Accountability

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
This is true, but I think most all who mislead really believe their own lie.:rolleyes:
Many have been deluded into a type of thinking or belief or doctrine and they don't know they have been deluded as the deluded don't realize they have been deluded( I think I need to say the word deluded fifteen more time). The thing is they can receive an epiphany but only if their willing to receive one. I don't think I need to remind you how stubborn and hard headed many are in their views and beliefs and doctrines I used to be the same way if anyone spoke against the pretrib rapture belief I went head on against them to prove my views right and totally disregarded and ignored any scripture that seemed to oppose or prove my belief wrong in any way.

However luckily for me God humbled my heart because i always told him how eager I was for him to teach me to reveal to me the truth of all things, I think the only reason I learned to not be so stubborn in my views was because I had a teachable and breakable heart to begin with I would gladly have him break my heart in a million pieces for him to put back together again in his image even if it hurt. Sadly our views our beliefs our ways of thinking determines the eyes we see with the understanding of God's ways and if we are able to see the truth hidden within the truth.

Billyd

May 8, 2014
I think 2 PET 2:1-2 and James 3:1-2 speak about this very topic
I would also add 2 Peter 2:3. I like John Gill's analysis.

2 Peter 2:3
And through covetousness;.... Which is generally a prevailing vice among false teachers, they having no other end in view than themselves; either to gain popular applause and vain glory, which they are always covetous of; or to amass riches to themselves, after which they have an insatiable desire:

shall they with feigned words; made words, words of their own devising, and not which the Holy Ghost teacheth; whereby they cover themselves, and privily introduce their pernicious principles; and therefore new words and phrases are always to be suspected and guarded against, especially in articles of moment and importance: or with flattering words and fair speeches, great swelling words of vanity, having men's persons in admiration, because of worldly advantage; and in this way they gain their point:

make merchandise of you; deal with the souls of men, as merchants do with their goods, carry them to market and sell them; so false teachers deal with the souls of their followers, draw them, and sell them to Satan, and they themselves pay for it; see Zec_11:5 but in the issue, and that in a short time, they will be no gainers by such practices:

whose judgment now of a long time lingereth not: that is, their condemnation, which God in righteousness has determined, "from the creation of the world", as the Ethiopic version reads, or from all eternity, see Jud_1:4, to bring them into, for their vile principles and practices, is not retarded and delayed; it does not linger and stay behind, or slacken its pace; it will not tarry, it will come upon them at the appointed time:

and their damnation slumbereth not; an avenging God, who has appointed them to damnation for their sins, slumbers not; the justice of God is not asleep, nor careless and negligent, but is awake, and watches over them, to bring the evil upon them they have deserved, and is in reserve for them, and will hasten to perform it; the determined destruction does not lie dormant, but in a little time will be stirred up, and fall with dreadful weight on such sinners, as may be concluded from the following awful instances.

Jas 3:1 Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, for you know that we who teach will be judged with greater strictness. ESV

Feb 9, 2010
I have a simple question.

Does God hold those who lead people away from him by teaching false interpretations of scripture as fact, accountable for their actions?

He will hold them accountable for teaching false interpretations of scriptures,that could cause people to not be able to have a relationship with God,or lead them astray from God,that once before they were right with God.

Anything somebody teaches about the Bible,that is inaccurate as to cause one to not even have a relationship with God,or lead someone that is with God,to go astray from God,and not have a relationship with God,they would be accountable.

2Ti 2:15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
2Ti 2:16 But shun profane and vain babblings: for they will increase unto more ungodliness.
2Ti 2:17 And their word will eat as doth a canker: of whom is Hymenaeus and Philetus;
2Ti 2:18 Who concerning the truth have erred, saying that the resurrection is past already; and overthrow the faith of some.

They will be accountable for overthrowing the faith of some people.

There are a lot of teachings in the world concerning the Bible,that actually cause people to not have a relationship with God,and they will not be able to plead ignorance,although they will think they could plead ignorance,but there is no excuse,although we might think there is.

Billyd

May 8, 2014
I'm sure that the Lord will have a lot to say about how men have had their own interpretations of the scriptures when there is only one interpretation of the scriptures and that is what the Holy Spirit says it is.

I ask myself 3 questions when looking at teachings:

1) Does it make Jesus bigger and more majestic?

2) Does it make me depend on myself or totally on what Jesus has done in His finished work on our behalf?

