“No lie is of the truth” – Really?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
D

dataylor

The apostle John wrote how there is only one single Christian “truth”—and all who deny that single truth are not of God:

I have not written to you because you do not know the truth, but because you do know it, and because no lie is of the truth. Whois the liar but the one who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist [Greek:eek:ne who opposes Christ], the one who denies [Greek:contradicts] the Father and the Son. (I John 2:21-22).

Now watch as theologian Albert Barnes brilliantly unmasks our modern "Christianity," which is composed of thousands of differing and contradictory doctrines and beliefs:

No lie is of the truth – No form of error, however plausible it may appear, however ingeniously it may be defended and however much it may seem to be favorable to human virtue and happiness, can be founded in truth.What the apostle says here has somewhat the aspect of a truism, but it contains a real truth of vital importance, and one which should have great influence in determining our minds in regard to any proposed opinion or doctrine.

Error often appears plausible. It seems to be adapted to relieve the mind of many difficulties which perplex and embarrass it on the subject of religion. It seems to be adapted to promote religion. It seems to make those who embrace it happy, and for a time they apparently enjoy religion. But John says that however plausible all this may be, however much it may seem to prove that the doctrines thus embraced are of God, it is a great and vital maxim that no error can have its foundation in truth, and, of course, that it must be worthless.

The grand question is, “what is truth;” and when that is determined, we can easily settle the inquiries which come up about the various doctrines that are abroad in the world. Mere plausible appearances, or temporary good results that may grow out of a doctrine, do not prove that it is based on truth; for whatever those results may be, it is impossible that any error, however plausible, should have its origin in the truth”

Perhaps Mr. Barnes has “nailed” the reason why organized Christianity favors the following beliefs, all of which are plainly contradicted by the words of Jesus Christ:

• That humans who die "lost" can never be saved and are condemned to Hell
  • The acceptance of a hierarchical ministry in the Christian church
  • A future Tribulation and Second Coming
  • The view that states the thoughts of apostles carry the same weight as the words of Jesus Christ
  • That people are called to Christ through solely through the work of evangelism

Your thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:
A

atwhatcost

The apostle John wrote how there is only one single Christian “truth”—and all who deny that single truth are not of God:

I have not written to you because you do not know the truth, but because you do know it, and because no lie is of the truth. Whois the liar but the one who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist [Greek:eek:ne who opposes Christ], the one who denies [Greek:contradicts] the Father and the Son. (I John 2:21-22).

Now watch as theologian Albert Barnes brilliantly unmasks our modern "Christianity," which is composed of thousands of differing and contradictory doctrines and beliefs:

No lie is of the truth – No form of error, however plausible it may appear, however ingeniously it may be defended and however much it may seem to be favorable to human virtue and happiness, can be founded in truth.What the apostle says here has somewhat the aspect of a truism, but it contains a real truth of vital importance, and one which should have great influence in determining our minds in regard to any proposed opinion or doctrine.

Error often appears plausible. It seems to be adapted to relieve the mind of many difficulties which perplex and embarrass it on the subject of religion. It seems to be adapted to promote religion. It seems to make those who embrace it happy, and for a time they apparently enjoy religion. But John says that however plausible all this may be, however much it may seem to prove that the doctrines thus embraced are of God, it is a great and vital maxim that no error can have its foundation in truth, and, of course, that it must be worthless.

The grand question is, “what is truth;” and when that is determined, we can easily settle the inquiries which come up about the various doctrines that are abroad in the world. Mere plausible appearances, or temporary good results that may grow out of a doctrine, do not prove that it is based on truth; for whatever those results may be, it is impossible that any error, however plausible, should have its origin in the truth”

Perhaps Mr. Barnes has “nailed” the reason why organized Christianity favors the following beliefs, all of which are plainly contradicted by the words of Jesus Christ:

• The view that states the thoughts of apostles carry the same weight as the words of Jesus Christ
  • That people are called to Christ through solely through the work of evangelism

Your thoughts?
He's right. No lie is of the truth. So, what did you do? Add six of your own lies after quoting what he said. You're obviously a heretic. Boy you made that easy.

I'm gullible, but not that gullible.

D

dataylor

Would you like to see Christ's statements proving those points? Or would you rather not know?

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012

Your thoughts?
I'm glad I started reading this post from the bottom up...well here's my verdict...

business-man-silhouette-computer-thumb-down-24259482.jpg

A

atwhatcost

Would you like to see Christ's statements proving those points? Or would you rather not know?
You're going to prove stuff you DON'T believe? That's interesting. Go for it.

