Church of Scotland to allow openly gay and women clergy

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.
D

danschance

YAY one more church that is getting closer to knocking the cross off the steeple
Exactly. I wonder if openly gay ministers take a pair of scissors to the bible and cut out verses that call homosexuality a sin? What a tragic pathetic joke to allow openly gay ministers to lead a church.

D

danschance

It’s strange how most of the violent and hateful verses are apparently “taken out of context” but the anti-gay verses are apparently still 100% true.

What do you mean by violent and hateful verses? I dont understand your post at all.

J

jinx

It’s strange how most of the violent and hateful verses are apparently “taken out of context” but the anti-gay verses are apparently still 100% true. I am a generous person so I will provide you with some cream to go with the cherries you pick.

The Bible is either all God's word or none of it is.
I provided scripture that says GOD is against homosexuality, I can't it if you aint getting the words in black and white.

L

livingepistle

May 18, 2013

"France became the latest country to authorise same-sex marriage on ... to pass the law, promised by Mr Hollande in his presidential election ..."

03 MAY 2013
Rhode Island passes gay marriage law
Updated 18 May 2013, 20:08 AEST
France has become the 14th country to legalise same-sex marriage, with President Francois Hollande signing it into law following months of bitter political debate.

France has become the 14th country to legalise same-sex marriage, with President Francois Hollande signing it into law following months of bitter political debate.

AFP - Rhode Island on Thursday became the 10th US state to legalize same-sex marriage, joining the rest of New England on the controversial issue and turning the region into a haven for homosexual rights.

Look Up! Our redemption draws close. This is happy news for the Body of Christ because Jesus told us that social changes against his word would begin to happen the closer it gets to His return for the Church--His Bride. These headlines is the Bible being fulfilled before our eyes. :D

Pray and fast and search the Word that we do not get caught off guard like the "five foolish virgins". There are many that will embrace sin and call it normal. Let them. Those that are not of us we will be able to spot them by the lifestyle they choose to live. If it doesn't measure up with the Word, they are not part of the Body of Christ.

Luke 17:28-30:

Likewise as it was also in the days of Lot: They ate, they drank, they bought, they sold, they planted, they built; but on the day that Lot went out of Sodom it rained fire and brimstone from heaven and destroyed them all. Even so will it be in the day when the Son of Man is revealed

L

livingepistle

Exactly. I wonder if openly gay ministers take a pair of scissors to the bible and cut out verses that call homosexuality a sin? What a tragic pathetic joke to allow openly gay ministers to lead a church.
I am confused why bring it into the Church.:confused: Satan is bold and we must unite. Even a heterosexual evil doer won't publicize there sexual activity; why promote a sexual lifestyle? :confused: Have sex with whom they want and in the privacy of their living environments why make it public?

H

HollyLoree

So are you saying then that even in a billion billion billion years, God will still think that 'hate the sin/love the sinner' is a fair way to go about dealing with homosexuals?
A billion billion billion years from now there won't be any homosexuals. There will be no homosexuals in heaven. Remember?

H

hattiebod

I can begin to see how we will be allowed our faith...as long as it conforms to the beliefs of those who have none. As they will be the ones in control of our lives. If we stand for the Word...working will become harder. As fewer stand....isolation in society will increase. As 'Christianity' is viewed as hateful, homophobic, exclusive and fundamental. So many now do not know Gods Word and interpret anything that is known, through a world view, not Gods. <><

D

danschance

No amount of reasoning will change the mindset of a troll. "Crucifiction" is interested in Twistianity not Christianity. No christian would ever post anything about rape and genocide in the context of scripture.

Last edited by a moderator:
May 12, 2013
It’s strange how most of the violent and hateful verses are apparently “taken out of context” but the anti-gay verses are apparently still 100% true. I am a generous person so I will provide you with some cream to go with the cherries you pick.

No amount of reasoning will change the mindset of a troll. "Crucifiction" is interested in Twistianity not Christianity. No christian would ever post anything about rape and genocide in the context of scripture.
Oops I forgot the cream....

1_skim_cream_P5250743.jpg

L

livingepistle

I can begin to see how we will be allowed our faith...as long as it conforms to the beliefs of those who have none. As they will be the ones in control of our lives. If we stand for the Word...working will become harder. As fewer stand....isolation in society will increase. As 'Christianity' is viewed as hateful, homophobic, exclusive and fundamental. So many now do not know Gods Word and interpret anything that is known, through a world view, not Gods. <><
The "signs-of-the-times" we see are truly depressing when considering how perfect God made all humanity. Being the Lord's witness that His prophecies came true in our generation is awesome; Word of prophecy fulfilled and exciting that we will "soon called home to be with the Lord" forever.

