A study on the ten commandments

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

JFSurvivor

Jan 20, 2015
Hi, sister!
I read your posts above. I´ve came to have the same question as you have. From what I know (and could study), none of us will achieve salvation thought works or the Law. We are under God´s Grace, and by faith we will be saved. Now, does that means that the moral laws of OT should be ignored? No. The 4th commandment, however, is not a moral law. The 2 commandments given by Jesus are a summation of the 10, but they are part of the OT.

The whole focus now is LOVE, not the Law. Does this mean Grace is a license to sin? Not at all. Tell me: if one want to honor Christ, to love Him, serve Him, will we:

- Have other gods besides God?
- Have idols and bow to them?
- Take the name of God in vain?
- Won´t honor our father and mother?
- Kill?
- Commit adultery?
- Steal?
- Bear false witness against our neighbor?
- Covet our neighbors possessions or spouse?

It´s all about loving the Lord above all things and to love our neighbors as ourselves. And again, if we love our neighbors as yourselves, will we:

- Kill?
- Commit adultery?
- Steal?
- Bear false witness against our neighbor?
- Covet our neighbors possessions or spouse?

Of course we all fail and end up sinning, but what matters in not perfection, but yet the direction your life is having. Christ is all!!!

Now, is everybody able to do what Christ´s commandments us to do in His 2 commandments (or the 10 commandments, indirectly)? The answer is no! That´s why we needed His sacrificed and we need God´s Grace. We must have a saving faith, and that means we should obey Him!

God bless you, sister!
What about the sabbath?

E

eternally-gratefull

the sabbath was given long before moses.

God wants us to take a day out of our hectic week and rest. It is for our benefit, because our bodies were not made to carry on 7 days a week.

Spiritual rest in Christ is an every day thing, Physical rest on the sabbath is not something that that takes the place of. God wants us to still rest on the 7th day..

Do we do it all the time? No. Should we? God said it was not for him, but for us.. Did that change?

to note. I am not saying the sabbath day is a day of worship. ie on sunday or saterday, But a day of REST. If you want to worship God on that day, fine, but that is not a prerequistie. We would worship God every day. not just on yesterday, or sunday.

E

eternally-gratefull

The righteousness demanded by the 4th commandment is fulfilled by loving GOD.
So since we love God, we trust him, and when he says, take this day and rest your physical bodies, we should honor him by doing so right?

Sep 4, 2012
So since we love God, we trust him, and when he says, take this day and rest your physical bodies, we should honor him by doing so right?
The 4th commandment had nothing to do with bodily rest. It's purpose was to constrain Israel to acknowledge that it was GOD who was sanctifying them, and not their own works.

Last edited:
Oct 21, 2015
I tend to see it, that under the old covenant they were not born again. Most of the time they rebelled against God. God told Moses they were a stiff necked people who would soon desert him once they reached the promised land. Their history as a nation was most of the time rebelling against God, getting into dire messes, crying out to God for help, he rescued them, then after a time of being grateful they rebelled again. It wasn't always like this but the vast majority of the time it was.
Therefore as they in their hearts mostly didn't want to obey, God set aside a specific day which they were to put aside specifically for him. It could have been any day, but it was the seventh.

However, under the new covenant we have been born again, the Holy Spirit dwells in us, we in our hearts want to obey God, for we have been born again of the spirit. In that circumstance we do not have to be told by the written code to set a day aside for God, we want to think of God and meditate on his kindness to us every day alike. We don't have to be told to do it, we want to do it.

So my view is every day is alike to me, and Paul says that is fine in Rom 14:5

But in line with what he wrote in that chapter, there is nothing wrong with any Christian wanting to set aside a specific day, whichever day they choose that to be. What they do NOT have is the right to insist everyone else does the same.

But then as Jesus said:

Many after drinking the old wine don't want the new, for they say. ''The old is better'' Luke 5:39

E

eternally-gratefull

The 4th commandment had nothing to do with bodily rest. It's purpose was to constrain Israel to acknowledge that it was GOD who was sanctifying them, and not their own works.
so God saying I rested on the seventh day, you do it also means nothing.

Israel destroyed the meaning of the seventh day rest by making it religious sadly some in the church did the same.

Sep 4, 2012
so God saying I rested on the seventh day, you do it also means nothing.

Israel destroyed the meaning of the seventh day rest by making it religious sadly some in the church did the same.

