Be Aware of this potential Phone Scam...

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Solemateleft

Honor, Courage, Commitment
Jun 25, 2017
https://www.cnet.com/tech/mobile/can-you-hear-me-scam/

Article is from 2017, says that this scam may not be as rampant as believed.

It's good to be wary, not only of actual scams but also of viral warning posts.
no doubt…
The thing about criminals they see and learn from these types of things to implement their own ideas for scamming people in other ways…
When it comes to individual risks and vulnerabilities, from a mitigation perspective, it is always better to be safe, than sorry… especially in today’s era of ever advancing technogy…. Unfortunately, bad guys will continue to strive to find ways of tricking people out of their money…

Solemateleft

Honor, Courage, Commitment
Jun 25, 2017
Thanks for the reminder of this scam!

I'm always trying to warn my parents and hadn't thought of this one in a while.

Thanks for looking out for the community. 👍🏼❤️🌹
Of course Seoul! Thank you for your acknowledgement and endorsement, it really means a lot to me coming from you! ❤️🙏😇

May 15, 2024
I echo Gojira's post.There is a great youtube channel from trilogy media that can help people protect themselves from identity theft ,by showing how scammers work.

I was just a theft victim of a phone scammer that posed as my bank. NEVER ever trust the caller ID when you receive a phone call,because they have software devices that can spoof (=fake) a caller ID. They claimed they were the fraud detection department from my bank and that there were unauthorized transactions on my debit card. Since they knew my name,my bank and my cell number (they probably retrieved my cell number from public records) and their caller ID appeared as the official bank number I fell for it and gave them my card information to block it; but several warning flags were there,which I realized when I reasoned later after I blocked my card:

1) Why did they call my cell phone number if I had given the bank only my daytime phone ? when I asked them they told me they had tried to call the daytime but there was no response, which is not true because later I checked my call history on my daytime number.
2a) the connection was so broken when they first called me from the spoofed number that I thought there was something wrong with my cell line, so unfortunately I gave them my daytime phone to call me on, thinking I could hear them more clearly.
2b) the connection of the number they used to call me on my daytime phone was clear but it had unknown caller, because they masked their ID.
3a) They told me the first 4 digits of my debit card number but those are generic codes that identify the issuer of the card which (since they knew my bank) they could search for easily on google, so unfortunately I gave them my debit card full number; then they asked me the code on the back and expiration date and pin number and to verify my address and naively I gave those to them, which was another huge mistake .They should never ask for any of your debit card information unless you have called someone to make a payment and you know for sure the number you are calling is legit.
3b) they asked me to verify the balance on my bank account which they should never do and I was a fool to give it to them, indeed they were just trying to make sure I have enough money for them to use my debit card.
4) they told me they would activate message alerts so I could authorize transactions responding to a text message and they needed to verify my phone number, so I received codes from apple pay which I later realized they were totally unnecessary and they actually used them to make their illegal purchases online,in fact I don't even have apple pay.
5) they kept me on the phone a long time claiming it took time to close the card and they needed the authorization from the manager and that some "Amy" person was checking on the transactions. Instead it must only take a few seconds for the customer service agent to block a card ,nothing longer; they clearly kept me on the line all that time, so they would have the time to make illegal purchases online using my card.
6) they told me they would ship me a new debit card and send me an email that shows the fedex tracking number:but to order a new debit card you have to call the bank yourself and they typically use USPS regular mail to save shipping cost, unless you explicitly request the bank for an express delivery with tracking number and they would still use USPS since it's typically less expensive than a private courier like fedex or ups.
7) at last they asked for my social security number and login information for my bank and that is when I understood they were thieves , so I hung up the phone and immediately called the official fraud detection department number to block my debit card.
Unfortunately even if they tried multiple transactions and most were blocked, one of them made it through and I am out of a big chunk of money, having to go through the bank fraud claims investigation which will take a long time for a refund to process.
8) after I hung up they kept calling my phone continuously and I had several missed calls.

Here is some advice after this dreadful experience:
A) If possible turn on call screening, spam detection ,forward anonymous callers to voicemail and do not disturb on your phone and just set as favorite contacts those you want to ring , everyone else will have to leave a message . My daytime number is google voice and it is extremely flexible in how you can filter , screen and control the calls.
B) try to avoid a bank without local branches that has to send your debit card through mail since I had it stolen from my mail and they took a lot of cash from the ATM a while ago;in fact I suspect the scammer who called me today could very well be the same person who stole my debit card from the mail a couple of months ago.
Although often you can shop for better account features and rewards from a remote (not local ) bank it is safer to go in person to a local branch and request a debit card that they can print inside the branch for you.
C) unfortunately some banks do not have a good level of security and do not require any further information than just your phone number you are calling from and the card information to activate a new card. So anybody who steals a card from your mail can activate it if they just know your phone number and use the caller id to spoof their phone number,so avoid listing your phone numbers or address on public records
D) activate credit alerts through the major credit agencies (e.g. experian),which sometimes offer a temporary free credit alert option to protect against people trying to use your identity to borrow money, which can destroy your credit and cause legal trouble.

Thieves are becoming more and more sly and sophisticated in their techniques,but all those who believe in Jesus serve a God who is all powerful and loving and can help overcome any evil,fight for them and protect them from darkness (Exodus 20:15,Proverbs 6:30-31,1 Corinthians 6:10,Ephesians 4:28,John 10:10,Matthew 6:19,et cetera)

I feel so worthless and very strongly blaming myself that I dug my own grave in this situation,but I acted in good faith and these scammers train to use your pride or fears against you to lull you into thinking they are helping you: it's a trick as old as the world as the lie that Satan told Eve in the fall.
Do not fall for these scams, beware of these spammers and pass the word to help fight them.
The deep feelings of violation from abuse, fear, anxiety,anger and hate caused me to spend a whole night without sleep; now in deep weariness,I am forced to change bank because I fear my bank information has been compromised.
Lord Jesus help me as I struggle to love,forgive and not judge the scammers although I am a broken sinner exactly like them;I pray this message can help another person; God will render justice, since it is not for me to take revenge (Romans 12:19-21,et cetera)

Adeste Fideles

Subhumanoidal

Sep 17, 2018
Pretty easy to handle. If you get a call or email or regular mail from a business, don't contact them through the info provided. Look up a number yourself and call the number from an official site. If it's legit, they'll be able to help. If it's a scam they'll have no idea what you're talking about.
And chances are if they pressure you to handle it only through them, or to handle it right that moment, it's probably a scam.