3) Does it make me love the Lord Jesus and the Father in a deeper way as I see Him...more in love with His word...more in love with others...and live a live more separated unto Him as I see Him for who He really is to me?
How do decide that what you teach others is correct? Does the Holy Spirit give different interpretations to different people?
If what you teach is not correct, does God hold those you and those you are teaching to the same or a different standard?

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
I apologize for not returning sooner, but things have been a little hectic here.

Thank you for your responses.

When or is the student of false teaching held accountable?
At Judgment Day.

Otherwise, those of a feather flock together no matter how absurd their error may be.

Nov 22, 2015
I think the Holy Spirit is sent to reveal Jesus so I judge whether a teaching lifts up Jesus. All of us only know in part anyway which is why we need each other. The scriptures should be have the ultimate say in any matter. Sometimes there are different ways that people look at things...all of us have a "lens" that we read the scriptures with.

We all need each other as no one group know everything...

.I do believe this one thing very strongly....when we get to see the Father and the Lord Jesus we will be shocked about what we thought and said about their true character and nature. When we see them for who they truly are.

How do decide that what you teach others is correct? Does the Holy Spirit give different interpretations to different people?
If what you teach is not correct, does God hold those you and those you are teaching to the same or a different standard?

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Many have been deluded into a type of thinking or belief or doctrine and they don't know they have been deluded as the deluded don't realize they have been deluded( I think I need to say the word deluded fifteen more time). The thing is they can receive an epiphany but only if their willing to receive one. I don't think I need to remind you how stubborn and hard headed many are in their views and beliefs and doctrines I used to be the same way if anyone spoke against the pretrib rapture belief I went head on against them to prove my views right and totally disregarded and ignored any scripture that seemed to oppose or prove my belief wrong in any way.

However luckily for me God humbled my heart because i always told him how eager I was for him to teach me to reveal to me the truth of all things, I think the only reason I learned to not be so stubborn in my views was because I had a teachable and breakable heart to begin with I would gladly have him break my heart in a million pieces for him to put back together again in his image even if it hurt. Sadly our views our beliefs our ways of thinking determines the eyes we see with the understanding of God's ways and if we are able to see the truth hidden within the truth.
I believe it is only by God's grace that our eyes are open and our hearts humbled to see truth as He intended...if that is what you mean.

May 15, 2013
And do you really think that King James actually translated the King James Bible?
No, he had created his own version; before it was Martin Luther's version that has been translated into English from German. But when translated into English, they had kept some of the wording like the names and etc..That the german language uses an J instead of an I. Like I believed that Luke was the scribe for Paul, that Luke had written or taken dictations from Paul, because scribes are the scrolls writers as well. But Paul had did has written one book and that he stated that it was his hand has written it.

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
No, he had created his own version; before it was Martin Luther's version that has been translated into English from German. But when translated into English, they had kept some of the wording like the names and etc..That the german language uses an J instead of an I. Like I believed that Luke was the scribe for Paul, that Luke had written or taken dictations from Paul, because scribes are the scrolls writers as well. But Paul had did has written one book and that he stated that it was his hand has written it.
So are you saying the translators of the King James Version were accountable to King James and if they didn't tow his line in translating it meant their heads? If so, do you have any documented proof of this? (Just holding you accountable :) )

May 15, 2013
So are you saying the translators of the King James Version were accountable to King James and if they didn't tow his line in translating it meant their heads? If so, do you have any documented proof of this? (Just holding you accountable :) )

The King James Version (KJV), also known as the Authorized Version (AV) or King James Bible (KJB), is an English translationof the Christian Bible for the Church of England that began in 1604 and was completed in 1611.[SUP][a][/SUP]
First printed by the King's Printer Robert Barker, this was the third translation into English to be approved by the English Church authorities. The first was the Great Bible commissioned in the reign of King Henry VIII (1535), and the second was the Bishops' Bibleof 1568.[SUP][3][/SUP] In January 1604, James I convened the Hampton Court Conference where a new English version was conceived in response to the perceived problems of the earlier translations as detected by the Puritans,[SUP][4][/SUP] a faction within the Church of England.[SUP][5][/SUP] The translation is widely considered a towering achievement in English literature, as both beautiful and scholarly.
James gave the translators instructions intended to guarantee that the new version would conform to the ecclesiology and reflect the episcopal structure of the Church of England and its belief in an ordained clergy.[SUP][6][/SUP] The translation was done by 47 scholars,
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_James_Version

Billyd

May 8, 2014
Questions for you: Do you remember something you thought was right about God only to find out later you got that wrong? In the time you thought it was right, did you ever teach it to someone else? Are you accountable for that?

