Biblical definition of nakedness in the Bible - You might be shocked!

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
G

Gr8grace

Today, there are many Christian men and women who are showing their nakedness almost on a daily basis - especially during summer - what does the Bible have to say about this?

And thou shalt make them linen breeches to cover their nakedness; from the loins even unto the thighs they shall reach.
Exodus 28:42

Come down, and sit in the dust, O virgin daughter of Babylon, sit on the ground: there is no throne, O daughter of the Chaldeans: for thou shalt no more be called tender and delicate.
Take the millstones, and grind meal: uncover thy locks, make bare the leg, uncover the thigh, pass over the rivers.
Thy nakedness shall be uncovered, yea, thy shame shall be seen: I will take vengeance, and I will not meet thee as a man.
Isaiah 47:1-3

Leviticus 18 forbids to show your nakedness to others.

How is it possible that many Christians and even churches ignore these verses? We see many Christians wearing shorts or skirts that are way above knee-length, showing their thigh, which is called nakedness in the Bible. Yet, no one seems to have a problem with the fact that many of them are in 'our' churches. Are we to be compared with this daughter of Babylon who will be judged or are we on God's side? This is a problem that didn't even exist until mid twentieth century, what's going on?!

What are your thoughts on this?
I look at this as a test for me. Guys are visual and we are not going to change fashion trends. I've got the ceilings of most places that we go to memorized.

And Marc has some solid advice on this thread.

B

BarlyGurl

What I wonder more is why you feel compelled to go all old testament on everyone, when Jesus has destroyed the old covenant.
No he didn't, HE FULLFILLED it and brought a NEW covenant... distinctions!

tourist

Mar 13, 2014
Tennessee
Today, there are many Christian men and women who are showing their nakedness almost on a daily basis - especially during summer - what does the Bible have to say about this?

And thou shalt make them linen breeches to cover their nakedness; from the loins even unto the thighs they shall reach.

Come down, and sit in the dust, O virgin daughter of Babylon, sit on the ground: there is no throne, O daughter of the Chaldeans: for thou shalt no more be called tender and delicate.
Take the millstones, and grind meal: uncover thy locks, make bare the leg, uncover the thigh, pass over the rivers.
Thy nakedness shall be uncovered, yea, thy shame shall be seen: I will take vengeance, and I will not meet thee as a man.

How is it possible that many Christians and even churches ignore these verses? We see many Christians wearing shorts or skirts that are way above knee-length, showing their thigh, which is called nakedness in the Bible. Yet, no one seems to have a problem with the fact that many of them are in 'our' churches. Are we to be compared with this daughter of Babylon who will be judged or are we on God's side? This is a problem that didn't even exist until mid twentieth century, what's going on?!

Seriously, I don't think about this much.

Dec 19, 2009

We all know what degrees of nakedness result in lust. We are commanded not to create lust.

B

Brother_J_BELGIUM

@ Brother J

You're interest in God's commandments and how we should best be serving Him is good. It is written that once you recieve the Holy Spirit, it writes God's law on your heart and mind, and causes you to walk in His ways.

Those who have turned away from seeking God's will are making a grave mistake.

Proverbs 28:9
He that turneth away his ear from hearing the law, even his prayer shall be abomination.

Thank you for making this biblical fact known to me.
Thank you for your reply, Saladin. Most people either just laugh about it or say that the old covenant doesn't count anymore - but the new one does, which is true of course and I agree on that - but that doesn't mean the Biblical definition of nakedness has changed. The definition of lying or murder haven't changed either.

And it's a shame that many Christians today would buy any clothing they like, no one seems to care about short shorts or short skirts being worn while I and many others find it sexually enticing when the upper leg is shown of a woman. I have heard even girls saying they get sexually enticed by boys wearing very short shorts or showing their upper body.

During the entire existence of Judaism and Christianity, the first time they start to wear clothing that is shorter and more revealing than ever before started in the last century. Yet, I get criticized for talking about it. Secretly, they are just scared of not being liked by this world because they would get called old-fashion and grandma-like or medieval and things like that. This, to me, proves what Jesus said, narrow is the way and few will find it. Not everyone saying Lord, Lord, will come to Him, but those who do His will. "And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." Romans 12. A Christian is different from the world both in a spiritual as well as in a physical way.

Regardless of all this knowledge the Lord has given us in His Word, there have been scientific reports that stated that when men saw portions of women's upper legs, parts in their brain started to become active that are usually only doing so when they are operating or using objects, not persons. A different part in the brain is used for having a conversation, which one would think would activate when a man sees a woman, but in the case of the thigh being shown, is much less. When the masses love you, you should be worried. When the masses hate you, you should be comforted. Hard, but true. God bless.

Last edited:
B

BarlyGurl

Right Belgium, the definitions of stealing or murder haven't changed and neither has nakedness. You are however, expanding the definition beyond the scope of which the scripture says. Nakedness from the BEGINNING, was no clothes at all. Once sin came, Adam and Eve were ashamed and made coverings for themselves... loins/made aprons... then God came and said that is not good enough... I will make you a CLOAK.
Now if you will please remain right there <pointing up at teaching> for a little while and meditate on WHAT the nakedness represents in this context.

