Christians from Non-Christian Homes

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Are you from a Non-Christian home?

• Yes, I am.

Votes: 21 61.8%
  • No, I am not

Votes: 13 38.2%

• Total voters
N

Nancyer

We went to church from time to time when I was young, but as I got older we went less frequently and then stopped all together. And nothing was talked about, even on the way home from church, mom and dad didn't discuss the sermon or anything. I knew what drawer the bible was kept in, if you know what I mean. My sister found the Lord around 1985, when she met her husband, a Baptist and joined his church, which upset my father terribly, which neither of us could understand because he wasn't a devout church goer, we didn't even think he cared one way or the other (we were "raised" Methodist, though obviously not strongly). She tried to get me involved as well but I just wasn't interested then. I did believe in God but in a very general way and knew nothing about the Bible. Our mom didn't believe God had anything to do with life and didn't believe in heaven because she couldn't see it, when she looked up there was nothing there so there's nothing there.

When my husband and I separated in late 2005 (his idea, not mine), I started searching for something, but wasn't sure what and it wasn't because I was suddenly "single" but something was missing. (I haven't dated since we've been apart) I got interested in The Secret, A New Earth, then The Tao. A lot of it made sense but not completely, it was like it almost fit but not quite. I was channel surfing one afternoon and landed on Joyce Meyer and couldn't turn her off. Suddenly it did all make sense. There was a reason for everything - God. She was so down to earth, direct and even funny. She didn't sugar coat anything. She told her own story and how she got through it and how she's changed since coming to the Lord. But what she was telling me to do just seemed right. All of it. I didn't have that big "moment" but I found a church in Jan. 2009 and on the 3rd Sunday morning I walked in and said "I'm home!" I attended their Bible studies twice a week. My kids are also very involved and I am Vice President of our United Methodist Women's Unit. My husband (still apart) doesn't believe in any of this and continues to question any points we bring up, but he knows the kids like going to church and he doesn't fight me on it. I pray for him daily, that the Lord will open his heart and reveal Himself, but my husband is an angry person inside, very mistrustful of anyone, very suspicious.

Hope this wasn't too long. It's really the Reader's Digest version.
God Bless you always,
Nancer

Nov 26, 2012
We went to church from time to time when I was young, but as I got older we went less frequently and then stopped all together. And nothing was talked about, even on the way home from church, mom and dad didn't discuss the sermon or anything. I knew what drawer the bible was kept in, if you know what I mean. My sister found the Lord around 1985, when she met her husband, a Baptist and joined his church, which upset my father terribly, which neither of us could understand because he wasn't a devout church goer, we didn't even think he cared one way or the other (we were "raised" Methodist, though obviously not strongly). She tried to get me involved as well but I just wasn't interested then. I did believe in God but in a very general way and knew nothing about the Bible. Our mom didn't believe God had anything to do with life and didn't believe in heaven because she couldn't see it, when she looked up there was nothing there so there's nothing there.

When my husband and I separated in late 2005 (his idea, not mine), I started searching for something, but wasn't sure what and it wasn't because I was suddenly "single" but something was missing. (I haven't dated since we've been apart) I got interested in The Secret, A New Earth, then The Tao. A lot of it made sense but not completely, it was like it almost fit but not quite. I was channel surfing one afternoon and landed on Joyce Meyer and couldn't turn her off. Suddenly it did all make sense. There was a reason for everything - God. She was so down to earth, direct and even funny. She didn't sugar coat anything. She told her own story and how she got through it and how she's changed since coming to the Lord. But what she was telling me to do just seemed right. All of it. I didn't have that big "moment" but I found a church in Jan. 2009 and on the 3rd Sunday morning I walked in and said "I'm home!" I attended their Bible studies twice a week. My kids are also very involved and I am Vice President of our United Methodist Women's Unit. My husband (still apart) doesn't believe in any of this and continues to question any points we bring up, but he knows the kids like going to church and he doesn't fight me on it. I pray for him daily, that the Lord will open his heart and reveal Himself, but my husband is an angry person inside, very mistrustful of anyone, very suspicious.

Hope this wasn't too long. It's really the Reader's Digest version.
God Bless you always,
Nancer
This is really rather amazing to read! It was all God's doing and it's amazing to see how he used you and helped you. I'm proud of you for praying for your husband. You are way older than me, but that doesn't mean a thing. I'm proud of you!

L

lsbrit

While searching Google about being the only Christian in my family, I came upon your post. I was raised Catholic. I am divorced and the mother of a 21 year old. My daughter is unsure of what she believes. My family considers themselves Catholic, but it is not a priority in their lives. I truly accepted Jesus in February of 2012 and my journey since has been incredible. This Easter was very difficult for me. Church (and my church family) was wonderful, but my time spent with my family felt incredibly sad. I really felt out of place with my family for the first time in my life. The meaning of Easter has changed for me. Although I always tried to remember what we were really celebrating in years past, my relationship with Jesus has grown so much that the entire day felt different to me. As my family ran around with their focus on making food, decorations and egg hunts perfect, I sat there feeling like what Jesus has done for us is completely meaningless to all of them. I felt very alone and feel a heaviness in my heart ever since.