Full answer: Everyone is accountable for everything we've ever done. The main difference is some of us were chosen by God to be redeemed of that huge debit column through Jesus paying off our debt. The math is right, the person paying the bill changed. Got that and the accountability aspect changes. Don't have it and you pay your own bill at a steep price.
Glad you're back Lynn. I pray that you and John are having a great day today.

I find that I'm wrong quite often. I believe that I am accountable for teaching a wrong item to others.

I agree with your full answer.

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
I believe it is only by God's grace that our eyes are open and our hearts humbled to see truth as He intended...if that is what you mean.
Yes and no, because if ones heart is not ready or willing to receive it then he cannot help us as he does not affect free will. Just as if our hearts are not ready or willing to receive him then we cannot be saved as he doesn't force his love and salvation on us. In the same way if we have it in our hearts that we are right and if we do not have a heart that is open for teaching and willing to admit our views and beliefs may be wrong then God cannot reveal to us the deep and hidden secrets because our hearts are not willing

Blain

The Word Weaver
Aug 28, 2012
Glad you're back Lynn. I pray that you and John are having a great day today.

I find that I'm wrong quite often. I believe that I am accountable for teaching a wrong item to others.

I agree with your full answer.
One who teaches and presents what they consider the biblical truth and misleads and makes the Lords flock stumble and fall yet does not see or admit his mistake has received his reward. But the humble in heart and the righteous in God's sight see and even willingly confess their wrong doings

Billyd

May 8, 2014
One who teaches and presents what they consider the biblical truth and misleads and makes the Lords flock stumble and fall yet does not see or admit his mistake has received his reward. But the humble in heart and the righteous in God's sight see and even willingly confess their wrong doings
Agree. Many times we fail to see what we are doing wrong until we enter our prayer closet. I also feel that when we understand that what we have been teaching in wrong, we need to do our best to identify and undo any damage that we have done.

Feb 7, 2015
Can you explain more clearly what that means? It can't mean what it sounds like you said because the German language uses both I and J.

Josefnospam

May 29, 2014
Yes............. God demands justice for sins

Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather that no man put a stumbling block or an occasion to fall in his brothers way...............Romans 8:13

May 15, 2013
Can you explain more clearly what that means? It can't mean what it sounds like you said because the German language uses both I and J.

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="class: votecell"]
65down votefavorite12The answer to this is.... complicated.
The letter J is, as you mentioned, relatively recent, and originated as a variant of the letter I. Why that happens is a little complicated, and requires unpacking some assumptions in your question.
In the original languages (Latin, Greek, Hebrew) which provide us with the names Jesus, Joseph, Justinian, etc., the sound which we write as J was pronounced as the English letter Y. (Just to make things confusing for English speakers, the phonetic symbol for this sound is [j].) In Latin, the letter for this was I/i, in Greek it was Ι/ι (iota), and in Hebrew it was י (yod). Thus, the Greek spelling for "Jesus" was Ιησους, pronounced something like "Yeh-SOOS", and the Latin likewise was Iesus.

history - If the letter J is only 400–500 years old, was there a J sound that preceded the design of the letter? - English Language & Usage Stack Exchange
[/TD]
[TD="class: postcell"]I understand that the letter "J" is relatively new — perhaps 400–500 years old. But since there has long been important names that begin with J, such as Jesus, Joshua, Justinian, etc., and which predate the introduction of a special letter, does that mean that the "J" sound predated the letter, or were such famous names spelled and pronounced differently?

[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]

crossnote

Nov 24, 2012
Yes and no, because if ones heart is not ready or willing to receive it then he cannot help us as he does not affect free will. Just as if our hearts are not ready or willing to receive him then we cannot be saved as he doesn't force his love and salvation on us. In the same way if we have it in our hearts that we are right and if we do not have a heart that is open for teaching and willing to admit our views and beliefs may be wrong then God cannot reveal to us the deep and hidden secrets because our hearts are not willing
Like I said, I believe it is by His grace...our repentance, our understanding, our faith, our life, our willingness, the revelation He grants us...I can never take a stitch of credit for any of it.

Even as the apostle Paul said...

1 Corinthians 15:10 KJVS
[10] But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.