Could You See Yourself Living in a Tiny House?

• Christian Chat is a moderated online Christian community allowing Christians around the world to fellowship with each other in real time chat via webcam, voice, and text, with the Christian Chat app. You can also start or participate in a Bible-based discussion here in the Christian Chat Forums, where members can also share with each other their own videos, pictures, or favorite Christian music.

If you are a Christian and need encouragement and fellowship, we're here for you! If you are not a Christian but interested in knowing more about Jesus our Lord, you're also welcome! Want to know what the Bible says, and how you can apply it to your life? Join us!

To make new Christian friends now around the world, click here to join Christian Chat.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Hey Everyone,

One of my current fascinations is "The Tiny House Movement", in which people are choosing to live in extremely small spaces. As a long-term single (with no signs of a finding a significant other anytime soon), I've watched several shows on these houses with a half-hearted thought that they might be a possible living option. After all, the owners sing the praises of a lower cost of living, minimizing their carbon footprint, and the joy of learning to live with (a lot) less.

However, as much as I find them to be intriguing... I'm just not sold on the idea of a composting toilet.

To be completely honest, when I got married back in 1997, our starter home was a double-wide manufactured home for $36,000 (my friends teased me for "living in a trailer", but at the time, it was an affordable living option.) All the utilities combined (including the *cough, cough* landline phone, were less than $200, and often closer to $150).

In this video, the woman explains that if she would have had someone build this house for her, it would have cost around $40,000. Now, I know prices have gone up, but I just did a quick check and double-wide manufactured homes (similar to what I had before) are around $45,000.

And, it would include 2 FLUSHING toilets.

I'm perfectly content with my current living situation, but I like seeing what's out there because you never know when your life situation might change.

Could you see yourself living in a tiny house? (What's YOUR idea of an ideal living space--traditional house? Apartment? Living in a tent but traveling all over the world?)

[video=youtube;j88Ao2DYSZo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j88Ao2DYSZo&ebc=ANyPxKpUSSEbYzc1Y7_fcg3dJv Lb_6b7LCDD7eRwKwEo9wM2TkV7fOz35RZk86Hc3QMlc_dIQ2P8 GFjoeUPExeVYK-8y1bbjeg[/video]

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
nope, me likes to have space.
Me too, Wise.

It's kind of a ironic.

I'm a single person and used to being alone... But at the same time, I need space to stretch, roam, and move about.

Mar 22, 2013
Indiana
Me too, Wise.

It's kind of a ironic.

I'm a single person and used to being alone... But at the same time, I need space to stretch, roam, and move about.
im looking at buying a place that has a acre of property. the house needs work. but im after the space.

T

Tintin

I'm 6'5" and mildly clumsy so a small living space wouldn't suit me. I don't need a large house, I just need something that I can swing my arms around in without breaking my fingers/hands.

A

AuntieAnt

No. And here's my reason:

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
Here's an option for those of you who are planning on a family:

[video=youtube;6YUE8ykfa7o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6YUE8ykfa7o[/video]

BruceWayne

Aug 7, 2013
Gotham City
Nope. I need space. I couldn't even live in an apartment, but that's more to do with not wanting neighbors so close lol. I prefer just a normal two-story house with a good back/front yard.

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
For me, the most intriguing thing about tiny houses is that they utilize every last inch of space, which is something I wish I could do in my own living space, but without making it feel cluttered.

I'm someone who likes to have as much storage space as possible, even though I don't completely fill it all up.

I guess I feel like I have to have at least a few empty spaces... because those spots resemble hope.

The hope of a future in which new adventures... and maybe even a new "someone"... will someday occupy that space.

And sometimes I'm not sure if I'm talking about the "spaces" in my home... or in my heart... or if there is even a difference.

Tinkerbell725

Jul 19, 2014
Philippines Age 40
I have no problem living in a tiny house. I have all the space I need. The world is so big. A big house will require a lot of money that I would rather spend in travelling.

Feb 7, 2015
Hey Everyone,

One of my current fascinations is "The Tiny House Movement", in which people are choosing to live in extremely small spaces. As a long-term single (with no signs of a finding a significant other anytime soon), I've watched several shows on these houses with a half-hearted thought that they might be a possible living option. After all, the owners sing the praises of a lower cost of living, minimizing their carbon footprint, and the joy of learning to live with (a lot) less.

However, as much as I find them to be intriguing... I'm just not sold on the idea of a composting toilet.

To be completely honest, when I got married back in 1997, our starter home was a double-wide manufactured home for $36,000 (my friends teased me for "living in a trailer", but at the time, it was an affordable living option.) All the utilities combined (including the *cough, cough* landline phone, were less than $200, and often closer to $150).