Nov 26, 2012
While searching Google about being the only Christian in my family, I came upon your post. I was raised Catholic. I am divorced and the mother of a 21 year old. My daughter is unsure of what she believes. My family considers themselves Catholic, but it is not a priority in their lives. I truly accepted Jesus in February of 2012 and my journey since has been incredible. This Easter was very difficult for me. Church (and my church family) was wonderful, but my time spent with my family felt incredibly sad. I really felt out of place with my family for the first time in my life. The meaning of Easter has changed for me. Although I always tried to remember what we were really celebrating in years past, my relationship with Jesus has grown so much that the entire day felt different to me. As my family ran around with their focus on making food, decorations and egg hunts perfect, I sat there feeling like what Jesus has done for us is completely meaningless to all of them. I felt very alone and feel a heaviness in my heart ever since.
1) I think it's cool how this was found on google!
2) I know exactly how you feel, I was able to convince my mom to go to our Easter church service so I wouldn't be alone and she got the entire family to go, but they didn't like it. My day was just about the same as yours. When family activities were done I went to my room and spent it with God. I really sucked because it was hard to enjoy what they enjoyed.
3) I am proud of you for sticking through it and glad you decided to share your story with me. Sometimes it takes courage to say something about one's family when you don't want to accidentally hurt them.
4) I will be praying for your family, including you and your daughter. Keep a smile on your face and keep growing strongly with God. It's one of the best things you can do.

Nov 26, 2012
I wanted to shout out a huge thanks for anyone who has taken the time to read this thread. I know not all of what I said makes sense, but hearing all these stories about families and how we all struggle in some way makes it... comforting. Knowing that other's are struggling like you, praying constantly like you, and never giving up on a loved one.

I wanted to share the biggest thing in my family now. My mom hated God for many years on end. Some of you may have read some of my blogs called Letters to God. Each one is something I wanted to share in a talk I had with God. My biggest prayer for many years, was for my mom to find God. For her heart to be broken apart for Him, so he may be let in. Through this very tough time in my life, God did that. My mom has been attending church, I caught her reading her bible the other night. She is willing to listen to what I say about God, and she even said she is slowly working on having a new faith in God. It's going to be a long process I know, but I'm still praying for her and rejoicing after all those years of praying for her.

PEOPLE! Prayer is amazing! If I remember correctly, I've been praying for my mom for about..... 4-5 years now, and God is showing that he is listening and now even answering my prayer! I never gave up on her. Know this reader, never give up on God because he never gave up on you.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
I do not know if my post is relevant, since I didn't become a Christian till I left home lived a wretched life till God saved me at age 26. I married a Christian man, and some of our children are following the Lord, some on the journey home. They all were dedicated to the Lord, and raised as Christians.

My grandparents were Christians, and they forced my parents to send me to Sunday School, where I memorized copious amounts of the Bible for a 6 to 8 year old! It was those verses that started to bring me back.

2 years ago, my father become very sick with congestive heart failure and I was able to introduce him to Christ. He was on fire for God the last 5 months he lived. So do not despair of your family members getting saved.

I would say pray, pray pray and then pray some more. Don't give up!

Jesus and his Word have influenced me the most in my life, and following Jesus is a pleasure each day, each hour and each minute of the day. He has blessed me and transformed me, and given me a ministry.

I am sorry to hear you are struggling in a non-Christian home, but never fail to remember God has given you this mission field for your first assignment.

God bless!

L

littlewoman

I'm from a non-Christian family. My grandma was Christian, but she died before my mom get married, so I didn't see her in person at all. My mom was not a Christian, but she bought a Bible and put it on our bookshelf just to commemorate her mother. My father read it and he thought it is a book full of wisdom, so he taught me and my brother about Bible stories when we were kids. Unfortunately, my father didn't have correct understanding on Bible, many things he taught us are wrong but he himself didn't realize that because he never had any gathering with other Christians, he is a too isolated person. However, I remembered there is a savior in this world named Jesus from those Bible stories. So when I grow up, I encountered many difficulties which I cannot handle by myself, at this time, I remembered Jesus. I knelt down to pray at the first time. Half year later, my problem got solved. So I went to a local church to give thanks to Jesus, because I thought he must be there. On that day, I was moved by the preaching named "sinners repent". From then on, I went to church each Sunday. I met many foreigners from that local church. Later they taught me Bible. So little by little, I know Jesus deeper and deeper. Now, I'm still in the process of growing. Now My parents and my brother all proclaim that they believe Jesus is the savior. This is my story.