Christmas Card Controversy

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

Magenta

Jul 3, 2015
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and art is usually meant to be interpreted by the one viewing it. What surprises me is that they were surprised by the negative feedback they got. Really? Makes me wonder what they expected. To show women and girls tied up with their mouths taped shut overtly invites negative responses. Well, no doubt they got their fifteen minutes of fame. I wonder how it has impacted their Christmas celebrations.

Angela53510

Jan 24, 2011
I thought the picture is appalling! I do get the "joke" and bad taste does not describe it.

It is saying all females need to shut their mouths or someone will do it for them. It is an insult to abused women everywhere. Personally I don't care who thought of the idea, the message is clear. Women of any age should not be able to express themselves, because it interferes with the deep and important thoughts of men of all ages!

After all the work I have done with a used women I'm outraged! I just wish I had never looked at that card. It will haunt me for a little by time!

A

AboundingGrace

I wonder what would happen if the genders were* reversed. Would there be as great of an outcry?
If they were looking for a laugh, then there'd certainly be more of a laugh in that reversed version than they got in the present version. :) I say that they should do a follow up of the reverse.

L

ladylynn

I thought the picture is appalling! I do get the "joke" and bad taste does not describe it.

It is saying all females need to shut their mouths or someone will do it for them. It is an insult to abused women everywhere. Personally I don't care who thought of the idea, the message is clear. Women of any age should not be able to express themselves, because it interferes with the deep and important thoughts of men of all ages!

After all the work I have done with a used women I'm outraged! I just wish I had never looked at that card. It will haunt me for a little by time!

I agree with you Angela although not as upset as you (probably because you work with abused woman and have seen some horrendous things) But I did not like that card at all either!! Taping the females mouths shut and tying them up was in bad taste for sure and the son with the thumbs up really bothered me. It sends a negative message about men and women.

jsr1221

Jul 7, 2013
There is also a Christmas card from Florida with three women standing in the background with shorts that say "ho". As in "Ho. Ho. Ho. Merry Christmas." but since it only has one word on each shirt, and it's a woman wearing it, people think it's implying women are that type of person.

jsr1221

Jul 7, 2013

If it's the women that came up with the idea, though, I don't think she was saying "Hey girls, it's okay to get tied up and abused. Because that's what love is."

Feb 7, 2015
....................................Wheeeee!

R

RachelBibleStudent

i agree that it was derogatory and tasteless and sent the wrong message...

but i am going to give this family the benefit of the doubt...i think they just had the same awkward moment as that person at a party who makes a comment that comes out -entirely- wrong and everyone hears it as something awful and stares at them...

and this is coming from someone who is more feminist than the feminists so i am certainly not predisposed to favor them...

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2015
I do find that I am appreciating my wife much more than before I read this thread.

K

kaylagrl

I do find that I am appreciating my wife much more than before I read this thread.

Not knowing the husband and wife we cannot make a comment on the situation between them. But you'd have to agree that it's not a respectful way to treat women. Men dont like cliches any more than women do.