1st century rapture? possible or heresy?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

posthuman

Jul 31, 2013
in Matt. 16:4 Christ said 'this generation' asks for a sign, but it won't be given one except for the sign of Jonah --

i think this leads to an interpretation of 'generation' a bit broader than 70 years.

Bookends

Aug 28, 2012
how should I interpret Matt 10:23 or 24:34?
It says there that the Last Day would happen before Jesus' generation passed away, and before the gospel could even reach all of the cities in Israel.
If these verses are at all literal, that would be before 100 AD
Matthew 24 has to deal with the destruction of the temple, 70AD, not the end of the global world...

Nov 13, 2012
A biblical generation is 40 years in round numbers (a little under 42 if you divide the 14 generations from Babylonian captivity). So this prophecy of Christ was literally fulfilled. The Passion of Christ was upon Friday, April 13, A.D. 29 with the Resurrection upon Sunday the 15th. The Day of Pentecost came upon Sunday, June 3 of A.D. 29. So, it was 41 years, 2 months from the Day of Pentecost to the Temple being burnt and destroyed on Sunday, August 3 70 A.D. Some (perhaps many) of Christ's own generation would have still been alive during the Siege and been in their 70s and 80s.

Katy-follower

Jun 25, 2011
The Ten virgins are a type for the church, a parable that says, you need truth, in order to know the difference between the false Christ and the True Christ. The 5 foolish didn't have truth, and when the time came for the True, Bridegroom to arrive, they were shut out. Basically, because they were found with child . Meaning they were Not faithful to the True Christ; but rather, they fell for the deception of the fake.
Matthew 25:11-13 is connected with Matthew 7:21–23.

Matthew 25:11-13: “Afterward the other virgins came also, saying, ‘Lord, Lord, open to us!’ But he answered and said, ‘Assuredly, I say to you, I do not know you.’ “Watch therefore, for you know neither the day nor the hour in which the Son of Man is coming"

Matthew 7:21-23: "Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!’

The connection between these two scriptures are those very words "I never knew you" so clearly these people were never saved. They may have called themselves Christians but they were never saved by the blood of Jesus. They were false believers.

One day it will be too late. The door to salvation will one day be closed. Just like the virgins that knocked on the door asking Him to open it and His reply was "I do not know you".

John 10:7-10: "Then Jesus said to them again, “Most assuredly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. All who ever came before Me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not hear them. I am the door. If anyone enters by Me, he will be saved, and will go in and out and find pasture. The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly"

Likewise, in the past - the door to the ark was eventually closed and then God's wrath was poured out on the people that didn't believe.

Last edited: