Anyone else struggle with desire for internet popularity?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
So you think you would be more likely to cut corners?

I do do have a fear of failure, so I think that also has a big deal to do with my fear of committing to a work start to finish

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
I'm trying to think of examples of artists in the Bible.

I mean I guess King David didn't languish out of the public eye. But then David also had some serious lapses in moral judgment. :p

Daniel didn't deny the Lord gave him a gift in dream interpretation when Nebby came a calling.

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
So you think you would be more likely to cut corners?
Sadly yes. But more in this case, if it were youtubing or art, I'm afraid I'd be too eager to get into self promoting too much... I guess I don't know the line. And I feel I'm kinda getting my cart before my horse.

i gotta rely on God no matter what

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
I think you're being too cautious. But part of my job is helping people channel self-promotion into something everyone can relate to. Or the other way around.

Machiavelli was right and he was wrong.

Sadly yes. But more in this case, if it were youtubing or art, I'm afraid I'd be too eager to get into self promoting too much... I guess I don't know the line. And I feel I'm kinda getting my cart before my horse.

i gotta rely on God no matter what

Desdichado

Feb 9, 2014
Late 15th early 16th century diplomat, political operative, part-time philosopher, and full-time wino.

His most famous work is a guide to obtaining and maintaining political power called "The Prince." People have taken it and used its principles in every other pursuit including art.

The rub is that he was highly controversial on two marks.

1. The standard interpretation of The Prince is as follows- people are rotten. You cannot behave as though they were virtuous. You must then be clever and out-rotten them. Breaking your word, backstabbing subordinates, relying on fear are all considered permissible if it means a careful maintenance of the status quo.

2. This interpretation is not without inaccuracy. He seems very overt in The Prince. But some interpret it as an expose- showing how the corrupt, tyrannical mind operates. When taken together with his other works, there are even more nuanced interpretations.

The value of reading him for the Christian, carefully and prayerfully, is two-fold. You can.

1. Read it like the Screwtape Letters if you fall into category 1 up top.

2. Hold The Prince up to the light of context and Scripture. The Bible instructs us to be wary of human nature an never assume people will act contrary to it until the Day of Redemption. That to everything there is a season based. Needs require prescription. Be as wise as serpents, but as innocent as doves. Etc.

When Machiavelli's restatement of these timely truths is quite valuable for the Christian. Just know that he can switch from good advice to bad advice in the same paragraph. I would not recommend it to someone new in the faith.

Like your OP indicates, the line isn't always easy to determine. Er on the side of trust and obedience, as always.

JosephsDreams

Dec 31, 2015
Not at all. I have enough problems just struggling for self popularity in my own mind.

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
What did I do? Make an animation to vent duh XD. [video=youtube;ru4LF2ln3ZU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru4LF2ln3ZU[/video]

Last edited:

mochi

May 26, 2015
I think you have a really cool talent!!
maybe you can try to make something like this?

[video=youtube;3m1obbZTd5c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3m1obbZTd5c[/video]

and donghaeng!! you can find lot of their videos on YouTube or website (since i cant post 2 videos on the same box..i'll post on the next comment.. lol) their videos blessed me a lot!

as for being famous.. i think just focus on your content video, keep posting and uploading constantly.. dont afraid to fail since you will loose nothing.. just keep trying! you can do it! you have such talent! i'm sure you'll do great! ;)
i'm a YouTuber as well.. its a baking channel and miaw miaw channel.. not a pro yet! lol

The most important is.. doing what makes you happy so there wont be any regret! and it can inspire people to do so! you can do it!!
best wishes for you!! ;)

mochi

May 26, 2015
[video=youtube;_mf9q6kUsfI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mf9q6kUsfI[/video]

Aug 2, 2009
Nowadays people can literally make themselves a brand. As a Christian, what the heck can we do to counter that?

I'm an artist in the visual and sometimes musical sense, make YouTube videos every so often, but I don't want to be famous. Because famous people have to focus on themselves, have crazy/psycho "fans," and don't tend to have any privacy. Yet it seems now a days if you want to make any kind of living in entertainment or arts, you have to basically be popular.

I will not lie, part of me wants to be famous. Because of that, and because I know that God seeeks the humble, I fight that tooth and nail. Because I fear it would go to my head.

Anyone else battle this?
Becoming famous on the internet or anywhere is not easy. There are lots of people trying very hard to become famous and its just not happening. Its like trying to become a popular singer. The ones that have made it were unpopular for a long time until they had their big break. I'm just saying its not really something to be afraid of unless you're already becoming popular.

WineRose

Jan 3, 2017
Row A, Column 9
Becoming famous on the internet or anywhere is not easy. There are lots of people trying very hard to become famous and its just not happening. Its like trying to become a popular singer. The ones that have made it were unpopular for a long time until they had their big break. I'm just saying its not really something to be afraid of unless you're already becoming popular.
*ahem* I got 33 reps here in this massive website and I get buried in likes every single day in just six months by posting a few memes here and there, ya know what I'm sayin'... :rolleyes:

I_am_Canadian

Dec 8, 2014
Dont worry about your fame, Jesus didnt make himself of any reputation, and most people hated him for being himself.
Listen, Just be your self and post your videos and music for the glory and Honour of God. Let God worry about your fame and fans.

I mean do you know what its like to have a fan pull you over and praise you for walking, when your walking home with a thermal bag full of pizzas? It was a blessing to be called an inspiration.

Or to walk down the street from the grocery store to your house, wearing a suit and a 40lb army backback full of food, with 4 bagguettes strapped to the back. Half the people I noticed were actually looking at me. (as they were driving by) and thats just the faces I could see.

(bagguettes are the long skinny loafs of bread usually french or italian)

Nowadays people can literally make themselves a brand. As a Christian, what the heck can we do to counter that?

I'm an artist in the visual and sometimes musical sense, make YouTube videos every so often, but I don't want to be famous. Because famous people have to focus on themselves, have crazy/psycho "fans," and don't tend to have any privacy. Yet it seems now a days if you want to make any kind of living in entertainment or arts, you have to basically be popular.

I will not lie, part of me wants to be famous. Because of that, and because I know that God seeeks the humble, I fight that tooth and nail. Because I fear it would go to my head.

Anyone else battle this?

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
Hahahaha fortunately I do indeed know what baguettes are XDDD

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
I think that's the hard thing about media nowadays, there is one branch of thought that all promotion is good and there is another branch of thought that no promotion is good but nothing in between.

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
Like, say I had a Christian blog and it became super Duper popular and someone decided to send me promotional materials for their website but the website was adult themed. Some people would go there.

Reborn

Nov 16, 2014

Anyone else battle this?
Hey Steph,
Do what you love to do for yourself. You'll be a success (by accomplishing what you set out to do) whether you become famous or not.

Worry about fortune and fame only if that day ever comes.
If you do it because its your passion...everything else will just be a bonus.

ArtsieSteph

Apr 1, 2014
Arizona
Yeah I'm slowly starting to realize that I just need to rely on God to lead me.....instead of being afraid of going anywhere. Like I still need to seek Him about whatever He wants me to do, but to let Him open the doors and pray that I actually NOTICE them when He is opening them going "HELLOOOOOOOOOOOO"