So sad that same-sex has become a religion and worshiped. Their "god", Satan, has told them it is their rights to live the way they choose against our Lord's commandments; idolatry made public law, truly this is men and women worshiping themselves. They are unable to produce life, so they adopt life in rejection to the natural course of reproduction.

Persecution will soon be upon the Church because we are the only resistance to this form of devil worship and idolatry. I pray that the Lord make me stronger and increase my zeal to preach the truth in the face of opposition.

Jesus: Lord of lords, King of kings, and God against all other gods; Jesus reigns.

Keep the Faith and pray for me.
Maranatha

J

jinx

1Co 6:9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
1Co 6:10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.
I don't know how much more clearer the bible can be on the subject, and this verse isn't out of context unless there is another heaven we go to after we die that I don't know about.

If there is, please share where this other heaven is found.

J

jinx

I'm referring to the verses that contain genocide, slavery, rape, sexism, etc.

The topic is a church in Scotland allowing gay women as clergy. If you want to talk about the other stuff, by all means, do it.

May 12, 2013
I don't know how much more clearer the bible can be on the subject, and this verse isn't out of context unless there is another heaven we go to after we die that I don't know about.

If there is, please share where this other heaven is found.
1Co 6:9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neitherfornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,
1Co 6:10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.

They still get to go if they accept Jesus, right?

M

Moetown

I saw a recent news article stating that the Church of Scotland will allow it's congregations to decide whether to allow gay and women clergy or not. BBC News - Church of Scotland General Assembly votes to allow gay ministers

I understand the debate over women in the clergy and see both sides of the debate. I do not, however, understand the debate over gay clergy.

What is the biblical basis for allowing gay clergy?

How does one reconcile allowing openly gay clergymen with the various scripture references stating that homosexual acts are sin and that the sexually immoral (a term which I think includes homosexuals) will not inherit the kingdom of God (Lev. 18:22, Rom. 1:27, 1 Cor. 6:9, 1 Tim. 1:10, Gal. 5:19, Rev. 21:8, Rev. 22:15)?

I sincerely want to understand this matter from a biblical perspective and do not mean to offend anyone.
Here is a cut and paste from a post I did in another forum on same sex marriage in the US. It covers the types of OT law vs NT law, modern application, and the common attempts to slam the conservative stance, while also covering the Pro Homosexual Fundamentalist appraoch. It is short given the broad issues covered, but will help you understand the thought process of the opponents:

For those of you making attmepts at Christian theology and quoting law from the OT, about clothing, trimming hair, etc., here is a quick lesson for you to better understand Biblical law.
It has to do with different types of Old Testament laws. There is ceremonial, civil, and moral law. When Christ died on the cross and rose again, the use of ceremonial law basically ended. Civil law is the more tricky part as it often times was based on cultural norms, so it is usually currently used to shape/guide current conduct, . Moral law is immutable unchangeable law.

The cutting of hair, multiple cloths, and not marking/tattoing yourself for the dead (practiced by cults to call upon spirits/gods) type laws were often based in civil law so that the Jews could show themselves separate from the other religions of the time that would wear mixed pattern clothing or cut their hair in a certain way to show their loyalty to their cult, i.e., modern application, don't get a scorpio tattoo since you do not beleive in astrology.

For those Christians groups that believe that homosexuality is not a sin, they use the civil law argument that those laws were actually about the use of male temple prostitutes and not about moral law (a reasonable argument if you look into it, but not cut and dry by any means). But if you look at other versus throughout scripture, mainly the one pointed out earlier about a man laying with other men as they would with a woman (Romans Ch1, New Testament), that states it as "unnatural," "shameful lusts" and "sin/error" it forces it further into the moral law realm, which again is unmutable.

Mar 26, 2013
A billion billion billion years from now there won't be any homosexuals. There will be no homosexuals in heaven. Remember?
oh right, because you hate homosexuals so you believe god does too, I see
I just hope it doesn't take a billion years for people to stop their hatin'

M

Moetown

I encourage you, however, to show love and gentleness as you attempt to reproach others/stand your ground. To express self righteousness or hate only casues you to appear a bigot which is what Satan is trying to paint the Biblical Church as, one big house of hateful bigots.

M

Moetown

OK, that was just coincidence. I did not read jmlidea's post prior to my last post. :p

J

jinx

1Co 6:9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neitherfornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,

They still get to go if they accept Jesus, right?
They must follow the plan of salvation which is found in Acts 2:38
Act 2:38 Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost.
And then once they receive the HOLY SPIRIT they will have power to overcome such sins,

I never liked the term "receive JESUS"

I believe that we have to believe and repent and be baptized and then HE fills us with HIS SPIRIT. HE does the receiving. HE receives us because we are the ones lost, HE isn't lost.