Are the olympics useful?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
J

jash

Now a days olympics, many games are held. Are they useful to a country or to the world?

What is the use of games in a human life? only for enjoyment?

Recently held world cup cricket match, India won the cup, they got crores and crores valuable land and gifts.

Are those sports important to a christian? what is the role of games in a christian's life?

Galatians: 5
19 The acts of the flesh are obvious: sexual immorality, impurity and debauchery; 20 idolatry and witchcraft; hatred, discord, jealousy, fits of rage, selfish ambition, dissensions, factions 21 and envy; drunkenness, orgies, and the like. I warn you, as I did before, that those who live like this will not inherit the kingdom of God.

there we find that those who do the above dont own God's kingdom.
my opinion is that by spending money on sports there is a great loss to the country and by this in a nation "the rich are becoming richest and the poor poorest.

I'm not just criticizing someone formy opinion but is my opinion correct?

Dude653

Mar 19, 2011
I don't care anything about the olympics...it's boring

W

Warrior44

I think the olympics CAN be useful. They are certainly enjoyable to watch and are not sinful. the sins of the fless you quoted are in reference to sins of impurity. Otherwise how would you know whether or not other enjoyable pasttimes like knitting or even simple conversation would be sinful? No, there is not intrinsically wrong with playing games. Unfortunatley many many olympic athletes turn their sport into a type of god to them and that is wrong. If the sports take the place of God (either for the person playing or the person watching) then it is wrong. But otherwise i don't see a problem. Sports can even be useful in deepening faith and bringing others to the Lord.

J

jash

I think the olympics CAN be useful. Sports can even be useful in deepening faith and bringing others to the Lord.
can you explain how sports useful in deepening faith and bringing others to the Lord?

W

Warrior44

can you explain how sports useful in deepening faith and bringing others to the Lord?
God made our bodies in His image. by using them in a good and wholsome way we give Him glory. for example, i play football (american football) in a newly formed league called the CFL - Christian Football League. Nearly everyone in the league is Christian. We pray before and after every practice, use Scripture for motivation, and always keep the focus on giving all the glory to God. We don't play to glorify ourselves or our talents, we play to honor God and use the talents He gave us. In addition, we reach out to Churches and youth groups for evangelization. Jesus told the parable about the servants and the talents. By playing for the Lord we are using the talents He gave us while at the same time preaching the gospel through our actions.
Now, obviously the olympics are not that Christ centered. but there are no doubt many faith filled olympians who are using their talents in the way God intended.

Last edited:

Dude653

Mar 19, 2011
Sports teach the value of teamwork and discipline

May 21, 2009
I'm not into it. I'm glad when USA wins. I think a Christian can be the greatest at a sport. That would be a great testimony.

A

AnandaHya

I think it is good that it teaches self control of one's body and mind.

1 Corinthians 9
24 Do you not know that those who run in a race all run, but one receives the prize? Run in such a way that you may obtain it. 25 And everyone who competes for the prize is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a perishable crown, but we for an imperishable crown. 26 Therefore I run thus: not with uncertainty. Thus I fight: not as one who beats the air. 27 But I discipline my body and bring it into subjection, lest, when I have preached to others, I myself should become disqualified.

2 Timothy 2
5 And also if anyone competes in athletics, he is not crowned unless he competes according to the rules.

Jul 25, 2011
"Vanity of vanities, saith the Preacher, vanity of vanities; all is vanity." Ecclesiastes 1:2

Kathleen

Oct 13, 2009
Sport is good. Excercise is always good, we need to take care of the bodies the Lord has blessed us with. Most people fins sport as a way to de-stress. Other play for enjoyment, or meeting other people or some like to win.
Sports allow for certain qualities to be more prominent, wheather that be leadership or teamwork.

You'll often find that after the olympics, community centres and sports centres find alot more turnover. It gives people inspiration and motivation to get tof the couch and do a workout, something that everyone in this world should be doing. We have a global weight problem.

God Bless :)

Jun 15, 2011
Anytime I hear the argument that some human activity isn't "useful" I am left wondering... did God want us all to lay in the mud breeding and worshipping him non-stop such that these are the only two endeavours of why we are on this apparently meaningless realm in the first place?

Then it makes me wonder... is the third world useful or is it just a big waste because predominantly its just a bunch of non-christians breeding excessively?