tim 3:2 and 1Tim 3:12, may be the only places in the New
Testament where polygamy is clearly forbidden.

If we compare it to Deut 17:14-17, the restriction seems to be specifically
related to men in positions of authority rather than ordinary guys.
_

Pilgrimshope

Sep 2, 2020
just to clarify, I understand fully that the context demands the masculine gender. That is NOT what I am asking. What I want to know is if one wished to argue from a point of grammar that since τίς is indefinite, this could also imply women, what possible argument could they make? Forget for a moment that the remainder of the text even exists and focus just on the phrase εἴ τίς ἐστιν ἀνέγκλητος.
Forget for a moment that the remainder of the text even exists and focus just on the phrase εἴ τίς ἐστιν ἀνέγκλητος.

I don’t think it works like that in any language look at the context in the Greek of all the other verses leading into and out of that sentance that’s what’s going to answer your question about that sentance and how it should be received

oyster67

May 24, 2014
Titus 1:5-6 . . The reason I left you in Crete was that you might straighten
out what was left unfinished and appoint elders in every town, as I directed
you. An elder must be blameless, the husband of but one wife

That plus 1Tim 3:2 and 1Tim 3:12, may be the only places in the New
Testament where polygamy is clearly forbidden.

If we compare it to Deut 17:14-17, the restriction seems to be specifically
related to men in positions of authority rather than ordinary guys.
_
Matthew 19:5
“And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?”

If Jesus had intended polygamy, surely He would have said "cleave to his wives."
"Twain" would also imply one man and one woman, yes?

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
I completely hear you on that. Paul himself did not qualify for every position. According to Paul's writings, even Jesus Himself did not qualify for some positions. That does not nullify the clear qualifications given in the Scripture. I am disqualified from the ministry due to my being single. I am not going to get bent over it. I'll just bloom where I'm planted. As for what Paul meant to convey, I think it is clear. Lets take it at face value and not try to contort it to whatever suits the current fancy of the modern age.
I like that 'bloom where your planted' part. Paul writes about that too, being content with the circumstances and situations that he faced, doing the best that he can with what God had provided for him.

Webers.Home

May 28, 2018
Oregon
cfbac.org
Matthew 19:5 “And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother,
and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?”

If Jesus had intended polygamy, surely He would have said "cleave to his
wives." "Twain" would also imply one man and one woman, yes?

Polygamy isn't clearly forbidden in Matt 9:5, nor in Gen 2:24, nor in 1Cor 7:2.
_

Mar 4, 2020
Actually, it seems to me that Paul performed the duties of an elder/overseer/shepherd in the church. While he didn’t seem to stay at any one particular congregation for long, he traveled around and revisited churches he had planted and planted new churches.

That’s what I meant that Paul had a message to convey. I don’t think being married is required to be an elder, nor having children, but if one is married with children then there are regulations for that. It also says something about what it means to be blameless.