Cains flippant answer. Maybe not so flippant after all

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
K

kaylagrl

Interesting debate,if you can call it that.Seems once again its proven that you can make the Bible say anything if you take it far enough out of context.

Ella85

May 9, 2014
If you born of the Spirit and the Word you wouldn't be a mutation of evolution but a child of the Holy Ghost.

I mean you do know that a man and his wife shall be one flesh, right?

Mark 10:6-9
6 But from the beginning of the creation God made them male and female.
7 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and cleave to his wife;
8 And they twain shall be one flesh: so then they are no more twain, but one flesh.
9 What therefore God hath joined together, let not man put asunder.

And that a male and female are both man.

Gen 5:1-2
5:1 This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him;
2 Male and female created he them; and blessed them, and called their name Adam, in the day when they were created.

And that the Father, the Word and the Holy Ghost are one right?

1 John 5:7
7 For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.

You don't really believe that, now do you...
My point proven.
You have no idea what your talking about.
Really bugs me when people try to twist the truth.

O

oldthennew

Ahh, the gift of smell. I hear that when one loses senses, like seeing and hearing, their other senses become more perceptive.
================================================================

beware the voice of the serpent, and machiavellian monkeys that smell like rats
for they carry a spiritual bubonic plague.

we speak the Truth and two bear witness, God The Father and Jesus Christ His Son.

notuptome

May 17, 2013
What we have here is the age old conflict. Abel hearing Gods word and obeying Gods word as God gave it and Cain hearing Gods word and changing it to suit him despite what God clearly stated. God offers Cain forgiveness with the Lamb at the door but Cain rejects Gods gracious offer. Cain preferred his righteousness to that which God established.

Cain and Abel were twins as scripture records one conception and two births.

I say Cain was not as much flippant as he was just outright rebellious toward God.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

Dec 12, 2013
Awesome! I KNEW you were gonna bring parables up. ;) And that was before Jesus was crucified and resurrected. I'm crucified with Him and resurrected in my heart. There's no need for Him to speak in parables to His own vessel of honor. Remember, He said He must ascend so His Holy Spirit can live in us.
Yes and the Holy Spirit goes before us and leads and guides into all truth.....AMEN!

Dec 12, 2013
My point proven.
You have no idea what your talking about.
Really bugs me when people try to twist the truth.
Seems to happen quite a bit when someone wants to make their own point....seems like many will make a point and then hang a scripture on it that has been twisted into a pretzel of heresy......! Kind of like a guy I knew who tried to say Adam was asexual before God made EVE...foolish for sure....!

Dec 12, 2013
Only one who is born of the spirit can understand the word of God.

All my senses are working perfectly fine, as I am totally in tune with the spirit.

I do not question or argue with the Almighty God.

I can say that you on the other hand have been blinded to the truth, and wish to twist scripture to fit your theory.

You cannot argue with God.
You will never win.
I agree with this as well......... God wins hands down every time....as in the end he can simply turn away and they cease to exist in the flesh.....score one for God!

V

VioletReigns

And the disciples having come near, said to him, `Wherefore in similes dost thou speak to them?'
11 And he answering said to them that -- `To you it hath been given to know the secrets of the reign of the heavens, and to these it hath not been given,
12 for whoever hath, it shall be given to him, and he shall have overabundance, and whoever hath not, even that which he hath shall be taken from him.
13 `Because of this, in similes do I speak to them, because seeing they do not see, and hearing they do not hear, nor understand,
14 and fulfilled on them is the prophecy of Isaiah, that saith, With hearing ye shall hear, and ye shall not understand, and seeing ye shall see, and ye shall not perceive,
15 for made gross was the heart of this people, and with the ears they heard heavily, and their eyes they did close, lest they might see with the eyes, and with the ears might hear, and with the heart understand, and turn back, and I might heal them.
16 `And happy are your eyes because they see, and your ears because they hear,
17 for verily I say to you, that many prophets and righteous men did desire to see that which ye look on, and they did not see, and to hear that which ye hear, and they did not hear.
Ezekiel prophesied that Jesus would speak in parables (proverbs or figurative moral lessons). And Jesus explains to us why He did speak in that way. The Lord said that He was revealing the secrets from the foundation of the earth to us. He was showing us the Father’s heart. The obstinate and the proud did not get it because their minds were darkened. Jesus’ words were parables ONLY TO THE CARNAL MIND. To those whose hearts were submitted to God, the Lord’s words were crystal clear. To His own, His Word is absolute Truth.