GOD didn't rest from anything. The word means he ceased from his labors. Not because he was tired, but because what he created was perfect; there was nothing left to do. He doesn't have to go back and redo things to get it right like we imperfect beings have to do. He does it right the first time. That is why the sabbath glorifies GOD, because it witnesses to his perfection. That is what the number 7 is all about.

E

eternally-gratefull

GOD didn't rest from anything. The word means he ceased from his labors. Not because he was tired, but because what he created was perfect; there was nothing left to do. He doesn't have to go back and redo things to get it right like we imperfect beings have to do. He does it right the first time. That is why the sabbath glorifies GOD, because it witnesses to his perfection. That is what the number 7 is all about.
Yes,

And we are to rest from our labor for one day a week. For our own benefit.

Is that so hard to fathom? Is that so hard to understand? Why do people want to fight it?

Nov 22, 2015
It's a good thing to come aside and rest our bodies and minds. It has nothing to do with sabbath "keeping"...it's just wisdom..even Jesus took the disciples aside to rest...which is why God made Hawaii!..:rolleyes:

Mark 6:31-32 (KJV)
[SUP]31 [/SUP] And he said unto them, Come ye yourselves apart into a desert place, and rest a while: for there were many coming and going, and they had no leisure so much as to eat.
[SUP]32 [/SUP] And they departed into a desert place by ship privately.

E

eternally-gratefull

I advocate resting 2 days a week!
thats great, But God only asked us to do one day for our own benefit. and he called that the seventh day.

now I am not going to get legalistic and say we have to do it on a saterday, I think as long as we pick one day a week to rest. we will be blessed. But God did command it. for our benefit.. So are we going to be selfish and work on that day to benefit ourselves (make more money or whatever) Or do as God asks so our bodies can refresh, and get ourselves ready for another work week?

Feb 21, 2012
My response is in blue
(what about the verses in Hebrews?)
Hebrews 4:1-13 - subject - entering into God's rest - what was God's rest? He "rested" from His works . . . "God rested from all his work that he had done in creation" - so by the same measure we quit working FOR salvation - those who continue to work for salvation have NOT entered His rest.
(So can you be a Christian and not keep the ten commandments?)
Are we Christians because we keep the ten commandments or are we Christians because of our faith in Jesus Christ? There are unbelievers who do not murder, do not steal, do not covet - I never said that we should not put God first, to love him with all our heart, soul, mind and strength and love others - I am a Christian and I have NOT ALWAYS kept the ten commandments - Have you? At the time that I may be off the mark - am I not still born again?
Well, I don't know why in Revelation it speaks of the ark of the covenant - I haven't ever really seen an ark of the covenant and do not believe that it is relative to the body of Christ. . . (Why?)
I don't assemble at a tabernacle - The "church" is no longer in the wilderness - The "church" is made up of the body of Christ
(You seem very hung up on this idea that I think the ten commandments earn salvation. I do not think that.)
I guess because you seem to be pretty hung up on the ten commandments.

Bottom line is that if we love God - we will try our best to obey the first and great commandment, we will try our best to not have or worship other gods, we will endeavor to not bow down to idols, we will endeavor to not take the Lord's name in vain, etc. And if we love God we will endeavor to not lie, steal, kill, covet, etc. - IOW - we will do no harm to our neighbours.

(Master, which is the great commandment in the law? Jesus said unto him, Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul and with all thy mind. This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets. Matt. 22:36-40

ALL THE LAW AND THE PROPHETS HANG ON THESE TWO COMMANDMENTS . . . . hang - kremannymi -
1. to hang up, suspend, to be suspended, to hang, used of one hanging on a cross; used of the Law and the Prophets, they are summed up or hanging on two precepts)

prove-all

May 16, 2014
If the 10 commandments was given to Moses
God gave and spoke to [everyone] from the mount, with lighting and earthquakes also,
there was not a dry pair of underwear in camp I bet :rolleyes:

F

FreeNChrist

I had a set of legit questions at the beginning of this and if you don't know the answer to some of them that is ok. Please help me out here! Gimme answers and if you don't know, say, "I don't know." But please don't be rude and don't pick and choose the "easy questions". Check out the hard ones and really think about them. Sorry for the large font. I am not yelling. I just really do not want this to get over-looked.

You really weren't paying attention were ya? Post #30