“This is the gate of the Lord”

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

JaumeJ

Jul 2, 2011
I could argue with you, R33, but why, you are right. I believe you will also love to review the blessing given Abraham, when God told Abraham that his descendants would "possess the Gate of their enemies." Of couree that Gate is Jesus Christ. It could be now other. The manner of possessing that Gate is the fact that Jesus was descended from them from the tribe of Judah.

Praise God for this blessing of understanding.

Every time I bring this up, I get yelled at, but let’s give it another go:

I have explained to you folks that heaven is what our lives turn into when we repent of our sin, using this Bible verse as evidence:

From that time Jesus began to preach, saying, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand." Matt 4:17 RSV

Well, guess what? I found another:

[19] Open to me the gates of righteousness,
that I may enter through them
and give thanks to the LORD.
[20] This is the gate of the LORD;
the righteous shall enter through it. Psalm 118:19-20 RSV

Dec 19, 2009
John 14:

2"In My Father's house are many dwelling places; if it were not so, I would have told you; for I go to prepare a place for you. 3"If I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also. 4"And you know the way where I am going."
Do you think Jesus is talking literally or figuratively here?

Dec 19, 2009
' Heaven is what our lives turn into when we repent of our sin?' Your life may be Heaven but there are millions of Christians round the world who would disagree including those being under persecution for their faith.
What is there to fear?

Dec 19, 2009
You want to know what heaven is? It's life, God said choose life so you may live. You're all alive but your yet to have life.
I agree that heaven is life. The Lord is the life-giver. He's asking us to repent of our sin.

C

Called4Christ

Do you think Jesus is talking literally or figuratively here?
What would the figurative interpretation be?

I take this literally. He is literally talking about going away, and he literally did go away (died).

Dec 19, 2009
What would the figurative interpretation be?

I take this literally. He is literally talking about going away, and he literally did go away (died).
If you can picture a world that is spiritual, then maybe you can see how the Lord will have different groups of people. He prepares a life for each group. Take a church, for example. He has a life for people in this church, and a life for people in that church, and so on.

T

Tintin

Heaven is what our lives turn into when we repent of our sin.
Nope. Heaven begins when we repent of our sin and trust Jesus to be our Lord. It's all about Christ and Him crucified. Heaven finds its completion in the New Heavens and New Earth, after Jesus returns for the second and last time.

Dec 19, 2009
Nope. Heaven begins when we repent of our sin and trust Jesus to be our Lord. It's all about Christ and Him crucified. Heaven finds its completion in the New Heavens and New Earth, after Jesus returns for the second and last time.
If what you say is true, people have been waiting around thousands of years for heaven to become complete, and it hasn't happened yet, has it? I think each one of us can have heaven right now.

Feb 9, 2010
The Bible does say that the kingdom of God comes without observation,for they will not say here it is,or there it is,for the kingdom of God is within you,and when you have the Holy Spirit then you display the kingdom of God,His ways,to the world.

But there is an actual place where the saints will go that is not on this earth,for Jesus said He went away to prepare a place for us,that where He is,we can be there with Him,and God said He is making a new heaven,and a new earth,the New Jerusalem,and the current heaven,and earth,will pass away.

But we cannot enter heaven unless we are righteous,for the Bible says no person can enter heaven,unless they are righteous,which would be by the Holy Spirit,which is not only an inward righteousness,but outward too,for if God did not like sin so much that Jesus had to die to take away our sins,how can we have an outward appearance of unrighteousness,and only claim Jesus,which the Bible says that they that name the name of Christ,have to depart from iniquity.

And if Jesus takes away our sins,and we sin then how did He take it away at that point,and if we claim Christ,but do not have to worry about living without sin,then Jesus did not have to die for us.

T

Tintin

If what you say is true, people have been waiting around thousands of years for heaven to become complete, and it hasn't happened yet, has it? I think each one of us can have heaven right now.
Does this sound like the world in which we live to you?

"He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.”

Revelation 21:4

I don't think we're quite there yet.

Not much of a hope in Christ if this fallen world is all there is. Heaven begins now for the believer, but that's not the end of the story.

May 15, 2013
Every time I bring this up, I get yelled at, but let’s give it another go:

I have explained to you folks that heaven is what our lives turn into when we repent of our sin, using this Bible verse as evidence:

From that time Jesus began to preach, saying, "Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand." Matt 4:17 RSV

Well, guess what? I found another:

[19] Open to me the gates of righteousness,
that I may enter through them
and give thanks to the LORD.
[20] This is the gate of the LORD;
the righteous shall enter through it. Psalm 118:19-20 RSV
John 14:6 Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

Matthew 16:24 Then Jesus said to his disciples, “Whoever wants to be my disciple must deny themselves and take up their cross and follow

M

Miri

Years ago I remember learning a new version of amazing grace,
the words were the same but put to a more joyful faster tune.

The refrain inbetween each verse was

Ohhh..oh..ohh..ohh..
Heaven is in my heart
Ohhh..oh..ohh..ohh..
Heaven is in my heart

Amazing grace how sweet the sound that saved a wretch like me
I once was lost but now am found, was blind but now I see

Hallulajah
Ohhh..oh..ohh..ohh..
Heaven is in my heart
Ohhh..oh..ohh..ohh..
Heaven is in my heart

etc

I think when we are born again then heaven is in our hearts as it is our eternal
destiny and we are on a journey. But the journey part of it is in this life.

I don't think our lives on earth turn into heaven, to be honest the last few years
has been hell. Hopefully heaven will not be like that. :)

Dec 19, 2009
Does this sound like the world in which we live to you?

"He will wipe away every tear from their eyes, and death shall be no more, neither shall there be mourning, nor crying, nor pain anymore, for the former things have passed away.”

Revelation 21:4I don't think we're quite there yet.

Not much of a hope in Christ if this fallen world is all there is. Heaven begins now for the believer, but that's not the end of the story.
I can sort of agree with what you are saying, but remember that we are not of this world. Our world is a spiritual one. We are beginners, but this spiritual world is real.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
What about 1 Corinthians 15 starting at about verse 19?

1 Corinthians 15:19 If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
1 Corinthians 15:26 The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death.

Grandpa

Jun 24, 2011
1 Corinthians 15:42-44
[SUP]42 [/SUP]So also is the resurrection of the dead. It is sown in corruption; it is raised in incorruption:
[SUP]43 [/SUP]It is sown in dishonour; it is raised in glory: it is sown in weakness; it is raised in power:
[SUP]44 [/SUP]It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. There is a natural body, and there is a spiritual body.

T

Tintin

I can sort of agree with what you are saying, but remember that we are not of this world. Our world is a spiritual one. We are beginners, but this spiritual world is real.
No. The final destination for every follower of Christ is the New Heavens and the New Earth. It'll be a perfect blending of the physical and spiritual worlds. Stop trying to over-spiritualise things. That's Gnosticism.

Dec 19, 2009
No. The final destination for every follower of Christ is the New Heavens and the New Earth. It'll be a perfect blending of the physical and spiritual worlds. Stop trying to over-spiritualise things. That's Gnosticism.
I don’t have the slightest idea what Gnosticism is, but I do know that when I sin I am not happy, and when I refrain from sinning I am happy.

Dec 19, 2009
You use the word “Gnosticism.” I am not in to labels.