Romans 8:7 - Because the carnal mind is enmity against God: for it is not subject to the law of God, neither indeed can be.

Isn’t that plain enough? It is IMPOSSIBLE to commune with and perceive God as a Father, it is impossible to understand and accept His Word unless you are humbly abandoned to Him with a child’s submitted heart.

In Matthew 19:25 the disciples were rather exasperated when they realized there was no earthly way to be saved and accepted into the kingdom of heaven. They asked Jesus, “Who then can be saved?” And the Lord answered,
“It’s impossible, no man can save himself. But with God, all things are possible.”

God Himself opened up the Kingdom of heaven to us through Jesus Christ His Son. The only way to take advantage of this Great Invitation is by submission to His Son with a repentant heart. Not a proud heart, not an obstinate heart, not with an intellectual mind, not with a rebellious mind, not with a metaphysical mind.

Only through humbly submitting to Jesus Christ and being honest in our heart can we be saved: “Forgive me, O Lord! I am lost and blind without You! I need You, Jesus! I am corrupt and like a beast without You. I have nothing but selfish motives without You! I am morally insane without You! I am a proud fool who is deceived without You! ”

Nope. Jesus does not speak in cryptic messages to His own. That’s an insane concept. The Holy Spirit would not commune with His Spirit in us in parables. The sheep hear the Shepherd’s Voice clearly and follow Him.

All this to say, if there is a legitimate point to be made that would bless the children of God and in turn, glorify the Lord Jesus Christ, I am ready to hear it. I don’t even mind little “Ah ha!” moments and simple moral exercises that remind you to be more sober and vigilant spiritually.

On the other hand, I don’t want to wade through drawn-out riddles and contend with debating vague posts and work out cryptograms to see the simple point of a life-giving message.

Last edited:
Sep 16, 2014
Awesome! I KNEW you were gonna bring parables up. ;) And that was before Jesus was crucified and resurrected. I'm crucified with Him and resurrected in my heart. There's no need for Him to speak in parables to His own vessel of honor. Remember, He said He must ascend so His Holy Spirit can live in us.
How sweet it is to hear and understand the Lord. It's interesting that even Jesus' disciples hearing parables initially didn't get understanding from them, like the crowds. I imagine the big crowd effect was like how Americans loved hearing the naturally understandable and wise sayings of a long list of great American orators who sometimes embedded spiritual principles not realized until much later. Jesus reserved the underlying spiritual applications of His parables to those closest to Him only, who were a little less dull of hearing than the average Jew, because God was allowing that. The full truth was not released until the plan of God was finished, then opened up to all willing to hear it, the gospel of Christ. Yet, the apostles took literally the sermons that were not couched in parables, comprehending at least in part the direct spiritual lessons Jesus spoke. When they caught on to the Kingdom principle they argued over who would reign higher in it. That required more direct spiritual teaching from Jesus.

Don't you know all of them would have loved to pick up a Bible sent from the future! Nothing would have been changed.