In this video, the woman explains that if she would have had someone build this house for her, it would have cost around $40,000. Now, I know prices have gone up, but I just did a quick check and double-wide manufactured homes (similar to what I had before) are around $45,000.

I'm perfectly content with my current living situation, but I like seeing what's out there because you never know when your life situation might change.

Could you see yourself living in a tiny house? (What's YOUR idea of an ideal living space--traditional house? Apartment? Living in a tent but traveling all over the world?)

]
Never in a million years!!!!!

K

kaylagrl

Hey Everyone,

[video=youtube;j88Ao2DYSZo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j88Ao2DYSZo&ebc=ANyPxKpUSSEbYzc1Y7_fcg3dJv Lb_6b7LCDD7eRwKwEo9wM2TkV7fOz35RZk86Hc3QMlc_dIQ2P8 GFjoeUPExeVYK-8y1bbjeg[/video]

Well hubby is 6'4 so thats one reason its a no go. Plus when I traveled in ministry I spent half the year in a 33ft motor home with four adults and two dogs. I did that for 20yrs. So I like loottttttts of space now days. :)

kodiak

Mar 8, 2015
I would possibly be open to the idea if it is just me....
If I were to do something like this, I would probably just have a few rooms, maybe like a small cabin, but it would have to be on the ground and not on wheels. Having spent a couple of months, not being able to leave, in a small hospital room and being perfectly fine with it, I think it would work for me.

Get a piece of land in the country around here, have a room with kitchen and living room all in one, then put like a loft/room above part of it for a bedroom. Throw a bathroom in there somewhere.Put a screened porch, keep mosquitoes and other pests out, in the front and on a piece of land possible near some sort of body of water, even a stream. I like small and having that porch would help if I needed space and would give me a peaceful area to sit and read or whatever.

If a family were to live in one of these tiny houses, it could get crazy. I have read that is why many people abandon smaller houses, they get on each others nerves.

A

AuntieAnt

Those things are among my greatest fears.
Yes, I'm not fond of them either. Have you ever seen or been near one? My family and I have seen our fair share in both Ohio and Pennsylvania. Yikes! They are so loud like freight trains roaring around you.

Mar 11, 2016
Singapore
abigail.pro
Oh I love talking about houses! Lol. I can live in both small and large spaces. I have no preference tbh. I mean, this:

39MMArchitects-Oceanique-Bedroom.jpg

Can be just as good as this (considering the costs, and except this one seriously needs to replace that vintage PC):

A bigger house is easier to design because of the space allowance. A smaller one, is a challenge and it thrills me! I like to do everything possible for all my stuff to fit in my bedroom AND still make it look decent. I'm renting an apartment with 4 other friends (I'm sharing the rest of the apartment with them) and the owner doesn't allow us to drill holes! If I had that freedom, I'd have bought a bunk bed and made a small studio.

Also, if cost wasn't a problem, yeah I'd get a much bigger space and get an architect to design the whole thing! But if small space is the only option, I'd be just as content! Aaand I'd have more reasons to go out!

seoulsearch

OutWrite Trouble
May 23, 2009
No. And here's my reason:

True story:

Several years ago some of my family members were having breakfast as usual, when they happened to glance out the window... and saw a small funnel making its way across the horizon. It was zig-zagging left and right, snapping all the tall, majestic trees in its path as if they were toothpicks.

My family had an orchard at the time, and the tornado took out over 90% of the trees, but by the grace of God, it totally missed the house (even though it destroyed all the trees near it), and no one was hurt.

The farm as they knew it was lost, but they were able to salvage the land--and eventually use it for other crops.

Sep 6, 2013
I would love living in a SMALL house, but a "tiny house" may be a bit too extreme for me. When we moved 4 years ago from a 2500 sq ft home into an 800 sq ft home, I was pleasantly surprised by how cozy and efficient it was. I got rid of tons of junk I didn't need, and had more than enough space for what I did need. I loved it! And with having two teenage daughters, we were all brought much closer as a family due to our need to share space. We could literally SEE each other from just about anywhere in the house. I think that a 500 sq ft home would be just about perfect for me.

My problem with the Tiny House concept is that they really are way too expensive. Plus, I do want a washer/dryer and a working toilet and shower. I think the Tiny House is too constrictive in that it must be built on a trailer frame in order to be moved around. If I were going to build a small house, I would probably want to take that general design and efficiency, and build it on the ground without such restrictions.

tiny-caregiver-cottage-1.jpg

You know those "shed" kits you can buy at Lowe's or Home Depot? You could probably build one and finish it out for $10-15k and have a very tidy little house. Much cheaper than $40k for a Tiny House on a trailer axle. (Although I know there are some legal issues avoided by putting it on a trailer.)