Are you "Saved" and filled with the "Holy Ghost/Spirit"?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
E

Eccl12and13

We who are in Christ are not under the old covenant because we have died in being crucified with Christ. (Gal. 2:20)
What is the new agreement comprised of? Is there something that was in the old agreement that is not in the new agreement?

A

Abiding

Do you know what the New Covenant consists of? :)

You ask how the old covenant failed...well, it didn't!
Its purpose was to convince mankind that we needed a Savior.
It is we who fail. The Israelites failed to keep it.
They said they would. (Ex. 24:7)
But they didn't...they couldn't. We couldn’t, either, if we had never known Jesus and it was offered to us.

So it was necessary for God to make a new covenant. (Jer.31:32-33)
This was based on the Promise God made to Abraham.
It was always the purpose of God to send the Savior, and to make this covenant through the sacrifice of Jesus.
It has always been through faith in this new covenant of Promise that people have been made righteous before God.
The law never had the power to save. The only way it could have is if people could keep it perfectly.
But it did serve its purpose, first to make every man know they are guilty of sin and accountable to God for it (Rom, 3:19), and as a schoolmaster, to point the way to Jesus, the seed of the Promise. (Gal. 3:24)

See how the Jews, in Jesus' day, responded to Him saying the truth would make them free? (John 8:33)
They didn't understand their own scripture which told them all about these things.
They didn't understand about the two children Abraham had, one of the bondwoman, and one of the free.
Galatians 4:30 quotes Genesis 21:10 and says, "Cast out the bondwoman and her son, for the son of the bondwoman shall not be an heir with the son of the freewoman."
If we try to mix the covenants, it becomes v-e-r-y easy for us to begin to feel self-righteous. Jesus also told parables of new cloth to patch an old garment and new wine in old wineskins to illustrate why we can't mix the two. The new is not modifying the old in some way...it's brand new!

Here's the thing I was trying to show when I brought up Hebrews 9...
the old covenant was a contract, or agreement, between two parties: God and the nation of Israel.
The new is, in effect, a will...a promise made by God on behalf of all humanity.
Now, if I write a will, it sits in a cabinet and does nothing until my death.
When Jesus died this great promise became a reality!

We who are in Christ are not under the old covenant because we have died in being crucified with Christ. (Gal. 2:20)
The book of Romans sets forth in pretty clear language all these things.

I hope this helps.

[/QUOT

you put your bible in a 100 ton press and that popped out, right?
what coffee blend are you using>

loveme1

Oct 30, 2011
All things certainly are His Great plan in progress for us.

Now the Holy Spirit is given through Faith to lead us on the path of Righteousness to purge and make us the servants of Yahvah God.

P

psychomom

you put your bible in a 100 ton press and that popped out, right?
what coffee blend are you using>
LOL. I had my two youngest do a study (pretty basic) of the two covenants, and we then re-did it together, so it was just a little fresh in my mind.
And for anything to stay in my mind has to be a gift of His grace. :)

E

Eccl12and13

What is the new agreement comprised of? Is there something that was in the old agreement that is not in the new agreement?