Sep 16, 2014
Genesis 4:9 (YLT)

And Jehovah saith unto Cain, `Where [is] Abel thy brother?'
and he saith, `I have not known; my brother's keeper -- I?'

it is usually assumed that Cain is giving a flippant answer to God's question. Taken literally that is indeed what it means.
But what if it isn't such a flippant answer after all. What if Cain is actually answering gods question but doing it in such a way that he doesn't appear to be giving the secret away? what if the answer is hidden in the words that Cain said?............
I've spent a lot of time ministering to jailed prisoners who typically excuse their crimes. Adam did that by blaming God for that woman He gave. Cain denied having responsibility for another life, there being no commandment to do so. was no law against murder then. An accused murderer will deny doing anything wrong, then when convicted and in prison will often switch to excusing their crime by casting aspersions on the victim, or continue denying guilt. "If you knew her you would have done the same thing." They will seem fearless before God and man while accused, but once convicted they say the punishment is unfair, too great, or that they will be unfairly killed by other prisoners. "I don't deserve to die because of what I did (or did not do)." Those lines are old!

Adam and Eve didn't suffer too much over Cain. Genesis 4:26 (KJV)
[SUP]26 [/SUP] And to Seth, to him also there was born a son; and he called his name Enos: then began men to call upon the name of the LORD.

They didn't stop with Cain, but birthed more sons and daughters, Seth when Adam was 130, Adam dying at 930 years of age. Cain's age when murdering Abel is not recorded, but he lived as a marked murderer to probably take a sister or maybe a daughter of Abel, or maybe a granddaughter or other relative while a marked murderer to found a new city named after his own son.

I take from that God warns us not to mask or lie to Him bout our sins. He warned Cain that sin was at the door, like He warned Adam before Adam fell in sin. He warns man. But even when we sin after being warned He is ready to forgive upon our repentance. What a wonderful God!

I wonder some about how history might have been changed had Cain repented. Instead he contributed to a world of sinners that unlike Seth's influence, led to the necessity of drowning the world of wicked men.

Dec 18, 2013
Not really sure where to begin here lol. A lot of the questions herein can be answered simply just by reading this specific chapter. So I guess let's read the chapter 4 of the book of Genesis.

Genesis 4

1 And Adam knew Eve his wife; and she conceived, and bare Cain, and said, I have gotten a man from the Lord.
[SUP]2 [/SUP]And she again bare his brother Abel. And Abel was a keeper of sheep, but Cain was a tiller of the ground.
[SUP]3 [/SUP]And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the Lord.
[SUP]4 [/SUP]And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the Lord had respect unto Abel and to his offering:
[SUP]5 [/SUP]But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell.
[SUP]6 [/SUP]And the Lord said unto Cain, Why art thou wroth? and why is thy countenance fallen?
[SUP]7 [/SUP]If thou doest well, shalt thou not be accepted? and if thou doest not well, sin lieth at the door. And unto thee shall be his desire, and thou shalt rule over him.

[SUP]8 [/SUP]And Cain talked with Abel his brother: and it came to pass, when they were in the field, that Cain rose up against Abel his brother, and slew him.
[SUP]9 [/SUP]And the Lord said unto Cain, Where is Abel thy brother? And he said, I know not: Am I my brother's keeper?
[SUP]10 [/SUP]And he said, What hast thou done? the voice of thy brother's blood crieth unto me from the ground.
[SUP]11 [/SUP]And now art thou cursed from the earth, which hath opened her mouth to receive thy brother's blood from thy hand;
[SUP]12 [/SUP]When thou tillest the ground, it shall not henceforth yield unto thee her strength; a fugitive and a vagabond shalt thou be in the earth.

[SUP]13 [/SUP]And Cain said unto the Lord, My punishment is greater than I can bear.
[SUP]14 [/SUP]Behold, thou hast driven me out this day from the face of the earth; and from thy face shall I be hid; and I shall be a fugitive and a vagabond in the earth; and it shall come to pass, that every one that findeth me shall slay me.
[SUP]15 [/SUP]And the Lord said unto him, Therefore whosoever slayeth Cain, vengeance shall be taken on him sevenfold. And the Lord set a mark upon Cain, lest any finding him should kill him.
[SUP]16 [/SUP]And Cain went out from the presence of the Lord, and dwelt in the land of Nod, on the east of Eden.

