Alcohol

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
Jul 8, 2010
29 Who hath woe? who hath sorrow? who hath contentions? who hath babbling? who hath wounds without cause? who hath redness of eyes? 30 They that tarry long at the wine; they that go to seek mixed wine. 31 Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright. 32 At the last it biteth like a serpent, and stingeth like an adder. 33 Thine eyes shall behold strange women, and thine heart shall utter perverse things. 34 Yea, thou shalt be as he that lieth down in the midst of the sea, or as he that lieth upon the top of a mast. 35 They have stricken me, shalt thou say, and I was not sick; they have beaten me, and I felt it not: when shall I awake? I will seek it yet again. Prov 23:29-35 (KJV)

To me that says: Dont get drunk. which everyone in this thread has so far agreed was wrong.

J

jimmydiggs

That is so ridiculous, not everyone who drinks "underage" is a coward. People do have minds of their own. They are not forced to drink.
Maybe not a coward, I would say though they are likely conforming.

What mattere the most is not the motivation for the act, but the act itself. If a person is "underage" which maybe I misunderstand the ussage of this term, but, If I am correct it is being used to describe the action of when someone is consuming an alcoholic beverage, when they are younger than the legal age. Correct me if I am wrong.

It is illegal to do so, and there for is wrong to do, as it is not against divine imperative.

I know... "Ughhhh, not the Romans 13 argument again!"

On another note, Total absitinance is wise. I have no reason to believe the wine of the bible was always entirely grapejuice. Alcohol consumption is not wrong in and of itself, but rather it is a time, location, and amount issue.

I highly object to bars.

"Gen. 9:21 And he drank of the wine, and was drunken; and he was uncovered within his tent."

M

Maddog

What mattere the most is not the motivation for the act, but the act itself. If a person is "underage" which maybe I misunderstand the ussage of this term, but, If I am correct it is being used to describe the action of when someone is consuming an alcoholic beverage, when they are younger than the legal age. Correct me if I am wrong.

It is illegal to do so, and there for is wrong to do, as it is not against divine imperative.
Is it really illegal? I'm in ignorance of the law over there, but over here, the alcohol laws are only in respect to buying or selling alcohol. In other words, when I was drinking at 16 there was no law broken because it was my father who got the booze in and me and my mates sat in our kitchen supping tins and singing songs.

Jan 20, 2010
Is it really illegal? I'm in ignorance of the law over there, but over here, the alcohol laws are only in respect to buying or selling alcohol. In other words, when I was drinking at 16 there was no law broken because it was my father who got the booze in and me and my mates sat in our kitchen supping tins and singing songs.

Its not illegal if your parents give it to you, though it can only be you, like parents can't serve alcohol to your friends ( well that CAN, but they're not SUPPOSED to lol)

J

jimmydiggs

Its not illegal if your parents give it to you, though it can only be you, like parents can't serve alcohol to your friends ( well that CAN, but they're not SUPPOSED to lol)

This is correct. Parents may provide to children, or Spouse to Spouse. Parent A of Child A, may not supply to Child B of Parent B. This is called "Providing alcohol to a minor". The circumstances of what makes it legal or illegal vary by state, as well with punishment.

Certain states have more conservative laws regarding alcohol, such as the states of Kansas, Mississippi, Tennesee, Kentucky, and Texas.

Each of the states have a significant number of dry counties. Meaning, that production, trafficking, and selling of alcohol are not permitted. With the exception of the Jack Daniels distillery in Kentucky.

Kansas has laws against "Open Saloons". An establishment must make atleast 30% of its profit off of food to serve alcohol by the drink, especially liquor.

Then, there are more liberal laws in states like Missouri, where one can have an open container in the vehicle and not have a problem.

If my parents were to supply alcohol to me (which has never and would never happen) it would be up to individual state laws as to what defines how legal it is, but in most cases it would be legal, yet seriously unwise. Alcohol consumption at young ages has adverse effects on brain development.

M

Maddog

Interesting, thanks for the information.

J

jimmydiggs

Interesting, thanks for the information.
Yes, its interesting. For example, Kansas has the strongest anti-alcohol laws next to being compeltely dry in the nation, but its neighbor Missouri has some of the most relaxed laws. I think in Texas a town can vote to go dry, where you get the situation of a dry town in a wet county or a wet town in a dry county. There is also the concept of a moist county, which I have not cared to study much.