A

atwhatcost

Thank you for your reply, Saladin. Most people either just laugh about it or say that the old covenant doesn't count anymore - but the new one does, which is true of course and I agree on that - but that doesn't mean the Biblical definition of nakedness has changed. The definition of lying or murder haven't changed either.

And it's a shame that many Christians today would buy any clothing they like, no one seems to care about short shorts or short skirts being worn while I and many others find it sexually enticing when the upper leg is shown of a woman. I have heard even girls saying they get sexually enticed by boys wearing very short shorts or showing their upper body.

During the entire existence of Judaism and Christianity, the first time they start to wear clothing that is shorter and more revealing than ever before started in the last century. Yet, I get criticized for talking about it. Secretly, they are just scared of not being liked by this world because they would get called old-fashion and grandma-like or medieval and things like that. This, to me, proves what Jesus said, narrow is the way and few will find it. Not everyone saying Lord, Lord, will come to Him, but those who do His will. "And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God." Romans 12. A Christian is different from the world both in a spiritual as well as in a physical way.

Regardless of all this knowledge the Lord has given us in His Word, there have been scientific reports that stated that when men saw portions of women's upper legs, parts in their brain started to become active that are usually only doing so when they are operating or using objects, not persons. A different part in the brain is used for having a conversation, which one would think would activate when a man sees a woman, but in the case of the thigh being shown, is much less. When the masses love you, you should be worried. When the masses hate you, you should be comforted. Hard, but true. God bless.
You're absolutely right. The biblical definition of nakedness hasn't changed.

You changed it. I wouldn't feel to comfortable or comforted, if I were you.

Indeed when a person is exposed from the loins to the thigh they are naked. Between the loins and the thighs are the buttocks and genitalia which should indeed be covered. You should indeed follow your convictions regarding modesty as in every other area of life.

You should NOT try to impose your convictions on others; because that is the Holy Spirit's role---NOT YOURS!

B

Brother_J_BELGIUM

Indeed when a person is exposed from the loins to the thigh they are naked. Between the loins and the thighs are the buttocks and genitalia which should indeed be covered. You should indeed follow your convictions regarding modesty as in every other area of life.

You should NOT try to impose your convictions on others; because that is the Holy Spirit's role---NOT YOURS!
So, according to your way of reasoning, this picture can be a Christian outfit to wear?

image1xxl.jpg

It covers the buttocks and genitalia. She's not naked. Where are you going to draw the line? If a brother or a sister in Christ has a weakness (his flesh being tempted) and the other brother or sister knows it and still continues to wear short skirts that he finds sexually enticing and he lusts after her, who do you think is guilty here?! Ultimately, both; but it is a disgrace that many Christian women aren't listening to their fellow brothers in Christ who have problems with short skirts. And this is not because they're short, it's because the skirt being short is sexually enticing to them!

G

Gr8grace

So, according to your way of reasoning, this picture can be a Christian outfit to wear?

View attachment 127684

It covers the buttocks and genitalia. She's not naked. Where are you going to draw the line? If a brother or a sister in Christ has a weakness (his flesh being tempted) and the other brother or sister knows it and still continues to wear short skirts that he finds sexually enticing and he lusts after her, who do you think is guilty here?! Ultimately, both; but it is a disgrace that many Christian women aren't listening to their fellow brothers in Christ who have problems with short skirts. And this is not because they're short, it's because the skirt being short is sexually enticing to them!
I would suggest to start looking at the ceiling. You ain't going to change it.

And why are you searching for pictures that you already told us entice you and then post it here?

Look at it as a challenge and an opportunity to grow. A wife is going to love the fact that you only have eyes for her.

B

Brother_J_BELGIUM

You're absolutely right. The biblical definition of nakedness hasn't changed.

You changed it. I wouldn't feel to comfortable or comforted, if I were you.
So you're comfortable with the fact that many women (both Christian and atheist) wear short skirts and this causes many men (both Christian and atheist) to lust after her and commit sin? Nakedness is the same as 'your shame', people used to be ashamed of their upper leg being shown but it took the devil less than 100 years to make this go away! It's sad though, when you look at the Jewish women, they are dressed modest and when you compare them to most Christian women today, the difference is way too big. Though they're spiritually blind for accepting Jesus as Messiah, at least they know what modesty is. I don't think many of them would approve the upper leg being shown, we can learn a lot from the Jews I believe.

Feb 11, 2015
I sense the Lord being mocked for what he expected of us.....people thinking they know better and the Lord should get hip with the times man...I agree that some clothing is too revealing...especially for Sons of God who may find the daughters of humans beautiful...If that isn't referring to fallen angels then it must be speaking of those faithful to God intermarrying with unbelievers...which soon led to the thoughts of humans to become evil all the time...this could elude to the fact that it may not take much temptation for even God's elect to fall away...if that were possible...I feel we're closer to resembling the days of Noah than is being admitted.