[SUP]17 [/SUP]And Cain knew his wife; and she conceived, and bare Enoch: and he builded a city, and called the name of the city, after the name of his son, Enoch.
[SUP]18 [/SUP]And unto Enoch was born Irad: and Irad begat Mehujael: and Mehujael begat Methusael: and Methusael begat Lamech.
[SUP]19 [/SUP]And Lamech took unto him two wives: the name of the one was Adah, and the name of the other Zillah.
[SUP]20 [/SUP]And Adah bare Jabal: he was the father of such as dwell in tents, and of such as have cattle.
[SUP]21 [/SUP]And his brother's name was Jubal: he was the father of all such as handle the harp and organ.
[SUP]22 [/SUP]And Zillah, she also bare Tubalcain, an instructer of every artificer in brass and iron: and the sister of Tubalcain was Naamah.
[SUP]23 [/SUP]And Lamech said unto his wives, Adah and Zillah, Hear my voice; ye wives of Lamech, hearken unto my speech: for I have slain a man to my wounding, and a young man to my hurt.
[SUP]24 [/SUP]If Cain shall be avenged sevenfold, truly Lamech seventy and sevenfold.

[SUP]25 [/SUP]And Adam knew his wife again; and she bare a son, and called his name Seth: For God, said she, hath appointed me another seed instead of Abel, whom Cain slew.
[SUP]26 [/SUP]And to Seth, to him also there was born a son; and he called his name Enos: then began men to call upon the name of the Lord.

E

eternally-gratefull

What we have here is the age old conflict. Abel hearing Gods word and obeying Gods word as God gave it and Cain hearing Gods word and changing it to suit him despite what God clearly stated. God offers Cain forgiveness with the Lamb at the door but Cain rejects Gods gracious offer. Cain preferred his righteousness to that which God established.

I say Cain was not as much flippant as he was just outright rebellious toward God.

For the cause of Christ
Roger

ah yes cain, the inventer of human good, or using good works to please God. It did not start with the jews after all

E

eternally-gratefull

ok has anyone figured out the meaning of this op? I have read all 4 pages, and am lost..lol

V

VioletReigns

Here's the clincher (for me). The Lord God is, was and ever more will be Omnipotent. He was not surprised at all with the fall of man. In fact, He had to have known BEFORE mankind fell that Adam would sin. God created man knowing he was going to fall short and screw the whole world up. Think about that. It was in the Lord's perfect plan.

I get a glimpse of that reality when I think how I chose to get pregnant and then birth my children, knowing there was 100% possibility they would screw up at times and more than likely break my heart and neglect my love for them. But I did it anyway. Why? Because I wanted to have children so I could love them. It would bring me joy to love them and make them joyful, too in this life.

God created us for His own pleasure in this way. Except He made a perfect way of restoring us when we do fall. Jesus Christ.

V

VioletReigns

ok has anyone figured out the meaning of this op? I have read all 4 pages, and am lost..lol
LOL! Honestly, I got lost on the op immediately. I'm just along for the ride hoping it concludes with a great synopsis. :D

Sep 16, 2014

For the cause of Christ
Roger
Just for clarification, Cain and Abel were not said to be twins from one conception. It only says Eve again bare. She did that many times. The record of birth twins in the Bible has been clearly stated, as with Esau and Jacob. Looking at Genesis 5:3-5 (KJV)
[SUP]3 [/SUP] And Adam lived an hundred and thirty years, and begat a son in his own likeness, after his image; and called his name Seth:
[SUP]4 [/SUP] And the days of Adam after he had begotten Seth were eight hundred years: and he begat sons and daughters:
[SUP]5 [/SUP] And all the days that Adam lived were nine hundred and thirty years: and he died.

Would you assume all that happened from one conception? Of course not. It is recorded that Adam only "knew" his wife twice, to bear Cain and Seth. She bore all the other sons and daughters with the fair assumption that in all births Adam "knew" Eve to conceive them.

It's a minor point, I realize, but I think we ought to maintain scriptural accuracy.

I agree completely with the last part of your quote.