F

FreeNChrist

Your thoughts?
My thought is that every lie is a lie against the truth....and there are lies against the truth in your conclusions.

A

atwhatcost

Soooo, I'm waiting. (Honestly. I keep coming back to this post to see if I misread something. Surely you didn't say what it looks like you said. And yet, I can't make it look like anything else but lies. So, I really am waiting, because I have a hard time believing anyone can believe that amount of bologna and it still fits in the frig.)

Yet

Banned
Jan 4, 2014
The only one that I agree is an error is the hierarchical cleric falsehood.

Feb 9, 2010
Why boastest thou thyself in mischief, O mighty man? the goodness of God endureth continually. [SUP]2 [/SUP]The tongue deviseth mischiefs; like a sharp razor, working deceitfully.
[SUP]3 [/SUP]Thou lovest evil more than good; and lying rather than to speak righteousness. Selah.
[SUP]4 [/SUP]Thou lovest all devouring words, O thou deceitful tongue.
[SUP]5 [/SUP]God shall likewise destroy thee for ever, he shall take thee away, and pluck thee out of thy dwelling place, and root thee out of the land of the living. Selah(Psalm 52:1-5).

Some people say what is truth,like those occult people,who interpret the Bible incorrectly,and honor the nature,God,which is not a personal God,but an impersonal God,who say there is no absolute truth.

But the truth is this,that a personal God created all things,and creation testifies that He exists so people are without excuse,and testify that He is powerful,intelligent,and good,for He provided for our needs,and since He is good and loves people we should do the same.

So the truth is since a personal God created all things,and owns all things,then whatever He lays down as truth is truth,which the truth is this that you worship Him in the truth,and do good,which love is the fulfilling of the law.The truth is that God exists,and you act however He wants you to act,and you believe whatever He says is reality,for other than what God says is reality is a lie.

People that believe in a reality other than what God told us is a lie,and made believe stories,for why do you boast yourself in mischief,for the goodness of God endures for ever,and when it is all said and done,and God puts an end to evil,God's goodness and His truth will go on forever,and all made up stories,and all false believes,and untruths,that came from the vain imaginations of people,will have no place in reality,and be no more.

wattie

Feb 24, 2009
New Zealand

Your thoughts?
1) Humans who die lost won't be in heaven? OF COURSE! If someone is rejecting Christ till the day they die, God is supposed to 'let them in anyway?'

2)... oh actually no I won't bother :)

Dec 12, 2013
1. That's what the bible teaches and will be pulled from hell, judged and cast into the lake of fire....
2. Only one head of the Lord's churches....Jesus is the head of every body of believers
3. The bible teaches both a Great Tribulation at the end of the age and a Second Coming (parousia-body presence) of Christ
4. The bible from front to back is the word of God given by God through human agents....it is all equal in weight and authority as the word of God!
5. Day unto day and night unto night utters speech and anyone can pick up a bible and come to the knowledge of the truth....

D

dataylor

OK everyone, here it is:

* That humans who die "lost" can never be saved and are condemned to Hell

See Isaiah 45:22-23, John 12:32, I Timothy 2:4

* The acceptance of a hierarchical ministry in the Christian church

See Matthew 20:25-28, Matthew 23:81-0

* A future Tribulation and Second Coming

Matthew 16:28, Matthew 26:63-64

* The view that states the thoughts of apostles carry the same weight as the words of Jesus Christ

Matthew 28:19-20, John 10:16, John 10:27

* That people are called to Christ through solely through the work of evangelism

John 6:44-45, 65

A

atwhatcost

OK everyone, here it is:

* That humans who die "lost" can never be saved and are condemned to Hell

See Isaiah 45:22-23, John 12:32, I Timothy 2:4

* The acceptance of a hierarchical ministry in the Christian church

See Matthew 20:25-28, Matthew 23:81-0

* A future Tribulation and Second Coming

Matthew 16:28, Matthew 26:63-64

* The view that states the thoughts of apostles carry the same weight as the words of Jesus Christ

Matthew 28:19-20, John 10:16, John 10:27

* That people are called to Christ through solely through the work of evangelism

John 6:44-45, 65
That's not the lie I've been waiting for you to prove. This is:

That was just the pretend-this-is-so-to-make-me-look-commonly-knowledgeable.